Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Duckman2008 posted:

Questions :

Do you have multiple lines, and is the account in your name or not your name?

The technical wait time for a “Winback” is 60 days. Whether it gets triggered or not tends to be whether the entire account is closed out or not.

Yes and no, respectively. Bummer about the winback timer, maybe I will just wait for Black Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Keyser_Soze posted:

I just signed up my widowed mom and her iPhone 6s+ to the Vzn 3gb single phone prepaid $40 plan coming from the overpriced AT&T shared plan she had with pops.

Are there any drawbacks other than getting crappier coverage and only 480p golden retriever videos with the prepaid plan? She is in the California foothills quite a bit so I want her phone to work at least as well as it did with AT&T.

Can I switch her to a postpaid without too much of a hassle if need be?

Just a lot less customer service options, you have to pay the bill on time and no phone payment plan options.

It’s super easy to go from prepaid to postpaid.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
Is anyone using a OnePlus or other non-CDMA device? I'm looking for a new phone, and the OnePlus 7t is pretty much ticking all the boxes I want. Even thought the 7T has CDMA radios in it, it doesn't look like Verizon will support them. I live in a fairly rural area, but it's been a long time since I've had service that was 3g only, and with the eventual demise of the CDMA network, might as well do my part to hasten it along. So from what I gather, you slip your existing sim into the OnePlus, call or chat with VZW to let them know you have a non-CDMA capable device so they can send out a different PRL, and that's it? For those who are using something like a OnePlus, do you notice anything different by having Verizon flag your phone as non-CDMA?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Follow up story: Moving from an XS Max to a "regular" iPhone 11 was an awesome move and I stopped missing the slightly larger screen and OLED in about 10 minutes of use. Also lower bill. Feels good.
If anyone is considering the same type of device change, my opinion is totally go for it, you won't be disappointed. Just waiting on my son's old line to get removed at the end of this month to see the real impact on my bill more.

I assume the reason they will allow you to open a new line and then trade in a device that's on a currently line already for the full promotional trade in value is because as a metric, it's still a new line and that looks good or something? I'm surprised they have no issue with this. I'm not complaining.

That's my awesome story thanks for listening.

OMGMYSPLEEN fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 6, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

uli2000 posted:

Is anyone using a OnePlus or other non-CDMA device? I'm looking for a new phone, and the OnePlus 7t is pretty much ticking all the boxes I want. Even thought the 7T has CDMA radios in it, it doesn't look like Verizon will support them. I live in a fairly rural area, but it's been a long time since I've had service that was 3g only, and with the eventual demise of the CDMA network, might as well do my part to hasten it along. So from what I gather, you slip your existing sim into the OnePlus, call or chat with VZW to let them know you have a non-CDMA capable device so they can send out a different PRL, and that's it? For those who are using something like a OnePlus, do you notice anything different by having Verizon flag your phone as non-CDMA?

If it isn’t on the list , Verizon pretty much just tells you it isn’t supported, you can try, but if it doesn’t work it isn’t Verizon’s problem.

I thought the most recent One Plus was compatible. I’ll try and remember to check when I get to work.

A lot of Verizon phones are slowly going LTE only. I actually use my iPhone as an eSIM, which is LTE only, and it’s fine, no difference. I’ve spoken to employees in places like Montana where yeah, you would notice the difference, so I guess it depends on how rural you mean by rural. Should be fine LTE only in most areas.

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Follow up story: Moving from an XS Max to a "regular" iPhone 11 was an awesome move and I stopped missing the slightly larger screen and OLED in about 10 minutes of use. Also lower bill. Feels good.
If anyone is considering the same type of device change, my opinion is totally go for it, you won't be disappointed. Just waiting on my son's old line to get removed at the end of this month to see the real impact on my bill more.

I assume the reason they will allow you to open a new line and then trade in a device that's on a currently line already for the full promotional trade in value is because as a metric, it's still a new line and that looks good or something? I'm surprised they have no issue with this. I'm not complaining.

That's my awesome story thanks for listening.

Verizon is a fortune 50 company, their stock lives and dies on steady growth, so adding customers (and the new monthly revenue with it) is huge for shareholder value. And I’m sure they know people add and cancel, but I’m guessing that not everyone does.

Not that I agree with the above analysis, but that’s why they’re so big on adding lines.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Stopped by the local Verizon non-company store today to get some info on new phones since we're 4 years into ours and my wife wants to upgrade. We've got 3 lines, 14 gigs total between plan + bonus gigs and then carry over. We never use all of that. We have an employer discount and pay around $116/mo before taxes and poo poo. Questions:

-Dude at the store was really pushing the new unlimited poo poo as better for us somehow, but I'm not seeing it or am missing something. I guess we would lose our monthly discount but then wouldn't pay the activation fees which doesn't seem like a good deal in any way. Are we best off sticking with what we've got?

-Last time we got phones (4 years ago) we wanted to just buy our phones outright but if we did the 24mo payment plan there was some kind of offsetting bill credit that made that make more sense. I guess that's not the case anymore?

-So can we just upgrade to our new phones online with Verizon, buy them outright, and otherwise leave our plan and monthly bill as it is now? Is this our best bet if we don't care or need to pay for our new phones over 2 years?

If it matters, my wife had the iPhone 6s and will get one of the 11's this month or next. I have a Galaxy S6 Edge and will probably wait until sometime next year and get one of the new Galaxies whenever they come out. The third line is my mother-in-law with my old Galaxy S3, and we will probably just "upgrade" her to my current S6 whenever I replace it.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
As I understand it, they’re pushing unlimited plans as it allows Verizon the flexibility of throttling you in high traffic areas. Anyways, that’s why I’m not switching. It’s expensive enough without giving them carte Blanche to slow down my access because of their poo poo subsidized infrastructure.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They'll throttle you even on grandfathered ULD - having it doesn't put a golden "you can't gently caress with me" halo around your phone. You'll never be able to prove they're doing it without access to their administrative tools.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Final Blog Entry posted:

Stopped by the local Verizon non-company store today to get some info on new phones since we're 4 years into ours and my wife wants to upgrade. We've got 3 lines, 14 gigs total between plan + bonus gigs and then carry over. We never use all of that. We have an employer discount and pay around $116/mo before taxes and poo poo. Questions:

-Dude at the store was really pushing the new unlimited poo poo as better for us somehow, but I'm not seeing it or am missing something. I guess we would lose our monthly discount but then wouldn't pay the activation fees which doesn't seem like a good deal in any way. Are we best off sticking with what we've got?

-Last time we got phones (4 years ago) we wanted to just buy our phones outright but if we did the 24mo payment plan there was some kind of offsetting bill credit that made that make more sense. I guess that's not the case anymore?

-So can we just upgrade to our new phones online with Verizon, buy them outright, and otherwise leave our plan and monthly bill as it is now? Is this our best bet if we don't care or need to pay for our new phones over 2 years?

If it matters, my wife had the iPhone 6s and will get one of the 11's this month or next. I have a Galaxy S6 Edge and will probably wait until sometime next year and get one of the new Galaxies whenever they come out. The third line is my mother-in-law with my old Galaxy S3, and we will probably just "upgrade" her to my current S6 whenever I replace it.

1. I would have to check your bill to confirm, but when you got that monthly discount for the phone, what happened was 2 years in your phone payment stopped, line discount continued. So there is no further line discount because you are already getting it.

2. Verizon wants people on unlimited plans because they’re usually more expensive, and on a side note no issues of overage (which causes people to get mad and switch). Obviously, it’s 90% more profit.

3. Sure , you can buy them outright online at Verizon. My main disclaimer is if you can wait , wait to see what Black Friday promos are. Some promos unfortunately do require unlimited, so hard to say whether you will benefit or not, but it’s so close I would wait and see.

4. If you want an online referral code please feel free to PM me. Any other questions also PM me.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My ma got the new prepaid sim card and put it in and went through some screens and the phone worked but she nor the cell phone store person (no dedicated Vzn shop in her small town) could get the online web registration/pin to work. You weren't kidding about the call in prepaid customer service basically being non-existent. You just get set in a loop of selections that never lead you to a person. It's obvious all the companies hate prepaid $35/month customers.

Chat with customer service ended up working though and they got it reset and sent the actual pin for online account registration! It's not even the same chat people for prepaid they transfer you to them.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 10, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

My ma got the new prepaid sim card and put it in and went through some screens and the phone worked but she nor the cell phone store person (no dedicated Vzn shop in her small town) could get the online web registration/pin to work. You weren't kidding about the call in prepaid customer service basically being non-existent. You just get set in a loop of selections that never lead you to a person. It's obvious all the companies hate prepaid $35/month customers.

Chat ended up working though!

I remember spending 2 1/2 hours at a VZW corporate store trying to get an Essential PH-1 to work on Verizon. We could get data to work but not voice and text. Switching to "Global" on the bands is what finally worked.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
6 months in to switching from sprint post to vzw pre and I have 0 complaints. I barely hit 7gigs a month on my worst month on a 15 gig plan so maybe i'm not the best use case but i'm paying almost half what I paid sprint for unlimited trash service

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

6 months in to switching from sprint post to vzw pre and I have 0 complaints. I barely hit 7gigs a month on my worst month on a 15 gig plan so maybe i'm not the best use case but i'm paying almost half what I paid sprint for unlimited trash service

Nice man , happy to hear it. Overall, prepaid is fine as long as you don’t have to interact with customer service that often or crush data.

I have unlimited and most months I use like, 3-5GB. I just don’t stream video.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I think when our current phones are paid up I'm switching us to prepaid. I don't see the value with postpaid anymore, but I'm not wanting to leave the Verizon network because of the coverage. I'm presuming coverage will be the same whether we are pre- or postpaid?

Just checked, and our "normal" usage would definitely be covered by 6gb on one line, 16gb on the other. That seems to be $65/month for the service only, BYOD? We currently pay $160 with discounts and device payments, and have been hitting our 8GB cap reliably with 4-6 days left in our billing cycle. That's saving almost $100/month, and the only real discount we're currently getting is a promo payment on my Pixel 3 XL of $17/month.

The only real downside besides support is no phone payment plans on prepaid, and no device upgrade promos, correct? I usually keep phones for 2.5-3.5 years, my wife likes to upgrade every other iPhone release. But saving $100/month is going to cover a new, very expensive phone every year. We don't pay for phone insurance, and usually only go into the store for her phone upgrades every other year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PitViper posted:

I think when our current phones are paid up I'm switching us to prepaid. I don't see the value with postpaid anymore, but I'm not wanting to leave the Verizon network because of the coverage. I'm presuming coverage will be the same whether we are pre- or postpaid?

Just checked, and our "normal" usage would definitely be covered by 6gb on one line, 16gb on the other. That seems to be $65/month for the service only, BYOD? We currently pay $160 with discounts and device payments, and have been hitting our 8GB cap reliably with 4-6 days left in our billing cycle. That's saving almost $100/month, and the only real discount we're currently getting is a promo payment on my Pixel 3 XL of $17/month.

The only real downside besides support is no phone payment plans on prepaid, and no device upgrade promos, correct? I usually keep phones for 2.5-3.5 years, my wife likes to upgrade every other iPhone release. But saving $100/month is going to cover a new, very expensive phone every year. We don't pay for phone insurance, and usually only go into the store for her phone upgrades every other year.

How many lines do you have , 2 ? I think your math on prepaid monthly is right, but I would have to double check and I think it requires autopay.

That said, there are two differences for prepaid. Not necessarily major, but you have to be aware of them :

1. Prepaid plans def will get de prioritized over postpaid. If you’re on a congested tower , you could have slower data. 480 video streaming , etc.

2. Prepaid customer service is very , very bad. In theory, if you pay your bill every month, you won’t need it. But yeah, it’s really bad customer service if poo poo ever hits the fan.

And then yeah, no phone payment plans, no phone discounts , etc. the upside is of course monthly plans are a bit cheaper. So if those downsides don’t bother you, for sure go for it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Duckman2008 posted:

How many lines do you have , 2 ? I think your math on prepaid monthly is right, but I would have to double check and I think it requires autopay.

That said, there are two differences for prepaid. Not necessarily major, but you have to be aware of them :

1. Prepaid plans def will get de prioritized over postpaid. If you’re on a congested tower , you could have slower data. 480 video streaming , etc.

2. Prepaid customer service is very , very bad. In theory, if you pay your bill every month, you won’t need it. But yeah, it’s really bad customer service if poo poo ever hits the fan.

And then yeah, no phone payment plans, no phone discounts , etc. the upside is of course monthly plans are a bit cheaper. So if those downsides don’t bother you, for sure go for it.

Yeah, two lines now, and I doubt we'd be adding more until our kid is old enough for a phone. And yes, autopay was required in my scenario, but we're on postpaid w/autopay and a 20% employer discount now. I'm just hitting phone bill burnout with how huge our bill is for two lines, and hitting the data cap the last 3 months isn't helping either. If I could somehow get bumped to the 12/16GB shared data plans I probably would stick with postpaid, but I can't justify almost doubling our service bill to move us to a reasonable unlimited plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PitViper posted:

Yeah, two lines now, and I doubt we'd be adding more until our kid is old enough for a phone. And yes, autopay was required in my scenario, but we're on postpaid w/autopay and a 20% employer discount now. I'm just hitting phone bill burnout with how huge our bill is for two lines, and hitting the data cap the last 3 months isn't helping either. If I could somehow get bumped to the 12/16GB shared data plans I probably would stick with postpaid, but I can't justify almost doubling our service bill to move us to a reasonable unlimited plan.

The 12GB is completely gone, but sometimes the 16GB plan is available. You won’t be able to see it, I would call customer care and ask if they have the option.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I’m sure most people can figure it out, but Might as well post it here, here’s the official Disney Plus link.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/disneyplus/

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, I've already signed up, and I did the bundle because I already have Hulu, so I essentially get ESPN+ for free out of the deal.

When I see this text:

"If you are a current Disney+ monthly or third-party-billed subscriber (monthly or annual), this promotional offer will not automatically replace that subscription; after you enroll and complete the account setup, you will be sent an email with information about how to manage your existing subscription"

Does that mean I'll have to sign up for a new account and do something with my existing one to get the promo?

I don't want my Disney+ billed to my Verizon account, regardless. I don't like crossing my universes like that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, I've already signed up, and I did the bundle because I already have Hulu, so I essentially get ESPN+ for free out of the deal.

When I see this text:

"If you are a current Disney+ monthly or third-party-billed subscriber (monthly or annual), this promotional offer will not automatically replace that subscription; after you enroll and complete the account setup, you will be sent an email with information about how to manage your existing subscription"

Does that mean I'll have to sign up for a new account and do something with my existing one to get the promo?

I don't want my Disney+ billed to my Verizon account, regardless. I don't like crossing my universes like that.

Honestly , it’s too early for me to know for sure.

I’m pretty sure though, for the free year you have to have it “billed” via Verizon at the $0 a month, and then reconfigure at the year mark. Because they probably have it configured where if you switched services, your year free ends.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, unless you live in NM, the free trial automatically turns into a paid one exactly one year after you subscribe, and remember that 2020 is a leap year, so it'll probably be a 365 day trial in a 366 day year.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm trying to cut costs, so I'm looking at not-unlimited-data plans.

Once I pay off the remainder of my phone, what is the better option in terms of pricing, a pre- or postpaid plan? What are the differences? And what is the price for the most affordable of each?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

I'm trying to cut costs, so I'm looking at not-unlimited-data plans.

Once I pay off the remainder of my phone, what is the better option in terms of pricing, a pre- or postpaid plan? What are the differences? And what is the price for the most affordable of each?

What is important for your phone to do and how much data ?

Prepaid: cheaper , but basically no customer support, you can be throttled on a congested tower at any time. Also, if you miss paying your bill you’re auto turned off until you pay (hence prepaid)

Double data promo I believe is still in effect, plans are (with double data)
$30: 1GB
$40: 6GB
$50: 16GB
$70: unlimited

Postpaid: probably more expensive if it’s one person. On the data plans can’t be throttled until you hit your limit.

$60: 5GB
$70: unlimited

No other single line plan will make sense other than those two.

Wildcard: do you get a work discount or have ever been in military?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I work for the State Dept of Health, so I believe I get a discount of some kind.

I am currently on the Beyond Unlimited plan, and while I currently use a lot of data as well as the tethering feature, neither of these is a necessity and I've been on a data limited plan before, when I was on T-Mobile.

My goal is to get my bill down from the ~$120 mark. I assume all plans get unlimited talk and text nowadays.

I *usually* have wifi available, although sometimes I use data because it's actually better than the wifi in some of the places I go.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

I work for the State Dept of Health, so I believe I get a discount of some kind.

I am currently on the Beyond Unlimited plan, and while I currently use a lot of data as well as the tethering feature, neither of these is a necessity and I've been on a data limited plan before, when I was on T-Mobile.

My goal is to get my bill down from the ~$120 mark. I assume all plans get unlimited talk and text nowadays.

I *usually* have wifi available, although sometimes I use data because it's actually better than the wifi in some of the places I go.

Yeah, depends on how much data you have, and whether you live in an area that gets congested a lot. You’ll notice network management throttling more in like, NYC vs if you live in like, Buffalo or some smaller city. Right now you don’t get throttled, so just FYI.

Beyond unlimited is $85 with autopay with checking account. Play Unlimited has the same features and it $80 with autopay with checking account, so you can save $5 there at the least.

The 5GB postpaid plan gets a work discount , and an auto pay discount. So if you are under 5GB, you can get down to about $50 for 5GB.

The $50 for 16GB obviously is better data wise, main disclaimer is very little customer support if you have any issues, and a lower network priority vs postpaid.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Hey look another year and another chance for Verizon to piss on all its existing customers.

Every "deal" requires you to "switch" to Verizon.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Best Buy had the much better deal on the Note 10+ this week, so I did it there. All online, hooked into my account seamlessly, totally pain free.

The only downside is that shipping takes a week. But it's not urgent, so meh.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

Hey look another year and another chance for Verizon to piss on all its existing customers.

Every "deal" requires you to "switch" to Verizon.

Well, the Samsung phones were $350 off. Otherwise, yeah new customers got better promos. Unfortunately that’s how all the carriers do it now.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pixel 4 XL was $400 off at Best Buy for upgrade, not even a trade in required. I got one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yo Duckman: what does adding a tablet to my account cost and what do I get? I'm considering getting a cellular iPad Pro, and want to be able to add it and remove it as necessary, if possible. Does it come out of my regular data or is it a separate cap? I can't find any info on it at all. I have one of the current unlimited plans.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Device trade in question: I know they specifically ask if the screen is cracked and if the phone turns on when you say you are trading in a device through the Verizon site; do they care about a small crack on the back of a device? My wife is trading in her s8+ and she has a very small crack in the upper corner of the back. She's all concerned and I figure it's no big deal. Should we be worried?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Yo Duckman: what does adding a tablet to my account cost and what do I get? I'm considering getting a cellular iPad Pro, and want to be able to add it and remove it as necessary, if possible. Does it come out of my regular data or is it a separate cap? I can't find any info on it at all. I have one of the current unlimited plans.

Let me know what specific plan you have. In a nutshell, it’s $20 a month for unlimited data (I’m pretty sure you have some unlimited plan). Depending on what you have, if you go to Do or Get more, you get $10 off, just a question of whether it’s worth it.

This weekend was absolute insanity, so I don’t know the promos this week, but it’s usually $100 off the iPad if you do payment plan, $200 off if you’re buying a phone.

How often are you thinking of adding and removing it ? 2 things to consider: any promo will drop if you remove it, and there’s a $40 act fee each time (assuming you can’t get care to waive it, and $20 if you activate through online).

Let me know and I’ll iron out the details. As always, I can provide a referral code or whatever if needed.

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Device trade in question: I know they specifically ask if the screen is cracked and if the phone turns on when you say you are trading in a device through the Verizon site; do they care about a small crack on the back of a device? My wife is trading in her s8+ and she has a very small crack in the upper corner of the back. She's all concerned and I figure it's no big deal. Should we be worried?

Yeah dude, they’ll usually ding you on that. Or sucks, but the trade in policies usually is pretty much “are there any cracks?” And as soon as it’s a yes it def reduces the trade in value.

You can send it in and cross your fingers , or get it repaired. It’s hard because the backs aren’t cheap to fix. Depending on the promo, rolling the dice and hoping they won’t care isn’t a bad idea, but it’s def not a guarantee you’ll get the promo.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah dude, they’ll usually ding you on that. Or sucks, but the trade in policies usually is pretty much “are there any cracks?” And as soon as it’s a yes it def reduces the trade in value.

You can send it in and cross your fingers , or get it repaired. It’s hard because the backs aren’t cheap to fix. Depending on the promo, rolling the dice and hoping they won’t care isn’t a bad idea, but it’s def not a guarantee you’ll get the promo.

I imagine this is somewhere in the emails and crap I've gotten, but how long do you usually have to send back the trade in device? Her phone was actually damaged at work and they are paying for the repair, and she went to a repair place that ordered her a new actual Samsung back but we figured we could pocket the repair cash and trade it in. Obviously if this might hurt our chances of getting the sweet sweet $400 on trade that Verizon offered on Black Friday, I'll have her get it fixed first.

Also do you have to mail in the trade or can you go into a Verizon store and turn it in there?

Thanks for the info!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

I imagine this is somewhere in the emails and crap I've gotten, but how long do you usually have to send back the trade in device? Her phone was actually damaged at work and they are paying for the repair, and she went to a repair place that ordered her a new actual Samsung back but we figured we could pocket the repair cash and trade it in. Obviously if this might hurt our chances of getting the sweet sweet $400 on trade that Verizon offered on Black Friday, I'll have her get it fixed first.

Thanks for the info!

2 weeks from date of purchase is the official answer, but honestly the system is good about grabbing it up to 30-40 days later. Even after that there is a ticket system in place.

That said, always better not to play with fire, shoot for 2 weeks.

To confirm: you did switch to Verizon over Black Friday weekend ? If so, you are locked in by purchase date and are fine. Just checking since the promos are now over. Unless you want half off a 512 XS Max (Verizon always has very very weird cyber Monday promos).

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

2 weeks from date of purchase is the official answer, but honestly the system is good about grabbing it up to 30-40 days later. Even after that there is a ticket system in place.

That said, always better not to play with fire, shoot for 2 weeks.

To confirm: you did switch to Verizon over Black Friday weekend ? If so, you are locked in by purchase date and are fine. Just checking since the promos are now over. Unless you want half off a 512 XS Max (Verizon always has very very weird cyber Monday promos).

Nah, they had some kind of one day only upgrade your device were throwing up to $400 off on a new iPhone. I was quite surprised when her s8+ came up as $400 for trade. She's wanted to upgrade and got the 11 Pro Maxxxx for the monthly price of a regular 11.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Nah, they had some kind of one day only upgrade your device were throwing up to $400 off on a new iPhone. I was quite surprised when her s8+ came up as $400 for trade. She's wanted to upgrade and got the 11 Pro Maxxxx for the monthly price of a regular 11.

Hey, take it. It was only supposed to be $300 for upgrades, but if they gave you $400 that’s awesome.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey, take it. It was only supposed to be $300 for upgrades, but if they gave you $400 that’s awesome.

Absolutely! I guess the repair place has the part in and is waiting for our call, so I'm playing it safe. Thanks again for your help!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Let me know what specific plan you have. In a nutshell, it’s $20 a month for unlimited data (I’m pretty sure you have some unlimited plan). Depending on what you have, if you go to Do or Get more, you get $10 off, just a question of whether it’s worth it.

This weekend was absolute insanity, so I don’t know the promos this week, but it’s usually $100 off the iPad if you do payment plan, $200 off if you’re buying a phone.

How often are you thinking of adding and removing it ? 2 things to consider: any promo will drop if you remove it, and there’s a $40 act fee each time (assuming you can’t get care to waive it, and $20 if you activate through online).

Let me know and I’ll iron out the details. As always, I can provide a referral code or whatever if needed.
Best Buy had them for $200 off without a plan, so I got that. In any case, if I have to pay an activation fee, gently caress that. I'll just find some prepaid something or other. I'd probably only have it connected a few times a year, so it definitely won't be worth paying for monthly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Best Buy had them for $200 off without a plan, so I got that. In any case, if I have to pay an activation fee, gently caress that. I'll just find some prepaid something or other. I'd probably only have it connected a few times a year, so it definitely won't be worth paying for monthly.

Glad you found that discount, $200 off no plan is solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
I am switching two lines from a post paid to prepaid. Is it easiest to just go into the verizon store or call to do this? I tried doing it online and I got to check out but it would not let me because I already have a Verizon number.