Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Finally, I can use a powered pallet jack at home instead of work with the power of vr!

Next up, forklift VR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Leal posted:

Next up, forklift VR

I mean, Shenmue 3 comes out in a week, there's hope.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Truga posted:

Yeah at first I thought vive staying warm while just plugged in was dumb, then Iunplugged it once, and then when I started playing lenses immediately fogged up.

Now I use wireless so it happens every time in the summer, since it's unplugged most of the time :rip:

I leave my poo poo plugged in but Index is a lot less fog prone than expected, way less than gen1/1.5 sets but I don't see it mentioned much. Likely the airgap between the dual element lenses makes them work like doublepane windows, which also insulates your eyes a bit more so even though it runs hotter than earlier hmd you don't really notice as much. The audio is a game changer of course but quality of life features like comfort/fogging add more than they get credit for and despite the wire I don't at all regret picking one up. Edge to edge clarity (worth the purchase price of glare in loading screens) and increased vertical fov is a godsend in most sims and of course games benefit from it as well as just hanging out in vr. Not sure why this turned into a used car commercial but the lack of fogging got me on a role

*slaps roof of Index*

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
You can also buy a 3D-printed dealie that lets you mount a 40mm fan in the Index. It makes Thrill of the Fight sessions much less sweaty.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Walrus posted:

wow, extremely strong Half Life vibes

Th big Gordon mood

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just saw an ad for echo arena/oculus during the Packers game :psypop:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

A bunch of sections in Pistol Whip could certainly be less narrowly packed. Heh.

Also, how can anyone play this with the pants on. Or Beat Saber for that matter. I'm sweating like a pig.

Bike Shorts/Spandex Shorts.
Its the only way I can stream and be comfortable for more than a couple hours. Otherwise theres a good chance im in gym shorts or just boxer briefs.

Plus a fan.

Plus if its summer or hot out, AC on full tilt.

Truga posted:

Yeah at first I thought vive staying warm while just plugged in was dumb, then Iunplugged it once, and then when I started playing lenses immediately fogged up.

Now I use wireless so it happens every time in the summer, since it's unplugged most of the time :rip:

Fun thing about foggy lenses.

Most of the time, Its because your ambient temp in the room is too low. When stuff starts to dip down below 65ish in here, I get the beer can effect on my headset. A quick blast of air from the fan helps but only temporarily. The fix was keep the room temp above there, and not let it get too low if im playing sweaty hot games.

Rarely do I fog now.

Jack Trades posted:

I started getting way WAY more red numbers in Pistol Whip once I turned on beat haptics and started tapping my foot to the beat throughout the whole song.

rear end sweat is the least of my problems. I get it all up on my lenses somehow so I can't see poo poo.

Bandannas help.
Until they are soaked. But itll give you an hour or two before it starts pooling again. And even a wet bandanna is better than nothing. Tho you could just swap them.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Pistol Whip makes me upset that I already spent my money on Accounting+ and Until You Fall during the sale, even though those games are great.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just saw an ad for echo arena/oculus during the Packers game :psypop:

Me too, and it loving OWNED :swoon:

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Started playing The Forest last night. I didn't stop until 4 in the morning. They did a really good job on the vr. It actually supports the Index finger sensors. The game is really chill. I haven't started looking for the kid yet, but I have made a bunch of effigies and bone furniture.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So how low latency would I have to see on Virtual Desktop in order to make Beatsaber PC version playable? It's down to like 30ish ms in the latest release.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

So how low latency would I have to see on Virtual Desktop in order to make Beatsaber PC version playable? It's down to like 30ish ms in the latest release.

Should work as long as your network is consistent. It just depends how hardcore your brain is about latency to be honest. When we did the ALVR quest poo poo for the initial launch latency was so bad it wasnt even funny, but we were still hitting all the blocks, it just took a ton of getting used to.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Tried Lambda1VR, was cool except for the part where playing for a while made me low grade nauseous for a long time. I haven't been playing smooth motion VR games so maybe, hopefully I can get used to it.

I'm jealous of my kid, he can Rec Room with smooth motion forever with no negative side effects.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

None of the movement physics are adjusted to minimize acceleration, so it'll make you more nauseous than most other VR games with stick locomotion.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hrm, I could swear there is a slight delay between bass thumps in the sound and metronome haptics.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Wanted to bring my own VR recommendation to the thread.

Space Engine ($24.99 on Steam) is essentially a virtual planetarium/universe explorer program. It's been in development for years by a one-man team, and the first full retail release was a few months ago.

It models the universe at real scale, using astronomical catalogs to place real objects at the correct positions, with the number one goal being astronomical accuracy and realism. Procedural objects (planets, stars, star clusters, nebulae, galaxies, etc) are generated to fill in the rest of the universe. If you want to see what the sky looks like from a planet around a black hole, or that you could pluck a galaxy from the air between your fingers, this is the one for you. You can fly to basically any object you see, or use the "go-to" shortcut. You can change time speed to see orbital motion or the rotation of a planet, and you can use the "god scale" gesture, using the grip buttons and starting with your arms out wide and bringing them together, to make things appear smaller (and the reverse for them to seem bigger).

I took a few screenshots in VR earlier today.

So, despite the amount of time I've spent in it, I need to give some caveats:
  • I will fully admit that it's not really a "game". It's chill as hell to explore the universe, though.
  • If you have ample disk space, I would recommend downloading the previous (free) version, 0.9.8.0, and exploring a little bit in non-VR mode to see if this is your thing. It's not incredibly user-friendly, and you'll probably want to get a general feel for the program and how it works before trying to jump into VR.
  • There is apparently a more 'guided' experience version called Overview, which is available on the Oculus store. I have not tried this myself, but if anyone has, please let me know how it is.
  • While the planets in the Solar System are fairly blurry at ground-level as they use real data, procedural planets are much more detailed.
  • It can be fairly buggy at times, and can crash without warning. You'll almost certainly see performance hitches, especially when rendering landscapes or nebulae up close.
  • You'll want to start in Vive or Oculus mode from the Steam dialog that pops up when you launch the game. As you can probably expect, launching the wrong one will leave you with controls that don't really work.
  • You probably want to bump up the controller sensitivity for stereobase (the scale-changing gesture) on the right hand and velocity on the left hand- otherwise it takes a while to get moving.

All of that said- it's still pretty cool if you like space/astronomy, and incredibly impressive for what is basically a one-man project.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
Jumped into VR with my Quest arriving friday. I'd had the GearVR previously but the wife wanted to go to a VR arcade a little while back and loved it so I splurged and got the Quest. Loving it so far, grabbed myself pretty much all the standard games like Beat Saber, Super Hot and Vader Immortal and also Pistol Whip. The legs are a little sore from all the gaming I've done over the weekend, PW really takes a toll on you when you're not used to playing like this. Glad that some of my GearVR stuff carried over as well. The kids are nuts for Epic Roller Coaster, does anyone have some good kid friendly roller coaster videos?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Chin Strap posted:

If you saw my experiments from some pages ago (hit question mark next to my name) I actually got games to show up on my Quest a few milliseconds faster than they showed up on my Alienware g-sync monitor. This is with an RTX 2080 (for the faster encoder hardware) and an Asus RT68-U router set to 5ghz with 40mhz band gap or whatever it's called.

ALVR is still lowest latency but Virtual Desktop is crazy-high quality at the same bitrates; the foveation/slicing thing makes it look indistinguishable from PC VR.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
god drat, thrill of the fight is good. One of my earliest hangups with VR in general was just not being able to get past the kinds of game experiences you could possibly have when you can't actually feel the impact of anything in your hands, but something just clicks anyway. I think it helps to imagine it as more of a shadow boxing simulator. the tricks they pull to make it work in the minimum room scale space are pretty nifty, too.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I got pistol whip. But atm i cant stand for too long before i have to rush to the bathroom. It seems pretty good, but as others have said, i hope there is a greater choice of songs later.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Big Bad Worf posted:

god drat, thrill of the fight is good. One of my earliest hangups with VR in general was just not being able to get past the kinds of game experiences you could possibly have when you can't actually feel the impact of anything in your hands, but something just clicks anyway. I think it helps to imagine it as more of a shadow boxing simulator. the tricks they pull to make it work in the minimum room scale space are pretty nifty, too.

It helps that in boxing you don't really try to parry, you just punch or you guard.

Melee right now in VR works as long as its highly one-sided, like in Gorn or Blade & Sorcery, but yeah, the lack of feedback and resistance is pretty killer to any kind of sword duel VR idea. Blade & Sorcery tries but its just not super great. But I think boxing surprisingly works really well, punching dudes feels about right even without the resistance, your hands naturally punch and then pull back to punch again. But with a sword you swing and you expect it to get stopped at some point when you hit something, and when it doesn't and every attack just clips through your opponent, that's a problem. Punching never really gets to that point, worst case scenario your fist slightly goes into the head of the guy you're punching, but even then he's probably getting his face knocked back enough you don't notice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

A bunch of sections in Pistol Whip could certainly be less narrowly packed. Heh.

Also, how can anyone play this with the pants on. Or Beat Saber for that matter. I'm sweating like a pig.

I have a "Vornado 660 Whole Room Air Circulator" which usually lives on the floor, I stick it on my table and then aim it through the middle of my play area, does absolute wonders. I guess you could use another fan but the vornado 660 is a beast of a fan, even on low, and you can actually aim where you want to point the air flow. They're like $90 bucks on Amazon

Pro tip don't cheap out and buy the 440 it's garbage and quite a bit louder even on it's lowest setting

Unintended side effect of the vornado, since the air flow is so tight you can use it to sort of echo locate where you are in your IRL play space based on air flow/direction without having to activate the guardian waving your hands around

$90 bux for a floor fan sounds like a lot of money, but everyone who has one swears by them. I've had mine now for about 3.5 years and it's awesome

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
One day I'll stop believing the first time I punch the wall is a fluke.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Clitch posted:

One day I'll stop believing the first time I punch the wall is a fluke.

I have Index controllers making their way to me via a friend in the US (:peanut:), and all I can think is that I'm now gonna whack my actual fingers instead of the tracking rings on my Vive wand at some point.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
When I first got Pistol Whip I didn't really get a chance to play fully. Now that I have today I am 100% bought in to the hype. It definitely helps if you have enoigh rhythm to be trying to improvise patterns in time with music but I guess it would also be fun as a straight shooter

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Kinda wish Pistol Whip would play the reload sound every time you try to reload and not just if you actually had any bullets spent. I like including the reload sound in my beats.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think pistol whip just needs to visualise the beat more. I can do it fine now that i've played a bit but early on it was pretty rough trying to figure out what i was shooting to without going into the options

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I have good rhythm, but the begins of some songs are just amorphous intro junk without the beat being established. Those parts are the worst.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

When I first got Pistol Whip I didn't really get a chance to play fully. Now that I have today I am 100% bought in to the hype. It definitely helps if you have enoigh rhythm to be trying to improvise patterns in time with music but I guess it would also be fun as a straight shooter

smdh if you're not dancing while you're capping faceless dudes

Also the soundtrack is on Spotify if you're into that stuff: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/10F5J8YE50o0zB13Hk7TQM?si=Pr3GD8jeQNuSSF19Q6nMhg

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

Kinda wish Pistol Whip would play the reload sound every time you try to reload and not just if you actually had any bullets spent. I like including the reload sound in my beats.

This is really good feedback and im gonna put it in the discord.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Deathlove posted:

Anybody else not getting scores to save in Pistol Whip on Quest? Done Training and Black Magic a few times but no score saves.

I figured this out, played 2 hours when I first got it then thought I lost all my scores.
Click on the song you want to see the score of, then select the difficulty you did it on, then on the leader board to the right click the 3rd(i think) icon down, the one with the person and globe. When you click that if you look back at the level it shows the score now.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Chin Strap posted:

I have good rhythm, but the begins of some songs are just amorphous intro junk without the beat being established. Those parts are the worst.

Yeah their song choice/remix's of those songs is pretty mind mindbogglingly terrible.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Tip posted:

I'm bothered by the lack of any dynamic shadows. Not even blob shadows.

Looking back at the old trailer there is a lot of very obvious dynamic shadows, although, in some places they look rather poo poo and in other places they don't exist.
https://youtu.be/352Hmh0b3Ps

I wonder if it's a performance thing, an error, or a purposeful decision. Since this game does involve multiple levels of reality I guess it could make sense for them to do something like the experience is more degraded if you go into VR within VR.

Performance. Current wisdom is that if your VR game runs good on (VR relative) potatoes that it has less chance of being refunded.

Also they want the game to have mass appeal and dropping frames because dynamic shadows are eating your lunch is a great way to turn people off and make them sick.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
jesus i'm actually sore from playing pistol whip

if you had asked me I would have said it wasn't as demanding as beat saber, but it definitely is

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Luneshot posted:

Space Engine ($24.99 on Steam) is essentially a virtual planetarium/universe explorer program. It's been in development for years by a one-man team, and the first full retail release was a few months ago.

It models the universe at real scale, using astronomical catalogs to place real objects at the correct positions, with the number one goal being astronomical accuracy and realism. Procedural objects (planets, stars, star clusters, nebulae, galaxies, etc) are generated to fill in the rest of the universe. If you want to see what the sky looks like from a planet around a black hole, or that you could pluck a galaxy from the air between your fingers, this is the one for you. You can fly to basically any object you see, or use the "go-to" shortcut. You can change time speed to see orbital motion or the rotation of a planet, and you can use the "god scale" gesture, using the grip buttons and starting with your arms out wide and bringing them together, to make things appear smaller (and the reverse for them to seem bigger).

I took a few screenshots in VR earlier today.

YES. All of this. Space Engine is an incredible bit of software even on flatscreen, it has a unique ability (for me) to communicate a real sense of the scale of the universe, because of the way you can zoom all the way out from moons to planets to solar systems and nebulae, galaxies and satellite galaxies, and even further out to clusters of galaxies.

It's loving beautiful and everyone should try it.

FYI Overview is a nice curated experience built in the same engine which is designed for museums and other public exhibitions. It's cool but you should just get the main 'game' instead.

Zaphod42 posted:

It helps that in boxing you don't really try to parry, you just punch or you guard.

Melee right now in VR works as long as its highly one-sided, like in Gorn or Blade & Sorcery, but yeah, the lack of feedback and resistance is pretty killer to any kind of sword duel VR idea. Blade & Sorcery tries but its just not super great. But I think boxing surprisingly works really well, punching dudes feels about right even without the resistance, your hands naturally punch and then pull back to punch again. But with a sword you swing and you expect it to get stopped at some point when you hit something, and when it doesn't and every attack just clips through your opponent, that's a problem. Punching never really gets to that point, worst case scenario your fist slightly goes into the head of the guy you're punching, but even then he's probably getting his face knocked back enough you don't notice.
There's no reason (besides money & dev time) that it has to be this way in Blade & Sorcery; the problem is with the AI and their animations, rather than with the physics tech. The mechanic whereby usually if your weapon comes into contact with a solid object, your in-game wrist rotates such that you can't just clip your sword straight through - this could just as easily be applied to the fights, but it doesn't quite work that way right now unfortunately, in part because the AI just flail wildly at you when they attack (whirlwind attacks and poo poo), so there's no practical way to try to parry their blows properly even if their physicality worked properly.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

eonwe posted:

if you had asked me I would have said it wasn't as demanding as beat saber, but it definitely is

I managed to actually pulled my back playing Pistol Whip by contorting my body under a pillar while still trying to stay down sights for that headshot bonus.

I'm gonna need to start doing Goku stretches before playing VR.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Am I the only one who likes the Pistol Whip tracks?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

eonwe posted:

Same here. My quaaaaaaads. Walking stairs downwards, I'm walking like a duck.

Jack Trades posted:

They're acceptable at best for me personally. I don't really like that music style, I'm more for electronic music around 120-140bpm with the regular 4/4 beats. The more it sounds like dubstep (or vaporwave or whatever the gently caress is it), the more frowny my face gets. Can't have everything I guess.

I hope the custom song stuff gets somewhere eventually.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So, I was gonna ask if one of you Quest having goons could test my project and let me know how the performance is, I'm trying to decide how crazy to go with the rendering.

But... it seems like I can't just send you a build. If I want to test on Quest, it looks like I HAVE to buy one myself and test with it tethered to my PC? That kinda blows.

I hate walled gardens.

Is there any way to like, side-load content onto the Quest?

On the bright side I guess this means I can go wild on the graphics assuming you'll have a gaming rig for VR, and then if by some miracle the game does well I can always make a port for Quest later on...

El Grillo posted:

There's no reason (besides money & dev time) that it has to be this way in Blade & Sorcery; the problem is with the AI and their animations, rather than with the physics tech. The mechanic whereby usually if your weapon comes into contact with a solid object, your in-game wrist rotates such that you can't just clip your sword straight through - this could just as easily be applied to the fights, but it doesn't quite work that way right now unfortunately, in part because the AI just flail wildly at you when they attack (whirlwind attacks and poo poo), so there's no practical way to try to parry their blows properly even if their physicality worked properly.

I dunno, I don't think that solves it. Even if the in-game sword stops swinging, that's just as bad if not even worse. Breaking where my sword is in my hand vs where I see the sword in VR is... bad.

I think the only way you can 'fix it' is with some complex haptics rig that's gonna cost $10,000. It'll be an arcade-only experience.

Calipark posted:

I managed to actually pulled my back playing Pistol Whip by contorting my body under a pillar while still trying to stay down sights for that headshot bonus.

Lmao, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jack Trades posted:

No, I loving LOVE the soundtrack.

Calipark posted:

Yep currently coming off a back injury from PW so bad i couldn't walk for 2 days.

Yeah.. Its been almost 15 days since I've VRed because of it (not counting some standing almost zero movement on the 4th).
Still not able to really fully bend. Its awesome. Second time I've thrown my back out doing VR.

eonwe posted:

Everyone is finding this out. And a lot of us warned people.

Roommate didn't listen either. Shes been in bed most of the day sore.