Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I remember when Skeletron was the final boss of the game and I killed the big worm and eye of Cthulu to get gear to fight him.

I put something like 80 hours into the game and thought "yupp this is a full and good game and I more than got my moneys worth"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Eschenique posted:

I remember when Skeletron was the final boss of the game and I killed the big worm and eye of Cthulu to get gear to fight him.

I put something like 80 hours into the game and thought "yupp this is a full and good game and I more than got my moneys worth"

I bought the game on sale for like $2. It was like "oh it's that Terraria game people have been talking about, guess I'll try it." Hundreds of hours later...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
The fact that the (PC) game has never cost more than $10 to my memory really helps. It's a lot easier to take a chance on an unknown name when it's not $60+tax+a bunch of overpriced DLC that should have been in the main game.

I think that I paid the full :10bux: for it, and it was during a period of time where I was unemployed and had no money for anything but a ton of free time, and it took my mind off of my troubles for a while.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Some things I tried for giggles in this game:

Dumping the oceans into the hellworld. Water started pouring and then the ocean instantly emptied in a second but the amount of water in the hellworld only represented a small percentage of the actual water. Maybe the game has some sort of quick calculation for fluid movement off screen to instantly settle all of it? All the missing water I can only explain by maybe the evaporation mechanic.

The ocean floor became a desert biome and cactus's started growing.

Flooding the overworld with lava: Set up a pipe system from the hellworld. Seems when pipes get long enough they just start generating infinite lava. Left the game on for a week and I flooded something like a third of the overworld in a lake of lava. Game became super laggy and almost unplayable.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've occasionally tried converting a world into a single biome by, say, placing a thick layer of sand on everything. I ran out of patience, but the Solutions mod that adds new Clentaminator solutions adds one that just sprays sand everywhere. Tooltip warns not to spray straight up.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I accidentally turned my house into a jungle biome. I just wanted trees that replanted themselves after harvest and instead I got plants that could attack through walls in my bedroom. Sweet music though

I don't remember where the best spot so live was but my last few games I built my house at the edge of underground and deep underground (where the walls turn darker) because it let me grow those mushrooms at home.

Also I think the deep underground background walls were in themselves valid walls?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that PC is, supposedly, going to stop at 1.4+fix patches (we've thought that done was done before, though); is there any stated intention to bring the "modern" consoles and mobile up to that same "end state" as well?

Yeah. https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/one-terraria-an-introduction-future-impacts.61935/

Eschenique posted:

Also I think the deep underground background walls were in themselves valid walls?

No.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 9, 2019

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Wait, if empty oceans turn into deserts, can you carve out a big bowl in the actual desert and fill it with that infinite water bucket from fishing quests to make an artificial ocean biome?

Or is the ocean biome required to be at the edge of the map, no exceptions.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ocean is defined as being a lot of water at the edge of the map. I think something like no more than 200 or 300 blocks away from the edge? You can do things like closing it off (building a wall right at the edge), or even creating an artificial ocean of a big floating island, but you'll have to be close to the edge.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Eschenique posted:

I love this game but I didn't care for how the later invasion events depend on building mob grinders to run them. The goblin invasion for example I just ran until I "won" but the later ones are just cancelled because I ran out of time. Even though I was holding my own pretty well against the enemy hordes.

The Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon really seem built around multiplayer to chew through the enemies fast enough. The goblin and martian invasions go until you kill enough enemies but the Moon events only last until dawn.

I did cheese them by setting up a multiplayer server for myself, then using the server console to keep setting it back to midnight until I'd got what I wanted.

Also the Frost Moon music is great and my favourite christmas song.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Speaking of the alternate ocean music, just putting it out there that the current ocean music is really just the Futurama opening theme song

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
In all fairness the theme from Futurama is just Psyché Rock.

https://youtu.be/vC1cgcOEErQ

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I was looking up the ocean song to compare and first recommend was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx_WdY1R7YY

What is this even?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Looking back, civilization was a mistake.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

high on my toplist of links I'll never click

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Eschenique posted:

What is this even?

I clicked, and my best explanation is that "The Troller" and "The Pro" are actual two people going by those names who are trapped in the actual Terraria world since birth, and do not know they are being uploaded to Youtube or about our dimension at all

Baron von Eevl posted:

In all fairness the theme from Futurama is just Psyché Rock.

https://youtu.be/vC1cgcOEErQ

Oh my god it is.
How far does this conspiracy go...

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Eschenique posted:

What is this even?

That, my good sir/ma'am, is hilarious goofiness. Not everything needs to be super serious, ya know.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Eschenique posted:

What is this even?

Probably just some young kids' goofy fun project or something. We've all been there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eschenique posted:

Some things I tried for giggles in this game:

Dumping the oceans into the hellworld. Water started pouring and then the ocean instantly emptied in a second but the amount of water in the hellworld only represented a small percentage of the actual water. Maybe the game has some sort of quick calculation for fluid movement off screen to instantly settle all of it? All the missing water I can only explain by maybe the evaporation mechanic.

I believe this was changed at some point, previously collecting a big pile of water digging your hellevator and dumping it out the bottom when you get there was a very reliable way of making the entrance less dangerous. But they added a thing that makes water disappear in hell, so you can't do this any more.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

OwlFancier posted:

I believe this was changed at some point, previously collecting a big pile of water digging your hellevator and dumping it out the bottom when you get there was a very reliable way of making the entrance less dangerous. But they added a thing that makes water disappear in hell, so you can't do this any more.

the water still persists for a bit so it's handy to make a starting platform of obsidian so you don't just fall into lava

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That certainly seems like a kid's sense of humor but the seamless and appropriate animation effects are what throws everyone off. As an adult who can only imagine doing that in the most manual way possibly I can't fathom how good the new generation is with software.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

No fun allowed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's a VERY old change. We didn't even have crits or damage types yet.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I think the change was already active when I dumped the ocean into hellworld which would explain all the missing water. It did spawn a bunch of small lakes at the time though but barely deeper than the player. it also created a ton of obsidian.

I don't feel like hellworld is high level enough to warrant punishing a player for successfully dumping an entire loving ocean into it through a hole that was probably no wider than 2 or 4 blocks anyway.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

still a better and more sensible change than removing sandmining in starbound

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I made terraria lag like hell once by dumping the ocean into hell when I had Thorium installed, so while hell is constantly removing water, the Thorium ocean biome is constantly generating it.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Patware posted:

still a better and more sensible change than removing sandmining in starbound

That's the lowest possible bar for comparison and you know it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I Said No posted:

That's the lowest possible bar for comparison and you know it

sometimes you have to remind people of the scale

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it used to be that you would just naturally collect enough water digging to hell so as to build a new ocean down there. It's a good change IMO, it makes hell a lot more dangerous.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Nighthand posted:

I made terraria lag like hell once by dumping the ocean into hell when I had Thorium installed, so while hell is constantly removing water, the Thorium ocean biome is constantly generating it.

Now set up pumps so that you use the ocean to flood hell with water, which is constantly removing it, which is being refilled constantly by the ocean biome, AND whatever hell water remains is also being pumped up into the sky, whereupon it will continue to fall and duplicate itself until you flood the entire world for your undersea masters.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Pretty sure it's still possible in Overhaul, because it adds persistent fluids to rain and allows you to accidentally set everything on fire with a misplaced torch or a lightning strike. Basically turns the game into Noita, really.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Pretty sure it's still possible in Overhaul, because it adds persistent fluids to rain and allows you to accidentally set everything on fire with a misplaced torch or a lightning strike. Basically turns the game into Noita, really.
If Noita was terrible

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sometimes it's really remarkable how great lengths a few people will go to make a fun game unfun.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Being able to blend biomes from one to another should've been better emphasized in terraria. Keep the ocean water filling hell mechanic and create a new hell ocean biome with unique creatures and items. Have the mushroom biome meet both for a truly bizarre biome, or have the biomes fight with each other over dominance like with the hardmode biomes but more blatant and active. You could even do away with hardmode and just use the blending of biomes as a difficulty curve.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Trying to find the energy to do another expert mode playthrough. The thing I'm looking forward to the least is having to start every new boss encounter by spending half an hour clearing out the area and building platforms while dodging enemies.

I think I did planteras arena just by blasting the whole place out with dynamite.

But then I'm a big cheat who starts every new playthrough by giving myself the highest level mining pick. Because saving hours work of "tick tick tick" sounds as I gradually clear stone improves the quality of life for me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eschenique posted:

Trying to find the energy to do another expert mode playthrough. The thing I'm looking forward to the least is having to start every new boss encounter by spending half an hour clearing out the area and building platforms while dodging enemies.

I think I did planteras arena just by blasting the whole place out with dynamite.

But then I'm a big cheat who starts every new playthrough by giving myself the highest level mining pick. Because saving hours work of "tick tick tick" sounds as I gradually clear stone improves the quality of life for me.

Just use a cheat mod and build yourself a fully featured arena with it in each biome where you're going to fight a boss in a fraction of the time. If you're already giving yourself a pickaxe to save time there's nothing that says you can't just build an arena too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kanos posted:

Just use a cheat mod and build yourself a fully featured arena with it in each biome where you're going to fight a boss in a fraction of the time. If you're already giving yourself a pickaxe to save time there's nothing that says you can't just build an arena too.
luiafk has a "build an arena here" device, although I think you need to use it multiple times if you want more than one layer of platform

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
An endgame magic item that lets you copy any structure you've already built and can place an exact duplicate of that structure anywhere provided that you have all of the materials to build it in your inventory (not just the raw materials, but finished platforms, background wall tiles, etc) instantly, BUT it uses mana and health based on how large the structure is. Want to build an arena? It'll drain all your mana and nearly kill you so you better not try and do it mid-fight. Need to build a small shelter during an invasion? Minimal drain to health and mana.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Kanos posted:

My point is more that Expert doesn't make the game any more challenging but rather more tedious. Bosses that could normally be easily defeated in their natural environment with dodging etc instead requires elaborate arenas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not really. The most elaborate I ever get is making a few platform runways for the likes of skeletron, wall of flesh and the twins.