Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Squalid posted:

There's definitely truth to this, but it's worth pointing out Morales national political career really took off back in 2003 when he helped lead protests to force the resignation of Democratically elected President Gonzalo Sánchez de Lozada, and his Vice President Carlos Mesa. Carlos Mesa is today the main leader of the opposition. These are not tactics unfamiliar to Morales.

was morales trying to sell the country to western capitalists too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
To think that Morales would be deposed before Maduro. What a crazy-rear end world.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Squalid posted:

There's definitely truth to this, but it's worth pointing out Morales national political career really took off back in 2003 when he helped lead protests to force the resignation of Democratically elected President Gonzalo Sánchez de Lozada, and his Vice President Carlos Mesa. Carlos Mesa is today the main leader of the opposition. These are not tactics unfamiliar to Morales.

I like how you completely fail to mention the army opening fire on protesters and killing over 60 and wounding hundreds.
But yeah, no difference, same thing.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
He might be out of there

https://twitter.com/News_Executive/status/1193634201997914112

Not exactly a good source but other should pick it up soon. (if it is true)

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1193622155986120704
https://twitter.com/AJENews/status/1193638111965851653

RaffyTaffy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 10, 2019

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I am sure that all the defenders of democracy really concerned about Evo's court packing will be here any second now to express their disapproval.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It is, major Argentinian newspapers picking it up

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

joepinetree posted:

I like how you completely fail to mention the army opening fire on protesters and killing over 60 and wounding hundreds.
But yeah, no difference, same thing.

history never repeats itself, but it does rhyme.

perhaps you would have preferred if the army repeated this part of Bolivian history today rather than turning on Morales. I'm not really sure of what to make of events but I hope there will be a resolution that ends the violence and protects Bolivia's institutions.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Squalid posted:

perhaps you would have preferred if the army repeated this part of Bolivian history today rather than turning on Morales. I'm not really sure of what to make of events but I hope there will be a resolution that ends the violence and protects Bolivia's institutions.

No, I am pointing out your dumbass bullshit false equivalency.

"Hey, Morales protested and asked for resignation when the army opened fire on unarmed protesters, so it's only fair that now the military asks him to resign"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Squalid posted:

I mean, the mass majority of the violence was done by the cops and poo poo supporting the coup so yea I imagine they'll just shift to normal pro-capital day to day violence now that they win

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Squalid posted:

any resolution that protects bolivia's institutions and ends violence would involve the chuds that just won loving off forever, so that's out of the question

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RaffyTaffy posted:

He might be out of there

What a pity. I genuinely hope that his supporters do their best to make sure he does not face the horrific persecution that Lula has experienced.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Once again you see the folly for left regimes in trying to "play by the rules" set by the global north. Literally the entire western world was trying to gently caress Maduro over and yet he still clings to power. Evo's only mistake was not in consolidating his rule earlier.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Apparently there's a ton of people from social movements in Bolivia going to the capital to defend the government

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Well, darn. Assuming the military et al let normal rules apply, who's next in line and are they good or bad?

edit and also assuming the left protesters don't get morales reinstated

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
should've armed his supporters instead of hoping that cops and the military will not get bought by capitalists

oh well

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Well, darn. Assuming the military et al let normal rules apply, who's next in line and are they good or bad?

edit and also assuming the left protesters don't get morales reinstated

anyone good will be attacked by the same fascists that attacked evo morales, but, depending on how pissed off and willing to take to the streets the people that voted for morales are right now, the western puppet awaiting their coronation might have issues with taking the throne

but who knows what will happen coups are a chaotic thing

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
lol bolivia making the case for why left wing governments either become authoritarian or get overthrown, what a goddamn disaster.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Once again you see the folly for left regimes in trying to "play by the rules" set by the global north. Literally the entire western world was trying to gently caress Maduro over and yet he still clings to power. Evo's only mistake was not in consolidating his rule earlier.

Agreed. Hopefully the same mass movement that's mobilizing to protect the government puts an actual leftist in charge who will purge the military.

Morales's liberal embrace of Mesa after the coup has put the entire populace of Bolivia in the hands of a military coup.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

lol bolivia making the case for why left wing governments either become authoritarian or get overthrown, what a goddamn disaster.

I really would have hoped that Brazil and Venezuela would have proven that already, but WELP, here we are.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

Authoritarian is a weasel word that means nothing. Nobody in the western media decries the authoritarianism of liberal governments in south america brutally suppressing minorities and the poor, as long as power is passed back and forth between members of the ruling class in phony elections.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

joepinetree posted:

No, I am pointing out your dumbass bullshit false equivalency.

"Hey, Morales protested and asked for resignation when the army opened fire on unarmed protesters, so it's only fair that now the military asks him to resign"

if you really think that the gas war was all about the deaths of protestors idk what to say to you. it doesn't even make sense

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Authoritarian is a weasel word that means nothing. Nobody in the western media decries the authoritarianism of liberal governments in south america brutally suppressing minorities and the poor, as long as power is passed back and forth between members of the ruling class in phony elections.

I am lazy and phone posting and that’s a lot of words but sure.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I think he was using "authoritarian" in a pretty value-neutral sense, ie: left-wing leaders either consolidate power, or get overthrown.

e: ^^^ yup ^^^

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Yep.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Squalid posted:

if you really think that the gas war was all about the deaths of protestors idk what to say to you. it doesn't even make sense

Why did Goni resign?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

I think he was using "authoritarian" in a pretty value-neutral sense, ie: left-wing leaders either consolidate power, or get overthrown.

e: ^^^ yup ^^^

My bad

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Buried lede in the twitter headlines:

quote:

Morales said he will call new elections after the Organization of American States (OAS) released a report saying a disputed vote last month that sparked deadly protests should be annulled because of irregularities.

In a news conference, the president also said he would replace the members of the electoral board that came under fire after being mired in widespread allegations of electoral fraud in the October 20 vote.

the opposition is, of course, demanding that Morales also not run again

OAS preliminary report on their apparent election-system concerns: http://www.oas.org/documents/spa/press/Informe-Auditoria-Bolivia-2019.pdf

i can't be bothered to machine translate it on my phone so I don't have an opinion on it

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 10, 2019

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

RottenK posted:

should've armed his supporters instead of hoping that cops and the military will not get bought by capitalists

Lightning Knight posted:

:yikes:

I'm very keen on seeing whether these rumored masses of pro-Morales protesters materialize and save Democracy from the imperialists

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I'm very keen on seeing whether these rumored masses of pro-Morales protesters materialize and save Democracy from the imperialists

What, exactly, is your viewpoint on this coup?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Buried lede in the twitter headlines:

the opposition is, of course, demanding that Morales also not run again

OAS preliminary report on their apparent election-system concerns: http://www.oas.org/documents/spa/press/Informe-Auditoria-Bolivia-2019.pdf

i can't be bothered to machine translate it on my phone so I don't have an opinion on it

They're basically saying they found possible fraud to the tune of 350k votes, and Morales would have still gotten a comfortable majority, but it would have almost certainly gone to ballotage

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ANIME AKBAR posted:

It’s the same problem as the American intervention in Libya. If the message we send is “if you work with us we’ll still coup you” we can’t complain when no one wants to work with us and entrenches their power instead in fear of us.

Christ we suck lol.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Squalid posted:

*opposition kidnaps mayors*

*a mob burns down the president's sister's house*

*military intervening in politics again*

the institutions have been protected

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

They're basically saying they found possible fraud to the tune of 350k votes, and Morales would have still gotten a comfortable majority, but it would have almost certainly gone to ballotage

Okay yeah, the first count round he just barely squeaked past the runoff bar so that's what I would have expected if any fuckery was suspected; do you / the thread have any idea whether the audit / report is reasonably credible?

Also, re my earlier question,

quote:

The resignations of Morales and his vice president meant it was not initially clear who would take the helm of the country pending the results of new elections.

According to Bolivian law, in the absence of the president and vice president, the head of the Senate would take over provisionally.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Majorian posted:

What, exactly, is your viewpoint on this coup?

Still figuring it out. I have a close Bolivian-American friend who is very much a leftist but hates Morales (mainly for clinging to power like a dictator, and being a homophobe, IIRC). But regardless of that some of the reactions in here are loving reprehensible.

I'm not convinced it's a "coup." My friend is telling me secondhand accounts of voter fraud (ballots signed by dead relatives, etc). No idea how pervasive it is. I see that Goons here are very critical of the OAS, but I can't tell why.

VVV: lmao my dude if I have to explain it....

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 10, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Still figuring it out. I have a close Bolivian-American friend who is very much a leftist but hates Morales (mainly for clinging to power like a dictator, and being a homophobe, IIRC). But regardless of that some of the reactions in here are loving reprehensible.

In what way are they reprehensible?

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Why did his own cabinet resign, though? gently caress the D&D back-and-forth, that needs to be explained.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I'm not convinced it's a "coup." My friend is telling me secondhand accounts of voter fraud (ballots signed by dead relatives, etc). No idea how pervasive it is. I see that Goons here are very critical of the OAS, but I can't tell why.

The military forcing the president to resign is the literal definition of a coup

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Norton the First posted:

Why did his own cabinet resign, though? gently caress the D&D back-and-forth, that needs to be explained.

Yeah I'm also wondering what it was about this latest episode that caused his support to collapse so quickly.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ANIME AKBAR posted:

You do.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

ANIME AKBAR posted:

He was nowhere close to a dictator. Your friend's a loving idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://www.proekt.media/investigation/morales-rosatom-eng/

He used Russian state enterprise consultants to help with the election and Russian elections are notorious for stuffed ballot boxes and putting people who ensure the win for the ruling party as heads of the electoral commisions. Was probably a bad idea