Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat
Man, I am loving watching this as an old(43) with a youngster (25) and letting her figure things out, but giving breadcrubs. The show is bonkers, but really succinct with its’ world building. I’m impressed with how well it operates between people that know everything the source material and newcomers. I’m so glad that I kept my HBO subscription now.

Edit: shameful page snipe. Show is boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the show should just be jeremy irons killing clones in wacky ways

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

And you come home one day to check on him, and there's a pile of dead loving clones right outside his cage. Like, way too many for just one days worth of clones.

Part of me thinks he planned for it in some way. If you build a corpse catapult for some kind of corpse catapult experiment, at one point or another you're gonna have to make corpses.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

So this is where Pickles went.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

So, Trieu's daughter is going to be her mother, right?

I don't think Trieu has Veidt locked up. I think she's in cahoots with Veidt to run the 7K and to cook up whatever new false flag they need.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

romanowski posted:

the show should just be jeremy irons killing clones in wacky ways

I'm curious if the director told Jeremy Irons to do his best Christopher Lloyd or whether that's just a happy accident

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

legendaryRev posted:

Man, I am loving watching this as an old(43) with a youngster (25) and letting her figure things out, but giving breadcrubs. The show is bonkers, but really succinct with its’ world building. I’m impressed with how well it operates between people that know everything the source material and newcomers. I’m so glad that I kept my HBO subscription now.

Edit: shameful page snipe. Show is boss.

For some reason, this post motivated me to pull the trigger on getting the paperback original. Maybe cuz I'm watching with someone who has seen the movie but like doesn't remember any of it, maybe the book will help.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Trieus daughter is obviously a clone, right?

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

Trieus daughter is obviously a clone, right?

Given timing and assumed backstory, I'm sticking with that she's a clone of her mother, not herself, and that the drug (same as the pills) helps her remember things. (literally what Will said).

Her daughter is her mother, the woman the Comedian killed.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh

Oh God

Yea the dream she had was a clone memory, but I thought it was a memory Lady Triue had. :stare:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Bushido Brown posted:

Given timing and assumed backstory, I'm sticking with that she's a clone of her mother, not herself, and that the drug (same as the pills) helps her remember things. (literally what Will said).

ooooooh gently caress

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

That would explain why Will wanted Angela to take the pills, it would cause her to remember hereditary memories. ...? Sure, I'll allow it

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Oh my god. Just read the Peteypedia update now. Just do it.

Nite Owl made the giant blue dick as a final gently caress you when he and Laurie broke up...

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 11, 2019

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Bushido Brown posted:

It's kind of like pointing out a single grain of sand on a beach but that reeks of fan-fiction syndrome, you're probably right.

edit: I guess it'd be covered by thermodynamic miracle.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*slides into a curbside drainage opening*

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
Easter egg, I guess: I don't recall exactly how the geography worked out in the comics, other than that the squid's tentacles reached all the way to Madison Square Garden, but Peteypedia places "ground zero of the Dimensional Incursion Event at the intersection of 40th Street and Seventh Avenue," just south of Times Square, home of Midtown Comics.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Just popping in to say that the scene with Veidt fishing rubbery babies from a lake and then microwaving them into full clones while listening to reggae was fuckin' great.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Just popping in to say that the scene with Veidt fishing rubbery babies from a lake and then microwaving them into full clones while listening to reggae was fuckin' great.

throwing them back like undersized crabs was a stroke of genius.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I'm a little confused about the level of knowledge people have about the characters from the original comic. People keep referring to Laurie as "FBI Lady" and most people seem unaware as to who she actually is even though she's not trying to hide it at all. Obviously Dr. Manhattan is a household name, and it seems like Veidt and Rorschach are as well. There are only a couple others who associated with them, wouldn't every single person in western civilization know who Laurie is and at least the basics of what her story is? She is one of only two people who publicly dated (they were on magazine covers and whatnot!) the godlike super-powered being in their universe. Shouldn't everyone know who she is? How is it possible that a seemingly well educated police officer/vigilante like Angela has absolutely no idea?

Caros
May 14, 2008

bbf2 posted:

I'm a little confused about the level of knowledge people have about the characters from the original comic. People keep referring to Laurie as "FBI Lady" and most people seem unaware as to who she actually is even though she's not trying to hide it at all. Obviously Dr. Manhattan is a household name, and it seems like Veidt and Rorschach are as well. There are only a couple others who associated with them, wouldn't every single person in western civilization know who Laurie is and at least the basics of what her story is? She is one of only two people who publicly dated (they were on magazine covers and whatnot!) the godlike super-powered being in their universe. Shouldn't everyone know who she is? How is it possible that a seemingly well educated police officer/vigilante like Angela has absolutely no idea?

I'd say a significant length of time, coupled with the name change probably helps. It has been over three decades since Manhattan left for mars, and she doesn't seem to have remained in the limelight since. People think Laurie they think silk spectre crime fighting brunette bombshell, not seventy year old FBI agent with a different last name.

Also, knowing that she is supposed to be seventy in the show somehow makes the Petey scene from the last episode slightly more yikes.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
lube guy rules

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Lady Trieu and Will are working together on a time travel machine. Trieu wants to stop the US from taking over Vietnam and Will wants to stop the Tulsa massacre.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

exmarx posted:

lube guy rules

Astro Glider!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope lube guy remains completely unexplained for the rest of the series.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

I'm curious if the director told Jeremy Irons to do his best Christopher Lloyd or whether that's just a happy accident

This is what I think every time he opens his mouth and I love it.

I also love lube guy.

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007
If Lady Trieu and Will Reeves are working on something that causes people to experience hereditary memories, that neatly parallels the way Dr Manhattan experiences time in the comics. Flicking between present and past. I could see that working well with the theme of generational trauma.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Cute reference that I caught last night, the stuffed animal that Angela's kid gives her when they're in the bunk beds was Ozy's purple genetically modified lynx, Bubastis.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I think Lube Guy is the young FBI agent along with Laurie. He has the right build and showed up in town the same time that Lube Guy did

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
To expand on what I was thinking last week, in episode 4 Veidt said he's been there for 4 years, and he's had an anniversary cake every episode. Veidt was missing for 7 years before being declared dead, so all the Veidt scenes so far are leading to the present in episode 7 (also episode 1 since that's where Manhattan finally crumbles the mansion) in three episodes time. Will also said he'd tell Angela what he'd done in three days. Basically some wild poo poo is going down in episode 7/8 (and previews stopped at episode 6 to not spoil)

Also please his name is Lubeman

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
What if he has cake every day because the first thing he tells the clones when he picks them up is that it's their birthday.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That wouldn’t jive as well with them saying “anniversary” and the increasing candles imo

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

blue squares posted:

I think Lube Guy is the young FBI agent along with Laurie. He has the right build and showed up in town the same time that Lube Guy did

I almost posted that before, but i couldn't get past him being in the door of the office just a little bit later.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lube man is dr Manhattan

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

ElNarez posted:

What if he has cake every day because the first thing he tells the clones when he picks them up is that it's their birthday.

He said this episode it has been 4 years since he came to that place. This week's cake had 4 candles.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love how Angela and I both said "What the gently caress?" at the exact same time after spotting Lubeman.

e: But yeah, it's definitely Agent Get-Me-a-Thomas-Middleditch-Type in the lube-suit. He's way too into costumed heroes to not want to be one himself. Also, they loving nail Watchmen fandom with him every time. His dismissive, frustrated, and arrogant attitude toward the Minutemen's TV portrayal was beautiful.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 11, 2019

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Szmitten posted:

To expand on what I was thinking last week, in episode 4 Veidt said he's been there for 4 years, and he's had an anniversary cake every episode. Veidt was missing for 7 years before being declared dead, so all the Veidt scenes so far are leading to the present in episode 7 (also episode 1 since that's where Manhattan finally crumbles the mansion) in three episodes time. Will also said he'd tell Angela what he'd done in three days. Basically some wild poo poo is going down in episode 7/8 (and previews stopped at episode 6 to not spoil)

Also please his name is Lubeman

So if episode 1 is Manhattan destroying Veidt's prison, that means that Veidt has been around since then.

So where is he?

Could it be that the statue we just saw of him, looking like the current aged Veidt, is actually him and he was transformed into it?

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Codependent Poster posted:

So if episode 1 is Manhattan destroying Veidt's prison, that means that Veidt has been around since then.

So where is he?

Could it be that the statue we just saw of him, looking like the current aged Veidt, is actually him and he was transformed into it?

On a ship traveling from mars to Tulsa that just crashed into that farm.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Gonz posted:

*slides into a curbside drainage opening*

I literally said "The gently caress?" 2 seconds before Night did. I am obsessed with silver lubed dick man.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

everydayfalls posted:

On a ship traveling from mars to Tulsa that just crashed into that farm.

This is it. Convinced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Which part from episode one are we interpreting as Manhattan destroying Veidt's prison?

Im caught up but I must have missed that