Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Washington Post looked at a decade of elections and found ~30 credible (not even proved) cases of in-person voter fraud in a billion votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
We vote by mail around here and it's so easy and obvious that I don't see why it's not done in all states*.

*Voter suppression, I know.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Don't forget about gerrymandering, since with the advent of Redmap, now minor local elections tactically get money and advertising pumped into them for the sake of further rigging districts.

The supreme court has declined to rule on it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

The supreme court has declined to rule on it.

But they sure do love gutting the Voting Rights Act without even trying to give a constitutional argument.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I stand with Stan Stanard - a machine direct dialing to another does not necessarily mean it is ‘connecting to the internet’.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Greaseman posted:

We vote by mail around here and it's so easy and obvious that I don't see why it's not done in all states*.

*Voter suppression, I know.

Isn't this how people went to elderly voters homes to "help" them vote?

E:

Baronash posted:

An optical scanner is still a voting machine, and the bill Oliver is talking about covers those as well.

Unless you’re actually suggesting hand counting ballots, which is a massive undertaking.

Not really, if you're only voting for 1 office on that day. And without the requirement to install voting hardware at polling places, a barrier to setting up more polling places is reduced.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 5, 2019

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

tarlibone posted:

Five seconds after the very first secret ballot election in human history was announced, a corrupt politician figured out a way to manipulate the results, .

And since then we've come with a hell of a lot of measures to make sure paper ballots are counted correctly. Measures that are so much more effective than even the best electronic voting machine.

Baronash posted:

Unless you’re actually suggesting hand counting ballots, which is a massive undertaking.

I am absolutely suggesting hand counting ballots. This is what we do in the Netherlands now. It means you get the results some hours later. It also means you can trust that the results of your election actually reflect the votes cast by the voters. Is that worth something to you?

We used to have machines. Then a university hacked them. Easily. Multiple times. So we got rid of them because we give a poo poo about democracy.

If you haven't seen this, you absolutely need to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 5, 2019

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
There are always going to be ways to game the system. I'd rather make it harder for them to do. I would rather have at LEAST a print out backup that shows that you voted how you did.

If things go to recount, it'll be harder for them (not impossible, just harder) for them to get rid of thousands of paper votes, which leaves physical evidence.

I'd also rather have a federal mandated way of doing votes that's seen across board. Along with how voting should work, so we don't get poo poo like Mississippi, doing kind of a state only Electoral College.. because Racism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REpHG2ETAE0

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Baronash posted:

Yeah, but elections have massive consequences, so it's worth it.

Here in Australia we have hand counting of ballots, and we have a full on preferential voting system where each ballot can have a hundred different marks on it. One of the ways that counting is made secure is by having candidates able to put nominate scrutineers. Those scrutineers have the right to be witness to basically any stage of the whole process except for the actual vote casting itself (since we have a secret ballot).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Orange Devil posted:

The solution is to get rid of voting machines.

Does any other country use voting machines or is it just a weird American thing?

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Does any other country use voting machines or is it just a weird American thing?

Venezuela uses voting machines, and every voting station has to audit a % of the machines once the election ends.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Corky Romanovsky posted:

And without the requirement to install voting hardware at polling places, a barrier to setting up more polling places is reduced.

This isn't a barrier. The infrastructure to train and organize tens of thousands of temporary poll workers every single election is the real cost of polling places, not the machines you buy once a decade.

The lack of polling places isn't an accident. It's a feature of the system and is rooted in racism and silencing progressive voices.

Senor Tron posted:

One of the ways that counting is made secure is by having candidates able to put nominate scrutineers. Those scrutineers have the right to be witness to basically any stage of the whole process except for the actual vote casting itself (since we have a secret ballot).

Poll watchers in the US are allowed to do the same thing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If you live on the east coast, unless its a landslide, the result doesn't come in until well after midnight. I am fine with going to bed and waking up to see who won, so time shouldn't be a factor.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What cases have their been of elected officials winning due to someone hacking or tampering with voting machines?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's like half a year between elections and taking office anyways, keeping glued to the news expecting to see the exact second it's called is just stressing yourself out to no benefit.

Blue Nation posted:

Venezuela uses voting machines, and every voting station has to audit a % of the machines once the election ends.

Well that's damning with faint praise.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's like half a year between elections and taking office anyways, keeping glued to the news expecting to see the exact second it's called is just stressing yourself out to no benefit.

Well that's damning with faint praise.

Most modern democracies use voting machines.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

What cases have their been of elected officials winning due to someone hacking or tampering with voting machines?

The burden of proof is very much on the company making money off of these machines on the whole "does this potentially fatally comprimise our democracy?" question.

Actually that's not at all true: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_voting_by_country

Most countries on that list have actually abandoned electronic voting.

And every single one that hasn't are being loving idiots.

And they're hardly "most modern democracies" to begin with.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 5, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My machine shows me a paper printout of my ballot when I submit my vote. I don’t have a problem with machines when they have a physical backup for recounts.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Craptacular! posted:

My machine shows me a paper printout of my ballot when I submit my vote. I don’t have a problem with machines when they have a physical backup for recounts.

How does the machine deal with erroneous ballots that require intervention by the user or staff to nullify? How is a recount triggered? How are audits performed? Physical backup alone is insufficient.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

How isn't this just a very expensive pencil?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Corky Romanovsky posted:

How does the machine deal with erroneous ballots that require intervention by the user or staff to nullify? How is a recount triggered? How are audits performed? Physical backup alone is insufficient.

You get a screen showing everything you voted for and telling you to carefully look it over and make sure it’s everything you wanted. Then a printout appears behind a plastic window showing you the paper copy and asking you agree that what is on the paper matches what is on the screen. I’ve never had it not match, so I’ve never voided a ballot just for fun to see how it does it.

Rules surrounding recount, hand counts, etc are set by the state. If your state can’t be bothered to keep elections free and fair, no ballots are going to solve that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

You get a screen showing everything you voted for and telling you to carefully look it over and make sure it’s everything you wanted. Then a printout appears behind a plastic window showing you the paper copy and asking you agree that what is on the paper matches what is on the screen. I’ve never had it not match, so I’ve never voided a ballot just for fun to see how it does it.

Rules surrounding recount, hand counts, etc are set by the state. If your state can’t be bothered to keep elections free and fair, no ballots are going to solve that.

Yeah this is kind of the fundamental issue. There's a reason why all the states with the heaviest use of "no paper trail" electronic voting machines are all Republican dominated.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Oh poo poo they finally talked about the Bob case tonight! Eat poo poo, Bob :allears:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ignis posted:

Oh poo poo they finally talked about the Bob case tonight! Eat poo poo, Bob :allears:

My god the ending. Probably the best ending of a Last Week Tonight ever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
God I loathe that quote and the pieces of poo poo who quote it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Djarum posted:

My god the ending. Probably the best ending of a Last Week Tonight ever.

It was SUCH a good, cathartic episode. I'm telling everyone I know to watch it.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Jesus tap-dancing Christ. THAT was a finish to an episode. :laffo: How much loving money did they spend on this?

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Also, for a 4-eyed British birb, John can sing moderately well. I was actually impressed by this.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

One Nut Wonder posted:

Jesus tap-dancing Christ. THAT was a finish to an episode. :laffo: How much loving money did they spend on this?

Probably a fraction of what they spent on the lawsuit.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Here's the clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN8bJb8biZU

And the lyrics

https://genius.com/John-oliver-eat-poo poo-bob-lyrics

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 12, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Now that's one hell of an episode. Even the first few segments were pretty good.

I kinda wish they talked about more SLAPPers than just Bob Murry, since this is a big issue and it'd be cool to see more awful people get a spotlight on them for their attempts to stop people from saying they're awful, but I get that would take away from the spectacular finish and probably be more risk than HBO wants to take on.

Which was kind of a problem I had with their initial Bob Murry story, he's not the only evil coal baron influencing the government to encourage global warming and discourage worker safety, but he's just so spectacularly bad and crazy he grabs all your attention.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Double post...gently caress.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Normally I'm pretty "eh" on the ending sketches, but that was incredible.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does the US not have laws for branding people vexatious litigants if they repeatedly file SLAPP suits? From the segment it sounds like even the states that do have anti-SLAPP laws only make people pay their opponents attorney's fees if they lose, without restricting their ability to file suit again in the future.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

From what I understand. not really, beyond the expedited dismissal of a case and additional sanctions. Ideally after getting sanctions and paying the defendant's fees on top of their counsel fees, that should be enough to encourage lovely plaintiffs to not do it again (unless they really REALLY want to see their money burn).

Over at the anime forums we have an ongoing thread for a SLAPP lawsuit by voice actor and sex pest Vic Mignogna, filed in Texas which is one of the states with strong anti-SLAPP laws. Even with all these provisions in place, the defendants have suffered the consequences of the lawsuit for most of the year, enduring a campaign of harassment online and offline that's extended to the defendant's counsels, reporters and even the case's judge. They've still got some months to go as the plaintiff has filed (badly) for an appeal, who doesn't seem very concerned that he's about to be out a million dollars once the appeals are denied.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Does the US not have laws for branding people vexatious litigants if they repeatedly file SLAPP suits? From the segment it sounds like even the states that do have anti-SLAPP laws only make people pay their opponents attorney's fees if they lose, without restricting their ability to file suit again in the future.

There are cases where people who are absurdly litigious have been effectively barred from using the court system. It's extremely rare, and oddly enough, it tends to happen less to rich coal magnates and more often to... well, a certain brand of non-wealthy person.

You've probably heard stories of people who live off of lawsuits, purposefully fall in stores to sue the owners, walk past "DANGER! DANGER! HIGH VOLTAGE!" signs and sue when they're injured in electrical fires at abandoned discos and Taco Bells, etc. And when you give those stories a moment of rational thought, you roll your eyes and wonder why you ever talk to the person who is telling you tall tales of these mysterious supertortfeasors. Here's the thing, though: a few of these people actually do exist, and on occasion, they are forbidden from abusing the system again.

I know California has a pretty specific law about this, but not all jurisdictions do, so if you look up the circumstances of these people, they don't have much in common besides the fact that they filed a poo poo-ton of frivolous lawsuits. Bob Murray is basically what you get when you take one of these people and give them a coal company and way too much money for their own good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pains me they did a section on Roger Stone and didn’t spend at least half of it talking about the freakish shape of his head.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pains me they did a section on Roger Stone and didn’t spend at least half of it talking about the freakish shape of his head.

Sorry, you want MORE of them talking about the shape of his head?
If you're attacking a person, attack his opinions, strategies and decisions all you want, but stay away from physical features if you can because, y'know, they're irrelevent?
I know this is NOT Oliver 101, because he attacks physical features, but only as an addition (or perhaps a prelude) to a deeper attack about actions and philosophy.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Actually if a person is a total rear end in a top hat and also has physical features that are funny then that's highly relevant imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I know that in my country you have to pay your own court expenses plus the court expenses of the guy you're suing if you lose the lawsuit. Which I guess is a good deterrent against frivolous lawsuits.