Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Nuns with Guns posted:

Ah fair enough.

I will say that Friends at the Table had enough trouble with Technoir that they swapped it out in favor of The Sprawl for their cyberpunk game. However, their big issue was not with the Push Dice economy. They dug right into that and there was plenty of good back and forth with it. The big issue for them was coming up with adjectives to apply on the spot and it was dragging the momentum of the game and recordings down because none of them were familiar with the rules before or used to coming up with something like that quickly. The Sprawl was easier for them to play with because they're way more familiar with PbtA rules.

And to be fair it has been talked about that Friends at the Table would continue playing Technoir if they were just playing as a group instead of playing for an actual play cast.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I really have no idea what this system is, but this makes perfect sense to me along with the "refuse to roll initiative" example. Like, what's going on if it's a fight scene and people aren't using the mechanics designed to resolve fight scenes? I think I'd flavor that not as "these tough goons just can't hurt you! Every strike is a slapstick bit!" but rather, "Ok, you tuck yourselves into a corner and wave your weapons threateningly whenever they get too close. You two hurl insults back and forth. They are calling reinforcements. What do you do?"

Tracking the guy and they refuse to risk anything to manage to follow him? = "He's getting away, you will have to do something dramatic to close the distance. What do you do?"

Technoir's base system is pretty straightforward: you roll a number of dice equal to a Verb (skill) rating and the enemy rolls a reaction, whoever has the highest single number gets to apply an adjective. You get 3 Push Dice at the start of each roll, and you can add them into a roll if various character traits or item tags would be relevant to the Verb being rolled.

The adjectives you're usually applying to enemies are things like "dazed" or "blind" to debilitate them. There are 3 types of adjectives: fleeting, sticky, and locked. Negative fleeting adjectives last until the situation changes or they do a quick recovery (so like "floored" or "distracted.") Sticky adjectives last until they can be treated (like "cut" or "burned.") Locked adjectives are mostly permanent (so "dead" or "comatose" or "severed.")

Adjectives you'd apply in an exchange like that are fleeting unless you spend Push Dice from the pool you rolled. You can spend 1 Push Die to make an adjective sticky, or 2 to make it locked.

If you spend Push Dice this way, they go into the GM's pool of Push Dice and then the GM can start applying sticky or locked adjectives back at the PCs, who get the Push Dice back like that.

There's a few other small mechanics involved but that's the bit that's relevant to resolving a conflict.

Mr. Maltose posted:

And to be fair it has been talked about that Friends at the Table would continue playing Technoir if they were just playing as a group instead of playing for an actual play cast.

Right, they liked the game but they weren't comfortable enough running it for the entertainment of others.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Can we have a discussion without it involving two people at each other's front?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Technoir does seem like a game that could use some steering mechanics baked into the system as well as a social contract of like “if I use these push dice, you’re not gonna straight up kill my character.” These sorts of things can go unspoken, but I feel like making them more explicit in this case might be helpful.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Covok posted:

No, probably not.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Covok posted:

No because fronts are an essential part of PbtA and if you don’t understand that you are wrong and must ritually flagellate yourself in order to make penance.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Meinberg posted:

Technoir does seem like a game that could use some steering mechanics baked into the system as well as a social contract of like “if I use these push dice, you’re not gonna straight up kill my character.” These sorts of things can go unspoken, but I feel like making them more explicit in this case might be helpful.

There is one note that adjectives can't be something that removes a target's agency in one hit like "dead" unless the target is a henchman (henchman and heavies are the two categories of enemies in the game, while the other character designations are protagonist and connections), but having that in guiding GM principles would be great.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
As the resident skeptic of rules-light games in general, fronts are one of the most brilliant and fundamental aspects of campaign design I've ever encountered and they should just be standard in any TRPG (unless it has a wildly non-traditional structure, and even in that case it should actively justify why it doesn't use them).

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I really have no idea what this system is, but this makes perfect sense to me along with the "refuse to roll initiative" example. Like, what's going on if it's a fight scene and people aren't using the mechanics designed to resolve fight scenes? I think I'd flavor that not as "these tough goons just can't hurt you! Every strike is a slapstick bit!" but rather, "Ok, you tuck yourselves into a corner and wave your weapons threateningly whenever they get too close. You two hurl insults back and forth. They are calling reinforcements. What do you do?"

Tracking the guy and they refuse to risk anything to manage to follow him? = "He's getting away, you will have to do something dramatic to close the distance. What do you do?"
Yeah, Technoir doesn't work like that. Its resolution is very different from basically any game you've probably played. When Arivia talks about it as narrative, that's correct, but it's also nothing like PbtA games which are also very narrative.

It's easier to explain by digging into your second scenario. As the GM, I can't actually say he's getting away. Or, I can say it but then I can't actually back that up. To fully lose the tail would be a sticky adjective and I can't use those unless I have points to spend and I don't unless the players spend them to me. That kind of stake-setting that you suggest is something I'm totally familiar with and comfortable with - tell them the risks and then let them roll to see what happens is how Burning Wheel works, and how Strike works, and how many moves in PbtA games work. Technoir doesn't work like that. You don't set stakes for the roll. You apply an adjective after the roll, with its effect depending on how much you spend.

Hopefully that sort of explains the first, too? Like the player would describe their action - say they throw a goon headfirst into the wall. They'd roll and succeed and ask if they could knock him out and I'd say "yeah if you spend" and they'd say "oh nah, can we just go with dazed or woozy instead?" I don't get to frame their actions or set stakes in the same way I could in a lot of other games. The stakes are up to how much the players spend.

If you are familiar with Blades in the Dark, imagine if Blades was set up so that every roll in the game defaults to having limited effect unless the player spend points for effect, and the GM could only use Soft Moves until the players spent points. The lack of "deal harm as established" means that if you establish harm and you don't have the points to back it up, then you can't deal it. A bad guy could have a gun to the hostage's back and if the players don't spend a point, the bad guy cannot shoot the hostage no matter what the players elect to do or how badly they flub their rolls. You can respond by bringing in 6 more bad guys all pointing guns, but none of them can shoot anyone if the players won't spend. So if the economy is flowing well and players are spending, then it all works, but if players aren't spending enough, it all kind of goes to poo poo as your big scary threats turn out to be kind of embarrassing let-downs.

Which, again, leads me to say why not just have a rule saying that at least 2 dice are going to the GM from each player in the scene? So you might as well spend them on something good because the GM is going to be able to hit back and follow through on their threats even if you decide to fool around. Isn't that way more in line with the fiction we're supposed to be emulating? In a cyberpunk dystopia if you go up to some geared up corporate cops and start slapping them around, what are they going to do? Are they going to respond by getting in a slapfight? Or are they going to pull guns and escalate? It's obviously the latter, isn't it? Simply giving the GM the ability to establish danger and then to deal harm as established would mean that players would have to spend their points if they want to avoid the harm, which would make the economy run properly, which would lead to better genre emulation.

I'm not at all coming at this from a point of trying to poo poo on Technoir, and neither was Rob Donoghue. Both of us liked it and saw the potential and wanted to fix it and maybe run it again. Some people don't have NVIDIA graphics cards, so if your game has a bug that occurs for everyone with a NVIDIA card, you could change the minimum requirements to say that NVIDIA cards won't work, but really you should just fix the bug. Technoir has a bug. The bug doesn't show up for all groups, but it shows up for enough groups that it's worth fixing.

And let me come out and say that I can be hard on my own games, too. Sometimes when running Strike! I really want to be able to "deal harm as established" but the dice keep coming up with Twists instead of Costs and since Injured is a Cost, it can be a bit hinky. It still works, but the Twists can get kind of weird. (And sometimes the reverse - it can be hard to come up with a good Cost). I had only played a little bit of Apocalypse World when I wrote Strike! and I didn't yet know just how important harm as established was. When I ever get enough time to write a second edition or put together a big expansion, I'm going to make some tweaks in that area. I see totally where Luke Crane was coming from in Mouse Guard leaving that 100% up to GM fiat on a failed roll. I still prefer to have it not be 100% up to the GM, but I've been thinking of some minor tweaks that will help.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 10, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, Technoir doesn't work like that. Its resolution is very different from basically any game you've probably played. When Arivia talks about it as narrative, that's correct, but it's also nothing like PbtA games which are also very narrative.

It's easier to explain by digging into your second scenario. As the GM, I can't actually say he's getting away. Or, I can say it but then I can't actually back that up. To fully lose the tail would be a sticky adjective and I can't use those unless I have points to spend and I don't unless the players spend them to me. That kind of stake-setting that you suggest is something I'm totally familiar with and comfortable with - tell them the risks and then let them roll to see what happens is how Burning Wheel works, and how Strike works, and how many moves in PbtA games work. Technoir doesn't work like that. You don't set stakes for the roll. You apply an adjective after the roll, with its effect depending on how much you spend.

I'm not certain how losing a tail would be a sticky adjective in and of itself. Like in theory, if the PC was undetected they'd be rolling Prowl or something. On a fleeting adjective they might apply "distracted" to the guy because he hasn't spotted them yet, but it would be better to push it up to a sticky "tracked" or something similar to document that the PC was able to trail after him. The henchman would be doing a reaction Detect roll with "glimpsed" as a potential fleeting outcome, or perhaps "alerted" as a sticky one. And an alert would maybe lead into him calling in the PC's description, so now all the other goons know what the PC looks like and are probably closing in! Or at the very least the guy would bolt at that point and now the game's afoot.

If this is a chase and the henchman is trying to shake the PC, they'd both be rolling Move and trying to apply a sticky adjective. The PC probably wants "caught" as the sticky one, or something similar that'd stop a movement forward, while the henchman wants "trapped" or "debilitated" or "stunned" as a signifier that something blocked the PC's progress in the pursuit. If the henchman doesn't have any push dice, well then maybe it's time to stop running and turn around and fight because they're clearly not outpacing the PC.

Really at this point I think anyone that wants clarification on how the system works could look at GimpInBlack's F&F writeup on it: https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/gimpinblack/technoir/

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 10, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Technoir sounds neat but a physical copy is only available from one store it seems and they're sold out.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Technoir sounds neat but a physical copy is only available from one store it seems and they're sold out.

Yeah, the creator abandoned the project a few years ago, and I guess sold the license to The Alexandrian because the PDF is available through his company's DriveThru storefront.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As the resident skeptic of rules-light games in general, fronts are one of the most brilliant and fundamental aspects of campaign design I've ever encountered and they should just be standard in any TRPG (unless it has a wildly non-traditional structure, and even in that case it should actively justify why it doesn't use them).

Agreed, really one of the big successes of Apocalypse World isn't even mechanical so much as the way it formulates how to establish and design a campaign.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Those rules definitely sound like they need some kind of time limit mechanic, or clear statement that the GM can impose one, to stop indefinite slap fights and sieges. Is there one somewhere?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

hyphz posted:

Those rules definitely sound like they need some kind of time limit mechanic, or clear statement that the GM can impose one, to stop indefinite slap fights and sieges. Is there one somewhere?

No, there is none, but I don't think that a hard time limit or a turn limit is the right sort of fix for this. Again, why can't you just keep slapping a cop in this setting? Because even if they just slap you back the first time or two, eventually they are going to pull their gun and escalate.

So my proposed house rule is certainly not the only way to get that outcome. But I picked it because it is minimally intrusive. Any group that is playing as intended will not see any consequences from the rule because they are already playing that way. Only the groups that are getting it wrong will be affected and will then hopefully get it right. It might even be like a training wheels thing where once the group gets used to playing it right they won't need the houserule anymore.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

No, there is none, but I don't think that a hard time limit or a turn limit is the right sort of fix for this. Again, why can't you just keep slapping a cop in this setting? Because even if they just slap you back the first time or two, eventually they are going to pull their gun and escalate.

c'mon even you have to realize this is a frank trollman question

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Jimbozig posted:

That would be getting into a prolonged standoff with the cops where they aren't bringing you down but you're not getting away. Even putting aside "they can't hurt you", the PCs should have plenty of reasons not to want to be in that situation.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Honestly, I'm down for a game that encourages cop-slapping as a core mechanic.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Agent Rush posted:

System: Fellowship

Setting: Mirrodin

It's something I've been thinking of running for a while. Mirrodin loosely following canon basically makes for a few Fellowship campaigns with different overlords for each. Just let players define/redefine whatever group of people their character emerges from.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Alaois posted:

c'mon even you have to realize this is a frank trollman question

I mean, yes and no. I'm being a bit silly with the word slapping. But basically my players got in a fistfight with armed corporate security goons and the goons couldn't really use their weapons because shooting someone and applying a fleeting adjective would be dumb.

Trollman asks why can't the GM just use bears which is a stupid question because the rules don't require bears and that would be the GM being a dick. I ask why can't the cops shoot people, which I think is a good question because the rules really do say that the cops can't shoot people if I don't have points.

And the point isn't really to fix the stupid degenerate case of no spending ever, but to fix the common complaint that not enough spending happens for things to work as intended. When you want to have a rule to fix an issue in a roleplaying game it's a good idea to look to the fiction for what that rule means. So a time limit is not really a good fix because what does that look like in the fiction? It looks like a slapfight with a time limit. That's still dumb and not what we want. The alternative is giving the GM points even when the players aren't spending enough, and what does that look like in the fiction? It looks like cops that are allowed to use their weapons and actually be threatening instead of just having a slapfight.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Jim everything you've talked about so far has either been an demonstration of why the players should be following the core principles of the game (which do advise the need to be aggressive and reckless for the game to work best) that I posted already, or it's been an issue with the application of adjectives, which I have been saying is a struggle for people.

You could layer more rules on this but these problems with the Push Dice specifically sound like they're perfectly solvable with clear communication and a firm grasp on what "Shake the Trees and See What Falls Out" and "Get Hurt" mean to a gritty cyberpunk crime noir game.

We've just been going in circles around this for like a day now though so it doesn't seem like there's any more to be said.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Look it could be worse, it could be a multi day argument about a hypothetical Pokémon role-playing system.

I apologize for taking part in that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The fact that there is a functioning one made it worse.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Digimon is still a more interesting premise for a roleplaying game. Hell, a story game based on Digimin would be grea...hmm.

Should I make that? But I never released my other one for shounen battle comics. Well, it's available but I never did a Kickstarter and I never actually needed for sale. Should I start working on another one if I never going to probably sell it?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

thetoughestbean posted:

Look it could be worse, it could be a multi day argument about a hypothetical Pokémon role-playing system.

I apologize for taking part in that.

I mean, I think it's important if you're talking about a crunchy pokemon RPG to explain just how much insane crunch and RNG bullshit is baked into a game series about pitching adorable monsters against the adorable monsters of gangsters and end-times ecoterrorists. I guess Pokemon is like D&D in that way, where it's impossible to make everybody happy with any individual execution of it because it's so pervasive and widespread that you can't possibly cater to every expectation someone has in one game.

Now, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? Totally doable as a concept and it's a sin and an outrage that nobody has made it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I mean, I think it's important if you're talking about a crunchy pokemon RPG to explain just how much insane crunch and RNG bullshit is baked into a game series about pitching adorable monsters against the adorable monsters of gangsters and end-times ecoterrorists. I guess Pokemon is like D&D in that way, where it's impossible to make everybody happy with any individual execution of it because it's so pervasive and widespread that you can't possibly cater to every expectation someone has in one game.

Now, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? Totally doable as a concept and it's a sin and an outrage that nobody has made it.

Wizards of the Coast put out an extremely simple game where you play as a Pokemon back when they still had the license.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Argas posted:

It's something I've been thinking of running for a while. Mirrodin loosely following canon basically makes for a few Fellowship campaigns with different overlords for each. Just let players define/redefine whatever group of people their character emerges from.

I think most MtG blocks would fit Fellowship's setup pretty well, with a few minor adjustments depending on which framework you want to use.

Covok posted:

Digimon is still a more interesting premise for a roleplaying game. Hell, a story game based on Digimin would be grea...hmm.

Should I make that? But I never released my other one for shounen battle comics. Well, it's available but I never did a Kickstarter and I never actually needed for sale. Should I start working on another one if I never going to probably sell it?

There's always the option of scrubbing the IP out and releasing it as its own thing. FEV had some pretty cool concepts, it definitely sparked ideas in my own work.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Covok posted:

Digimon's way better for it of the two major Mon franchises. You get one monster and it's form and evolutions are based entirely on your PC's personality and development. Having power tiers where your Highest level form becomes a 1/day thing and the lower forms are encounter/etc. Oh you wanna push that roll? Okay but you get 3 points toward dark digivolution and that means OOPS you succceed but congrats you made a Satanmon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

Agreed, though personally I think the franchise needs something more crunchy and tactical than your average "story game" style RPG would have, though really the only aspect of that franchise that would be tricky to emulate is it's Evolution mechanics

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Leraika posted:

Wizards of the Coast put out an extremely simple game where you play as a Pokemon back when they still had the license.

Welp now that I know this exists I won't be able to rest til I find a copy. You don't happen to remember the title do you?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

-Fish- posted:

Welp now that I know this exists I won't be able to rest til I find a copy. You don't happen to remember the title do you?

I do! It's Pokemon Jr. Adventure (though it looks like I was mistaken; you actually do play as pokemon trainers, but since they don't have any stats or anything, you could just be a Pokemon, I guess).

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

I've just published a new game called You in Me, a 2-player business card-sized epistolary game where you play soldiers in a terrible war, writing letters while you hear each other's voices in your heads.

If anyone has any thoughts about it, let me know!

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Leraika posted:

I do! It's Pokemon Jr. Adventure (though it looks like I was mistaken; you actually do play as pokemon trainers, but since they don't have any stats or anything, you could just be a Pokemon, I guess).

Thanks! Turns out there's a ton of copies available real cheap on eBay, my 7yo will be delighted at the stocking stuffer.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

-Fish- posted:

Thanks! Turns out there's a ton of copies available real cheap on eBay, my 7yo will be delighted at the stocking stuffer.

:3: Glad to help!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It apparently sold well and there were plans for some kind of “advanced” version aimed at older players but it never happened for whatever reason.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

I think most MtG blocks would fit Fellowship's setup pretty well, with a few minor adjustments depending on which framework you want to use.

There's always the option of scrubbing the IP out and releasing it as its own thing. FEV had some pretty cool concepts, it definitely sparked ideas in my own work.

Oh, what did you work on? I do vaguely remember you and me discussing things once. IIRC, I had to judge your work once. I did a playtest. That was a while back. Unfortunately, I couldn't use FEV for that contest so my contest entry in that thing was bad.

drrockso20 posted:

Agreed, though personally I think the franchise needs something more crunchy and tactical than your average "story game" style RPG would have, though really the only aspect of that franchise that would be tricky to emulate is it's Evolution mechanics

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Digimon's way better for it of the two major Mon franchises. You get one monster and it's form and evolutions are based entirely on your PC's personality and development. Having power tiers where your Highest level form becomes a 1/day thing and the lower forms are encounter/etc. Oh you wanna push that roll? Okay but you get 3 points toward dark digivolution and that means OOPS you succceed but congrats you made a Satanmon

I think both of you are going in different directions than I am thinking. I think step one is deciding if you're going to emulate the games or the shows.In the games, one person can have multiple digimon and the whole thing is basically a Shin Megami Tenshi game. In the shows, it's more like a mecha anime meets Pokemon meets coming of age story.

I only like two or three Digimon games and like every season of the anime so that's easy.

We ignore the motifs of season 4 because its too radical of a departure in that department. Its theme and structure is fine, though.

What are we left with? We have to boil it down like British cooking to get all of the IP out. We need the basics, bland as they may be, to get a basis to work off of. I identify the following:
  • Children are brought into extraordinary circumstances
  • Children obtain a fully sapient partner monster who becomes their best friend
  • Children must go on a big quest
  • Children face insecurities and personal flaws
  • Children grow past these insecurities and flaws
  • Their partner monster grows stronger as they grow past these flaws
  • Children have friends in their quest
  • Friends grow into conflict with one another
  • The conflict with their friends helps them overcome their personal insecurities and flaws
  • Children eventually grow closer with their friends and end their conflicts
  • Children hit their lowest point when all hope seems lost
  • Children push past this and find the strength to fix everything
  • Children grow into stable and well-functioning adults

That is the core of a Digimon story to me.

I think a few things are probably necessary to make a game like this work, regardless of structure
  • The GM should NOT control the partner monsters. It's too much on one person. Instead, a system should happen where the player to your right or left is your partner monster. They are also their own human character, of course. This diverts the burden and allows for the partner monsters to be more distinct. It also makes it clear the partner monster is their own separate entity.
  • The partner monster and human characters should have their own character generation system, but the human character should be the main factor. Their advancement drives advancement for the partner monster.
  • Advancement should be tied to personal growth. If their is XP, it should be like Chuubos where its earned for completing personal goals. Perhaps more like Fellowship where you answer questions at the end. The flux has got to be personal growth.
  • Do NOT get lost on trying to emulate all of Digimon's foibles. We don't necessarily need Jogress (DNA) Digivolving or rules for Digi-Metals just because the series has. That is cruft that can be cut.
  • Because I want to go off the shows, I think a looser, more narrative driven combat system should work. Combat in Digimon has a point. Instead of it being about Hit Points, I suggest a MORAL SYSTEM. Every session focus on a different player's human character. You can't repeat until everyone goes once. The player of the human and the GM work out the MORAL the character needs to learn to grow. Be it facing an insecurity or a personal flaw. It should be a minor goal that is a step along a major series long arc. The GM and Player work out 3 or so steps that need to be achieved for the Moral to be learned. As the session progresses, they try to hit those steps. When they are all hit, only then, can any conflict in the session be resolved. Combat, for example, is automatically finished when this occurs with the player getting to have a MOMENT OF AWESOME where they narrate how their MORAL allows them to best the trial.
  • The game should be broken into arcs with tiers. Like champion --> ultimate ---> Mega. These three tiers decide the series. Each one gets a big bad with 5 requirements to beat them. 1 requirement is always that each kid must learn a moral. The other 4 are related to in-game things that sessions are based around like FIND THE TAG AND CRESTS or something. Once these keys are unlocked, a final battle can occur where everyone has to work together to gain a moral so they can beat the big bad. Then, a bigger bad presents themselves and a new stage of power is unlocked. Do this three times (or so) and the campaign is over.

It's 12 am so I should stop. But that's what I got so far.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Late as gently caress (as usual) but:

Favorite System: Cinematic Unisystem

Favorite Setting: Theah (7th Sea)

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Hey y'all, I take it most of you aren't Dragonlance fans, but one of the more novel ideas the setting had was alternate timelines due to River of Time shenanigans. One of the sourcebooks had an entire chapter on alt-Krynns based on major historical incidents changing. Like what if the Kingpriest prevented the Cataclysm, what if the Wizards of High Sorcery got more involved in politics and set up magocracies across Ansalon, etc.

I was wondering if anything similar happened in What If? scenarios for other settings out there. Like Faerun, Eberron, Greyhawk, etc.

Seems a cool idea

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Libertad! posted:

Hey y'all, I take it most of you aren't Dragonlance fans, but one of the more novel ideas the setting had was alternate timelines due to River of Time shenanigans. One of the sourcebooks had an entire chapter on alt-Krynns based on major historical incidents changing. Like what if the Kingpriest prevented the Cataclysm, what if the Wizards of High Sorcery got more involved in politics and set up magocracies across Ansalon, etc.

I was wondering if anything similar happened in What If? scenarios for other settings out there. Like Faerun, Eberron, Greyhawk, etc.

Seems a cool idea

Admittedly I've only read a couple books for the setting, but one of those books is still definitely my favorite official D&D novel Draconian Measures, partly because it's a rare example of a fantasy novel that takes place completely from the perspective of non-human characters(and indeed has only a single human character of importance in it) and does some interesting things with that, but also because it's just a fun book full of action and even a fair bit of humor

Covok posted:

Oh, what did you work on? I do vaguely remember you and me discussing things once. IIRC, I had to judge your work once. I did a playtest. That was a while back. Unfortunately, I couldn't use FEV for that contest so my contest entry in that thing was bad.

I think both of you are going in different directions than I am thinking. I think step one is deciding if you're going to emulate the games or the shows.In the games, one person can have multiple digimon and the whole thing is basically a Shin Megami Tenshi game. In the shows, it's more like a mecha anime meets Pokemon meets coming of age story.

I only like two or three Digimon games and like every season of the anime so that's easy.

We ignore the motifs of season 4 because its too radical of a departure in that department. Its theme and structure is fine, though.

What are we left with? We have to boil it down like British cooking to get all of the IP out. We need the basics, bland as they may be, to get a basis to work off of. I identify the following:
  • Children are brought into extraordinary circumstances
  • Children obtain a fully sapient partner monster who becomes their best friend
  • Children must go on a big quest
  • Children face insecurities and personal flaws
  • Children grow past these insecurities and flaws
  • Their partner monster grows stronger as they grow past these flaws
  • Children have friends in their quest
  • Friends grow into conflict with one another
  • The conflict with their friends helps them overcome their personal insecurities and flaws
  • Children eventually grow closer with their friends and end their conflicts
  • Children hit their lowest point when all hope seems lost
  • Children push past this and find the strength to fix everything
  • Children grow into stable and well-functioning adults

That is the core of a Digimon story to me.

I think a few things are probably necessary to make a game like this work, regardless of structure
  • The GM should NOT control the partner monsters. It's too much on one person. Instead, a system should happen where the player to your right or left is your partner monster. They are also their own human character, of course. This diverts the burden and allows for the partner monsters to be more distinct. It also makes it clear the partner monster is their own separate entity.
  • The partner monster and human characters should have their own character generation system, but the human character should be the main factor. Their advancement drives advancement for the partner monster.
  • Advancement should be tied to personal growth. If their is XP, it should be like Chuubos where its earned for completing personal goals. Perhaps more like Fellowship where you answer questions at the end. The flux has got to be personal growth.
  • Do NOT get lost on trying to emulate all of Digimon's foibles. We don't necessarily need Jogress (DNA) Digivolving or rules for Digi-Metals just because the series has. That is cruft that can be cut.
  • Because I want to go off the shows, I think a looser, more narrative driven combat system should work. Combat in Digimon has a point. Instead of it being about Hit Points, I suggest a MORAL SYSTEM. Every session focus on a different player's human character. You can't repeat until everyone goes once. The player of the human and the GM work out the MORAL the character needs to learn to grow. Be it facing an insecurity or a personal flaw. It should be a minor goal that is a step along a major series long arc. The GM and Player work out 3 or so steps that need to be achieved for the Moral to be learned. As the session progresses, they try to hit those steps. When they are all hit, only then, can any conflict in the session be resolved. Combat, for example, is automatically finished when this occurs with the player getting to have a MOMENT OF AWESOME where they narrate how their MORAL allows them to best the trial.
  • The game should be broken into arcs with tiers. Like champion --> ultimate ---> Mega. These three tiers decide the series. Each one gets a big bad with 5 requirements to beat them. 1 requirement is always that each kid must learn a moral. The other 4 are related to in-game things that sessions are based around like FIND THE TAG AND CRESTS or something. Once these keys are unlocked, a final battle can occur where everyone has to work together to gain a moral so they can beat the big bad. Then, a bigger bad presents themselves and a new stage of power is unlocked. Do this three times (or so) and the campaign is over.

It's 12 am so I should stop. But that's what I got so far.

On the matters of the franchise's main themes you definitely nailed it on the head, though at least from my perspective you're definitely leaning a tad too heavily towards story game territory, but then I'm the kind of person as both player and GM who is more interested in the ways a system works mechanically, rather than the story aspects, because how well the story stuff works is too subjective of a thing to be able to consistently nail(as it highly depends on both player and GM capabilities) while if the the actual game parts aren't done right than no one is going to have a good time*

*basically I feel that when it comes to the term Role-Playing Game, that the Game part of the term is the more important half, cause honestly most people I've played with(counting myself here) are mediocre at best at the actual Role-Playing part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Libertad! posted:

Seems a cool idea

L5R's Imperial Histories 1 &2 for had a lot of alt-Rokugans for had several alt-Rokugans. Sengoku-era Rokugan with guns, Space Rokugan, various "What if a different clan became the imperial clan instead of the Hantei" options, etc.