Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Lone Goat posted:

bad at card analysis and posting, a winning combination

He has been hit by a wide-spectrum Hellsau beam and his brain can't deal with magic of this magnitude.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/CorriganAbe/status/1193705761022652417

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hellsau your posts are very good and I hope you don't let that dumbfuck dissuade you from making more

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Great, now my facebook feed and Somethingawful magic forums are identical.

A balanced diet is a chocolate bar in each hAND!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol imagine coming in hard, first thing Monday morning, against Hellsau of all people

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the card draw rider is several orders of magnitude more impactful than those other minor upgrades in the formats they test for.

edit: the formats they supposedly test for

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 11, 2019

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Huxley posted:

lol imagine coming in hard, first thing Monday morning, against Hellsau of all people

the man who plays a deck that requires infinite patience

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I recognize posters by Avatar over name most of the time (I don’t know how to read lol) and I am very surprised at the lack of a cartoon dog next to that boomer post.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

ah, the monday after the MC. now our long national nightmare is finally over with an oko ban. time to take a huge swig of coffee and check the B&R announcements

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the card draw rider is several orders of magnitude more impactful than those other minor upgrades in the formats they test for.

edit: the formats they supposedly test for

Yeah, while there are other significant upgrades, without the draw veil would not be all that great. It might still get there in this format because it hits almost every response to some absurd threats, but it wouldn’t itself be a contributor to the problem like it is now.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

ah, the monday after the MC. now our long national nightmare is finally over with an oko ban. time to take a huge swig of coffee and check the B&R announcements

one more week since they committed to the 18th, and also decklists for MC7 are due on the 27th lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are we getting a Pioneer ban announcement even though it’s remembrance day?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hellsau posted:

one more week since they committed to the 18th, and also decklists for MC7 are due on the 27th lol

There's still pioneer announcements after they have their seven course lunch!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

There's still pioneer announcements after they have their seven course lunch!

remember when they banned oath of nissa

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

As some expected, in store versions of the Mystery Booster have the test card replaced with a foil. Some will be expensive "exciting".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ItBreathes posted:

As some expected, in store versions of the Mystery Booster have the test card replaced with a foil. Some will be expensive "exciting".

lol

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

this is such an obviously bad idea it's actually kind of comforting. this is familiar territory. after the misery of Elk Autumn and the bungled rollouts of Brawl and Historic, a good old-fashioned fuckup like creating incredibly cool and exciting cards and refusing to distribute them is like a visit from an old friend.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Also every slot in the booster is on its own sheet, so you have a 1/121 chance of getting any given card, including the foils and test cards. Not sure what the scope of the events will be or how long they'll run them, but individual test cards might wind up being pretty drat rare, so if you want some and see a good price maybe jump on them.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

i've heard about this catchphrase too, ungulateman. thanks for posting it

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's breathtakingly stupid to debut a product at an event and then not make the product be that actual thing

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

It's breathtakingly stupid to debut a product at an event and then not make the product be that actual thing

At least they have the sense to let all the hype die down before it's even available in stores. Isn't the retail release like March 2020?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Yes, but it’s compounded by the fact that the specific element that they’re leaving out of the production boosters is by far the coolest thing about this product and the thing that got everyone talking. It would be like launching WAR without any of the Planeswalkers.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

It seems like it's way more expensive for them to not have the test cards in store boosters than it would be to just print more of them, dunno who the gently caress decided that but they should probably be named and shamed and fired.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
They probably all agreed that a convention would have the proper judge staff to answer most questions about the test cards, but people cracking them at home would be massively confused, and your typical LGS judge wouldn't know what the hell either. That's... a bad decision made for good reason, at least.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

They probably all agreed that a convention would have the proper judge staff to answer most questions about the test cards, but people cracking them at home would be massively confused, and your typical LGS judge wouldn't know what the hell either. That's... a bad decision made for good reason, at least.

they're printing cards in new boosters with their old templating, still gonna have lots of questions and the online resources for those cards would also apply for the test cards

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also considering it's a set with zero R&D budget required, they could afford a couple cents per pack to put something interesting in there

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

they're printing cards in new boosters with their old templating, still gonna have lots of questions and the online resources for those cards would also apply for the test cards

Players are more likely to be familiar with those old mechanics on older, existing cards (mostly because Commander is so popular) than cards that don't quite work under the rules, such as casting a copy of a card they probably only half remember the rules text of. But again, I only understand their reasoning, I don't agree with their decision. Now that they see how well the idea would've been received, they're probably kicking themselves.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

Are we getting a Pioneer ban announcement even though it’s remembrance day?

What am I supposed to be remembering

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Hellsau posted:

For complexity sake, I'd rather have to muddle through banding than to figure out what cards were in the winning deck(s) of the most recent mythic championship. I do agree that I would rather have a few wacky, fun cards than a few more foils.

edit: I just saw the card that makes damage use the stack, and now I want these.

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 11, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mandatory lesbian posted:

World War I

(Its veteran's day)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it's armistice day actually

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

TacoNight posted:

For complexity sake, I'd rather have to muddle through banding than to figure out what cards were in the winning deck(s) of the most recent mythic championship. I do agree that I would rather have a few wacky, fun cards than a few more foils.

edit: I just saw the card that makes damage use the stack, and now I want these.

Queue of Beetles is the most masterful card ever printed

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Honestly, one of my favorite parts of the mystery boosters is that each slot has its own sheet of 121 cards, so they print fewer copies of filler cards for each of the more desirable cards. Magic cards have just started feeling to me. Even if I buy singles, I know someone has opened, sorted, and binned most of the bulk from several cases to get the rares and mythics I want. Sure, in reality, the filler cards in mystery boosters are just differently named junk, but it somehow feels different than having 20 glass slippers for each oko.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

TacoNight posted:

Honestly, one of my favorite parts of the mystery boosters is that each slot has its own sheet of 121 cards, so they print fewer copies of filler cards for each of the more desirable cards. Magic cards have just started feeling to me. Even if I buy singles, I know someone has opened, sorted, and binned most of the bulk from several cases to get the rares and mythics I want. Sure, in reality, the filler cards in mystery boosters are just differently named junk, but it somehow feels different than having 20 glass slippers for each oko.

It's going to be fun to draft, yeah. I hope they aren't $10 a pack, but they will be.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

War bad, people die for nothing Praise the military and it's glorious conquest

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Praise the military and it's glorious conquest

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Please don't be disrespectful of the teenagers who signed up to avoid having college debt for 30 years heroes. You may not care but others do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Has the full set list for mystery boosters been shared yet? Seems like a fun set to draft over beers, and it looks like there’s some $$$ reprints in it.