Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Azza Bamboo posted:

I like the idea of voluntary euthanasia being legal after a certain age cutoff. I'd like to have the mercy to choose my date of death, have that be known and prepared for, and to thereby avoid the indignity and suffering of a slow demise to age related disease which is the end most people will have.

As opposed to some posters here who apparently would like to shove you in the gas chamber personallyexclude you from the political process once you become unworthy of life too old unable to properly vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Might sound boring but I'd prefer to see the franchise increased rather than decreased tbh; both in terms of the the 30%-60% of the population who don't vote and the millions who aren't allowed to.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Rustybear posted:

Might sound boring but I'd prefer to see the franchise increased rather than decreased tbh; both in terms of the the 30%-60% of the population who don't vote and the millions who aren't allowed to.

does mandatory voting make Australian politics substantially different from other Anglophone countries

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Howard_Goodall/status/1193857121139470337?s=19

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Rustybear posted:

Mandatory voting a la Australia has always sounded reasonable to me, and I see no reason not to extend the franchise to 16.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm kind of hoping that :clegg: will mean that despite their insistence on not propping up Corbyn, the lib dems would actually definitely do so if it got them back into government

What I was thinking as well. If there is an hung parliament with a potential LAB+LD majority, the LD could try to spin it as "we forced LAB to call a 2nd ref" or all the rest of their "we are the true remain party" stuff. Then they would probably put obstacles to the real policies that would bring a 2nd ref based on some kind of nebulous principles, and try to leverage that into more gains in another early election.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

ronya posted:

does mandatory voting make Australian politics substantially different from other Anglophone countries

The demographic of ppl who vote in Australia is largely the same as ours? What point are you making here?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Miftan posted:

Yeah, probably unintentionally, but very ableist. Tying it to age is a bit sketchy as well since olds will get massively hosed, but considering how they're currently loving the younger generations I really can't blame anyone who thinks like this. Probably the best thing is to restrict the vote of anyone who makes over 100k and abolish private property imo

Yes I worded it badly. I meant more 'of an age at which it is legal to work', not 'only people who can work'.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*watching Australia burn while the prime minister claims global warming is fake* we should take a leaf out of this book

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rustybear posted:

The demographic of ppl who vote in Australia is largely the same as ours? What point are you making here?

That mandatory voting is a thing there and they still have a lovely right wing government, I think.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

ronya posted:

You get shitloads of donkey votes because of it though, so it’s also flawed, especially when the incumbent government is the first option and will always get the 1 if you aren’t doing 2 party preferred.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's very anti-Semitic that the UK doesn't make it so only ethnically Jewish people can vote, and Corbyn is obviously responsible.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Hi, I've worked in broadcast for about 12 years including live news and the BBC's story that they "accidentally" used 3 year old footage instead of the correct one is (obviously) complete and utter bollocks.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
This is legitimately bad for Corbyn. More moderate leavers might vote for Labour with their current agenda, but not standing in Conservative seats mean the frothing gammon wing won't be split across two parties anymore.

Probably the best news DePfeffel has had all month.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

You get shitloads of donkey votes because of it though, so it’s also flawed, especially when the incumbent government is the first option and will always get the 1 if you aren’t doing 2 party preferred.

This can be solved by using randomised ballots, although it does make ballot counting slower. And electronic voting is still troublesome.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

It's very anti-Semitic that the UK doesn't make it so only ethnically Jewish people can vote, and Corbyn is obviously responsible.

Even Israel hasn't gone that far yet.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Miftan posted:

That mandatory voting is a thing there and they still have a lovely right wing government, I think.

Well maybe they should extend the vote to teenagers, migrants etc etc and see if that helps.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I do hope one day we reach the point where everyone can safely and securely vote via an app or phone service. I know it'd open the floodgates to hackers etc but the process as it is now is, for a lot of people, onerous and out of line with how people interact with the world.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

Even Israel hasn't gone that far yet.

Yeah, just always love the irony of "Jewish democracy" when it's an either-or situation.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

I do hope one day we reach the point where everyone can safely and securely vote via an app or phone service. I know it'd open the floodgates to hackers etc but the process as it is now is, for a lot of people, onerous and out of line with how people interact with the world.

Invest in votecoin.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What's a donkey vote?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jippa posted:

What's a donkey vote?

In mandatory voting, someone who doesn't give a poo poo will usually tick the top box on the paper without looking at who it is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

I like the idea of voluntary euthanasia being legal after a certain age cutoff. I'd like to have the mercy to choose my date of death, have that be known and prepared for, and to thereby avoid the indignity and suffering of a slow demise to age related disease which is the end most people will have.

Yes someone will abuse it or bully granny into dying, but I think on the whole the good it will do far outweighs the few shitheads out there.
:agreed:

And that age should be the age of majority. It's directly ablist (as well as ridiculous) that we say that it's no longer illegal for a healthy person to end their own life, but someone who is disabled or terminally ill and would require assistance to end their life is prevented from doing so.

With our current state of affairs you end up with the ridiculous situation where police harass sick people into an early death because they were making preparation to die at a time of their choosing, way to save a life tru hearoes!

Also there's pretty decent evidence that if you start to take away the stigma around it you actually get less people wanting to end their lives, and far less people attempting to do so through dangerous methods that leave them incapacitated rather than dead or that harm others.

Tesseraction posted:

How would you determine who is ethnically Jewish? Trawl their twitter for references to klezmer beigels? I bet IBM would help.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Azza Bamboo posted:

Yes someone will abuse it or bully granny into dying, but I think on the whole the good it will do far outweighs the few shitheads out there.

I don't get the age cutoff here - assisted suicide should just be legal. A right to life should be a right to die too.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Mainly tho zero interest in debating the weirdo system of a poisonous continent inhabited for less than 100 years by mostly white settlers as the be-all end-all on the moral right of all capable adults to have some small say in the governance of the place they live.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Jippa posted:

What's a donkey vote?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RockyB posted:

Probably the best news DePfeffel has had all month.

Implying Johnson didn't outright bribe Farage for this. I wonder what he offered.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Diet Crack posted:

That is straight up not true if you're talking about Australia. Percentage of donkey votes here isn't particularly high, ballot order is randomised, so nobody is guaranteed first spot, and I don't even understand your point about two party preferred because that's just a method of figuring out who got the first and second most votes, not a voting method.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Tesseraction posted:

In mandatory voting, someone who doesn't give a poo poo will usually tick the top box on the paper without looking at who it is.

BRB, registering the Aaaa Party.

Ms Adequate posted:

Just saw and came to post this.

In short: loving finally. Slimy wanker.

This comment made me smile, cos it reminded me of the Vurt books

HauntedRobot fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 11, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Implying Johnson didn't outright bribe Farage for this. I wonder what he offered.

Likely he reminded Farage that no deal can still happen on February 1 and preventing a hung parliament or Labour majority means preventing a second Benn Act.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HauntedRobot posted:

Ballots are sorted on candidate surname, so you'll need to register the Aardvark Family Party and have a lot of people with deed polls.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

HauntedRobot posted:

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! — A Reckless Disregard for Capital

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Ballots are sorted on candidate surname, so you'll need to register the Aardvark Family Party and have a lot of people with deed polls.
Conservatives to run Aatrek as candidate.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Candidates Aaron, Abbas, Abbey, Abbott, and Abdel.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmfao https://twitter.com/TheMediaTweets/status/1193874100688584705

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Diet Crack posted:

Bring the prince of Wales out of sea trials and send it straight to Bolivia, it’s time for some VTOL bombing runs
Tory time hulk smash!

My brain thinks takeoff is one word so I always parse that acronym as Vertical Takeoff Or Landing.

You don't get both, flyboy :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They should all stand as the independent brexit candidate.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Continuity Brexit Party Candidate

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
post your favourite lyrics from this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D79IrmumF8

mine is "We fought in one, two world wars. We're going to live forever like Santa Claus"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

If the whole "8 billion cartel betting on brexit" thing is true, Farage almost certainly has a shoe in the game as well.

The big question is, if it honestly looks like remaining PM is going to cost the conservatives the opportunity to deliver brexit, would Boris step down and take the money, or cling on to power?

HauntedRobot posted:

New local candidate A Aaron Aaronson announces they are standing in every constituency.