Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tubgoat posted:

He's literally running on "replace all social welfare programs with a free $1000 extra per citizen to landlords."

LoL no he isn’t you clown boi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
what a dumb game that was

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rinkles posted:

I'm assuming this is all of the Oko v Oko matchups

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ilmucche posted:

I'm assuming this is all of the Oko v Oko matchups

yes, but this latest game has had actual back and forths.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL no he isn’t you clown boi

A UBI without controls on the prices of basic needs (rent, food, healthcare, etc) is essentially a giveaway to the rent-seeking class and profiteers. Dismantling the social safety net on top of that just leaves people more impoverished. Yang's policies aren't just dumb, they're dangerous and predatory hiding under the guise of Silicon Valley-esque disruption and efficiency building.

Yang should be a joke but people still believe that businessmen are somehow uniquely equipped to run government. On top of that a pretty big chunk of his supporters are white supremacists, incels, mgtow, and libertarians. He would be funny if it wasn't such a loving threat.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
PVDDR showing yet again how tough it is to get to 3 PT wins, a feat only accomplished by:
  • Kai Budde
  • John Finkel
  • Dirk Kaisteammate

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mat Cauthon posted:

A UBI without controls on the prices of basic needs (rent, food, healthcare, etc) is essentially a giveaway to the rent-seeking class and profiteers.

Rent Seekers and landlords aren't one and the same. Agreed that Yang's policies are foolish for a lot of reasons, but that is an important distinction that I really hope you study on before you continue bandying terms around.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

PVDDR showing yet again how tough it is to get to 3 PT wins, a feat only accomplished by:
  • Kai Budde
  • John Finkel
  • Dirk Kaisteammate

I googled that last name and got "Naked Stud Gets Shared Between Horny Crowd and stuffed andy ..." That must have been one hell of a Top 8.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
How many hours of the top 8 broadcast were Oko mirrors?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Boco_T posted:

How many hours of the top 8 broadcast were Oko mirrors?

The adventure decks got knocked out first round iirc. Semi finals had a sultai food in the mix and finals were simic food mirrors with the only difference being some sideboard stuff, the # of aether gusts and maybe mass manipulation.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Honestly, the semis/finals were a good watch (when they were actual games and not run aways) - lots of back and forth, especially finals game 4. PVDDR is always great to watch, that dude is a stone cold competitor. His approach to play in comparison to Stráský was a treat.

Once Oko eats a ban these decks are just switching back exclusively to the Nissa / big mana plan, right?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Dehtraen posted:

Honestly, the semis/finals were a good watch (when they were actual games and not run aways) - lots of back and forth, especially finals game 4. PVDDR is always great to watch, that dude is a stone cold competitor. His approach to play in comparison to Stráský was a treat.

Once Oko eats a ban these decks are just switching back exclusively to the Nissa / big mana plan, right?

Depending on how sure they want to be that they won't have a second bad ban in a row, it might not just be Oko eating the ban. A lot will depend on that.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
they're going to ban just oko and a reworked simic build will continue to be the best deck in the format

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Dehtraen posted:

PVDDR is always great to watch, that dude is a stone cold competitor.

I too love learning how to cheat from a top pro.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

moush posted:

You got something to back this up with?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

moush posted:

All right, I’ll bite, what is this in reference to? I googled the only thing I can find is something on freemagic and a clickbait-y titled video from one of the Youtube Chuds that defends all the rapists/sexual harassers (which I didn’t click because gently caress that guy)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

little munchkin posted:

they're going to ban just oko and a reworked simic build will continue to be the best deck in the format

Sincerely if Oko is the only ban this is a foregone conclusion the deck is still so strong even without Oko.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dehtraen posted:

All right, I’ll bite, what is this in reference to? I googled the only thing I can find is something on freemagic and a clickbait-y titled video from one of the Youtube Chuds that defends all the rapists/sexual harassers (which I didn’t click because gently caress that guy)

Wasn't he the one who moved around a spreading seas so he could cast the spells the way he wanted?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There's a reddit post right now showing him fumbling around with a newly cast Oko, setting a die to 6 and grabbing a token, then setting it to 5 a second later and Elking that same token. I assume thats what they're referring to.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

I don’t know a single Magic player who’s never made a procedural mistake, and I know a lot of Magic players. Not saying anything about the particular case here, but for all the good things we get from video coverage (and there are many!) the tendency of people to call cheating without evidence of ill-intent is staggering.

I judged a streamed tournament once where a player accidentally shuffled their hand into their deck while tutoring. Absent any way to recreate the hand, they just had to continue playing without a hand. Somehow we still had some people in twitch chat enraged I didn’t DQ the player for cheating.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ultiville posted:

I judged a streamed tournament once where a player accidentally shuffled their hand into their deck while tutoring. Absent any way to recreate the hand, they just had to continue playing without a hand. Somehow we still had some people in twitch chat enraged I didn’t DQ the player for cheating.

drat, that's one way to get your Oath targets back into the library.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Without a Krasis ban, Oko getting the hammer does absolutely nothing to stop the G/u supremacy in standard. Nissa is fine on her own, and green would still be strong, but not overwhelmingly as oppressive as it is now.

Hopefully the bans happen, and we don't continue to have a situation like the M19 through M20 seasons where some form of Azorius or Esper was always the dominant deck and everything else was struggling to keep up, with one or two outliers (RDW and blue tempo, mainly).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hellsau posted:

drat, that's one way to get your Oath targets back into the library.

I think the appropriate fix under the current MTR is that your opponent gets to look through your deck, choose as many cards as you had in hand before loving up, and that's now your hand.

Which neatly closes that loophole!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm currently thinking the bans will be Oko, OuaT, and maybe Nissa or something

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

I'm currently thinking the bans will be Oko, OuaT, and maybe Nissa or something

I think they could get away with just Oko and Once upon a Time, but throwing in a third ban seems fine - Krasis, Nissa, or even just Veil of Summer.

Veil is so stupid, drat.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hellsau posted:

I think they could get away with just Oko and Once upon a Time, but throwing in a third ban seems fine - Krasis, Nissa, or even just Veil of Summer.

Veil is so stupid, drat.

It's pretty funny when you look at the incidental buff on Veil compared to all the other color-hosers.

Scry 1
Gain 1 life
Can't be countered
Draw a card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6keZIUJBsQ

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yeah on the other hand

celestial purge
commit
hero's downfall
magmatic sinkhole
autumn's veil

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ungulateman posted:

yeah on the other hand

celestial purge
commit
hero's downfall
magmatic sinkhole
autumn's veil

What?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the kicker on the other cards in the cycle are bad because the baseline card is really good in exchange for only hitting that color's enemy colors.

devout decree is a sorcery speed celestial purge that scries 1 (it doesn't hit enchantments, though, to be fair)
aether gust is basically a modal pick between griptide and memory lapse, which i erroneously described as Commit
noxious grasp is hero's downfall but -1 mana and +1 life
fry is straight up strictly better combust. (magmatic sinkhole is the only card that does 5 to a creature or planeswalker i could find)

veil of summer's baseline card, autumn's veil, was totally unplayable in every format

edit: i tell a lie! reid duke and pvddr played a single copy in their sideboard of kessig titan while it was in standard, in much the same way you would play a single copy of mana tithe in your sideboard during time spiral

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 11, 2019

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
On the other hand, allowing Veil of Summer to replace itself pretty clearly rockets it over the top. Maybe it should've been a scry 1, or cost 2 mana (which is still a discount over the standard +2 mana surcharge for a cantrip)? Maybe it's perfectly fine in the counterfactual where R&D doesn't fluff green in pretty much every other conceivable way?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It should have been modal. Either you draw the card or it ruins every form of interaction for the rest of the turn.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Veil is so stupid, drat.

it quite possibly cost paulo the trophy

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ungulateman posted:

the kicker on the other cards in the cycle are bad because the baseline card is really good in exchange for only hitting that color's enemy colors.

devout decree is a sorcery speed celestial purge that scries 1 (it doesn't hit enchantments, though, to be fair)
aether gust is basically a modal pick between griptide and memory lapse, which i erroneously described as Commit
noxious grasp is hero's downfall but -1 mana and +1 life
fry is straight up strictly better combust. (magmatic sinkhole is the only card that does 5 to a creature or planeswalker i could find)

veil of summer's baseline card, autumn's veil, was totally unplayable in every format

edit: i tell a lie! reid duke and pvddr played a single copy in their sideboard of kessig titan while it was in standard, in much the same way you would play a single copy of mana tithe in your sideboard during time spiral

okay you're bad at card analysis, but you're posting in the magic the gathering thread on something awful and we're all bad at that. here's the deal with veil of summer, compared the autumn's veil:

Autumn:

Spells you control can’t be countered by blue or black spells this turn, and creatures you control can’t be the targets of blue or black spells this turn.

Summer:

Draw a card if an opponent has cast a blue or black spell this turn. Spells you control can’t be countered this turn. You and permanents you control gain hexproof from blue and from black until end of turn.

They cost the exact same. There is no disadvantage with Summer. Ignoring the cantrip, Summer is better in the following ways:

• Spells you control cannot be countered at all, not only just by blue or black spells. Summer stops opposing Pyroblasts.
  • All permanents you control gain protection from blue and black spells, not just creatures
  • Those permanents gain protection from blue and black abilities, not just spells.
  • That protection is hexproof, meaning your own blue or black spells can still target your own things
  • YOU gain protection, meaning you're safe from discard or targeted drain effects or whatever nastiness your opponent is up to

So that is a MASSIVE, TREMENDOUS upgrade over Autumn's Veil. They then tossed a cantrip onto it, so it's very rarely dead and frequently is a massive blowout. Why? Did they not test that poo poo? Did they not realize it's a better hoser than the original Elemental Blasts? It's just a stupid card and I'm glad it's an Uncommon so I don't have to play that poo poo in Pauper.

also your comparison is fuckin' stupid because you listed one hate card and three random effects, like what the gently caress does Commit have to do with Aether Gust? What you should have been comparing was the original cycle of hosers that Autumn's Veil belonged to:

https://scryfall.com/card/m12/11/celestial-purge
https://scryfall.com/card/m12/52/flashfreeze
https://scryfall.com/card/m12/90/deathmark
https://scryfall.com/card/m12/128/combust
https://scryfall.com/card/m12/164/autumns-veil

The ones from M20 are clearly inspired by this cycle, just updated for the, shall we say, planeswalker focused development cycle:

https://scryfall.com/card/m20/13/devout-decree
https://scryfall.com/card/m20/42/aether-gust
https://scryfall.com/card/m20/110/noxious-grasp
https://scryfall.com/card/m20/140/fry
https://scryfall.com/card/m20/198/veil-of-summer

Compared to the M12 set, the white one keeps the same manacost but becomes a sorcery and loses the ability to target enchantments/artifacts/lands i guess which makes for a less lame card since it isn't so drat universal, and in exchange it gets a scry 1. Cool. The blue one keeps the same manacost and becomes a substantially worse counterspell (since instead of just permanently answering a spell they have the option to put it on top if they wish) but in exchange it's a perfectly acceptable two-mana Griptide if you're already getting beaten down, so cool. Noxious Grasp gains a mana over Deathmark, but in exchange gets to hit Planeswalkers, becomes an instant and gains a life, which makes it much better in Standard and kind of unimpressive outside of it since that extra mana is pretty big. Fry should have been able to answer all blue or white planeswalkers the turn they come down and + but lol WotC - it's just a clear upgrade to Combust since there ain't much damage prevention around these days and neither can target a pro-red creature anyway. So...those are all the others. What the gently caress happened that they buffed Veil in five different ways from Autumn to Summer, and then they loving added a cantrip? There's very few cards that are almost good enough, and then if you buffed them in 5 different ways and also added a cantrip to it they wouldn't be insane.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Don't call hexproof "protection" in a game where those words mean different things. Even if the context is clear, don't mix up your words.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Jabor posted:

I think the appropriate fix under the current MTR is that your opponent gets to look through your deck, choose as many cards as you had in hand before loving up, and that's now your hand.

Which neatly closes that loophole!

Yeah, this was a few months before that fix got implemented.

Of course it still won’t always be possible; it might not be possible to reconstruct how many cards were in the hand. (Either because players don’t remember what turn it is, or because someone played some Krasises or the like, or whatever). I think in that case you’d still do the same thing, assuming you rule out cheating.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

okay you're bad at card analysis, but you're posting in the magic the gathering thread on something awful and we're all bad at that. here's the deal with veil of summer, compared the autumn's veil:

Autumn:

Spells you control can’t be countered by blue or black spells this turn, and creatures you control can’t be the targets of blue or black spells this turn.

Summer:

Draw a card if an opponent has cast a blue or black spell this turn. Spells you control can’t be countered this turn. You and permanents you control gain hexproof from blue and from black until end of turn.

They cost the exact same. There is no disadvantage with Summer. Ignoring the cantrip, Summer is better in the following ways:

• Spells you control cannot be countered at all, not only just by blue or black spells. Summer stops opposing Pyroblasts.
  • All permanents you control gain protection from blue and black spells, not just creatures
  • Those permanents gain protection from blue and black abilities, not just spells.
  • That protection is hexproof, meaning your own blue or black spells can still target your own things
  • YOU gain protection, meaning you're safe from discard or targeted drain effects or whatever nastiness your opponent is up to

So that is a MASSIVE, TREMENDOUS upgrade over Autumn's Veil. They then tossed a cantrip onto it, so it's very rarely dead and frequently is a massive blowout. Why? Did they not test that poo poo? Did they not realize it's a better hoser than the original Elemental Blasts? It's just a stupid card and I'm glad it's an Uncommon so I don't have to play that poo poo in Pauper.

also your comparison is fuckin' stupid because you listed one hate card and three random effects, like what the gently caress does Commit have to do with Aether Gust? What you should have been comparing was the original cycle of hosers that Autumn's Veil belonged to:

https://scryfall.com/card/m12/11/celestial-purge
https://scryfall.com/card/m12/52/flashfreeze
https://scryfall.com/card/m12/90/deathmark
https://scryfall.com/card/m12/128/combust
https://scryfall.com/card/m12/164/autumns-veil

The ones from M20 are clearly inspired by this cycle, just updated for the, shall we say, planeswalker focused development cycle:

https://scryfall.com/card/m20/13/devout-decree
https://scryfall.com/card/m20/42/aether-gust
https://scryfall.com/card/m20/110/noxious-grasp
https://scryfall.com/card/m20/140/fry
https://scryfall.com/card/m20/198/veil-of-summer

Compared to the M12 set, the white one keeps the same manacost but becomes a sorcery and loses the ability to target enchantments/artifacts/lands i guess which makes for a less lame card since it isn't so drat universal, and in exchange it gets a scry 1. Cool. The blue one keeps the same manacost and becomes a substantially worse counterspell (since instead of just permanently answering a spell they have the option to put it on top if they wish) but in exchange it's a perfectly acceptable two-mana Griptide if you're already getting beaten down, so cool. Noxious Grasp gains a mana over Deathmark, but in exchange gets to hit Planeswalkers, becomes an instant and gains a life, which makes it much better in Standard and kind of unimpressive outside of it since that extra mana is pretty big. Fry should have been able to answer all blue or white planeswalkers the turn they come down and + but lol WotC - it's just a clear upgrade to Combust since there ain't much damage prevention around these days and neither can target a pro-red creature anyway. So...those are all the others. What the gently caress happened that they buffed Veil in five different ways from Autumn to Summer, and then they loving added a cantrip? There's very few cards that are almost good enough, and then if you buffed them in 5 different ways and also added a cantrip to it they wouldn't be insane.

ok boomer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

bad at card analysis and posting, a winning combination

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

He’s right tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Nothing like putting a lot of effort into a post and encouraging reasonable discussion, only for a low effort fuckwad to post poo poo like this.

Yikes