Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Filthy Haiku posted:

Jesus Christ. Between this and the dull move animations, I can't really muster any enthusiasm for this game. It probably needed another year to mature.

I'm just not feelin it.

Pretty much the same, I love Pokemon but since like ORAS things have been incredibly spotty and this game seems like another notch along that trend. It'll be interesting to hear from people playing through (the ones whose opinions aren't mostly summed up by "Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for more products." anyways) for their take on the game as they play through.

I did end buying Sun and Moon after a month, maybe if it turns out I'm just completely off-base I can take another look at it down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Nanigans posted:

So the learnsets leaked and....

Cinderace learns Sucker Punch and Quick Attack for priority. It also learns High Jump Kick, U-Turn, Zen Headbutt, Iron Head, Gunk Shot, and...loving Super Fang. This thing is going to be a wall-breaker for sure.

Get hosed Toxapex!

People were worried that gen 8 was going to become stally but between this, the ridiculous attack stats revealed on some others, Keldeo, sand rush drill, TTar... nah. Stall will be viable but not dominating.

And as much as I miss megas, Mega Sableye can go choke on it’s oversized gem. Every time I saw that thing in team preview my heart sank, because I knew what was coming.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

extra row of teeth posted:

Get hosed Toxapex!

People were worried that gen 8 was going to become stally but between this, the ridiculous attack stats revealed on some others, Keldeo, sand rush drill, TTar... nah. Stall will be viable but not dominating.

And as much as I miss megas, Mega Sableye can go choke on it’s oversized gem. Every time I saw that thing in team preview my heart sank, because I knew what was coming.

Have you seen Grimmsnarl's ability?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
With a moment's more thought, I realize that I haven't been looking too harshly at Pokemon games for quite a while because they've been handheld pixellated games for so long that I don't expect much. The trees looking worse than a 13 year old launch title for a console two generations ago reminds me of those awful Deviant Art "progress" pictures where anime obsessives haven't improved their art in any recognizable sense in a decade.

I'll still like the game, but this will stay in the back of my mind.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Cinderace learns Sucker Punch and Quick Attack for priority. It also learns High Jump Kick, U-Turn, Zen Headbutt, Iron Head, Gunk Shot, and...loving Super Fang. This thing is going to be a wall-breaker for sure.

That's gonna be nearly Lucario levels of moveset unpredictability, and hope the HA comes in time. Still thinking of the case of the gen 2 starters HA.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Yeah that looks bad. They can move to a three year development cycle and I won't resent them for it.

The really need to. Nobody would fault them for taking more time to develop.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I also hate to be down on one of my favorite franchises but that's the crux of it, yeah. It's a console title at a $20 price point increase and Pokemon is the highest earning media franchise of all time. It's hard to understand what gives. I'm not cancelling my pre-order and I'm going to enjoy the game at launch, but it's a disappointing sign for the future. Or hey, maybe this is the year where everything snaps.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Oh no, 20 dollars.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nanigans posted:

:stare: that is one wascally wabbit.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Injuryprone posted:

Oh no, 20 dollars.

guillotine

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Maybe I'm being blinded by "ooh, shiny new toy" but the game looks much better in motion than it does in still screenshots. Not saying it's okay, but I don't think it's as bad as those screens make them out to be.

Injuryprone posted:

Oh no, 20 dollars.

Yeah, this is me, too. I understand the anger when you phrase it as "50% more expensive," but when that 50% is only $20? Not a big deal to me. I guess that's me showing my privilege, but I have a decent job and don't buy more than a handful of games a year, so I'm not going to notice $20. :shrug:

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 11, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

qnqnx posted:

The really need to. Nobody would fault them for taking more time to develop.

remember when animal crossing got delayed and nintendo was very upfront that it needed more time in the oven and then their stock price went down because of it

basically what i'm saying is that capitalism is ruining pokemon

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Y'all seen the big list of moves that have been cut out too?

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Brother Entropy posted:

remember when animal crossing got delayed and nintendo was very upfront that it needed more time in the oven and then their stock price went down because of it

on the flipside of the ac delay, AFAIK the fans were just kinda like, oh bummer but we get it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Injuryprone posted:

Oh no, 20 dollars.

I'm Canadian so it's 30

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Live Free posted:

on the flipside of the ac delay, AFAIK the fans were just kinda like, oh bummer but we get it

yeah exactly. i'm sure the same would've happened if Sw/Sh got a delay but being all tied up in the anime and merchandising and all that means that wasn't really an option

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Annath posted:

Yes, and the long and short of it is "meh."

The only moves lost of any real consequence are Return, Pursuit and Hidden Power.

In exchange, some of the new moves we're getting...:stare:

lmao Darmanitan gets Belly Drum. It's going to be predictable as gently caress, but Belly Drum triggering its ability to activate, making its comical attack stat go even higher, and then being faster than anything bar Choice Scarf users is...:yeshaha:

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 11, 2019

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah exactly. i'm sure the same would've happened if Sw/Sh got a delay but being all tied up in the anime and merchandising and all that means that wasn't really an option

All the more reason why Gamefreak needs to up its developer numbers ASAP, cause it'll only get worse from here, especially when Nintendo eventually moves on to even more powerful hardware.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Annath posted:

gamefreak have gone too far this time those monsters

double slap had a family!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

game bad

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Counter point: game...good?

:hmmyes:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nanigans posted:

game land of contrasts

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Nanigans posted:

hmmm.... nah

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
No game that gives us Sirfetch'd could ever be less than a 23 out of 10. hth

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Game good, goons bad.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nanigans posted:

What if...game game?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Game bad, thinking of buying Digimon for the Switch.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Between the battle arenas apparently being half-assed, the weirder cuts to moves (I guess special bug types can just go gently caress themselves?), and all the various other poo poo they're being cagey about, my optimism for this game is rapidly diminishing.

I mean, I still have it preordered, but I hope my suspicions are incorrect and it's not XY all over again.

Brother Entropy posted:

if it was a planned 3-year dev cycle it wouldn't be a public delay though

but also really, they should take longer to make the main games and contract out spinoffs to fill the intervening time, it's the best for everyone involved

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I can't claim to understand anything about Japanese business practices wrt to anime and video game development beyond "there's probably significant spin-up time for all the related merchandising they obviously want to do and the train can't stop for anyone" but it seems like a natural investment for such a pace would be more staff and equipment to keep up if they don't want longer development cycles. Of course I've also read that anime exists in a state of permanent insufficiency to keep margins up so greater in-house investment may never happen.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So I was looking at the stat dump, and I kind of :shepface:

======
1170 - Eternatus 1 (Stage: 3)
======
Galar Dex: #400
Base Stats: 255.115.250.125.250.130 (BST: 1125)

What the fresh gently caress is this? I assume there's some explanation for this that isn't completely and utterly insane that I just haven't heard about or something, but still, the gently caress?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Supremezero posted:

======
======

What the fresh gently caress is this? I assume there's some explanation for this that isn't completely and utterly insane that I just haven't heard about or something, but still, the gently caress?

the 'stage: 3' bit makes me think that's the stats for the special uncatchable form of eternatus that you fight in the story

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Supremezero posted:

======
======

That's its Gigantomax stats that you fight in a raid.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
is there a summary somewhere of why people are so mad about this latest pokemon game, or at least the latest reasons, i've heard about the roster cuts

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

RottenK posted:

is there a summary somewhere of why people are so mad about this latest pokemon game, or at least the latest reasons, i've heard about the roster cuts

low quality across the board

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blaziken386 posted:

(I guess special bug types can just go gently caress themselves?),

Bug Buzz still exists.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

RottenK posted:

Roster cuts
Just found out about a bunch of moves being cut and unusable
Seems rushed about the last third (?)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Any info on Galar's battle facility?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I can't claim to understand anything about Japanese business practices wrt to anime and video game development beyond "there's probably significant spin-up time for all the related merchandising they obviously want to do and the train can't stop for anyone" but it seems like a natural investment for such a pace would be more staff and equipment to keep up if they don't want longer development cycles. Of course I've also read that anime exists in a state of permanent insufficiency to keep margins up so greater in-house investment may never happen.
guys, I think it's time to end capitalism for this and many other reasons

RottenK posted:

-it's mainly the roster cuts
-also, apparently, the move cuts
-the incredibly bad PR when announcing said cuts, followed by no damage control
-the graphics, while a step above other pokemon games, are kinda obviously bad in some areas
-people don't like charizard
-because some people didn't like how much SM showed pre-release, they've gone the opposite direction and showed off absolutely nothing, which is probably not what you want to do when people are ALREADY assuming the worst
-people are starting to get apathetic about the generational gimmick stuff, because, as seen with megas getting thrown out, they'll be relevant for this gen only, which upsets the part of the fandom who will play through a gen 3 game and transfer an old mon all the way forward for the purpose of getting a specific move

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nanigans posted:

Yes, and the long and short of it is "meh."

The only moves lost of any real consequence are Return, Pursuit and Hidden Power.

In exchange, some of the new moves we're getting...:stare:

lmao Darmanitan gets Belly Drum. It's going to be predictable as gently caress, but Belly Drum triggering its ability to activate, making its comical attack stat go even higher, and then being faster than anything bar Choice Scarf users is...:yeshaha:

Nobody is detailing if this is purely in game pokemon or if transferred pokemon will still be able to use them.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

RottenK posted:

People think that the pokedex being cut, along with some moves and screenshots compared to old games that "look bad" think that is proof that game freak is lazy and incompetent and that pokemon needs to be taken from them and given to (insert studio/developer here).

In reality it's all knee jerk reactions to changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

How can I live without Bubble in my life.

Where would I be without Camouflage.

O Mud Sport, where art thou.

Seriously, while there a couple of ??? choices with the move cuts, most of them make sense.