Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have absolutely 0 faith that the writing in this show will be good considering the numerous completely bonkers misunderstandings of the source material but mostly because Lindelof's self-admitted largest and most profound insight is "what if the police dressed up?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zmej posted:

I don't understand the point of a deadman's switch if it takes 10 seconds to detonate, but apparently that is the right amount of time to roll a dead KKKop onto an IED lol

It wasn’t a proper deadman’s switch, it looked like he had an EKG attached to it so it would blow if his heart stopped. That’s not going to happen right away even if you get shot in the dome. I guess he wanted both hands free for his hostage taking.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zmej posted:

I don't understand the point of a deadman's switch if it takes 10 seconds to detonate, but apparently that is the right amount of time to roll a dead KKKop onto an IED lol

It was pretty explicitly stated that they usually don't bother to actually connect it to their heart.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

either way it was very anti-climatic for me, especially if that was added in a line AFTER the explosion

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Phi230 posted:

I have absolutely 0 faith that the writing in this show will be good considering the numerous completely bonkers misunderstandings of the source material but mostly because Lindelof's self-admitted largest and most profound insight is "what if the police dressed up?"

We look forward to reading your posts

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

They edited it. HBO loving edited the voiceover for this scene in ep2 and reuploaded it, quietly.

If you have hbo go play this scene and then play the youtube link. Phrases that stick out "very very angry" "white hot electricity" "no where to ground"

That's loving wild. And stupidly perfectionist. And makes me want to stash away version i've watched like a paranoid wierdo that im going to get bearenstein bear'd

I liked the slight cheeseyness of the original.

what a bunch of fucks.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 9, 2019

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

We look forward to reading your posts

Hopefully almost as much as I do making them!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

massive spider posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXpqiv4BoQg

This came up in my recommended and its worth a watch for the test footage at 7.00 starring Jorah Mormonts terrible american accent.

That looked like a scene from the Watchmen FMV game. Rorschach literally looked like a cosplayer.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Zmej posted:

I mean, judging by my fitbit: you'd want a 10 second delay to cover random misses from the sensor...otherwise he would have blown up somewhere in the tunnel.
:shrug:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean, judging by my fitbit: you'd want a 10 second delay to cover random misses from the sensor...otherwise he would have blown up somewhere in the tunnel.
:shrug:

He wasn't wearing it in the tunnel, it was in the bag.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
IM the one who UNDERSTANDS this book, NOT YOU DAMON.

NOT. YOU.

*adjusts priest collar*

Weedle
May 31, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

That looked like a scene from the Watchmen FMV game. Rorschach literally looked like a cosplayer.

That’s just what movies look like before the Hollywood Magic is applied.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I’m so glad Adrian put on his silly suit. That’s when u know a real good genocide is coming on

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

And YouTube auto-generated subtitles are awesome.

"Teen act"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Shoulda gone as a Manhattan follower with a blue ski mask with a hydrogen atom in permanent marker on the forehead for Halloween this year

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My hot take is that if part of Alan Moore's job when writing Watchmen was promoting it in vapid online interviews designed to yield clickbait quotes, he would have also said some stupid poo poo that made people wonder if he understood his own work.

Neba
Feb 1, 2004

Enjoying the heck out of this show.

KoRMaK posted:

They edited it. HBO loving edited the voiceover for this scene in ep2 and reuploaded it, quietly.

If you made a comparison video/audio that'd be really neat!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
This.

loving.

SLAPS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjloH7QFYkk

get it while it's hot

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Finally had the time to catch up and Episode 3 was amazeballs.
'Mister Shadow' as Batman surrogate being taken down by Laurie and the AVTF (Anti Vigilante Task Force) without much effort to start the episode, and Laurie taking down another masked vigilante near the end of the ep (at the funeral) without hesitation.

Loved the way Laurie's 'joke' messed up at first, was interspersed throughout the episode, and then the punch line tied it all together; felt like very similar structure to an issue of the source material.
Also really enjoying the music, both soundtrack and the songs used, from Devo to Desmond Dekker to Dance of the Knights. And there's even a little nod to the freakin' Black Freighter.

CAROL posted:

I'm so glad Adrian put on his silly suit. That's when u know a real good genocide is coming on
Didn't realize until this episode Veidt's definitely being held prisoner, and the simulacrum attendants/housekeepers are not his creations.

Reminds me a little of Slaughterhouse 5, with the Tralfamdorians keeping Billy Pilgrim as a specimen to observe and that he is trapped in time "like a bug trapped in amber".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

If you have hbo go play this scene and then play the youtube link. Phrases that stick out "very very angry" "white hot electricity" "no where to ground"

That's loving wild. And stupidly perfectionist. And makes me want to stash away version i've watched like a paranoid wierdo that im going to get bearenstein bear'd

I liked the slight cheeseyness of the original.

what a bunch of fucks.

The audio on the soundtrack album is the older version. I wonder if they’ll replace the copy I downloaded.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Binary Logic posted:

And there's even a little nod to the freakin' Black Freighter.

And on a less subtle note I caught this on a rewatch yesterday.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I thought it said Black Frasier.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Black Frasier is just The Cosby Show.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Also, what are those huge power pylons in the background? I thought the Dr. Manhattan energy system was only in the movie to set up the alternate ending?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnKhcDuYPGg&t=40s

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The audio on the soundtrack album is the older version. I wonder if they’ll replace the copy I downloaded.

oh thats right, it is! And its on the spotify one too. I wonder if they'll change it. Another one to watch for.

Could you imagine reznor or atticus ross getting that email lol "hey we changed the audio in the ep so can you change the audio in your tracks?"

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Was the Game Warden who shot at Adrian wearing a Rorshach mask?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Was the Game Warden who shot at Adrian wearing a Rorshach mask?

No it was like Zoro mask

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

No it was like Zoro mask

Or... the Lone Ranger.....

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

graham cracker posted:

Nice catch. On Survivor I learned that Applebee's has a shark bowl cocktail so maybe the Black Freighter Inn has a restaurant with raw shark bento box.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

feedmyleg posted:

What’s black Cheers then?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That just seems like such poor marketing. I guess Pirate Jenny’s cover story is that she works there?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

On a rewatch I finally figured out what was in the lettuce truck at the opening. Many may have already figured this out, it seems so obvious but it was subtle.

The loving 50 Cal. It was the same truck, and it's why it was covered so much. The pickup that got pulled over was transporting a 50 Cal technical. Also, the dude who ate the poison pill at the ranch was the same guy driving.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

graham cracker posted:

this was a cool easter egg but what are those big sci-fi structures in the background? Have they been mentioned at all?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

This is accurate in that Rorchach is an egotistical psychopath whose inability to see nuance or make compromises actively prevents him from bettering the world and his pithy little catchphrases are laundered by terrible people who completely miss the point of his character and just think it sounds cool and deep.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ehhh I say ok boomer it’s because I’m a deep twisted ps*cho

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

This is accurate in that Rorchach is an egotistical psychopath whose inability to see nuance or make compromises actively prevents him from bettering the world and his pithy little catchphrases are laundered by terrible people who completely miss the point of his character and just think it sounds cool and deep.
don't sign your posts

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Very inconsiderate and unhygienic of Dr M to do this in a food prep area.

I kinda wish Moore went into a little more detail about what Dr M rebuilding himself was like from his perspective though.