Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

right arm posted:

installed these sequential signals / DRLs technically last night, but videoed them this morning:

not as obnoxiously bright as the lovely gif quality makes it, but they're way better than the original DOT bulbs and then the other LEDs I had installed a few months back

alr posted:

Those look good and they move at a good speed. There's a dude I see sometimes on the way to work with a Jeep that has that style of indicator and they're dumb as hell, I dunno if they're OEM but it takes too long to do a full cycle across the light and they're dim. First couple of times I saw that style I thought it was a problem with the light or something

My only beef with this style of indicator is they wave on but blink off almost immediately as the last LED is lit. It's visually weird to me and means the full set of LEDs is only lit for a very short time. I'd much prefer if they were wave on wave off.

That's a clean install though, they look good. The inclusion of DRLs is nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Renaissance Robot posted:

My only beef with this style of indicator is they wave on but blink off almost immediately as the last LED is lit. It's visually weird to me and means the full set of LEDs is only lit for a very short time. I'd much prefer if they were wave on wave off.

That's a clean install though, they look good. The inclusion of DRLs is nice too.

Yeah, sequential indicators are tacky, not as good at their job as normal indicators, and a trend that can’t gently caress off quickly enough IMO

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think they're fine. Certainly better than many other aftermarket options, like the ones with smoked lenses, the ones that are just a tiny LED dot, or the ones that are a single combined thin strip that barely lights up and which doesn't have an obvious left or right.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shelvocke posted:

There's a shitton of companies rebranding cheaply made Chinese accessories for an insane markup re. the above. Pretty smart business model

I think coydog did a big write up on this once talking about how one of the real differences between companies is basically just LED quality control and it made sense to me. The other big difference is housing quality. For something like this, you’re probably right that they’re all just the same thing, but there are places where it’s actually different.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What my ride did to itself today: sprang a leak. Took it out to get groceries, everything's fine. Come back and my driveway looks like rainbow road, with a pretty steady drip coming off the bottom of the sump.

Don't know source yet, hopefully it's just the oil filter or drain plug or something, I was due an oil change anyway. I'll go out and take a look when it's cooled down a bit.

e/ well there's nothing above the oil filter that looks wet, so for now I'm assuming it's that. Also checked the sight glass and there's almost no oil left, so it's good this happened on a short trip! (and also while it was pissing it down with rain so nobody has a chance to slip and fall in my mess)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 7, 2019

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Toying with a new handlebar setup and some cheap test electronics on the scrambler project.

Rewiring for LEDs and aftermarket speedo on an old bike like this is not simple for an electrical noob like me.

22mm != 7/8"

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Bit the bullet and ripped the old electrical harness out to see what I can salvage before building a new one. It's icky and gross under there.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
In the middle of changing the oil now. It was in fact the filter o-ring that was leaking, confirmed when I ran the bike and it immediately started oozing. Oil came out pretty frothy, I assume that's from the pump chopping it because there's not much to work with? Although "not much" still came out to a couple litres. Wonder how low it'd have to get to trip the oil pressure light.

Again, glad this happened on a short trip. And that I happened to have everything I need to hand for once.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This probably isn't the case for you, but a data point just in case. I had always use Purolator ONE filters for my bike, no issues whatsoever. Then I developed a slow leak and tracked it down to the filter. Put on a new one, same issue. Turns out they very slightly modified their design and it wouldn't sit as flush against the engine as before, causing a very slow leak under pressure. Thankfully someone on my bike's forum had figured this out before me, because I was thinking something must have happened on the block / filter connection to make it start leaking like that. Got a different brand and no problems since then.

I've only had my oil get below the recommended line once, but I could by the shifting at low speeds that something wasn't right.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Actually something I did last week, finally upgrading the most important bit of equipment on my bike:

For reference, the OE Ducati horn sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dubc5trvvK0

I then waited almost a week for a chance to try it out in anger and had to deal with an almost unheard-of outbreak of non-shitness on the part of London's drivers. Finally got a chance except even then it was a stretch as I'd long noticed he was there, and only found out later the microphone cable had fallen out so I only got lovely onboard sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au1PptEz8Cg

Ah well, it works. If the weather's good at the weekend I'll have to head up to the West End to find tourists to scare, except it's the wrong time of year.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I actually despise London drivers so much I told my agency I no longer wanted to go there to work

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Actually something I did last week, finally upgrading the most important bit of equipment on my bike:

For reference, the OE Ducati horn sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dubc5trvvK0

I then waited almost a week for a chance to try it out in anger and had to deal with an almost unheard-of outbreak of non-shitness on the part of London's drivers. Finally got a chance except even then it was a stretch as I'd long noticed he was there, and only found out later the microphone cable had fallen out so I only got lovely onboard sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au1PptEz8Cg

Ah well, it works. If the weather's good at the weekend I'll have to head up to the West End to find tourists to scare, except it's the wrong time of year.

What horn did you get?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like a Denali soundbomb

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Which is just a rebranded Stebel Nautilus compact

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Started to replace my handlebars. Gave up when I realized that getting the throttle-by-wire cable and the switch housing cables through these bars was difficult, but getting the heated grip cables and the other switch housing cables through the other side was going to be virtually impossible.

I don't know what bullshit is involved in getting all that poo poo through those upper bars, but I'm going to take it to a shop tomorrow and have them run the cables.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Take the pins out of the connectors, tape them up and tape them to a piece of cable as a guide.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Take the pins out of the connectors, tape them up and tape them to a piece of cable as a guide.

Is there some kind of trick to getting the pins out of the connectors? I tried pushing them out with a straight hook pick but was mostly unsuccessful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There will be a secondary lock you have to remove first, usually it's a brightly colored bit of plastic that stops them coming out. Then, they usually have one or more little metal wings you need to push in OR the connector will have little plastic locking lugs you need to lever up.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
replaced the headlight on the 300 xcw. tried to start it, could not start it. kicked the gently caress out of it and just ended up winded and sore

i'll try and ether start it and/or clean the carb next time i guess

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Not sure about dirt bikes but with street bikes a lot of the wiring harness hookups live in the light bucket. It’s possible something got pulled loose?

If it doesn’t start tomorrow then grab your multimeter and head to the questions thread I guess.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Ulf posted:

Not sure about dirt bikes but with street bikes a lot of the wiring harness hookups live in the light bucket. It’s possible something got pulled loose?

If it doesn’t start tomorrow then grab your multimeter and head to the questions thread I guess.

nah, nothing to do with the headlight-- the last time i rode it was without anything even plugged in. probably something stuck in the jets from sitting so long

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Looks like a Denali soundbomb

Soundbomb Compact.

Jazzzzz posted:

Which is just a rebranded Stebel Nautilus compact

Sort of, the original Denali is a rebranded Stebel Nautilus, but the Compact model is smaller and more weatherproof than the Nautilus Compact (and like half the price).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Which goon was it put an air horn on their ninjette?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

I started by sanding out the deep pits in the clutch cover that have worsened over the years and got a bit carried away.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I just installed the cables from my battery to heated Gerbing motorcycle gloves!

I was quite intimidated at first but there was nothing to it, just 4 10mm nuts to undo and then the cables install, then put them back on again and put the seat and pillion seat back on!

My first mod! :rice:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Why is the coiled Gerbing extension cable (a pretty much mandatory part) not included with the heated gloves?

Why does it cost 17 quid? It’s a wire.

Fucks sake. Ordered it. But I’m not pleased.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
What a rollercoaster

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Steakandchips posted:

Why is the coiled Gerbing extension cable (a pretty much mandatory part) not included with the heated gloves?

Why does it cost 17 quid? It’s a wire.

Fucks sake. Ordered it. But I’m not pleased.

I mean.. Apple still sells people chargers for 30 quid each and removed the headphone jack for a similar reason.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I also took my DRZ to its winter resting place. First time I've had to in the past 5 years.

And American tow ratings can suck it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
There are more pictures of bigfoot than walkthroughs on how to wire heated grips in a new Road Glide.

Actually, correction - there are more pictures of bigfoot than walkthroughs on how to wire heated grips in a new Road Glide correctly.

There are so many videos of people taking their seats off and installing leads directly on the battery, fools taking their whole fairings apart.. turns out HD made it so easy to install that there's a connector right in the middle of that spaghetti basket, but it has a blank male connector attached to it, so I couldn't find the friggin thing for the life of me. Eventually I did.

Anyway. Now I have new handlebars and heated grips. Hooray!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How'd you get on with threading the wire through?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

How'd you get on with threading the wire through?

I broke one of the connectors by accident and then took it to a shop and had them do it. The throttle has a decent size connector, and I didn't want to find out what it would cost if I broke that cable.

Qpid Stunt
Jul 4, 2018
Chinese bike fired up and did another 40 miles today, been a real peach. Still can't help thinking i'm riding a hand grenade though.....

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Prototyped a tail/brake light chip to go in the rear housing. I'll probably end up using normal LED rear bulbs but it was fun anyway.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Was riding my new bike home, and things didn’t feel right. No Nut November is real y’all.

:dogbutton:

This is a 2017 bike I bought “used” from a dealer with 12 miles on it- I got it to around 250 when this happened. Looks like an axle block, washer and nut all managed to escape. Not sure how this could have happened other than being poorly torqued? Seeing if the dealer will just ship me the parts to fix it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That would be my guess. I always torque my nuts.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow, that is ......

uh ....

something :stonk:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Was riding my new bike home, and things didn’t feel right. No Nut November is real y’all.

:dogbutton:

This is a 2017 bike I bought “used” from a dealer with 12 miles on it- I got it to around 250 when this happened. Looks like an axle block, washer and nut all managed to escape. Not sure how this could have happened other than being poorly torqued? Seeing if the dealer will just ship me the parts to fix it.

Dealer_mechanics.jpeg

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Same thing happened on my Ducati but I had the excuse that the rear axle on that thing was a horrible design. What the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

NO. That's one of my worst fears. I'm so glad you caught it in time.