Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In the pilot episode, Seth lines up The crew and goes down the line just announcing their personalities and the weird quirks of their species.

The little I've seen of it wasn't as bad as the worst of TNG, but it also can't reach those highs either. Sure, you got a lot of the creative's from TNG but they only had enough good ideas for 4 out of 7 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Humerus posted:

Not sure if you know this but Mcfarlane is a huge Star Trek fan, so much so that he had a guest spot on Enterprise (maybe two?). I haven't watched Orville but it doesn't surprise me that he's doing his takes on Star Trek episodes since he basically just wanted to make a new Star Trek show anyway.

You also have a surprising amount of Trek alumni invovled in the production at a high level. Brannon Braga is a producer and has directed and written episodes. Most notably, Joe Menosky is co-creator as of season two. He wrote some of the best TNG episodes (Darmok) and almost every good episode of Voyager. So if The Orville comes of as very Trek-ish, it's intentional and also an inevitable byproduct of the people making it.

MacFarlane also had the pick of the Family Guy writers, a lot of scripts came from them. And some of them are outstanding. Alara's visit home is one of the very best of the series, and Cherry Chevapravatdumrong was a FG writer and producer.

e. ignore the pilot and second episode, they aren't good and existed only to sell the show to Fox.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The Orville is McFarlane wanting to make a new trek, but having to disguise it as a comedy because TV networks are terrible.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If wants to make decent Star Trek so much he should keep his ugly mug off camera.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I think Orville came about because they were making Discovery without him. So he said "Well I'll just make my own Trek, then you'll all see!" And now we have two bad Treks running simultaneously.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Elfface posted:

The Orville is McFarlane wanting to make a new trek, but having to disguise it as a comedy because TV networks are terrible.

Later S1 and all of S2 got to dial it back on the comedy stuff, which helped the pacing. It still has more comic relief than a Trek show, which feels way more natural than TNG ever did, that show was pretty stuffy a lot of the time.

S2 had so many good episodes. The big two-parter around the end of the season was so drat good.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Later S1 and all of S2 got to dial it back on the comedy stuff, which helped the pacing. It still has more comic relief than a Trek show, which feels way more natural than TNG ever did, that show was pretty stuffy a lot of the time.

S2 had so many good episodes. The big two-parter around the end of the season was so drat good.

Basically, Season 1 episode 8 and then season 2 is almost pure wonderfulness.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Trek's always had a fair amount of comic relief to more or less extents. Deep Space Nine probably the most, while Voyager... tried.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

mllaneza posted:

So if The Orville comes of as very Trek-ish, it's intentional and also an inevitable byproduct of the people making it...Alara's visit home is one of the very best of the series...
One of the Alara episodes (I think that one) featured the doctor from Voyager getting ambushed by the doctor from Enterprise.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Blue Moonlight posted:

One of the Alara episodes (I think that one) featured the doctor from Voyager getting ambushed by the doctor from Enterprise.

Yep, S2e3.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There’s a really harsh interview with I think Ronald D Moore where he explains that one day they were trying to write an episode about Geordie’s mom and they realized it was probably time to end the show because who cares about Geordie’s mom?

I don’t think that one is that bad but I only saw it once 15 years ago, so maybe it was.

It's not too bad of an episode. The part's actually dealing with Geordie's mom are alright. The rest of the episode isn't great. The shame is that they had a great element about Geordie being in denial that his mom had just died offscreen in her own Star Trek adventure, but they mostly leave it unexplored. It has an oddly somber ending for Star Trek though. I remember The Greatest Generation podcast making a fair point that it said more about the writer's room that they thought it was a terrible idea, because exploring a character's family or past and dealing with grief should be fertile enough ground. It was more a sign that they were just sick of writing about these characters.

The other funny story I remember was the explanation for how they ended up doing the "everyone's a little kid" episode. It was somebody's pet pitch that was successfully shoved into the stack of emergency script ideas that sat on top of the cabinet. They got low enough on workable ideas that they had to choose between an episode about Data's cat or the magic de-aging plot. They picked wrong.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How could an episode about the cat not instantly seem the better choice? Did it get powers or something?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's not too bad of an episode. The part's actually dealing with Geordie's mom are alright. The rest of the episode isn't great. The shame is that they had a great element about Geordie being in denial that his mom had just died offscreen in her own Star Trek adventure, but they mostly leave it unexplored. It has an oddly somber ending for Star Trek though. I remember The Greatest Generation podcast making a fair point that it said more about the writer's room that they thought it was a terrible idea, because exploring a character's family or past and dealing with grief should be fertile enough ground. It was more a sign that they were just sick of writing about these characters.

The other funny story I remember was the explanation for how they ended up doing the "everyone's a little kid" episode. It was somebody's pet pitch that was successfully shoved into the stack of emergency script ideas that sat on top of the cabinet. They got low enough on workable ideas that they had to choose between an episode about Data's cat or the magic de-aging plot. They picked wrong.

I liked the one where Picard is stuck in an elevator with three small children, and he makes them temporary crew members to help them cope with the situation by giving them his own pips. :3:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

How could an episode about the cat not instantly seem the better choice? Did it get powers or something?

That made a better comic. My Human Is Not.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It seems like if would be easy and fun to, like, have the cat wander the ship and see people living out a regular space day behind the scenes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It seems like if would be easy and fun to, like, have the cat wander the ship and see people living out a regular space day behind the scenes.

That's just a space version of I Am A Cat, isn't it?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yes.

I'm being vague because there are spoilers for someone who might yet enjoy the show. Anyone who liked TNG should be really comfortable with The Orville..

The same writer also did the S1 episode about Alara confronting her fears. That was also an excellent episode. I'll admit, I expected less from a Family Guy writer, but Cherry has pleasantly surprised me twice.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Orville is a bit uneven but good overall. Like someone else said it's nice to see a mainstream optimistic sci-fi show on TV again.

One thing to keep in mind is that, because of the way TV seasons are compressed now, after two seasons The Orville only has as many episodes as TNG's first season alone. So there's a double edge sword where the writers have to jump into big themes and rapidly moving storylines at the expense of being able to let the characters breathe and develop, which takes a lot longer now.

Laterite has a new favorite as of 09:22 on Nov 11, 2019

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“There is an alligator in the cargo bay, I have successfully crushed it with a chair.” Is my favorite absurd line delivered with 100% sincerity in modern television. Bortus is a treat.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
just waiting for his garage full of cp to be revealed, and then the world can finally be free of Family Guy

hitting 20 years with that piece of crap

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

grittyreboot posted:

The little I've seen of it wasn't as bad as the worst of TNG, but it also can't reach those highs either. Sure, you got a lot of the creative's from TNG but they only had enough good ideas for 4 episodes out of 7 seasons.

Fixed that for you.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Seth McFarlane is loving garbage. You could replace every one of his shows with a guy singing about how gross gay people are in a big booming show tune voice and nobody would notice. I can't fuckin believe there's this many of you dipshits with nothing better to do than watch multiple seasons of his poo poo so you can tell everyone how it gets a little bit better in season 2 or whatever.

This rear end in a top hat has like 5 shows because apparently people are happy to just sit through absolute trash to see if it improves slightly after the first hundred episodes.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I can understand someone’s aversion to Seth McFarland, but the Orville isn’t Family Guy or even Oscar opening song terrible. McFarland’s not even the main character is most of the episodes which helps a lot.

A lot of it is also helped by the fact that he's very toned down. I think that, with the exception of The Cleveland Show, the key to not having super dumb Seth is to keep him as far away from Rhode Island and southern MA as possible.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
The Macfarlane hate boner is strong no doubt, but Orville is seriously loving good.

I'm sorry you miserable people watched so much Family Guy

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

This forum is the only place I've ever seen people talk positively about the Orville. Everywhere else it's just "that show where Rob Lowe being a date rapist saves the world".

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

purple death ray posted:

Seth McFarlane is loving garbage. You could replace every one of his shows with a guy singing about how gross gay people are in a big booming show tune voice and nobody would notice. I can't fuckin believe there's this many of you dipshits with nothing better to do than watch multiple seasons of his poo poo so you can tell everyone how it gets a little bit better in season 2 or whatever.

This rear end in a top hat has like 5 shows because apparently people are happy to just sit through absolute trash to see if it improves slightly after the first hundred episodes.

I don't disagree but I'm conflicted because American Dad! is really really good.

Not coincidentally perhaps it seems to be the one he has by far the least input in

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

purple death ray posted:

hey now he also really weirdly is obsessed with hating Asian people.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Trek's always had a fair amount of comic relief to more or less extents. Deep Space Nine probably the most, while Voyager... tried.

The funniest joke in Voyager is when Tuvok has a weird daydream about killing Neelix, but I guess it wasn't supposed to be a joke? Idk, made me laugh. :3:

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

purple death ray posted:

I watched the Orville because a friend wanted to and went into it with this exact mindset and I ended up loving it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

gettin real angry at other people’s tv watching habits and posting about it - the sign of a stable individual with a valuable opinion to consider

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Does Seth even do anything for FG besides voices now?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think he's still pretty involved in Family Guy. American Dad is pretty much his VA paycheck show, though they moved to like TBS or something now and can have some of the lighter swears.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nope, hasn't for a long time.

*Edit* Guess it was just America Dad I was thinking of.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i didn't like the orville because it's obvious that anything it has of merit is just diligently regurgitated trek, full stop; seth's major contribution to the show were his dick jokes and they were so bad that he promised to dial back the humor for the next season and stick to being an off-brand star trek that technically doesn't have to pay royalties despite the debt it owes

it's like a parody where the parody itself fails abjectly hard but people still like it for the property it's aping, it'd be like if space balls failed in every way but still managed to get a following because there's just enough star wars in its dna to give starving fans a nostalgia fix

it's funny that seth originally came to prominence in family guy with his reference jokes to old movies and tv shows, and now making star trek references full time is the next big phase of his hack career, not to mention that family guy was cancelled/resurrected because there happened to be nothing better on so family guy was the ready alternative and now the orville is moving on because the other treks went in a different creative direction, fell on their faces, and have left the orville as the last alternative

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

hard counter posted:

i didn't like the orville because it's obvious that anything it has of merit is just diligently regurgitated trek, full stop; seth's major contribution to the show were his dick jokes and they were so bad that he promised to dial back the humor for the next season and stick to being an off-brand star trek that technically doesn't have to pay royalties despite the debt it owes

it's like a parody where the parody itself fails abjectly hard but people still like it for the property it's aping, it'd be like if space balls failed in every way but still managed to get a following because there's just enough star wars in its dna to give starving fans a nostalgia fix

it's funny that seth originally came to prominence in family guy with his reference jokes to old movies and tv shows, and now making star trek references full time is the next big phase of his hack career, not to mention that family guy was cancelled/resurrected because there happened to be nothing better on so family guy was the ready alternative and now the orville is moving on because the other treks went in a different creative direction, fell on their faces, and have left the orville as the last alternative

Honestly the reasons you're saying its bad are the reasons I like it. I don't like it as a comedy but I like it as a show that has "just enough Trek in its DNA". I was never able to get into Star Trek in any of its iterations because I just thought it was stupid, but The Orville is just silly and self aware enough that I don't feel embarrassed for everyone on set while watching it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Forums poster ‘garfield hentai’ got way too embarrassed for all those well paid actors playing characters on the popular and well known sci-fi shows. Thankfully the Orville did Star Trek but with dick and date rape jokes making it just cool enough for his edgy Chad self.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i haven't seen the orville but "star trek for people who can only enjoy things ironically" makes a lot of sense

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've only seen the pilot of The Orville and a random episode sometime later and it was enough to know I don't care to see any more of it

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It seems like it would be shorter to say "Family Guy sucks" and not "everything Seth MacFarlane does sucks, except American Dad, and The Orville, and..."

The hatred is 99% due to Family Guy, which devolved into mean-spirited edgelord stuff pretty close to when he checked out of it. Well, aside from all the voices he does. He's hardly a paragon of activism, I just think it's worth noting that the worst of it is pretty much confined to late-period FG which is not exactly his passion project.

I suppose people aren't big fans of his movies either, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

hard counter posted:

space balls failed in every way but still managed to get a following because there's just enough star wars in its dna to give starving fans a nostalgia fix

Good and correct post