Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yinlock posted:

even if it's not fishy as all, as long as you say it is it's fine

Have you been to Bolivia and literally observed Morales 24/7? Then you can't prove he didn't do something fishy and the coup is justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
honestly you shouldnt even get involved with arguments on whether term limits are justified or not because theyre entirely irrellevent in the context of an unconstitutional coup and ultimately being made in bad faith as retroactive justification. dont play defense with liberals

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i've come to the conclusion that term limits are bad because all they seem to do is provide shitlibs and fash with legalistic cover for mass murder and oppression

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ya never go on the defensive or acknowledge their moronic and molecule-thin arguments, just ask them how many babies being roasted on a bayonet spit by militias in burned down villages their precious access to mineral wealthy is worth to them, personally. Then, ignore whatever imbecilic response they have and ask them another "question" that actually is just pointing out how they clap like seals for genocide if the right language is used

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

idk what decorum poisoned think tank is yelling at americans to think about politics in terms of term limits but ive also heard that poo poo irl as if it mattered at all and it's annoying as heck

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

comedyblissoption posted:

idk what decorum poisoned think tank is yelling at americans to think about politics in terms of term limits but ive also heard that poo poo irl as if it mattered at all and it's annoying as heck

George Washington voluntarily stepping down after two terms is a big part of the founding mythology of the white devil nation.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the answer might shock you!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/camilateleSUR/status/1193962879030046720

:smith:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Terms limits are bad and tyrants are good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Venezuela guy very much doesn't have the military lined up for him

The best thing about this is that the most credible allegations of corruption against Maduro amounted to buying off the military. Gee I wonder why he did that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Prince Myshkin posted:

George Washington voluntarily stepping down after two terms is a big part of the founding mythology of the white devil nation.

"No re-election" was a thing in at least Mexican politics, and in theory breaking up cults of personality and making it harder for individuals to accumulate power is good; but in practice its 100% a bullshit excuse to kick the pinkos out and sell off the country to American corps

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

"No re-election" was a thing in at least Mexican politics, and in theory breaking up cults of personality and making it harder for individuals to accumulate power is good; but in practice its 100% a bullshit excuse to kick the pinkos out and sell off the country to American corps

again, the push for expanded term limits in this country started with the cato institute, basically the world's most powerful and biggest neoliberal think tank outside of the von mises institute

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Al! posted:

again, the push for expanded term limits in this country started with the cato institute, basically the world's most powerful and biggest neoliberal think tank outside of the von mises institute

Sure. I'd even add that in the current situation when the left wing is relatively weak its generally a hindrance to it, and even the problems with it aren't generally worse than being looted by Pinochet Jr

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
yeah Mexico basically did it because their president was a lovely dude that bowed down to American corps.

the fact his successor ignored term limits and did the same thing kind of undermines it a bit tho

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Relin posted:

heh

most leaders will not be benevolent so it's not worth 1 good forever ruler if you get a bunch of evil forever rulers before/after them. shuffle the deck more imho

I usually keep the good ones and put the bad ones back in the deck.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

basically people are retroactively justifying the Business Plot in 2019 lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

term limits just make it super easy to get rid of individual leaders who are popular with the masses and replace them with empty suits backed by limitless corporate wealth

the former requires a shitload of work to get popular and win elections and so term limits are an effective check on how successful that strategy can be by requiring lightning to strike repeatedly if you want a succession of popular leftist leaders, the latter just requires limitless corporate cash and tapping into the endless supply of interchangeable neolibs who are happy to reach the end of their limited term so they can go sit on the boards of think tanks and multinational corporations while the next interchangeable neolib takes their place

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i mean poo poo just look at the difference between lula and dilma

lula was so insanely popular that nobody could coup him as long as he was in power

dilma wasn't

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

process over function, ideology, liberalism, god bless & happy new years

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Al! posted:

basically people are retroactively justifying the Business Plot in 2019 lol

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/evoespueblo/status/1102243082333011968

"Democratic revolutions are built upon democratic elections" huh

that didn't age well. shoulda gotten more repressive evo my friend

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
term limits are good because you have a constant churn of junior legislators who have to get up to speed, providing endless opportunities for lobbyists and think tanks to be the ones to get the new legislators up to speed on why helping people is bad and austerity is good.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

How about a four-year life span for corporations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

RIP Syndrome posted:

How about a four-year life span for corporations.

I also support the Diablo 2 ladder approach to capitalism

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

StashAugustine posted:

Mm, periodic reset is sort of a minimum requirement for a good loot game.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

jubilee was in fact a thing

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
you love too see it

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1193782143127703557?s=19

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ya gotta respect that christianity, the south americans love it!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Drawing the conclusion that right wingers mad at the Pope are a CIA psyop now

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
its okay everyone the military is jsut bringing freedom to bolivia by getting rid of democracy

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

StashAugustine posted:

Drawing the conclusion that right wingers mad at the Pope are a CIA psyop now

imagine Rubio and Menendez meeting with some cardinal who got fired from being head pedophile-hider on account of also being a pedophile, and the chief of the Swiss Guard, to establish a more conservative antipope in Florida

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The right wingers just hate the pope because he's a cynical liberal and crypto-atheist if the poles around me are any indicator

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

mexico granting evo asylum

https://twitter.com/kgosztola/status/1194002843000283136

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
good

the asylum thing, not the "maybe Trump will threaten them" thing

Alfred Shitcock
Jul 2, 2007

The fun is over, start digging,dreaming is over, run inside
this song is as relevant as ever

https://youtu.be/-10LcHCHZsc

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The right wingers just hate the pope because he's a cynical liberal and crypto-atheist if the poles around me are any indicator

There's a particular conspiracy theory going around that he's secretly advancing paganism which I suspect is related to that Bolivian guy. That and the usual hatred of the poor and indigenous of course.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

he's Argentine. John Paul II died in 2005.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

"human rights" organization chess dude basically just making poo poo up about food riots in bolivia

https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/status/1194003124974952449

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Al! posted:

"human rights" organization chess dude basically just making poo poo up about food riots in bolivia

https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/status/1194003124974952449

western imperialists got very quiet about vz after guaido embarrassingly flamed out