Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

MeinPanzer posted:

It’s really too bad because with even just one more expansion there would be exponentially more viable deck building options available. As it stands only a few heroes and deck archetypes can compete on the higher difficulty because a lot of interesting cards require that you run a mono deck to be able to include them.

I agree. What's worse is that the first pack with player cards will be a couple of months, assuming that they aren't delayed further in true FFG fashion. At least we should be fighting the Green Goblin in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I wonder if you two are talking about the same game...

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

MeinPanzer posted:

It’s really too bad because with even just one more expansion there would be exponentially more viable deck building options available. As it stands only a few heroes and deck archetypes can compete on the higher difficulty because a lot of interesting cards require that you run a mono deck to be able to include them.

Did the digital thing end up being any good? The early version seemed kind of inferior.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Living Card Game That: What The gently caress Is FFG Up To Now?

LCG Thread: Build your own Endgame

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 11, 2019

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PerniciousKnid posted:

LCG Thread: Build your own endgame

That is better.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

CitizenKeen posted:

I wonder if you two are talking about the same game...

Oh poo poo you are right.

Well my statement stands in both cases, Green Goblin and all. Go ahead and correct me.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Heh, funny how that was applicable to the game that’s just come it as much as the one that’s been out for almost a year...

PerniciousKnid posted:

Did the digital thing end up being any good? The early version seemed kind of inferior.

After getting used to it I actually liked it a lot. The thing is that you’d get the greatest returns from automating the complex interactions between cards, but as it stands the main deck archetypes are fairly simple, so you can’t really explore the design space creatively the same way you could in the tabletop game after a few expansions.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I bought the Switch version of LOTR last night.

No touch screen supports, which sucks but is hardly a surprise. Text is smallish on handheld, but still perfectly readable for me. Controls work alright for a console. No crashes so far and performance seemed good.

Hopefully they release new content at the same time as on PC ( so never.) Deckbuilding is probably going to be very painful on console controls, but an another portable card game is always nice to have.

I will update, when I find the FFG design decisions of the port.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Details on upcoming Wrecking Crew Scenario Pack for Marvel Champions

This scenario looks way different than the previous scenarios, and pretty cool. No modular aspect, but there are 4 enemy schemes in play, but only one villain attacks at once.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Fritzler posted:

Details on upcoming Wrecking Crew Scenario Pack for Marvel Champions

This scenario looks way different than the previous scenarios, and pretty cool. No modular aspect, but there are 4 enemy schemes in play, but only one villain attacks at once.

I am very happy they are willing to explore completely standalone villains. It doesn't even use the standard set, so in theory someone could pick up this and a hero pack and just play without a core set, subbing the tokens and grabbing the rulebook online.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Rusty Kettle posted:

I am very happy they are willing to explore completely standalone villains. It doesn't even use the standard set, so in theory someone could pick up this and a hero pack and just play without a core set, subbing the tokens and grabbing the rulebook online.
Me too! I can see playing at the game store and telling someone they just need to pick up the Capt America/Thor/Ms Marvel pack in order to join.

Schizophonic
Jun 4, 2011
Tried Marvel Champions and had a pretty good time. Aggression She-Hulk for a learner game, which didn't go terrifically but I like what the She-Hulk side seemed to be getting at and with a little editing and awareness of the game, I think I could put together something better now. The second game was Justice Spiderman which seems bonkers good for some consistent control and buying teammates time to get set-up. Overall really enjoyable though and interested in expanding the card pool to see how building options open up.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Marvel Champions is really good. There's a whole bunch more cards coming in January, and since the deckbuilding options aren't that extensive yet, it's a good time to experiment with different combinations. Right now you literally take your hero's card pool and shuffle it with almost all the cards from one color plus like one of each neutral and see what happens. It's surprisingly a fast game. It's much more streamlined than other LCGs, so there's been times I've literally just gotten bored and solo'd the Rhino encounter in about a half hour or less.

My only complaint about the game is that I hate the "discard cards to pay for other cards" mechanic, especially if it's not expected you'll be reshuffling them into your deck or recurring them some other way. The unplayable double resource cards are good, but I don't like discarding two good cards to pay for one good card especially when there's an element of surprise in the encounter deck.

Speaking of Arkham Horror, the April Fools joke just got made real.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This is the closest I'll get to a Beasts of Burden game I guess.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

This owns. I love the SQUIRREL treachery

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Marvel Champions rules question:

-Can I play support cards under another player's control? edit: no because text
-Can I play upgrades under the control of another player's ally?

I am assuming the answer is no because the text on Combat Training, an upgrade that says: "Play under any player's control. Max 1 per a player." However where is this rule that says no?

edit: I am also assuming no because page 11 of the rules that say "If the card is an ally, upgrade, or support, it enters play ready in that player’s play area."

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 3, 2019

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
There's a recent thread on BGG about Inspired, and the consensus is that because the wording is just 'attach to an ally', it can be any player's ally, and that the specific instruction takes precedence over the general rule about cards entering play under your control.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Ripley posted:

There's a recent thread on BGG about Inspired, and the consensus is that because the wording is just 'attach to an ally', it can be any player's ally, and that the specific instruction takes precedence over the general rule about cards entering play under your control.
OK, inspired was part of our question. We decided couldn't play helicarrier, but then afterward I was curious about Inspired. I could see it either way, so good to see a Caleb ruling. Thanks for the link!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Thor pack for Marvel Champions. Hero with a small handsize that tries to engage with as many enemies as possible.

Also a teaser image for the next three heroes and the first big box expansion.

Thinking Kate Bishop and Dr. Strange for the first two? Not sure on third.

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!

Fritzler posted:

Thor pack for Marvel Champions. Hero with a small handsize that tries to engage with as many enemies as possible.

I'm thinking Bruce Banner for the third, it's got a "scientist looking at vials" vibe to me.

People were also posting in the comments that the other packs may not be delayed till January?

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Too many heroes and not enough scenarios.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Elenkis posted:

At least Green Goblin and Wrecking Crew should be out relatively soon. I hope the story box has a bunch of them, though.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Elenkis posted:

I agree. I do think Green Goblin has two scenarios within the pack at least.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Fritzler posted:

I feel like it's Kitty Pryde, Bobby Drake, Scott Summers, then the Age of Apocalypse. Disney's got that X-Men license back.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

EVGA Longoria posted:

I feel like it's Kitty Pryde, Bobby Drake, Scott Summers, then the Age of Apocalypse. Disney's got that X-Men license back.

Boom.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

EVGA Longoria posted:

This 100%, the transparency for the first is a dead giveaway.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

I would love this, but don't see them bringing in the X-Men so early. I think we have a few more avengers and and then an avengers story box. Maybe X-Men after.

I also assumed Robbie Reyes would be out soon, but don't see him any of those silhouettes. Next hero would be a justice hero, and Kitty definitely who be a thwart based hero.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

At least Green Goblin and Wrecking Crew should be out relatively soon. I hope the story box has a bunch of them, though.

Yeah, but after Wrecking Crew it's going to be 5 months until we get the story box. Not sure how much I'm going to want to beat up Rhino and co again with another six heroes.

It kind of reminds me of the Marvel Heroes videogame, where they just kept pumping out new superheroes to play through the same tired content.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
FFG confirmed Cap, Ms.Marvel, and Green Goblin shipping in December for US release (I’m hoping this includes Canada).

They’re wildly inconsistent with their release schedule but I’ll take it!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Black Stones posted:

FFG confirmed Cap, Ms.Marvel, and Green Goblin shipping in December for US release (I’m hoping this includes Canada).

They’re wildly inconsistent with their release schedule but I’ll take it!

Apparently these all come out on Friday the 20th, which is nuts but cool.

The Thor previews look cool, he's gonna be fun to play aggro, and the 0 cost card that lets him find a minion to fight and remove three threat at the same time is awesome

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 10, 2019

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
This came up in a game I just played. With the card lay waste - http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/agameofthrones2ndedition/a-game-of-thrones-2nd-edition-cards/_/dragons-of-the-east/lay-waste-r1408

It says to discard location or attachment. Then you can get a lower cost location or attachment. So if my opponent gets rid of a location, do I have to search for location, or can I then choose that I want an attachment instead?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

This came up in a game I just played. With the card lay waste - http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/agameofthrones2ndedition/a-game-of-thrones-2nd-edition-cards/_/dragons-of-the-east/lay-waste-r1408

It says to discard location or attachment. Then you can get a lower cost location or attachment. So if my opponent gets rid of a location, do I have to search for location, or can I then choose that I want an attachment instead?

I don't play GoT but from what I know from other card games and other LCGs, the way that's worded indicates that you could bring out an attachment from a burnt location or a location from a burnt attachment.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, that’s how I had interpreted it. So looks like I was okay.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The Thor previews look cool, he's gonna be fun to play aggro, and the 0 cost card that lets him find a minion to fight and remove three threat at the same time is awesome
Thor seems cool to me but I have no idea why his nemesis is Loki. Everyone else's nemesis seems to be a lesser known villain so their main villain can be a scenario pack. Loki would be a great scenario pack or hero pack.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fritzler posted:

Thor seems cool to me but I have no idea why his nemesis is Loki. Everyone else's nemesis seems to be a lesser known villain so their main villain can be a scenario pack. Loki would be a great scenario pack or hero pack.

Alright, who would you have as Thor's nemesis if not Loki? The Enchantress is Loki with tits, when she's not just trying to cop off with Thor. Hela is a major scenario threat, not a constant foe. Surtur likewise.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Also with Loki you could make a villian pack with old loki and be fine. It's not like different instances of loki existing simultaneously hasnt happened before.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Jedit posted:

Alright, who would you have as Thor's nemesis if not Loki? The Enchantress is Loki with tits, when she's not just trying to cop off with Thor. Hela is a major scenario threat, not a constant foe. Surtur likewise.

Seeing as how we are drawing from the MCU, Thor's nemesis could be Obesity?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

Malekith, Kurse, Absorbing Man. Absorbing man especially since Titania is also a nemesis already, and if he was a scenario I would expect her to also be in it. Most of the nemesis aren't constant foes in the way that Loki is a constant foe of Thor, and seem to appear much less often in the super heroes' stories. Also Enchantress would be great for me because the unique rule wouldn't preclude a hero or scenario pack Loki.

frgildan posted:

Also with Loki you could make a villian pack with old loki and be fine. It's not like different instances of loki existing simultaneously hasnt happened before.
Yeah, my issue was due to the unique rules, and I'm re-reading them now. It says: "The players as a group are permitted to have only one copy of each unique card (by title) in play." Obviously the rules can change if a different pack is later released. However it does say go on to say " Because of this, a comparison of alter-egos and/or subtitles between two cards may create the following exceptions". As a Nemesis, Loki has no alter-ego or subtitle on the card in preview.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Fritzler posted:

Yeah, my issue was due to the unique rules, and I'm re-reading them now. It says: "The players as a group are permitted to have only one copy of each unique card (by title) in play." Obviously the rules can change if a different pack is later released. However it does say go on to say " Because of this, a comparison of alter-egos and/or subtitles between two cards may create the following exceptions". As a Nemesis, Loki has no alter-ego or subtitle on the card in preview.

I don't believe that a nemesis would be subject to the player uniqueness rules because the players wouldn't have the card in play, it's part of the villain deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I would also be easy to sidestep the rule by doing what MTG has been doing for ages, just add a title to the character's name. If Thor's nemesis is just plain "Loki", the villain version could be "Loki, God of Mischief" and no rules changes are needed.

Sure it gets weird if you have both the nemesis and the villain in play, but at least in Loki's case it's easy to justify nemesis Loki just being an illusion/projection/magical clone or what have you.