Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Hold on, now you're saying that you didn't like the rest of the game, either?

they've been mad about it for several days now, the ending is just retroactive justification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Blattdorf posted:

I'm going to blow your mind within the next three seconds. I M. Yu.

Where's the "I" come from in that? Or is this the joke, poking fun at retroactive acronyms and the fanbases who gasp at straws to make them?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You're really grasping if you think that wasn't intentional considering the cook spends the whole game explicitly addressing you as "M YU" just in case the player missed it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Right, so where's the "I" from?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A human brain.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah fine but it's some dumb numerology poo poo

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm ashamed to admit that when I was younger, I played SS2 with the ini file hack to make enemies not respawn. I remember looking down a hallway and seeing the "zombies" constantly respawn in a flash of light I wasn't supposed to see and saying screw this. So I avoided this game because I thought I wouldn't like that formula. Thank you, MS Game Pass, for letting me try this for $1, because I am hooked! I feel like I'm almost done (just did a cool thing at a power plant) and I don't want it to end.

I wish I could go back and replay the opening moments. The learning curve was steep; I blew so many medkits because I was wildly swinging the mouse at Mimics, and wasted so much 9mm ammo on emptying my gun into Phantoms. Thankfully the game is very forgiving with resources; even though I ran out of health stuffs and ammo at points, I knew more was around the corner.

I could be wrong, but enemy respawns only happen after key story parts, right? I've seen a Mimic or two pop up in places I know I've cleared when I'm just scavenging, but I don't think it's like SS2 where enemies literally respawn out of thin air because the game doesn't think you're looking in a particular direction, and I also don't think that going through a loading zone door resets a location.

Now I'm walking around unloading one-two punches of Kinetic Blast + fully upgraded shotgun into harder enemies and it's quite different from left clicking the wrench.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yes I believe enemies only spawn into areas after certain events, so you'll never be walking around in Crew Quarters and suddenly encounter a new thing that wasn't there before unless you do something specific

I also really appreciate the game having a pair of Nightmare triggers that you can use whenever, to either spawn one in or despawn one if that's just not your thing

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Spins the chair around and sits in it because I’m gonna blow some minds:

Danielle Sho.
Dan Sho
ShoDan

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
poo poo you guys the code to your door is 0451

I also thought the ending blew, not because it wasn't foreshadowed, but because I figured the entire thing out as soon as I heard that heavy-handed mirror neurons audio log in psychotronics, and it made every other plot development completely meaningless to me because I knew none of it would matter, and it turned the entire plot into a pointless preamble for a sequel that'll never happen.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the entire point of the game is that it did matter after all lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i liked the tech and the kosmonaut aesthetic but honestly i don't care that much if we get a sequel. it's arkane's masterwork level design and dedication to 0451 ethos, that actually matter, whatever ip they're attached to.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 10, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

flatluigi posted:

Sure doesn't. If Typhon me is unempathetic then Alex just deletes my memory and runs the experiment again until he gets me to the actual ending where I behave with empathy. The only actual choice in the game is whether I actually learned empathy and shake his hand or whether I was just faking it and stab him, and a single choice in hours and hours of dialogue I already know is meaningless does not a compelling narrative make.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Did you actually, like... play the game?

Although now that i think about it, making both the player avatar AND Alex extensions of how the player interacts with the game makes for an interesting inherent contradiction of motives in the ending.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

flatluigi posted:

How did it matter?

Maybe if they had committed and made you kill/shake based on your actions. But no, literally the only difference in the "real world" is the choice you make after the simulation ends.

I always find it frustrating when people try to explain endings or plot beats as though the knowledge there's foreshadowing or meaning behind them erases how a person actually feels about it. Or that a person can't "get it" and also dislike it. The ending was deflating for me. I thought they were trying to recreate Morgan and the simulation was them testing if their reprogramming or cloning or whatever was successful. And still the reveal that you were some random typhon and they were using the simulation just as a test of empathy drained all my enthusiasm for the story. It just deletes everything you did. Who you saved or killed. Whether you blew it all up or just the typhon. None of it mattered because none of it was real and none of it had consequence. It's kinda amazing to me that they set up the perfect scenario to have a binary morality system make sense and then just threw it away. In Dishonored I change the way a little girl locked up in a building somewhere will eventually rule based on how many guards I merk, but they make it a choice in Prey? The only way to make the simulation matter and they don't even use it. Everyone judging your actions is just like maybe yes maybe no I dunno possibly who can say and then you pick from 2 choices. So weak. Dishonored doesn't need the binary morality because my actions are "real" and thus will have consequences even if the game doesn't explicitly spell them out. I can imagine the consequences myself. In Prey they literally wipe out all your actions if they don't add an explicit consequence.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
ShoDan, guys. Like from System Shock??? Anyone here a gamer?

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011
I really love the way this game starts you off totally in the dark and vulnerable and then you work your way up through the mid game to have more resources and more of a sense of what you’re doing, if only it could properly carry that through to the end

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Phigs posted:

How did it matter?

Maybe if they had committed and made you kill/shake based on your actions. But no, literally the only difference in the "real world" is the choice you make after the simulation ends.

I always find it frustrating when people try to explain endings or plot beats as though the knowledge there's foreshadowing or meaning behind them erases how a person actually feels about it. Or that a person can't "get it" and also dislike it. The ending was deflating for me. I thought they were trying to recreate Morgan and the simulation was them testing if their reprogramming or cloning or whatever was successful. And still the reveal that you were some random typhon and they were using the simulation just as a test of empathy drained all my enthusiasm for the story. It just deletes everything you did. Who you saved or killed. Whether you blew it all up or just the typhon. None of it mattered because none of it was real and none of it had consequence. It's kinda amazing to me that they set up the perfect scenario to have a binary morality system make sense and then just threw it away. In Dishonored I change the way a little girl locked up in a building somewhere will eventually rule based on how many guards I merk, but they make it a choice in Prey? The only way to make the simulation matter and they don't even use it. Everyone judging your actions is just like maybe yes maybe no I dunno possibly who can say and then you pick from 2 choices. So weak. Dishonored doesn't need the binary morality because my actions are "real" and thus will have consequences even if the game doesn't explicitly spell them out. I can imagine the consequences myself. In Prey they literally wipe out all your actions if they don't add an explicit consequence.

Exactly. None of it mattered at all. You care about all these people you're saving, you connect with them and learn their stories. Icarefully assemble all the evidence of Transtar's horrific poo poo, throw the evidence drive onto the shuttle and stay on the station so I'm blown to pieces along with Alex and the rest of this poo poo and... then none of it matters. Humanity's all dead. No point bringing down Transtar because well... None of the people you were interacting with were real. The only thing left is to make sure the last living mass murderer is killed but that's not even what the gently caress the story was leading towards.

Then you want me to play a DLC where you go through more simulations of events long in the past, lmao.

The gameplay turned out to be fine in the middle when you were not getting your rear end kicked every single second and when you werent just swatting just swarms of annoying enemies with your overpowered abilities. But the framing of things is very important to how I enjoy a game. I'm already playing a game, dont go spoiling the moment by reminding me of that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
every videogame is a simulation

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Very few games want you to think of them as meaningless simulations when you play them though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
good thing this one doesn't!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Yeah man, I felt the same way about Mario bros. because I spent all that time playing it and making meaningful choices wiht tangible consequences only for none of it to mater because it turns out it was a video game the whole time. It's like beating any of the castle levels and they just keep saying "sorry the princess is in another castle" and I'm thinking "what the gently caress u saying? why you waste my time?" and then you beat the last castle and save the princess and then the game ends and it's like "oh poo poo, i saved marios princess but my princess is still missing" and there aint no way to rescue my princess because I don't know no fuckin princesses man.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Point is when someone says "It being an unconnected simulation makes it less enjoyable to me." Saying "All games are simulations" is not helpful because games are trying to make themselves not feel like simulations. Games try to make your actions feel meaningful even though they can never be because they're just video games. They do that by making them meaningful within the context of the video game and then have you suspend your disbelief. Prey, IMO, fails to do this because there is no consequence within the game world to all of your actions before you make the final choice. Even games infamous for ending choices feeling like they disregard everything you did before like Mass Effect 3 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution still had things you did along the way be things that actually happened in the game world and thus carrying some kind of consequence even if it's not spelled out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Then you want me to play a DLC where you go through more simulations of events long in the past, lmao.

That’s a dumb reason to miss out on a fantastic game. But given you weren't too hot about the main game's gameplay, Mooncrash might not have been to your liking anyway.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Bogart posted:

ShoDan, guys. Like from System Shock??? Anyone here a gamer?

(crickets)

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

do you mean BioShock??

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I just got the Psychoscope in my Nightmare/Survival Typhon Only run. So far, things are way more brutal than I expected.

The lobby is loving crawling with purple mimics and phantoms, which I don't remember happening so early in the game. All my weapons suck, and I can't make them better because even if I spend upgrade kits on them, I'll lose the kits when they break and become effectively useless -- which is inevitable, since I can't repair them, because that's a human ability.

The cruelest thing Arkane has done here is put the psi capacity upgrades in the human tree rather than the typhon tree, because this means I'm limited to 100 psi -- enough for two castings of Kinetic Burst with a bit left over -- unless I can find something for my scope that increases my psi pool. This will become less of an issue once I have the psi hypo fab plan and psi water, but is still going to be pretty rough for someone used to rolling around with 250+ psi. The lack of health is probably also going to make itself felt.

I'm also having a rough time getting used to the idea that I'll never be able to get into any of those safes that require hacking. It's a same that Machine Mind can't be used to hack things the way Remote Circuity Manipulation did in SS2.

I did at least just get Kinetic Blast II, so I have some capacity to actually fight things.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I keep sort of lazily rolling over the arguments of the ending and thinking "hey, all video games aren't real" and the fact that people are as divided and passionate about the ending's implications just means that it was a fantastic game.

Its also the only one I started playing again right away. I'm in NG+ and while it strips away a lot of from a first time play through, because of course it does, even after dumping over 30 hours in my first time around, there's still enough side quests for me to complete that I didn't through my first play through and its practically like a whole new game (aside from the fact that I've almost maxed out everything and can take down a nightmare easily. What a great game. Dang.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The ending sucks, but only because it boils an entire game of decisions to one choice. It starts out great and then it turns into fallout 4 right at the end.

My hot take: the DLC is better than the main game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked the game a lot, but I liked Mooncrash even better because of the frantic running around due to the time limit and the randomized obstacles creating a good "what the gently caress is it this time" when you turn around a corner and see something you hadn't planned for.

I liked Void Bastards a lot for a similar reason.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Phigs posted:

Very few games want you to think of them as meaningless simulations when you play them though.

So you're saying Mario Bros 3 was the worst game in the franchise

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

I just got the Psychoscope in my Nightmare/Survival Typhon Only run. So far, things are way more brutal than I expected.

The lobby is loving crawling with purple mimics and phantoms, which I don't remember happening so early in the game. All my weapons suck, and I can't make them better because even if I spend upgrade kits on them, I'll lose the kits when they break and become effectively useless -- which is inevitable, since I can't repair them, because that's a human ability.

The cruelest thing Arkane has done here is put the psi capacity upgrades in the human tree rather than the typhon tree, because this means I'm limited to 100 psi -- enough for two castings of Kinetic Burst with a bit left over -- unless I can find something for my scope that increases my psi pool. This will become less of an issue once I have the psi hypo fab plan and psi water, but is still going to be pretty rough for someone used to rolling around with 250+ psi. The lack of health is probably also going to make itself felt.

I'm also having a rough time getting used to the idea that I'll never be able to get into any of those safes that require hacking. It's a same that Machine Mind can't be used to hack things the way Remote Circuity Manipulation did in SS2.

I did at least just get Kinetic Blast II, so I have some capacity to actually fight things.

When I did a typhon-only survival run I decided to try and go as sneaky as possible, for those reasons. You miss out on a ton of crucial abilities by not having access to the human stuff, so the easiest thing to do is to save those psi hypos and any psi-restoring food for the situations where you really need them, and just try to avoid combat otherwise. Definitely still upgrade weapons whenever you find a weapon kit, yeah you won't be able to repair them but it's not like you have something better to do when you find a random weapon kit (I guess you could turn them into bullets but again, you should be avoiding combat if you can)

Definitely don't try to clear entire areas. Efficiency is the name of the game, and clearing out entire areas just to pick up some extra banana peels is inefficient

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mike the TV posted:

The ending sucks, but only because it boils an entire game of decisions to one choice. It starts out great and then it turns into fallout 4 right at the end.

Seems more like it boils down to Half-Life; your decisions in the game mattered in the sense that you were playing a character in a world where those decisions mattered, and the decision in the epilogue doesn't effect any of that stuff that you you did during the game; you still made the choices you made and they probably had some effect on you, the player, and the developers are basically asking you why you behaved the way that you did. Thus the epilogue's decision really only matters to whatever you imagine comes after that

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Well, it also could be taken to matter in the sense that if Alex can't get a Typhon to empathise, ie if you play like a complete monster, then humanity really is irretrievably hosed.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

When I did a typhon-only survival run I decided to try and go as sneaky as possible, for those reasons. You miss out on a ton of crucial abilities by not having access to the human stuff, so the easiest thing to do is to save those psi hypos and any psi-restoring food for the situations where you really need them, and just try to avoid combat otherwise. Definitely still upgrade weapons whenever you find a weapon kit, yeah you won't be able to repair them but it's not like you have something better to do when you find a random weapon kit (I guess you could turn them into bullets but again, you should be avoiding combat if you can)

Definitely don't try to clear entire areas. Efficiency is the name of the game, and clearing out entire areas just to pick up some extra banana peels is inefficient

Yeah, it just seems like a waste to use weapon upgrade kits on something you found on the floor that's already at 15% durability and will probably break soon; I figure I'll start using them once I have fab plans and can make weapons in pristine condition that will actually last for more than a few shots. And yeah, I'm relying very heavily on stealth.

My current plan, now that I have the psychoscope, is actually to backtrack to the lobby and scan the stuff there to unlock some new abilities, and maybe start "The Corpse Vanishes" if I'm feeling particularly spicy, before moving on to Psychotronics level 2/3 and the GUTS.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Mike the TV posted:

My hot take: the DLC is better than the main game.

Not exactly. If you listen to the other operators talk, they go over your actions, but they say that they don't REALLY know why you made the choices you did. The final choice is you either taking Alex's hand and affirming that they were right about why you made the choices, or attacking, and saying that either they got the choices wrong, and the empathy training didn't stick, or you feel betrayed by the deception.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I honestly feel like anyone who finishes Prey and comes away thinking "And in the end, nothing you did matters" is either a fullbore sociopath IRL or just lacks extremely basic reading comprehension.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
When I first beat Prey I wasn't sure how I felt about the ending, it was obviously more than just "it was all a dream" but it still felt like a let down. It wasn't a surprise, as others have said it was heavily hinted at. I've warmed up to it over time, and it seems like a lead into a (sadly canned) sequel. "It was just a simulation" is very different from "It was a simulation because we already lost and are desperately trying to find a solution".

Even with my immediate mild disappointment at the ending, Prey still stood out to me as one of the best games in recent years. Having just beaten it again on the hardest settings it has most certainly stood up over the second playthrough, hell I might have enjoyed it even more since I went straight to infinite neuromod manufacturing.

Mooncrash is seriously phenomenal as well, I'm going to have to do a full clear of it soon. It takes the already great gameplay from Prey but replaces most of the plot with neat roguelite mechanics. Learning the layout of the map and how to properly exploit it for a full cast clear is incredibly enjoyable. It'll undoubtedly go on sale near Thanksgiving and Christmas and should be an instabuy for anyone who enjoyed the base game.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
The ending of Prey (Arkane Studios, 2017) was both cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Imagine being so tiny-brained that you avoid all of the good DLC gameplay because you didn't like one 10 second cutscene lol