Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yes which is why it was weird that they freaked out about it so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you are, you're going to be in trouble.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cavauro posted:

if you are, you're going to be in trouble.

Oi'm afraid oi've got some bad news!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

flashy_mcflash posted:

Am I high? Isn't this verbatim what they were saying?

They're acknowledging most of the stuff was worked and then saying it doesn't matter. It's really stupid.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MJeff posted:

They're acknowledging most of the stuff was worked and then saying it doesn't matter. It's really stupid.

I don't share this opinion but I think they were saying that whether it was gimmicked or not, the fans will take it to be real which, yes, is a pretty dumb thing to clutch pearls about.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Maybe I'm just reading into it too much, but I assumed they're point was they were turned off by the level of violence worked or not. Like how you know a movies fake but graphic depictions of violence can still be a turn off.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

Maybe I'm just reading into it too much, but I assumed they're point was they were turned off by the level of violence worked or not. Like how you know a movies fake but graphic depictions of violence can still be a turn off.

See I guess I don't really get that because I watch a frankly ghastly number of horror movies but get far more skeeved at documentaries that depict actual killing, even if it's not very graphic.

It honestly came off like Bryan and Dave just weren't at all familiar with the garbage wrestling scene in the US or Japan, which I know can't be the case. How you could see those spots and think they were worse than most of modern day PCO/Gage stuff or even old FMW shows seems crazy to me.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t think this was nearly as bad as either of the other two lights out matches. It felt like they toned it down.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm a weenie who couldn't get into the couple of BJW death matches I've watched this year, and I had no issue stomaching Omega/Moxley.

Anyway, we're all missing the real hosed up conversation from this WOR, which was the fight over the Asuka booking.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MJeff posted:

Exactly.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He's taking an intentionally stupid position towards something AEW related so people will stop accusing him of being on the payroll. 900 IQ play from Big Brains Dave.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Might also be he's upset that Kenny "lowered himself" doing the match. Or that the company looks like an "outlaw mudshow" doing deathmatch stuff as its seldom treated with the same respect as landing on your neck as hard as possible or causing light internal bleeding with chops.
He also might be worried that it gets over, becomes expected and that will lower the companies value if it becomes an extreme bloodzone or worse a niche product that'll fail and leave WWE dominant again for 40 more years.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Based on both the Dave and Sempervive comments I’ve gone back and watched all the Kenny Omega CZW matches and holy poo poo it’s a good thing he took it easy last night. Those matches were unbelievable.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MJeff posted:

He's taking an intentionally stupid position towards something AEW related so people will stop accusing him of being on the payroll. 900 IQ play from Big Brains Dave.

ngl that's what it comes off as just because it's so loving stupid.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Jordan7hm posted:

Based on both the Dave and Sempervive comments I’ve gone back and watched all the Kenny Omega CZW matches and holy poo poo it’s a good thing he took it easy last night. Those matches were unbelievable.
Yeah, people wouldn't BELIEVE the insane things that Kenny Omega did in CZW!

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
If Kenny could wrestle the invisible man, a blow up doll, and a 9 year old girl, maybe the entire CZW roster was always wrestling an invisible Kenny Omega.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

If Kenny could wrestle the invisible man, a blow up doll, and a 9 year old girl, maybe the entire CZW roster was always wrestling an invisible Kenny Omega.
Unless I’m missing something - if only. I would love to see Kenny doing 10 minutes of solo bumps. Dude would sell like crazy and it would be fantastic.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Does anyone have the video from the interview where Moxley is talking about the skill saw spot from one of the tournaments of death?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
All this discussion reminds me of the super lame Ambrose-Lesnar buildup to WM32 with the chainsaw hahaha

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

The_Rob posted:

Does anyone have the video from the interview where Moxley is talking about the skill saw spot from one of the tournaments of death?
The shoot interview clip, linked upthread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQhjUz5LLMc

The match (sawblade spots start at 10:25): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ZJZ-r9t8E

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

illcendiary posted:

All this discussion reminds me of the super lame Ambrose-Lesnar buildup to WM32 with the chainsaw hahaha

That match and Mox's anger at having to sell a match he knew wasn't going to happen as it was sold is why I view anyone pulling the "I was expecting, like, some tables and stuff!" card as either stupid or ignoring reality in service of a stupid point.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Jordan7hm posted:

Unless I’m missing something - if only. I would love to see Kenny doing 10 minutes of solo bumps. Dude would sell like crazy and it would be fantastic.

I just assumed it or something similar had happened at some point in his time with DDT.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

1990! With Bruce Mitchell on board for a very "WCW" WCW section, including the peak of the "signing Art Barr to be a children's hero just weeks after he copped a plea on rape charges" saga:

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1193755903062953984

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The constant insistence that the Bucks need to be the top tag team in AEW and the complaining that goes every time they lose a match when they are clearly not positioning themselves as a top tier team in the company right now is getting really annoying.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

aew should sign bryan as a wrestler and make dave his valet and only book them in lights out matches to get revenge on them. Thats what i think

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Listening to Dave desperately try to defend the raw booking was even sadder than the full gear stuff to me.

Also for my two cents I’m not a death match fan (or even really a fan of hardcore stuff in general), but I thought Dave was totally overreacting. Can’t help but feel like he was asked to overplay the brutality of it by Omega. Like seriously a child would know that wasn’t real glass and that the logo light thing they went through was gimmicked.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
“Ric kicks Hogan in the unmentionables. Hogan in much pain.”

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Bryan needs to review Toy Story 2

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao the 2020 predictions video granny found

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

njsykora posted:

The constant insistence that the Bucks need to be the top tag team in AEW and the complaining that goes every time they lose a match when they are clearly not positioning themselves as a top tier team in the company right now is getting really annoying.

I thought this PPV was the first original Bucks match in a long while. I'm ok with them taking a long road to the top. And this is from someone that was bored with the bucks a long time ago. NJPW was right for not pushing them.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The bucks: The Hybrid Two without the fun ring gear and dances? It appears so.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

To this day people still speak in hushed tones of the time that Atsushi Onita defeated Mr. Pogo by lighting one of his own farts.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 11, 2019

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I had to stop during the Asuka match debate because my brain just could not take either Dave or Bryan talking about it anymore.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

We did get the classic follow up on WOL though where Bryan gets to make the same point without anyone to argue against him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Unless Asuka is doing youtube poo poo, there's no reason to really spend more than 30 seconds talking about what she did.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

njsykora posted:

Especially since they've given interviews talking about how they know they need to spend more time executiving and less time wrestling.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, the AEW thread has talked about how Cody is burning through all of the angles/homages he could do in a real short period of time. It seems to me that might be because partially the EVPs are planning on escaping to behind the scenes while they have talent that can lead AEW to success and running out of stories for them isn't so bad because they are here to burn brightly and catch others in the light.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

davidbix posted:

Especially since they've given interviews talking about how they know they need to spend more time executiving and less time wrestling.

They even said before AEW began that their retirement would be sooner than people would assume, and if that's the case, doing the time honored tradition of going out on your back isn't a bad thing.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Can't believe no one's mentioned Bryan's mini-rant about how he blocks anyone who says boomer on twitter because he was super gotten to by people saying "ok boomer" to him regarding the omega/moxley match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

he blocked me for prank calling his Haunted House show. Bryan has extremely thin skin.