Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ThanosWasRight posted:

Yes if you don't take into account the three weeks of Nationwide protests it sounds bad but you do realize events actually have context and larger occurings that give them some amount of difference between each other.

Nah, even with that context it sounds bad because it's a military coup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Squalid posted:

In all fairness to them, some of the posters like Caps Lock Broken have already come out as explicitly against Democracy. So at least in this instance he's being consistent.

The democracy of the army asking the president of the country to resign or else.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

Fair point, I'll shut up and let people more knowledgeable discuss this

Well don't I just feel like an rear end in a top hat now, sorry for calling you names, it was just that your whole post was wrong, but your attitude in light of it is very refreshing and should be everyone's attitude going forward, don't stop posting, just be more informed when doing so.

To the other guy calling me gusano, this soft coup (everyone in Latin America knows exactly what I meant when I said that the army announced that it didn't had Evo's back anymore) is exactly what I think Chile needs to get rid of Piñera, the AFPs (mandatory Private retirement fund managing companies that are basically useless and make retirement a very grim afair in Chile) and most of the excesses of Neo liberalism.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

zocio posted:

Well don't I just feel like an rear end in a top hat now, sorry for calling you names, it was just that your whole post was wrong, but your attitude in light of it is very refreshing and should be everyone's attitude going forward, don't stop posting, just be more informed when doing so.

To the other guy calling me gusano, this soft coup (everyone in Latin America knows exactly what I meant when I said that the army announced that it didn't had Evo's back anymore) is exactly what I think Chile needs to get rid of Piñera, the AFPs (mandatory Private retirement fund managing companies that are basically useless and make retirement a very grim afair in Chile) and most of the excesses of Neo liberalism.

Soft coup is what happened to Dilma. The army telling you to resign is a coup, period.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

joepinetree posted:

Yes? A reminder that the only reason there was an audit was because Morales invited it. And if the audit found anything questionable, sure, have a do over.

But this is a coup. This is a coup in clear and uncontroversial ways. Anyone trying to deny that is trash whose opinions can be immediately dismissed.

Sure. I'm just crossing my fingers that the outcome isn't terrible and the new election is prompt, fair, and ideally won by Morales (or a substitute leftist if he gets screwed out of running as a result of this).

fake edit: actually based on what I know so far about the report, one remedy might be to not have a full new election but instead to just assume "okay, maybe all 350k votes or whatever were invalid, let's have the runoff that would have happened without them"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ThanosWasRight posted:

You do realize they believe the ballot boxes were stuffed and that is why they burnt them right?

I do not argue that it was the right course of action, but angry protestors are not groups that tend to do very smart things.

Ok...yea no poo poo, they didn't say 'we are doing this to remove any non-violent options!!!!' while they were doing it. Ya got me there.

Why did the government agree to more elections and outside oversight then?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I know this is kind of tangential to what's going on politically, but w/r/t Lithium and its necessity for green energy technology, is there a way access the Lithium that 1) Doesn't ecologically devastate the environment around it and 2) Allows Bolivia to retain the wealth gained from the sale of these materials?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Somaen posted:

Could it be that these violent protesters burned the boxes as they believe the election lacks legitimacy? What is the implication here, the opposition stuffed the ballot boxes and burned them to cover up crimes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Brothers_riot

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Squalid posted:

In all fairness to them, some of the posters like Caps Lock Broken have already come out as explicitly against Democracy. So at least in this instance he's being consistent.

Your principled love of electorialism and democracy begins and ends with right wing comprador governments in South America.

ThanosWasRight posted:

You do realize they believe the ballot boxes were stuffed and that is why they burnt them right?

Why burn them if they were stuffed? Why not go to the media?

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The opposition in Bolivia just as Venezuela strongly believe there is ballot stuffing involved so a recount alone was never going to make them happy.

Also I'd remind people there is absolutely no way to prove a ballot box has been stuffed after the fact.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Sure. I'm just crossing my fingers that the outcome isn't terrible and the new election is prompt, fair, and ideally won by Morales (or a substitute leftist if he gets screwed out of running as a result of this).

fake edit: actually based on what I know so far about the report, one remedy might be to not have a full new election but instead to just assume "okay, maybe all 350k votes or whatever were invalid, let's have the runoff that would have happened without them"

lol in what universe do you think any leftist candidate won't get a bullet in the dome from a gun with a CIA price tag still on it. Do you think the loving military does a coup like this and then just lets the leftists win fair and square after?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ThanosWasRight posted:

The opposition in Bolivia just as Venezuela strongly believe there is ballot stuffing involved so a recount alone was never going to make them happy.

so you're saying no matter what the opposition would never be happy with non-violent solutions to this meddlesome leftist :thunk:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

zocio posted:

To be completely fair to you, I kinda have a kneejerk reaction based upon my own government's involvement in Venezuela and Brazil. I'll be more considerate in the future

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Lightning Knight posted:

lol bolivia making the case for why left wing governments either become authoritarian or get overthrown, what a goddamn disaster.

I remember 15 years ago when Evo was elected and how hopeful the future seemed

Then it turned out he liked being president a little too much

gently caress him

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I remember 15 years ago when Evo was elected and how hopeful the future seemed

Then it turned out he liked being president a little too much

gently caress him

You, uh...you seem to be suggesting that Evo not adhering strictly to term limits makes him unusual among Latin American leaders...

Or that that’s somehow the worst thing he could have done.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Lightning Knight posted:

Christ we suck lol.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

joepinetree posted:

The democracy of the army asking the president of the country to resign or else.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting but Caps Lock Broken was pretty explicit about rejecting democracy as a concept generally, and not just in this instance.

Personally right now I think it's probably more likely than not Morales did win the election, although I'm not very certain.

Also everyone here keeps emphasizing the role of the army in this. Why isn't anyone talking about Central Obrera Boliviana, COB? It's weird that everyone here is just ignoring that the largest federation of unions in Bolivia, previously a major Morales ally, turned on him even before the army. This isn't just the opposition turning on him -- his coalition of supporters collapsed too.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Morales was fine even by the sanctimonious standards of liberals looking for any excuse, but it turns out liberals have no real principles and will drop the mask instantly and claim that military coups are in the interest of democracy.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously though, why did his own cabinet and the biggest union turn against him?

efb:

Squalid posted:

Also everyone here keeps emphasizing the role of the army in this. Why isn't anyone talking about Central Obrera Boliviana, COB? It's weird that everyone here is just ignoring that the largest federation of unions in Bolivia, previously a major Morales ally, turned on him even before the army. This isn't just the opposition turning on him -- his coalition of supporters collapsed too.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

sexpig by night posted:

do you believe there's non-violent implications to be found when, right after you win an election, the military literally marches through the street into your office and demands you resign? Do you think there's any universe where that's not a violent act?
In a vacuum, yeah, that sounds like a military coup. But it sounds pretty disingenuous to describe the situation in such black and white terms.

Any photos or video of the military marching into his office?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Squalid posted:

I'm not sure what you are suggesting but Caps Lock Broken was pretty explicit about rejecting democracy as a concept generally, and not just in this instance.

Personally right now I think it's probably more likely than not Morales did win the election, although I'm not very certain.

Ah, no need for elections then.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Majorian posted:

You, uh...you seem to be suggesting that Evo not adhering strictly to term limits makes him unusual among Latin American leaders...

Or that that’s somehow the worst thing he could have done.

I honestly tuned out of politics around that time, after he won, and then Obama won and I was like “welp, great job Humanity, civilization is solved!”

Then Brazil got worse, PRI won again in Mexico, the whole Venezuela thing, trump won, and now I’m like ... both sides bad?

All politicians are terrible

This whole left vs right thing is such a load of bullshit

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ANIME AKBAR posted:

you're a joke

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ANIME AKBAR posted:

In a vacuum, yeah, that sounds like a military coup. But it sounds pretty disingenuous to describe the situation in such black and white terms.

when the military politely suggests that you resign for the good of the nation, when the cops have already mostly flipped and you're having trouble with your own supporters, that's pretty :toughguy:

joepinetree posted:

Ah, no need for elections then.

so I think there might be some confusion on at least one of our parts, aren't new elections still on the agenda?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

I honestly tuned out of politics around that time, after he won, and then Obama won and I was like “welp, great job Humanity, civilization is solved!”

Then Brazil got worse, PRI won again in Mexico, the whole Venezuela thing, trump won, and now I’m like ... both sides bad?

Screen capping this one

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Norton the First posted:

Seriously though, why did his own cabinet and the biggest union turn against him?

efb:

I don’t see how this is a gotcha, if the army is signalling it will forcefully remove the president why wouldn’t they abandon him out of self-preservation?

But to be clear it’s not about Morales or his merits as a person, it’s not up to the army to do this and it’s bullshit that they did.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

THS posted:

Screen capping this one

If I said something stupid (which is extremely in character) I’m curious what it was, if you feel like pointing it out

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

when the military politely suggests that you resign for the good of the nation, when the cops have already mostly flipped and you're having trouble with your own supporters, that's pretty :toughguy:

so I think there might be some confusion on at least one of our parts, aren't new elections still on the agenda?

An election that will presumably not include Evo, who at the very least was the frontrunner the last time around

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t see how this is a gotcha, if the army is signalling it will forcefully remove the president why wouldn’t they abandon him out of self-preservation?

But to be clear it’s not about Morales or his merits as a person, it’s not up to the army to do this and it’s bullshit that they did.

the unions actually abandoned him before the army. I'm not sure about when the cabinet resigned.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Squalid posted:

the unions actually abandoned him before the army. I'm not sure about when the cabinet resigned.

Right, but it's not difficult to imagine a scenario in which the army contacted the union leaders beforehand and said, "We're doin' a coup; call on Morales to resign or you're hosed."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

any new elections will not involve anyone who's sympathetic to the past government, no. Like there may be some token 'literally who' people but no they will not allow the actual main figures who would support an agenda against the capitalists who supported this nonsense.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/jonleeanderson/status/1193636617459625985

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

Squalid posted:

I don't need a gotcha, I want to know what's going on.

Majorian posted:

Right, but it's not difficult to imagine a scenario in which the army contacted the union leaders beforehand and said, "We're doin' a coup; call on Morales to resign or you're hosed."

Not difficult to imagine, but that's not how coups work. You can't just alert people ahead of time and give them the opportunity to mass in front of the tanks.

Coups are actually difficult and often fail!

e: and there's no way to express in advance that the whole military will support your unconstitutional move, because the leader of the military coup has no idea about that himself.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

If I said something stupid (which is extremely in character) I’m curious what it was, if you feel like pointing it out

I don't think you're posting in bad faith or are a bad person or whatever, but that was a sixth grade level analysis. So:

- why would you consider obama 'left'
- what do you reckon happened in brazil?
- why do you think trump won?

Are there any material reasons you think things happened the way they did? Why immediately beeline for nihilism?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Agreed. But AFAIK the military itself isn't stepping in to seize power (is the general assembly supposed to take over?). Even Morales referred to it as a "civic" coup, right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gee isn't that weird how that happened, you'd think if the problem was just one Bad Dude they wouldn't be pushing out anyone who shares his side of the political spectrum too...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Norton the First posted:

Not difficult to imagine, but that's not how coups work.

It 100% is how coups work actually - you peel off parts of the opposition by buying off/threatening their leaders. Have a look at 1973 Chilean coup.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

No one knows the exact details of what's going on in Bolivia right now or what will happen in the next few days, all you can go on is a sense of historical context and what the play always is when it comes to ringwing coups in South America. You have to be absolutely loving dogshit stupid, incapable of pattern recognition or object permanence, to reflexively want to hang back because you've heard that Evo Morales is no saint or whatever. Imagine being on the wrong side of history, every single time, and never questioning the basic assumptions that lead you to do that, and never holding yourself accountable for it. It makes sense if you have a career in the state department, but if you're just some idiot poster like the rest of us then you're being a shill for the imperialist in your head.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

It 100% is how coups work actually - you peel off parts of the opposition by buying off/threatening their leaders. Have a look at 1973 Chilean coup.

Please don't be silly. There are dozens of examples from the last sixty years, and infosec is kinda important!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

joepinetree posted:

An election that will presumably not include Evo, who at the very least was the frontrunner the last time around

Yeah I can see two avenues where that's the case

- Morales' party concludes that he'll lose an election because of this fuckery, which is bad
- The military / interim government / electoral officials nix him directly, which is Very Bad

I have literally no idea how likely either of those is, I'm not particularly up on Bolivian government at the best and least chaotic of times.