Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Those are some very lovely pictures.

quote:

So, So SO many arachnids. We'd see them in the dark from our headlamps - it wasn't dewdrops shining on the ground but thousands of spider eyes everywhere. I uh, am still getting over my arachnophobia so that was still a bit creepy.
You spontaneously stumbled over a classic arachnologists' trick there. If you hold a flashlight at eye level, ideally right to the side of your head, the mono-eyes of spiders will reflect right back in the direction of your own eyes. It's very useful at night.

So yeah, that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Feel free to drop those in the mushroom thread! I can’t do much for ID from my phone but I can try after work.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850811

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

quote:

So, So SO many arachnids. We'd see them in the dark from our headlamps - it wasn't dewdrops shining on the ground but thousands of spider eyes everywhere.
The way I see it, a moment like that should just underscore the fact that if we were truly enemies with the spiders we would stand no chance and humanity would have perished long ago. It's best to embrace our common cause in the foreverwar against the annoying flying insects and just try to avoid walking into webs like some kind of idiot flightless moth

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

the yeti posted:

Feel free to drop those in the mushroom thread! I can’t do much for ID from my phone but I can try after work.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850811

Thank you! Will do!

poverty goat posted:

The way I see it, a moment like that should just underscore the fact that if we were truly enemies with the spiders we would stand no chance and humanity would have perished long ago. It's best to embrace our common cause in the foreverwar against the annoying flying insects and just try to avoid walking into webs like some kind of idiot flightless moth

I definitely felt like an idiot, I ran into so many webs. I wasn't irritated when retaliation happened - a few webs were built on my equipment while I was sleeping, and my arm while I was reading.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Chaosfeather posted:

and my arm while I was reading.
"Stoopid hoomin, you like webs? I'll give you webs!"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Had this woodpecker show up in my apple tree this morning (excuse the noises in the background my son was EXTREMELY excited about this guy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfUR8iRz6Fg

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Suddenly started seeing these not so little dudes around the house...

Any ideas what they are?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's a bog-standard house centipede. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata

They're harmless and sort of useful, they hunt pests. Don't worry, they're not aggressive. They're practically blind, so if you see one seemingly running at you, it means that it wants to hide in your shadow.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

That's a bog-standard house centipede. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata

They're harmless and sort of useful, they hunt pests.

Ah. Weird that i've never seen them before now after living in this house for decades. Thanks!

Whoa... They live 3-7 years!!!

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 18, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No prob. As to where they could have come from, did you get any new furniture recently (possible used,) or maybe some decorations like hollow clay statuettes? Like a surprising number of other arthropods, they do actually nearly only live in human houses.

The well-known Giant House Spider, for example, is originally adapted to cave-dwelling - little prey, little moisture, little in the way of predators. They never go outside if they have the choice, they can't really survive there. This means that they really don't travel between houses except in exceptional cases. The way house spiders colonize a new dwelling is by having people take them there, either due to hiding in a typical moving box or in the form of an unhatched cocoon of eggs that was hidden in a hollow in some furniture that took along from your old dwelling.

They're the quintessential synanthrope: an animal that isn't domesticated by humans, but can be found practically everywhere that humans live, because we present a perfect ecosystem for them and create new ones where there previously weren't any. Without us, neither giant house spiders nor house centipedes would be a fraction as common as they are.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

Had this woodpecker show up in my apple tree this morning (excuse the noises in the background my son was EXTREMELY excited about this guy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfUR8iRz6Fg

Congrats on spotting a Red-Breasted Sapsucker outside of its usual habitat of seedy strip-clubs.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

McGavin posted:

Congrats on spotting a Red-Breasted Sapsucker outside of its usual habitat of seedy strip-clubs.

:lol:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Hmm... We remodeled one of our bathrooms a few weeks ago so maybe something hitched a ride from their warehouse. I don't mind them too much now that I know what they actually are. I'd just been calling them eyelash bugs before (which I know are something completely different)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's entirely possible. Arthropods like that also sometimes hitch a ride in things like toolboxes or any kind of electrical equipment that has hollows they could crawl into but that a person couldn't really get at without disassembling the whole thing. If you borrowed anything of that sort for the work, then that's also an possibility.

Well, in any case, enjoy your new house guests. Do not be surprised if you ever stumble across one and it seems to spontaneously fall apart. They use their legs like certain lizards use the tip of their tails.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

A fun fact about house centipedes is that their back legs have evolved to mimick antennae so well that they have almost as many sensory organs on them as the real ones and they're basically just extra butt antennae. Also they are true bros who will defend your home to the death so you should definitely help them out of the shower when they get stuck in there

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

The first time I saw a house centipede it freaked me out so much I killed and disposed of it since the cat was playing with it. Even if it couldn't bite the cat SURELY if the cat ate it it would ingest poison. Sorry and RIP little centipede, you were ultimately harmless.

This last weekend I went to NORTHERN NEBRASKA to the Sandhills region outside of Valentine. It's a fun place for hunters this time of year and I tagged out, but I'll spare you the pics and details. If you are interested at all please check out the hunting thread where I made a big ol effortpost.

Instead, please enjoy all of the fun, still-alive critters I met on scouting day.

We drove past a group of pheasant on the way out.
Beautiful birds, one of my favorites. They are also super delicious

The water table was very high this year, and although it's thawed a bit most of everything was still frozen. Everybird that does was migrating.

Having trouble IDing these guys. Snow geese? Swans of some sort?

Canada geese are easy to ID, thankfully.

Sadly didn't get a picture of the eagle that was hanging out in the morning, but snapped this red-tailed hawk when I spotted em.

All of the amphibians came out to play when the day warmed up!
Teeny ones

Big ones

And very squirmy ones. Not that I blame them

Finally, and ultimately, we saw more deer than I've seen in my entirety of living in Southern California. Behold.

Happy Tresspassing ones

Hungry ones

Thirsty ones

Peekaboo ones

Stealthy ones

Speedy ones

Wide bois

And a very, very photogenic boi (even if he was a bit ticked off)

Lastly, I think this is a form of nightshade? Just a wild guess, I'll ID it when I get home. Still out and about and I fly back to the warm tomorrow. A very good trip. Edit: Thanks for the ID!

A view of our stalking grounds, we were ultimately successful and harvested a small buck. We were quite lucky since poachers decided to drive their drat truck onto the reserve.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 25, 2019

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Chaosfeather posted:

Lastly, I think this is a form of nightshade? Just a wild guess, I'll ID it when I get home. Still out and about and I fly back to the warm tomorrow. A very good trip.

This is a rose hip, i.e. the fruit of a wild rose.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

As promised, pics from today's outing. It was misting/raining and cold but always good to get out in it. Not nearly as many fox squirrels out thanks to the weather, but here's 3 of the 4 trash pandas we saw

Otherwise plenty of birds to listen to as the branch bubbled behind us. No deer, unfortunately, but the view is amazing.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Crossposting here and the Mushroom Megathread

From a walk in Killbear Provincial Park, Ontario, last October (i.e. more than a year ago). Mostly an exercise in A) taking pictures and then B) ignoring said pictures on my harddrive for a long time.
SD 194 Killbear PP 03 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 194 Killbear PP 04 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 194 Killbear PP 07 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

plus a tiny fly.
SD 194 Killbear PP 09 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 194 Killbear PP 10 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

and a bird that some good Goons suggest is a Swainson's Thrush. Probably a juvenile loading up on autumn seeds/berries/bugs for the trip south.
SD 194 Killbear PP 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I just made a neat little video of (I think) a Common Bussard catching a starling of some sort in my garden and plucking it on the lawn. Can someone recommend a good method extracting some short clips from that to present in this thread? I'm afraid I know all of jack poo poo about video editing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cardiovorax posted:

I just made a neat little video of (I think) a Common Bussard catching a starling of some sort in my garden and plucking it on the lawn. Can someone recommend a good method extracting some short clips from that to present in this thread? I'm afraid I know all of jack poo poo about video editing.

Post the whole thing to youtube and make us watch 30 minutes of bird things.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Old picture of bird I forgot to post
Little Blue Heron among the golden grass by Hector, on Flickr

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

there's a mushroom thread? link please

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Leperflesh posted:

there's a mushroom thread? link please

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850811&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh it's in take a hike, no wonder I didn't easily find it lol

thanks!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/elburbo_/status/1202677633852596224

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I started seeing a few Juncos in my backyard so I put up a bird feeder and this morning there was a big flock of them hanging around. :woop:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Forgot to post these pelicans from a summer trip to Elk Island.

Enjoying the birds around our feeders this winter, as usual!

Blep.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

My new years resolution is to get back into hiking maybe start bird wathcing and just generally taking photos of random critters. To start off I thought I'd share some I took a while back.

Some kind of katydid? In western Perth, Australia.

Some kind of jewel beetle near Albany, Western Australia.

Australian pitcher plant, some swamps a ways north of the previous pic.

Big ole boss roo chilling above some sea cliffs.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm in Florida surrounded by anoles but they are jerks and won't let me get a good photo

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

poverty goat posted:

I'm in Florida surrounded by anoles but they are jerks and won't let me get a good photo

I love that they look like boring brown or green lizards, unless there's a lady lizard around, in which case the boys whip out their absurd looking dewlaps.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It’s easy to get close up photos if you have a jerk of a cat that constantly brings the poor guys into the house to harass them, and you have to carry em back out.

They don't appreciate it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That back... foot? Claw? Is one hell of a weird shape. I've never seen that up close like that before.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's like the first time you see a rat's paws up close. From a distsnce you think, oh cute little paw like a cat or whatever. Up close? Long, fleshy pink fingers.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Can't believe there's no new posts in here for months. I got a bug for entomologists to ID for me. Found it on my deck tonight, about 2.5 inches long in central Massachusetts. I tried picking it up to get a better look at it, but I was startled by its flailing legs and it scampered off under the deck.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

In the vernacular it’s a predacious diving beetle but I’m not sure what species are in your area.

According to Wikipedia some of ‘em are edible! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dytiscidae

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Definitely a diving beetle of some kind and thankfully not the stabby kind! Maybe one of these?

https://bugguide.net/node/view/14513

drat, yeti beat me to it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Spring is around the corner so I hope to start seeing and taking more pictures soon!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Oh neat! A diving beetle of some sort definitely seems likely, as there's a large pond across the road from my house, and plenty of leaf litter on the edges of the property for them to hide in. I'm still shocked as to the size of the thing. When I first noted it I thought it was a piece of plastic that had fallen off of something, but closer inspection revealed it was a beetle friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Predaceous diving beetle, not predacious diving beetle, but yeah, that's definitely the kind of beetle that it is. Excellent example of what we call a "banded diving beetle" where I live that you've got there. Beautiful.