Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gorn Myson posted:

Whats the behind the scenes stuff on MGS1?

Honestly I can't remember what that was, I think it was like an interview with the localization guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Honestly I can't remember what that was, I think it was like an interview with the localization guy?

Yeah the localizer for MGS1 has talked a lot about his interactions with Kojima and stuff. A lot of stuff he didn't like and wanted changed, some of it was allowed nad some wasn't. Sneaking mission is all Kojima and was included over his protest.

The reason he wasn't brought on again - according to him - is that somebody got into Hideo's ear and was like "this guy hosed everything up, he hosed up your vision."

The localizer for MGS2 has a much more overly hostile interview as well where she talks a lot of poo poo about how Kojima is a hack who can't write to save his life. Also she supposedly wasn't paid right.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 11, 2019

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

NikkolasKing posted:

Kojima is a hack who can't write to save his life.

I can't really dispute this.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/18/20696081/metal-gear-solid-translation-japanese-english-jeremy-blaustein

A good read.

e: also lmao at this:
https://twitter.com/wccftechdotcom/status/1193573173276504064

The COD defense again, this time from the man himself.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 11, 2019

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I'm not saying the game doesn't have huge stuff to criticize about it, but I also think there are also lots of people who would be much more enchanted with the game if it had ~slick gunplay~ and cover mechanics

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol, i think he has some of a point, but most of that is because alot of people including myself kinda thought death stranding would be more MGS5 like. maybe not as leathal/violent. but not postman QWOP and the ghost patrol. I love MGS series despite its faults, but Death stranding just isnt doing it for me. there needs to be more there and it isnt. the weird poo poo isnt enough to save it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ambivalent posted:

I'm not saying the game doesn't have huge stuff to criticize about it, but I also think there are also lots of people who would be much more enchanted with the game if it had ~slick gunplay~ and cover mechanics

id agree with that. but like i said. all the previous games he has made have shooting/action mechanics and other stuff too.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Put in 12 hours into the game. I've decided that...it's not for me. I'm going to be selling it online

There are some good things about the game. It is very atmospheric and the whole game seems to be "in sync" with it's message (traveling being so arduous showing how hard it can be to connect with one another, how society falls apart if we aren't connected, etc.).

But at the end of the day the game just isn't that fun. And the gameplay just isn't there. Transversing can be atmospheric but it doesn't require as much experimentation as it should. I realize that "don't kill anyone" is a big thing in the game but the combat is just horrid. Punching people and aiming the rope gun (or whatever it's called) can be very inaccurate and aren't satisfying. And you pretty much do the exact same thing in the game. Walk to point A to point B and maybe have to hide from BT while throwing your fecal bombs at them, or run away from MULES.

Unfortunately the game's just not for me. More power to the people who find enjoyment in it though.

EDIT - I will say there is something slightly addicting to the game in terms of transversing the world to deliver packages, but dealing with all of the above just isn't worth it.

Ambivalent posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Kojima shyed away from this due to him wanting to make something unlike Metal Gear as much as possible. He probably didn't want Death Stranding to be seen as his Sekiro (e.g. "we'll finally branch off from our bread and butter franchise but kinda not since the new IP shares so much DNA with it that one could argue that it's some sort of spiritual side series). The issue is that Metal Gear is so influential, it's difficult to find any game it hasn't influenced. Almost every game that involves going into enemy territory and not expecting that you have to kill the enemy has stealth mechanics in it.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 11, 2019

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Ambivalent posted:

I don't need gunplay, or stealth, or patrolling guards and sight lines, but I would like mechanics that can offer a comparable level of depth.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

The one thing Death Stranding does s cure the phantom pain of what PT could have been.

It would have been bad.

Between seeing people argue how mgs4 and 5 aren't bad while pointing out things that would have made them better and Death Stranding's awful contrived bullshit ending and story that is a half reading of Wikipedia at best I feel really good that nothing was lost.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This isn't the Death Stranding thread, but the game rules. Trudging across a beautiful and desolate landscape is very much my jam and I don't see it getting boring anytime soon. The screenshot button is also getting a big work out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm also enjoying Stupid American Pig: The Game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Armadillo Tank posted:

The one thing Death Stranding does s cure the phantom pain of what PT could have been.

It would have been bad.

Between seeing people argue how mgs4 and 5 aren't bad while pointing out things that would have made them better and Death Stranding's awful contrived bullshit ending and story that is a half reading of Wikipedia at best I feel really good that nothing was lost.

5 was at least good gameplay wise, though pretty shallow. part of me would have liked to see kojima do an atmospheric horror game with del toro because he can do atmosphere and thats parts great in DS.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

death stranding is loving amazing and I love it and that's it ok

Anyway what I actually came here to ask: what's the list of recommended mods for MGSV these days? Wanna cut down on stuff, but also have options on how I do so.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’ve only really run with Infinite Heaven, but most of what it does is make the open world aspects more challenging / put walker gears in it like they should have been.

That said it does have some minor quirks - reward for outpost clearing is mysteriously delayed more often than not (likely due to patrols now being counted), and soldiers in open world patrol will get out of their walker gears and run to the outpost in response to alerts, which is silly. But walker gears sitting idle in outposts will be used against you properly.

The last release also added an option to have random outpost soldiers drop basic equipment in small amounts rather than their weapon, which makes open world subsistence runs a little more feasible.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Does Infinite Heaven also let you gently caress with timers and such? The less mods I have to install while still getting what I want, the better tbh.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Tbh I've never heard of any other mod than Infinite Heaven. That and cheat engining resources for yourself should cover everything you'd want.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Does Infinite Heaven also let you gently caress with timers and such? The less mods I have to install while still getting what I want, the better tbh.
I think it does, though I haven’t messed with too many AI settings. You can also make backup calls much gnarlier.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think it does, though I haven’t messed with too many AI settings. You can also make backup calls much gnarlier.

Remember one of the gameplay videos that came out a few months pre-release and going in to an Alert eventually had tanks rolling in? Can’t believe that wasn’t in the game. I guess spawning tanks at will would have been so lucrative that the economy balance would be very in the players favor, but who cares.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I guess Infinite Heaven was what I used the last time, and in that case, they've added a lot of features.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Look Sir Droids posted:

Remember one of the gameplay videos that came out a few months pre-release and going in to an Alert eventually had tanks rolling in? Can’t believe that wasn’t in the game. I guess spawning tanks at will would have been so lucrative that the economy balance would be very in the players favor, but who cares.

for the skulls attack event last week, the standard difficulty base-development platform has two anti-air emplacements and a hmg emplacement right next to one of the spawn points so you could literally have grabbed them, run and triggered the skulls, let them kill you, and then when the mission fails you keep the emplacements, for 2 AA emplacements every ~2-3 minutes for ~50k gmp (with a minimal loadout).

and gamepro24x (a youtuber) found a farming loop where you get a quicksave point right outside one of the tank unit side missions and can fulton them out, then checkpoint over and over again for infinite tanks

also, back up back down lets you grab basically an infinite stream of armored vehicles too, six every 15 minutes, and that's 100% by design

the game economy is fuuuuucked, tons of ways to exploit for vehicles if you want them, even without just cheat engine'ing yourself a ton of vehicles

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 13, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

All of that is true but development the tech tree is at least expensive enough that it’s tough to jump the gun if you’re not actively farming tank sales. Resources end up being a worse bottleneck

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Nothing has changed in terms of cheating and playing online, right?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Basic Chunnel posted:

All of that is true but development the tech tree is at least expensive enough that it’s tough to jump the gun if you’re not actively farming tank sales. Resources end up being a worse bottleneck

the economy for online play remains completely broken. one five-minute Skulls Attack normal difficulty FOB mission gives you 800k GMP, so GMP is absolutely not a problem. Like a half hour of grinding FOB events gives you enough GMP to research pretty much any one mid-rank unlock. And the combat deployments give you absolutely insane amounts of high-level mats (500 haoma/lutea every 4 days just for logging in). functionally your rate of weapon development is limited mostly by staff levels, partially by the insane amounts of low-level mats that some of them require, and not at all by GMP or high-level mats.

offline play is much more balanced between earn rates and deployment costs, but really there is no problem reaching the top of the offline tech tree by the end of the campaign unless you are making a beeline for s-ranking everything in the missions and never free-roaming outside the missions.

it's not like it affects the game experience much, beyond making deploying really high-level stuff way easier than it should be, and you can always self-impose limitations on that. But I certainly wouldn't imply the endgame economy is anything close to balanced, you will be swimming in resources with nothing to spend them on. The only way that isn't true is if you are deploying with top-level gear in FOB missions and dying over and over every couple minutes. GMP particularly will be pegged at 30m practically all the time for endgame players. And I actually straight-up bumped into the common metal/minor metal limits the other day. Can't have more than I think 1m or 10m on hand at a time. The fuel resources limit is apparently a bit higher.

I would actually say that it would be worse if there was a serious possibility of going negative/running out of mats, since the mechanisms the game currently uses to punish you is "can't deploy nicer weapons" and "staff leaves you" and that's pretty boring/bad as a mechanic.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 13, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

What’s the easiest way to get S++ staff? I assume FOBs, but how many do you get per successful run? And what’s easy mode? Stun grenade launcher?

I’ve seen some S+ dudes in free roam, which I don’t think used to be the case. I thought single player capped at S rank dudes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If you get those online FOB points I think you can direct trade em. Is there an online deployment to that effect?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

You can only deploy for S+ dudes. PF points can get you 3 S++ dudes at a time, but it takes like 3 weeks to get that many points. For the FOB points what’s the time investment per S++ dude?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Look Sir Droids posted:

You can only deploy for S+ dudes. PF points can get you 3 S++ dudes at a time, but it takes like 3 weeks to get that many points. For the FOB points what’s the time investment per S++ dude?

you only get s++ dudes if the player you're invading has them, and you do a long infiltration (I think only 4 platform FOBs) successfully without being detected. I've done 4-platform infiltrations and just murderized everyone and it didn't work, I didn't get any s++s.

For FOB Events it depends on the event but normally you can farm like 10k per run and then it's 45k for 3 soldiers (except combat which is 90k for 5). A run on most of them is typically 5 minutes except for Bound Dragons which is a 4-platform infiltration and isn't really worth it IMO. You can only redeem for one of each type of s++ per event (2 weeks) though. Or maybe it's per week?

FOB Events are definitely the path of least resistance but it's still a lot of grinding, and there is only so much you can do per event. Gotta get that skinner box going to keep you coming back on a regular basis.

Don't forget to get the S+ soldiers too... they do help level you up a fair bit, much quicker than S++, since you are getting more of them, and they still help displace S rank garbage.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 14, 2019

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Never played MGS4 (although I will soon once I pick up a cheap PS3) but watching LPs has got me wondering; how come reviewers spent most of their time focusing on the cutscenes when that game spent a lot of time trying to get you to admire Snake's, lets be honest, amazing arse?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

you can get desensitized to amazing rear end the same way you can to war

you cant get desensitized to bad cutscenes

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Post Traumatic rear end Disorder

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Post Traumatic rear end Disorder

Worth every pegging.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

Never played MGS4 (although I will soon once I pick up a cheap PS3) but watching LPs has got me wondering; how come reviewers spent most of their time focusing on the cutscenes when that game spent a lot of time trying to get you to admire Snake's, lets be honest, amazing arse?

Snake's rear end has been a thing since MGS2. If we want Snake rear end we can play that or even Twin Snakes.

Speaking of Kojima's equal opportunity sexualization, my eyesight i s terrible so I guess I just never noticed Raiden's junk is rendered in MGS2? Chip and Ironicus never mentioned it but Dan and Grace talked a lot about it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

drat, I never noticed this before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8Ceu6Mwjs

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Shine posted:

I can't really dispute this.

The best Metal Gear game is Metal Gear Rising. Makes you think.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just want more adventures with my dog-shaped robot buddy. :(

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Bald Highman

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Regalingualius posted:

I just want more adventures with my dog-shaped robot buddy. :(

Rising is great but Im also greatly enjoying adventures with my fetus buddy.

*BB gave you 1 like(s)*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Lmao I got FOB invaded yesterday, on a four platform section, and the invader completed it in under 3 minutes despite getting spotted 7 seconds in to the invasion. Then the log said he was neutralized halfway through, but somehow completed it anyway. Do people really bother hacking this poo poo? lol