Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fhqwhgads posted:

Systems that work to cripple supply lines / happiness / whatever game mechanics there are sound great against humans but are worthless against AI that doesn't play by the same rules / care about said mechanics. I've never seen an espionage system that was anything other than an annoyance.

I'm playing my first Lithoid Terravore and it was a shitload of fun in the beginning but now I'm understanding the problem I was reading about a few pages back about micromanagement. I've devoured about half the universe so far and I've stopped colonizing planets or going on the offensive because I simply don't want to deal with managing any more systems. My current worry is that the Advanced AI that I've completely enveloped is going to go on the warpath when I'm not ready. Its fleets are well over 100k and my best is currently about 20k. How do you deal with the eventual attack of the Advanced AI? Hope you get Gateways at all their points of entry into your system and maxed out Battleships before that happens?
By "Advanced AI" do you mean a Fallen Empire? Or a Marauder faction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

By "Advanced AI" do you mean a Fallen Empire? Or a Marauder faction?

Sorry, I've been reading more of the wiki and realized I mean Fallen Empire. Militant Isolationist specifically in this game. The other Fallen empire is on the other side of the galaxy and isn't an immediate concern.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fhqwhgads posted:

Sorry, I've been reading more of the wiki and realized I mean Fallen Empire. Militant Isolationist specifically in this game. The other Fallen empire is on the other side of the galaxy and isn't an immediate concern.
No need to apologize, I was just making sure because it makes a difference! I have not played through to lategame recently (most of my games peter out by 2350, and in my experience FEs never do anything that early unless you prod them) so I am not the best to answer. But, from my memory, there is only a chance that they wake up and come after you. Your fleet power will ramp up over time and I do not think the FEs will wake up until lategame when some big events start happening.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I do not think the FEs will wake up until lategame when some big events start happening.

The FEs will wake up when:

1. Lategame big events start;
2. You make it to endgame with no lategame events starting (oddly);
3. Someone not a fallen empire's fleet power crosses a threshold; or
4. Someone not a fallen empire conquers a fallen empire's world.

#3 tends to be what wakes up the FEs in my games.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Turn mid game events to 2250 and end game to 2325

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Darkrenown posted:

I think about Moo3 all the time, I actually came up with my username to register for the pre-release Moo3 forums.

Also, sorry for not posting for ages. A lot of stuff happened after vacations and the TLDR is I am qutting PDS, so I have slacked off on my extra work of collecting feedback.

Thanks for confirming you're leaving paradox to start an indie moo3 spiritual remake project, looking forward to it dude!

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Fhqwhgads posted:

Fallen empires won’t do anything unless you trigger specific things (I believe with militant isolationists it’s colonizing a world near them). If you’re only at 20k then you’re probably not far enough along for them to awaken.

Fallen empires won’t take your land if you end up at war with them. Since non awakened FEs can’t replace their fleets it’s can be worthwhile to suicide your fleet into theirs, loot the debris for FE tech, and surrender. They’ll kill your emperor but that’s easily manageable and you’ll come out far ahead in tech. You can wear them down with attrition and eventually take their worlds.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So I've got a weird situation.

Larger version of the above

See my navy on the right and the planets on the left? Well for some reason my navy is stuck in a loop because it's trying to attack the enemy armies but it's not moving towards them. I've exited and restarted the game and it's still stuck like this. The only option I can think of is to retreat the navy. That'll make it vanish for a year or more, and since it's basically half my navy and I'm in a war against three nations that is a very bad option. Anyone have ideas on what to do?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TTBF posted:

So I've got a weird situation.

Larger version of the above

See my navy on the right and the planets on the left? Well for some reason my navy is stuck in a loop because it's trying to attack the enemy armies but it's not moving towards them. I've exited and restarted the game and it's still stuck like this. The only option I can think of is to retreat the navy. That'll make it vanish for a year or more, and since it's basically half my navy and I'm in a war against three nations that is a very bad option. Anyone have ideas on what to do?
This has happened to me. A lot. The station that you own/control/whatever should be shooting its missile(s) at the transports and get them to gently caress off eventually, at which point your fleet will exit combat and you will regain control.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Awesome, thank you!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TTBF posted:

Awesome, thank you!
Well, I hope it works for you! You should be able to see if the station is actually shooting its missile(s) and/or guns if the army transports are close enough.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
*looks around*

For current stellaris version, but update will happen alongside the new game patch that comes with federations.
If you want in, throw me a steam friends invite. It's visible to friends only.

Early change notes: https://i.imgur.com/ffxMUF1.png

Guilliman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 11, 2019

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
(nevermind!)

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 11, 2019

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Did anything ever come from the Moregard twitter thing? I'm not interested in restarting the discussion, I just got busy when that was happening and never followed to see what, if anything, happened.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Well, I hope it works for you! You should be able to see if the station is actually shooting its missile(s) and/or guns if the army transports are close enough.

It didn't. 10 years later the war ended due to war exhaustion and that station never fired a single shot. I even invaded the planets, took ownership (I'm fanatic purifier), and began adding gun mods, missle mods, and the target uplink to increase the range. Nothing.

It really sucks because that was a war I absolutely would have crushed my enemies in. I sent my smaller fleet to guard the wormhole that one empire would go through. I sent one of my main fleets to deal with a different empire near that wormhole. Finally the last one (which is what got stuck) was sent down to capture the three systems the enemy had there, with their capital surrounded by a different fanatic purifier.

I watched as I went to take the first system, then that glitch happened. I watched as the small navy I was going to intercept just passed right around me and drove straight towards my capital. The smaller fleet by the wormhole was just supposed to buy time until that stuck fleet was done, and it ended up having to retreat. So I had just the main navy while the smaller fleet (which is relic created fallen empire fleets merged) repaired. That one fleet hosed up the wormhole invaders and the other nation there. I even got through the wormhole, ambushed a fleet, and managed to make it out.

Meanwhile the small fleet I wanted dead just drove straight to my capital. They managed to get past one of my bastions because it wasn't fully built up (i have not had more than four consecutive months between wars after the first one and can't both fill my fleets and make proper defenses) and then hit a bunch of wormholes to make their way to my capital. I watched as system after system transferred ownership.

I had the two fleets that weren't stuck go after the neighbor empire and attempt to drive the wormhole people fully back into that wormhole. I hit them hard enough that they ran out of alloys to refill their fleets and they were trying to retreat through the wormhole. I got all but one planet from the neighbor before the war exhaustion auto-peace kicked in. It actually kicked in right as I was slaughtering the remainder of the enemy fleets, which was putting me right on track to get all my stuff back. But I didn't because of that super annoying auto-peace mechanic.

After the peace deal was made, I was in permanent -1k monthly energy. My empire is cut in half, with my fleets not able to regroup at the capital once the borders close. It takes me 3 years to go from my capital to the system two jumps away. I have no access to The peace deal automatically ending has never pissed me off as much as it did right then. So I looked into declaring war right away and taking whatever penalty it gave me. But it won't let me truce break, so I can't do that either. I'm super upset. That glitch was 90% of what pissed me off, but wormholes were annoying enough that I'm never dealing with those things again.

This was my first fanatic purifiers game and I was very surprised at how fast and often people would declare war on me. I never had the chance to build up my forces, or my defenses, or set up proper research. I got most of my tech from looting my enemies. I was constantly running around and making do with much less than I'd have liked. I learned a lot about warfare and what I'm actually able to pull off. It was a super interesting game where I constantly felt on the backfoot while still managing to eek out victories. Then a glitch hosed me over and it was ironman so there was nothing i could do about it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
That bug sucks so much. The only reliable way I've found to unstuck fleets is to use the console to destroy the enemy ships paralyzing my fleets with the damage-cheat. It's clunky, but generally a couple corvettes or some tiny transport ships would have been blasted apart in seconds anyway, so I consider this purely a workaround, not actual cheating. :colbert:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah it's an insanely irritating bug. What looks like happens is the game gets confused about where the enemy fleet they're trying to fight actually is in the system (or at least the center of mass of that fight, since fleets don't seem to engage individual fleets, they engage the barycenter of all the enemy fleets). Then they get out of range of their weapons and stalemate each other. So stupid.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
I'm not getting a good feeling from Darkrenown's departure.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Gyrotica posted:

I'm not getting a good feeling from Darkrenown's departure.

Doing poo poo like the IP on trash phone games while veteran devs leave seems very much like a sinking ship scenario

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The only real hope is that they fix performance issues and other bugs before PDX quits the game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ulmont posted:

The FEs will wake up when:

1. Lategame big events start;
2. You make it to endgame with no lategame events starting (oddly);
3. Someone not a fallen empire's fleet power crosses a threshold; or
4. Someone not a fallen empire conquers a fallen empire's world.

#3 tends to be what wakes up the FEs in my games.

So, what's the deal with #3, out of curiosity? Do they just start attacking you to cut you down to size, or? Since I've only actually finished one game (stopped playing it for a long time after release; since around release I only played during the early- to mid-game, seeing as it became pretty bland after that point) and in that game I had a War in Heaven between two of the FEs. So I assume that would be your option #2 - however it was still immediately followed by the unbidden arriving, in my game.

Also, does anyone know what's happening with Darkrenown? i.e. where they're going? I remember seeing their name around the place, but wasn't aware of what level of contribution they were making, regarding the games.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

You cross a fire power threshold, usually about 30-40k in a fleet, they will start the process of becoming an awakened empire. This doesnt mean they are hostile, just that they are awake, and can build ships and expand once more.

DarkRenown and Wiz were two of the resident Stellaris Devs. I'm sure DarkRenown knows what he is doing, and why, but he isnt allowed to spill the beans there. Contract holds him from doing so, s well as professionalism.

You can look into meaning of the phrase below, but it would be conjecture.

Darkrenown posted:

Oh, no, Daniel is fine in person so I don't want you to think he caused this. Management on the Stellaris team is great. I don't mean to vaguepost, but NDA. I will say we had 5 veteran content designers on Stellaris 6 months ago, soon we'll have 1. 2 of us quit, one is on sabatical for a year, one got moved to CK3.

E: just a typo :D

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fhqwhgads posted:

Systems that work to cripple supply lines / happiness / whatever game mechanics there are sound great against humans but are worthless against AI that doesn't play by the same rules / care about said mechanics. I've never seen an espionage system that was anything other than an annoyance.

EL had a fun system, that was mostly fun since the AI ignored it meaning it was just an optional tool to dick with the enemy w/o having to worry about your own stuff. Very rarely, something would happen back to me, but it was always trivial since the AI didn't have the foresight to plan for longer term (ie bigger) exploits. So you press a button to murder the spy and move on with life.

That being said, yea, most espionage systems that are not a game unto themselves tend to suck.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 12, 2019

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

pmchem posted:

The only real hope is that they fix performance issues and other bugs before PDX quits the game.

ded game

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gyshall posted:

ded game

The reddit even has to consolidate all the complaints now: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/dut80v/the_faults_in_our_stellaris_a_megathread_to/

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

The surprise twist is that Vicky 3 and Stellaris 2 will be the same game, with the default FTL development path being a selectable or random planetary invasion scenario in 1913.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

So, what's the deal with #3, out of curiosity? Do they just start attacking you to cut you down to size, or? Since I've only actually finished one game (stopped playing it for a long time after release; since around release I only played during the early- to mid-game, seeing as it became pretty bland after that point) and in that game I had a War in Heaven between two of the FEs. So I assume that would be your option #2 - however it was still immediately followed by the unbidden arriving, in my game.

Also, does anyone know what's happening with Darkrenown? i.e. where they're going? I remember seeing their name around the place, but wasn't aware of what level of contribution they were making, regarding the games.

I've witnessed #3 and basically how it goes is once you can start regularly fielding fleets of Battleships with Tachyon Lances or Giga Cannons and have a Titan or 2 at your disposal you're basically equivalent in power to a Fallen Empire, and they don't like that. After a while they may straight up invade you but at that point you should be able to wipe the floor with them.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gyshall posted:

ded game

This but unironically

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Oh, no, Daniel is fine in person so I don't want you to think he caused this. Management on the Stellaris team is great. I don't mean to vaguepost, but NDA. I will say we had 5 vetern content designers on Stellaris 6 months ago, soon we'll have 1. 2 of us quit, one is on sabatical for a year, one got moved to CK3.

E: just a typo :D

I hope your life is okay. You can't answer questions I want to ask, but I wish paradox would do things to reduce the overall grief counter.

Maybe the secret project will be good.

:sad smith:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Gyshall posted:

ded game

No, not mine. Sorry.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

To be fair it always has done that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Major Isoor posted:

So, what's the deal with #3, out of curiosity? Do they just start attacking you to cut you down to size, or?

Depends on what their ethics are. For xenophobes, pretty much. For xenophiles, not really. They do all tend to want you to join their vassal club, but depending on your fleet power and opinion you might be able to tell them no with no consequences.

The War in Heaven is triggered by one empire awakening normally and their rival (opposite ethos) going "oh hell no." And a random roll.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

RIP Paradox dev studio, didn't survive going public and having shareholders :ohdear:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ham Sandwiches posted:

RIP Paradox dev studio, didn't survive going public and having shareholders :ohdear:

None of us did, RIP earth.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Apparently 2.6 will be called Verne, so now open for suggestions for thread titles that combine a much-loved author with the death of a games studio via capitalism.

Edit: I just discovered he wrote a story called Dick Sands: A Captain At Fifteen so go hog wild.

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 13, 2019

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Verne 2.6: 20,000 mods under the screen

Also:

Verne 2.6: Around the Outliner in 80 days

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 13, 2019

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003