Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Someone said Morales stuffed the supreme court with people sympathetic to him but

quote:

Artículo 182.

I. Las Magistradas y los Magistrados del Tribunal Supremo de Justicia serán elegidas y elegidos mediante sufragio universal.

"The Magistrates of the Supreme Court of Justice shall be elected by universal suffrage"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
it sure is weird that a country with some of the largest lithium deposits in the world that’s also nationalized said mining would get couped like that.

weird.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

it sure is weird that a country with some of the largest lithium deposits in the world that’s also nationalized said mining would get couped like that.

weird.

look gyges might have this magic ring, but we can't actually know that he or any of his friends who know about it would ever take advantage of it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Bernie has promised to reverse the coup, if elected.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i like to think i'm actually pretty educable and appreciate the effort by the dudes in the dnd thread when i ask questions or when things happen i don't ask questions about, i'm just not terribly interested in enduring performative jeers hereabouts so I mostly just lurk and read the occasional actual content

as opposed to, you know

The issue is that there's a built-in higher level of trust in mainstream narratives that will repeatedly and inevitably lead you to the wrong conclusion on issues like this (or previously Venezuela). It's understandable to have this flawed perspective at some point, since most people in the US do, but it stops being an excuse after you've engaged with people arguing from other perspectives and see the extent to which all mainstream US reporting on these topics is propaganda to an extent likely exceeding that of sources like teleSUR (largely because the US is coming from a significantly worse ideological perspective, what with being explicitly right-wing and all). In practice, a "US media is flawed/biased, but so is teleSUR and Morales maybe had some issues so who can really say what the truth is" opinion is a right-wing one, in the same way that it would be right-wing if someone said "well, I don't trust white supremacists, but these non-white supremacists are also sometimes iffy so who can really say who is right and who is wrong."

The most important take-away from these situations should be that you should always default to opposing any sort of US-approved "regime change"/coup, especially if the government being replaced is even remotely considered left-wing. It isn't somehow more reasonable to be "neutral" on the topic, because "neutrality" in these situations is effectively support for the status quo. Non-democratic change of remotely democratic government is the sort of thing that should always be treated as a bad thing absent some extremely strong proof that it's "valid," and "bad things about the prior government" do not constitute an excuse for a coup (and that's even if you believe such things, when most sources for that kind of information should be taken with a huge grain of salt). It isn't somehow rude or bad to not blindly trust what some random English-speaking person from the country in question says; the voices of the supporters for coups or US intervention have always been used to try and affect US public opinion, even with stuff like the Iraq War.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/neoliberal_dad/status/1193756079219453952

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1193763179916079104?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

megalodong posted:

Someone said Morales stuffed the supreme court with people sympathetic to him but

"The Magistrates of the Supreme Court of Justice shall be elected by universal suffrage"

He stuffed the electorate with his supporters, very dictatorial.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MintPressNews/status/1193729237779386368

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i like to think i'm actually pretty educable and appreciate the effort by the dudes in the dnd thread when i ask questions or when things happen i don't ask questions about, i'm just not terribly interested in enduring performative jeers hereabouts so I mostly just lurk and read the occasional actual content

as opposed to, you know

So have you managed to figure out whether the democratically elected president who has fought tirelessly for the poor and the minorities or the rightwing fascist junta that's currently trying to purge the left by way of show trials and massive violence are the bad guys yet?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/evagolinger/status/1193704121565696000?s=19

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

as opposed to, you know

this is exactly the same as folks who are all “just asking questions about the shape of black peoples skills” and “WOW, guess I gotta support racism because these SJWs are so mean to me” and honestly no one here expected any different from you.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/evoespueblo/status/1193843819575427073

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Yeah well liberals have already accepted that the "democratic process" is already on schedule so good luck getting them to care about this.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the people supporting the opposition and trying to square that with “we love democracy, but it had to be stopped by the military” and “I’m not a nazi just cause I support a party with tons of nazis in it” is a sight to behold

:discourse:

also someone brought up one of the Venezuela thread regulars not having scrubbed his account and turning out to be a white as gently caress perfect English speaking guy in another country. was it the original creator of the Venezuela thread or the guy with the eagle avatar (can’t remember their names sorry)

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/evoespueblo/status/1193848492575334406

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Condiv posted:

the people supporting the opposition and trying to square that with “we love democracy, but it had to be stopped by the military” and “I’m not a nazi just cause I support a party with tons of nazis in it” is a sight to behold

:discourse:

also someone brought up one of the Venezuela thread regulars not having scrubbed his account and turning out to be a white as gently caress perfect English speaking guy in another country. was it the original creator of the Venezuela thread or the guy with the eagle avatar (can’t remember their names sorry)

it was fnox, i think his excuse was that he was a venezuelan "expat" living in sweden which means he's the child of some gusano at best. his family probably stood to make out well if the coup went off without a hitch.

and yeah that guy claiming to be a bolivian not knowing that one of the top opposition leaders is an out-and-out nazi was pretty funny

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's unbolivable but sabine mengele-eichmann's ghost lives on

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

it was fnox, i think his excuse was that he was a venezuelan "expat" living in sweden which means he's the child of some gusano at best. his family probably stood to make out well if the coup went off without a hitch.

and yeah that guy claiming to be a bolivian not knowing that one of the top opposition leaders is an out-and-out nazi was pretty funny

I got a month probation for doubting fnox and refusing to commit to “maduro is clearly evil” messaging. it kinda sucks that ppj decided that the gusanos in the venezuela thread of yore were trustworthy and decided to punish me for being a skeptic

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"believe people from that country" is such a brain-dead retort because it flattens class and ideological distinctions, hides motives, and occludes how that person is in a position to talk to you over the internet in the first place

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao i had no idea fnox had been streaming himself playing games showing everything he said was full of poo poo

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

I'm p sure that guy is a getfiscal rereg because no one else could generate such aggressively confident and perfectly incorrect naïveté

retract this baseless insult against getfiscal immediately

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

it's so odd that those threads never seem to get posters claiming to be from one of the many latin american countries under the yoke of brutal neo-liberal austerity/openly fascist governments. every time there's a left wing government to topple there just happens to be some native lurker who has so much to say about how bad the current government is, but apparently there are no native hondurans or brazilians who read this dead forum. very strange!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

lmao i had no idea fnox had been streaming himself playing games showing everything he said was full of poo poo

lmao holy poo poo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

it's so odd that those threads never seem to get posters claiming to be from one of the many latin american countries under the yoke of brutal neo-liberal austerity/openly fascist governments. every time there's a left wing government to topple there just happens to be some native lurker who has so much to say about how bad the current government is, but apparently there are no native hondurans or brazilians who read this dead forum. very strange!

I made a BRPOL thread in this very subforum dude

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also I know at leas half a dozen Chilean and Argie goons from different subforums

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Plutonis posted:

yeah sorry that was a pretty lovely post, i didn't realize that d&d thread was actually really old and figured it was a new version of the venezuela thread made in response to the current situation in bolivia. there are actually plenty of posts about brazilian politics in it.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Plutonis posted:

Yes but are you really brazilian?? Now excuse me I wanna get the straight dope on Latin America from Johann Höss-Fraticelli, who is a certified LatinX Anericab

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

"believe people from that country" is such a brain-dead retort because it flattens class and ideological distinctions, hides motives, and occludes how that person is in a position to talk to you over the internet in the first place

It's a really dipshit deference to authenticity. As if the "authenticity" of somebody's identity should mean all your convictions go flying out the window.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If Sabine Mengele-Eichman says Morales is a new Hitler then who am I to question that? I'm a good gringo and an ally.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's a really dipshit deference to authenticity. As if the "authenticity" of somebody's identity should mean all your convictions go flying out the window.

im imagining someone trying to understand the usa by taking what Average Americans say at face value and im nodding thoughtfully

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

im imagining someone trying to understand the usa by taking what Average Americans say at face value and im nodding thoughtfully

that's how youtube works yes

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the appropriate analogy there would be some foreigner talking to a born-into-wealth manhattaner and coming away from it thinking americans are deeply worried about the dictatorial inheritance tax and landlord's rights

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

:killing:

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Andres Oppenheimer huh

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like my dictatorships with runoff elections.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

the appropriate analogy there would be some foreigner talking to a born-into-wealth manhattaner and coming away from it thinking americans are deeply worried about the dictatorial inheritance tax and landlord's rights

That's somewhat how Portugal reports on US matters, at least the Globo funded one. Thankfully today I arrive home later than 9 pm, so I'll avoid them doing poo poo like hearing a indigenous person describe avoiding death squads and the narrator describing it as "upset they can no longer have their traditional diet".

Kunster has issued a correction as of 14:31 on Nov 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Surprisingly decent article on that expat nutbar in Chile from WaPo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/11/11/john-cobin-chile-shooting-protesters-video/

Make it to the end for some bonus ACAB