Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

See, at this point the people forced to take public transit really will be the inferiors of everyone else, though?

only in driving ability, which doesn't define the person.

my grandma is a wonderful person but god drat for the last few years before she gave up driving it was absolutely terrifying to be in the car with her.

i know another woman who's very smart and competent in day to day life but her driving has made multiple people i know carsick to the point of vomiting.

some people just aren't able to drive and that's fine. only in america is it treated as some sort of human right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

only in driving ability, which doesn't define the person.

my grandma is a wonderful person but god drat for the last few years before she gave up driving it was absolutely terrifying to be in the car with her.

i know another woman who's very smart and competent in day to day life but her driving has made multiple people i know carsick to the point of vomiting.

some people just aren't able to drive and that's fine. only in america is it treated as some sort of human right

in america it’s a human necessity

animist
Aug 28, 2018
unrelated: https://talktotransformer.com is kinda incredible

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

animist posted:

unrelated: https://talktotransformer.com is kinda incredible

i've been having fun with it, but the earlier stories where they said it was too dangerous to release definitely seem overblown and silly

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ben_golub/status/1192499354021572609

Sagebrush posted:

The most dangerous drivers by far are the 80+ crowd, and we're about to get a whole lot of them. poo poo's going to hit the fan (and pedestrians).

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/ben_golub/status/1192499354021572609

The most dangerous drivers by far are the 80+ crowd, and we're about to get a whole lot of them. poo poo's going to hit the fan (and pedestrians).

when these drivers hit 88+ you're going to see some serious poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

akadajet posted:

when these drivers hit 88+ you're going to see some serious poo poo

great scott!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

For real though anyone doing research in ML or machine vision should stop. The downsides of these technologies significantly outweigh the benefits.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fart simpson posted:

in america it’s a human necessity

it didn't use to be

we can turn back the clock on this one

it's not like operating bus routes is some forgotten technology, impossible to replicate in the modern age

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

my grandfather was literally blind several years before he gave up driving. his corrected vision was well past 20/400

and he would still drive during daylight. because it's what everyone else in his condo building did.

peer pressure is a hell of a thing, even in your 80s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I often speak to older people who drive but only when the conditions are perfect and only around the neighbourhood, like not into CBD, and not around 9 or 3 or 5 lol

maybe you just shouldn’t drive at all. this one dude I have in mind has a single beer once a week at the pub and drives home and I’m
sure he’s under the limit but also what does that mean to a 92 year old he’s probably hosed off his face with a single beer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

I often speak to older people who drive but only when the conditions are perfect and only around the neighbourhood, like not into CBD, and not around 9 or 3 or 5 lol

maybe you just shouldn’t drive at all. this one dude I have in mind has a single beer once a week at the pub and drives home and I’m
sure he’s under the limit but also what does that mean to a 92 year old he’s probably hosed off his face with a single beer

everyone is hosed off their face with a single beer, as far as driving performance goes

the only sane limit is detectable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the pernicious thing about alcohol's effect on reflexes and response is that it is not noticeable to the user

the reason that police do things like test your horizontal gauge nystagmus is that it is not dependent on your tolerance to alcohol. it is an objective measure of your impairment.

if an ordinary jackass cop can notice a problem with horizontal gauge nystagmus at a field sobriety test, you are not just drunk, you are hosed off your kettle, as far as your ability to drive. you might very well feel just fine, but you are objectively totally hosed.

people who drink a lot, actual fuckin alcoholics, or people who are very old, often have no visible symptoms of drunkenness. but as far as driving is concerned, they are just as unable to react quickly as someone in the peak of health

tl;dr: don't drink and drive. like, not even a little. if you plan to have one drink at an occasion, call a loving cab. it's the right thing to do, whether or not your local laws allow otherwise.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the black and white model of intoxication

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the difference between skilled/experienced drinkers and amateurs is the ability to focus and concentrate. amateurs get distracted their hosed mind where pros can concentrate hard enough to survive

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the bac limit is 0.2 ‰ here, how many states still has 0.8 ‰ ? that limit really is legalized drunk driving

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

the difference between skilled/experienced drinkers and amateurs is the ability to focus and concentrate. amateurs get distracted their hosed mind where pros can concentrate hard enough to survive

I'm not sure you want to fight on this hill

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it didn't use to be

we can turn back the clock on this one

it's not like operating bus routes is some forgotten technology, impossible to replicate in the modern age

it very well may be impossible to replicate in the modern american political environment

Cosa Nostra Aetate
Jan 1, 2019

Tankakern posted:

the bac limit is 0.2 ‰ here, how many states still has 0.8 ‰ ? that limit really is legalized drunk driving

It's 0.08 just about everywhere in the US, except for <21 and truckers.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Tankakern posted:

0.08 op

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

the black and white model of intoxication

i mean intoxication varies pretty widely but alcohol's effect on your ability to specifically drive is extremely rapid and happens at rather low doses

i am not saying that a detectable bac should be a basis for public drunkeness charges or something

just, don't fuckin drive after having a beer

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

we live in the unicode future these days op

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

I didnt wanna press another key op

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i take it you guys don't use permille that often? maybe that's a scandinavian thing, to say 0.2 permille / ‰ instead of 0.02 %. this is only when talking about bac though, its the only time it's used. makes it kinda unambiguous what you're talking about.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's unambiguous in america too bc nobody in america uses permille. oh look at me using a fancy different unit that looks almost the same as one 10x larger instead of just adding a zero to the figure. this won't be confusing. like if you had millimeters and rnillimeters (100 microns), abbreviated mm and rnm

0.8% blood alcohol would kill you anyway so if that's the value you think you're talking about you know it's wrong

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 12, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
every day I try and I continue to aim for that glorious death concentration

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

0.8% blood alcohol would kill you anyway so if that's the value you think you're talking about you know it's wrong

hey now that depends on who we're talking about

there are people on record who have survived over 1% bac. alcoholism is a hell of a thing

(of course, they are mostly on record because they crashed a motor vehicle)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Of course, that means there are probably more people who hit that regularly but don't try to drive, and so haven't had any reason to get their bac tested.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jabor posted:

Of course, that means there are probably more people who hit that regularly but don't try to drive, and so haven't had any reason to get their bac tested.

yes, this. congratulations on your reading comprehension

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes, this. congratulations on your reading comprehension

thanks! i recently passed third grade so it's good to have validation

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jabor posted:

thanks! i recently passed third grade so it's good to have validation

reading between the lines is an intense level of skill for an eight year old

watch out, they're gonna put you on a weird, nationally televised game show

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I dont appreciate the shade being thrown

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

power botton posted:

I dont appreciate the shade being thrown

fishmech you aren't

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
reading between the lines is dogwhistle for some of the symptoms of schizophrenia

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

it's unambiguous in america too bc nobody in america uses permille. oh look at me using a fancy different unit that looks almost the same as one 10x larger instead of just adding a zero to the figure. this won't be confusing. like if you had millimeters and rnillimeters (100 microns), abbreviated mm and rnm

using the fancy symbol is literally adding a zero to it

i use permille in any context all the time because saying .4 percent is crazy, just say 4 permille.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

echinopsis posted:

reading between the lines is dogwhistle for some of the symptoms of schizophrenia

lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
too high a risk of Verizon Math

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that's will happen anyway. stupid gonna stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
you're gonna die suddenly and violently anyway, so it ultimately doesn't matter if it's at the hands of a guy who had a sip of beer 30 minutes ago before driving, or by an idiot neural net programmed by a guy who skimmed a deep learning tutorial a day before the deadline that doesn't understand the concept of "things moving in both space and time"