Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I seem to be in the minority on this but I greatly prefer the old art for Bus. it's definitely best with 3, but 4 seems playable from the one time I've done it. The biggest issue with high player counts is that time stopping becomes more of an actual thing that people do as opposed to a threat that needs to be managed by everyone collectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

CommonShore posted:

Firefly is ok if you have a group which mostly knows how to play and doesn't suffer from AP. When that's the case you can often do much of your turn during other people's turns and it speeds up quite a bit. There are some expansions which increase player interactivity as well. The game improves immensely when it is expanded, and I feel it's really the best-in-class "draw cards, get equipment, race to the finish" genre of game, at least so far as I've seen.

Some people in my regular group like to play it once in a while for a change of pace and I don't object. BUT I would not spend a single goddamn cent on that game or encourage others to spend on it.

My conclusion with Firefly is the same, but my analysis of it is a lot less friendly.

It's not even got a slight semblance of balance, and it seemed absolutely desperate to cram every possible reference to the show in even when it doesn't make sense. Success or failure are entirely arbitrary. If you want to spend two hours (at a favourable pace) shooting the poo poo with your friends in the 'verse, you could do WORSE i suppose, but you'd be better off just... watching the show for two hours, whilst playing a different game, or no game at all.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I went by the thrift shops again today and found something kind of interesting. After a bit of research I don't know if it was a good find or not? I'm going to have to play this one before I make my judgement. Anyway, for for $3.99 I found what looked like a modern designer game. Something called "Mwahahaha!" and published by WhiteWolf. The box was quite heavy, so I knew it had a lot of content. When I got it home and checked inside everything was there. In fact it was clear this game had never even been played, the dice were in heat seal baggies and a bunch of the components weren't even punched. It even had the "new boardgame smell" which is impressive for a game published in 2008:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/33581/mwahahaha
Looking this game up on BGG it seems to have a middle of the road rating. It seems to be an attempt at a "euro" game, but with lots of other systems bolted on top. You are gathering resources and building a resources gathering tableau like Race for the Galaxy, but there are no victory points. The winner of the game is the one who completes their Doomsday device first, regardless of what happened before hand. It also has a lot more player interaction than a euro game, players can trade resources freely and use cards/minions to attack each other directly. I honestly don't know what to make of it. I will have to give it a try I guess?

It has really good production values and a lot of cards, so it has that going for it. Though some of the playable Mad Scientists were a bit uh problematic.....

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thespaceinvader posted:

My conclusion with Firefly is the same, but my analysis of it is a lot less friendly.

It's not even got a slight semblance of balance, and it seemed absolutely desperate to cram every possible reference to the show in even when it doesn't make sense. Success or failure are entirely arbitrary. If you want to spend two hours (at a favourable pace) shooting the poo poo with your friends in the 'verse, you could do WORSE i suppose, but you'd be better off just... watching the show for two hours, whilst playing a different game, or no game at all.

I have seen people setting up Firefly when I got to the pub at 6pm and still be playing the same game at closing time, without being close to finishing it, because they want to play at being Captain Carboard rather than actually, y'know, play a game.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

thespaceinvader posted:

Imo balance isn't a factor in games in that genre. If you pick up a game like Talisman or Firefly or whatever hoping for balance, you're picking up the wrong box. It's like saying "I like 18xx but I don't like the math and I wish there was more randomness involved."

Think about it - if you build a deck of cards, there intrinsically needs to be better or worse cards, even if it's just situationally better vs situationally worse. If not, why have a deck of cards? Now if that deck of cards is items or whatever, you'll have a range of quality, and so it's intrinsically imbalanced. The game is about seeing who is lucky enough to have the imbalance swing in their favour. Firefly has an additional layer where there are a few choices and approaches about mitigating those swings.

If you have that in mind you're less likely to have a frustrating time with the game, but that comes back to my "I'll never choose that game but I won't object" point.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jedit posted:

I have seen people setting up Firefly when I got to the pub at 6pm and still be playing the same game at closing time, without being close to finishing it, because they want to play at being Captain Carboard rather than actually, y'know, play a game.

It usually takes us like 3h to play a game of it, but that's because we never lose sight of actually trying to finish the mission.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
"balance is pointless if there's a deck of cards involved" is a hell of a take

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Are we going to have to bring up the Vlaada conversation about Robinson Crusoe again?

Because there's a world of a difference between "game with single deck random card draw" and "Candyland with generic fantasy/Firefly references". Through the Ages and Flow of History do a good job of caring about balance despite both relying on card draws from massive decks. Terraforming Mars also makes some attempt at balance with it's massive card draw.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Straight White Shark posted:

"balance is pointless if there's a deck of cards involved" is a hell of a take

At least for the "have adventure get stuff from a randomized deck" genre I mean. It's always going to be a range of more or less useful cards. Some of those cards are going to be better than the others. That's imbalance.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

At least for the "have adventure get stuff from a randomized deck" genre I mean. It's always going to be a range of more or less useful cards. Some of those cards are going to be better than the others. That's imbalance.

That argument applies just as well to every other game that features a randomized deck, though.

There's definitely a sub-genre of "pull random encounters/loot" adventure game that tends towards imbalanced designs, but that's not so much a mechanical feature so much as it is a matter of taste for the consumer segment that it draws.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Rutibex posted:

I went by the thrift shops again today and found something kind of interesting. After a bit of research I don't know if it was a good find or not? I'm going to have to play this one before I make my judgement. Anyway, for for $3.99 I found what looked like a modern designer game. Something called "Mwahahaha!" and published by WhiteWolf. The box was quite heavy, so I knew it had a lot of content. When I got it home and checked inside everything was there. In fact it was clear this game had never even been played, the dice were in heat seal baggies and a bunch of the components weren't even punched. It even had the "new boardgame smell" which is impressive for a game published in 2008:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/33581/mwahahaha
Looking this game up on BGG it seems to have a middle of the road rating. It seems to be an attempt at a "euro" game, but with lots of other systems bolted on top. You are gathering resources and building a resources gathering tableau like Race for the Galaxy, but there are no victory points. The winner of the game is the one who completes their Doomsday device first, regardless of what happened before hand. It also has a lot more player interaction than a euro game, players can trade resources freely and use cards/minions to attack each other directly. I honestly don't know what to make of it. I will have to give it a try I guess?

It has really good production values and a lot of cards, so it has that going for it. Though some of the playable Mad Scientists were a bit uh problematic.....

I got this years ago as a gift and still haven't played it. At the time I was relatively new to modern board games so it looked a little overly complex. Maybe I'll have to give it a try one of these days.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Firefly is a terrible, terrible game.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

FulsomFrank posted:

I'm still withholding complete judgement until later but so far the game seems like it's trying to do seven things, none of which really well, and on top of all that it's an imbalanced Cosmic Encounter-tier festival of randomness.*

*(It's not nearly as bad as that but christ there where times when I was getting so frustrated...)

It is actually that bad. The futurists are like 50% higher scoring than the traders. However because score distributions are roughly normal curves, that means the win rate for the futurists that you'd expect is a lot more than 60-40 in a head to head matchup.

The stats dude pointed out that their expected win rate is 33% and their achieved win rate is 60%, and that's vs the field.

Basically the futurists are extremely OP: but a total of 8 of the factions are woefully over or underpowered.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Morpheus posted:

Only issue I had was that some of the stray cats were way more useful than others (one just hoovered up all extra good you had and spit out a bunch of VP, making it more useful to get food rather than cats after that)

Yeah when you see cow or one of the other bombier cats on the adoption row you have to almost ignore everything else when you see a lost cat poster because you want to be the one that holds a food sink. Likewise if you see the cat that gives points for toys you want to try and adopt early so you have time to implement the strategy.

Now that we play this more regularly at home we’ll hold aside the three stray cats from each game so they don’t get reused until next time, keeps the games a little more interesting then if you have moonbeam on the stray cats three games in a row.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I give a lot more leeway to historical games that have a lot of randomness because of the unexpected nature of, well, history. With a crafted setting, you can ask why is the setting this or that way? Arguably, you could fall back to the same excuses of history being random af, but unlike history which has weird variables you don’t know, a setting has decisions made by someone somewhere.

There’s also the element of doing the best with what you’ve been given, a skill that can be appreciated when you’re trying to portray a given general or leader’s role. Negotiate here or attack there out of desperation. The history is there as to why those circumstances came to be with a well-designed consim. With a game based on a property that doesn’t have that background or history, the link is more tenuous.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

golden bubble posted:

Are we going to have to bring up the Vlaada conversation about Robinson Crusoe again?

The holidays are a time for tradition.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

CommonShore posted:

It usually takes us like 3h to play a game of it, but that's because we never lose sight of actually trying to finish the mission.

You have a much higher tolerance for “experience generator games” than most of the thread regulars. 3 hours for a game like this is just crazy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Funzo posted:

I got this years ago as a gift and still haven't played it. At the time I was relatively new to modern board games so it looked a little overly complex. Maybe I'll have to give it a try one of these days.

It seems like it would be best with 4-5 people, so that there is room for alliances/betrayal etc. I really don't know what to make of it. It does seem to have a lot of moving parts, and it doesn't quite add up to anything I am usually familiar with. Like a cross between Race for the Galaxy, Munchkin, Magic the Gathering, and Risk? :shrug:

I really is the worst possible name for a boardgame in the era of google though, searching for "Mwahahaha!" is a nightmare.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Memnaelar posted:

The holidays are a time for tradition.

See I can actually get behind Robinson Crusoe in this realm. Every random draw in Firefly resolves when drawn so if you don’t have the parts, or crew or gear ahead of time it’s a too bad so sad situation.

At least with Robinson Crusoe when you get an event card from one of the action decks you know what bad things will be happening in 1-N turns and at least try to mitigate without already knowing all the cards in the game

The ability to react to bad draws without having seen all the cards in previous plays is way more engaging for me. I’ll lose both games regardless but at least one feels like I caused the trouble that killed me

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Firefly is awful. It's long, boring, non-interactive and just a pick up and deliver. Skill checks based on dice are bad. I noped our off the demo at GenCon several years ago after the 3rd hour of the unguided scenario where no one was close to winning. I will never play it again and will greatly discourage anyone else from doing so as well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Crackbone posted:

You have a much higher tolerance for “experience generator games” than most of the thread regulars. 3 hours for a game like this is just crazy.

There’s more people who like experience generators than you think. It’s just that half the time it’s more appropriate to post about them in the wargame thread.

Oh wait we do post a lot about John Company and Here I Stand here. Successors is also good. The KS should mean more people will be playing it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

pakman posted:

Firefly is awful. It's long, boring, non-interactive and just a pick up and deliver.

What about the game though? :v:

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I once played firefly while I was staying with some friends. Another guy they knew came over who I'd played games with a few times before but we really barely knew each other. All I remember is that at some points you can move the Reavers around and if things line up exactly right you can very occasionally move them onto your opponents, in about the only bit of player interaction in the whole game.

Anyway, I had the opportunity to move the Reavers onto this guys ship so of course I did so. After a few minutes of stunned silence he said "oh, I remember you now".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fellis posted:

What about the game though? :v:

damnit i was about to make that joke

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

OrthoTrot posted:

Anyway, I had the opportunity to move the Reavers onto this guys ship so of course I did so. After a few minutes of stunned silence he said "oh, I remember you now".

The fun part about joining a new gaming group is to see how fast you get this reputation. I think in my current group it was about 3-4 months, but I may have toned it down since it's the only decent group in the area

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I feel like making up new, plain English names for game mechanics I like. Here are some:

• Changing Things and Seeing What Happens
  • Doing the Best You Can With What You Got
  • Predicting Opponents, Short Term (like poker hands)
  • Action Programming (ok this one's normal)
  • Not Hanging Self With All This Rope I've Been Given

Here's some that don't gel super well with me:

• First One to gently caress Something Up Loses
  • Predicting Opponents, Long Term (ie strategically rather than turn to turn)
  • Bidding and Valuation of Things
  • Set Collection (ok this one also is a normal name, probably redundant with the previous one)

Anyone got any good suggestions of their own?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

I feel like making up new, plain English names for game mechanics I like. Here are some:

Anyone got any good suggestions of their own?

My two favorite 18xx mechanics are:

Skillful Handling of Intricate Timings
Predicting Opponents, Short Term

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Eyes Have It posted:

• Doing the Best You Can With What You Got

I don't have any equivalent phrases but while I'm still very thinly and cautiously defending Firefly this is exactly the way it needs to be played for it not to suck.

I'm curious though - in this broad genre of "move around a map collect stuff turn cards have a thematic adventure" game, is there one that's actually A Good Game in the way that this thread's zeitgeist generally defines good games? Is there one that's less bad than Firefly?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

I don't have any equivalent phrases but while I'm still very thinly and cautiously defending Firefly this is exactly the way it needs to be played for it not to suck.

I'm curious though - in this broad genre of "move around a map collect stuff turn cards have a thematic adventure" game, is there one that's actually A Good Game in the way that this thread's zeitgeist generally defines good games? Is there one that's less bad than Firefly?

Mage Knight is what happens when you put a serious mechanical spin on that genre.

It doesn't really fit the same niche anymore though since one of the few virtues of that sort of game is that they have theoretically quick turns and low barrier to entry.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CommonShore posted:

Merchant of Venus is where the whole game came from.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

CommonShore posted:

Maximum Apocalypse isn't great, but it's definitely a lot more entertaining than Firefly.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Fellis posted:

I like this one, kind of a budgeting angle mixed with the feeling from meshing (metaphorical) gears just right to pull something off.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fellis posted:

My two favorite 18xx mechanics are:

Predicting Opponents, Short Term

Stock and Market Evaluation
Operating Phase

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

I like this one, kind of a budgeting angle mixed with the feeling from meshing (metaphorical) gears just right to pull something off.

oh drat i was just trying to spell
poo poo
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Summarizes the 18xx genre very well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

CommonShore posted:

Imo balance isn't a factor in games in that genre. If you pick up a game like Talisman or Firefly or whatever hoping for balance, you're picking up the wrong box. It's like saying "I like 18xx but I don't like the math and I wish there was more randomness involved."

Think about it - if you build a deck of cards, there intrinsically needs to be better or worse cards, even if it's just situationally better vs situationally worse. If not, why have a deck of cards? Now if that deck of cards is items or whatever, you'll have a range of quality, and so it's intrinsically imbalanced. The game is about seeing who is lucky enough to have the imbalance swing in their favour. Firefly has an additional layer where there are a few choices and approaches about mitigating those swings.

If you have that in mind you're less likely to have a frustrating time with the game, but that comes back to my "I'll never choose that game but I won't object" point.

Plenty of card games have elements of skill in them.

Firefly does not.

Which is fine, like I said, if you want the experience generator... experience... but it's not if you want a game.

I'd go so far as to say that Firefly doesn't really qualify as a game at all, any more than say snakes and ladders does. It's just as arbitrary and random and time-wasting. I honestly don't think I'd ever play it again, because as noted, I'd prefer to spend the time watching the show, if I wanted a Firefly experience, or playing literally anything else.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
These terms should be just one long German word.

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Eldritch Horror is pretty good for random thematic events and giving you some control over your fate.

I haven't played it, but I hear the Arkham Horror card game is pretty well regarded if you're okay with 2-player.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Arkham Horror LCG seats 1-4, what do you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

[*] First One to gently caress Something Up Loses

I too enjoy splotter games.