Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

idk what's wrong with these guys

riding through the poor parts of the city is literally the greatest thing ever

you pop one loving wheelie and everyone and their cousins comes out to get a snapchat video and everyone's cheering and having a good time

This is the most effort ever undertaken to not say the nword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Razzled posted:

idk what's wrong with these guys

They're loving racist, classist, sexist, ageist shitheads is what's wrong with them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

Yeah :yikes:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

right arm posted:

take your white guilt elsewhere, this is atlanta

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Razzled posted:

riding through the poor parts of the city is literally the greatest thing ever

you pop one loving wheelie and everyone and their cousins comes out to get a snapchat video and everyone's cheering and having a good time

Razzled posted:

this is atlanta

Same in Little Rock. I can't wheelie, but my boring old XJ got far more attention from kids and really anybody on the street and at gas stations and the like there than it ever did here in lily white Colorado.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I always wanted to learn how to wheelie but guess there's no point now that I've moved to America's least urban state

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh man, now that I own an old Goldwing and need to look up how to do things I am running into a poo poo ton of advrider-adjacent poo poo on Goldwing forums.

Lots of “this is my bike Janine” and “she treats me well and gives me everything I need :huh:” posts

Just loving say “this is my 19xx Goldwing <displacement>, I find it to be really reliable and enjoy riding it!”

How loving hard is that?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh man, now that I own an old Goldwing and need to look up how to do things I am running into a poo poo ton of advrider-adjacent poo poo on Goldwing forums.

Reading through Goldwing forums has to be the most painful thing ever. Nothing but scores of old guys all shrieking that they’ve been doing “x” for “y” many years and everyone else is full of poo poo.

When I go to hell, Satan’s probably going to give me a choice between modding a forum for old people or NextDoor.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:justpost:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think my brain would die if i came across an advrider-discusses-darksiding thread

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There is perpetually a dark side thread going on there. Just like there is always an abs argument and a countersteering fight. Always has been, always will be. It’s like the reactor core of that place, it would fail if any one of those discussions weren’t in existence.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
The smugness of people that have "discovered" darksiding is just unbelievable. You'd think they found the secret to eternal youth.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kastivich posted:

The smugness of people that have "discovered" darksiding is just unbelievable. You'd think they found the secret to eternal youth.

How do you discover that you're a poo poo rider and feel smug about it??

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had to google darksiding and what the gently caress

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Im not one of those idiots buying motorcycle tires every 8,000 miles. I source my rear tires from a 96 Civic and it lasts 80,000 miles. :smuggo:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone new to Goldwings I can’t imagine going from the ostensibly good handling motorcycle tire to a square car tire. Handling is already sketch as it is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't think these people actually turn their motorcycles. just straight out the garage down the road to the bar, then use the electric reverse all the way home.

ooo, i got an idea. is this thread behind the paywall? how would the advrider crowd react to read it? what are we, in their minds?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lots of “this is my bike Janine” and “she treats me well and gives me everything I need :huh:” posts
Reddit demographics would skew way younger than adv wouldn't they? Because this is a rampant thing on most bike reddits. Which is kind of fascinating/depressing/disgusting.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

ooo, i got an idea. is this thread behind the paywall? how would the advrider crowd react to read it? what are we, in their minds?

Probably a buncha homo Nancy boy smart rear end millennial libs who think their college degrees make them better than everyone else.
Please don’t expose them to this thread, I troll them over there just often enough and they might be able to dox me.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As someone new to Goldwings I can’t imagine going from the ostensibly good handling motorcycle tire to a square car tire. Handling is already sketch as it is.

I rode an aspencade that a buddy was de-converting from having training wheels so it had only the rear car tire on there at the time and it was uhhh, something.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

MomJeans420 posted:

I had to google darksiding and what the gently caress

:stare: THAT'S not gonna work on my enfield. No sir.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Raked Forks: how many degrees of rake in one inch?

quote:

Please keep things simple, no wandering into millirads and seconds of arc and such.

If a bike's forks are raked out 5 degrees, does that mean the front axle has progressed about an inch forward? More, less than an inch? For instance, this Triumph Scrambler hack has DMC's 5 degree raked triple trees--did the front axle move forward more or less an inch from stock?

And how much ground clearance is lost with 5 degrees of rake if stock fork length remains unchanged?

Don't talk to me about that math poo poo, but given c=2r*sin(Θ/2), what is c, and by the way r is theoretical.

edit: also solve for c using Θ1-Θ2, where Θ2=5 and I won't tell you Θ1

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 11, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*engaging psychic geometry calculator*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
f800gs vs f650gs

quote:

Sure the 650 will do fire roads and keep you pussy clean but the 800 will let your dick swing... What type of riding are you going to do... pussy riding or dick swinging!?

yes very helpful thank you

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

televiper posted:

f800gs vs f650gs

yes very helpful thank you

Swingin my dick straight into the mulcher rn.

E: also lol at the idea of a P2 BMW nerdventure being 'dick swinging' by any measure.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
that extra 14hp is what really separates the boys from the men :smug:

*gets stuck on a tree root while a drz400 with panniers chugs by*

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yeah atleast throw up the 850 if you're gonna talk dick swinging, lol

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

yeah atleast throw up the 1290 if you're gonna talk dick swinging, lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aren't the various late model f-bikes just different tunes on the exact same capacity engine so the 'cc' numbers are bullshit anyway?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Aren't the various late model f-bikes just different tunes on the exact same capacity engine so the 'cc' numbers are bullshit anyway?

Until this latest model year, I believe. The 2019 f850 actually has 853cc of displacement, and they switched to a 270 degree firing order and added another counterbalancer.

The whole engine is made in China, which seems like the perfect combination for traditional German over-engineering. Let's solve a problem in the most complex way possible, and outsource manufacturing to what might as well be slave labor.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah until the 850, it sounds like, the 800 and 700 and 650s were all 800cc P2s with 360 cranks and the ecu and throttle bodies were just different on the "650" and "700" ones. Throttle body not even different really, I think, just the butterfly cam that the cable connects to. Cams the same as far as I know.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

loving hell that's miserable.

Jazzzzz posted:

Until this latest model year, I believe. The 2019 f850 actually has 853cc of displacement, and they switched to a 270 degree firing order and added another counterbalancer.

*fits 270 crank, test rides bike*

WHOA gently caress that's way too interesting better balance that poo poo out some more

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

In 30 years the neo-cyber-hipsters will be telling each other how much better 180 crank twins are than those plebian 270s that every classic bike has

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're loving rad, it's one power stroke per revolution!*

*: 2 strokes only

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FBS posted:

In 30 years the neo-cyber-hipsters will be telling each other how much better 180 crank twins are than those plebian 270s that every classic bike has

I like my 180-degree crank CL350

it sounds like a go-kart powered by a sewing machine

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

This isn't from advrider but there doesn't seem to be a better place for it:

Possible to take a girl on dates with Vespa? posted:

Long story short. Went from 1.2 million to looking for quarters all over the house to buy a little caesers pizza in 1 year with a bad investment and scam.

I can't afford a car or suv. My situation now is just a little better and I can get a Vespa soon.

My question is. How do you take a girl on a date? I would not feel safe with a girl riding on my back since I will be brand new to scooters.

Is it weird to not pick her up in a car? Just small things I think of because in the past I always picked up my x girlfriend or any dates.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The Vespa. Notorious for being unromantic for dates.

I think he should be more concerned about how they react to his losing 1.2 million on Bitcoin.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Imagine having 1.2 million dollars and being like “this bitcoin thing looks legit”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Knowing a bitcoiner he’ll show up with a Vespa knock-off and will spend half the date stating how intelligent he is to save money by snagging a “VESPR” instead.