Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Hammerite posted:

Is this known for certain?

The fact that it says it's recommended that the move be forgotten suggests it's optional. The message is pretty clear that even if you keep the move, you won't be able to use it.

It doesn't seem like we can know what Pokemon Home will do if you transfer in mons that know moves that aren't in Sword/Shield. It is generally believed that it will allow you to transfer in mons of species that aren't in Sword/Shield, so it seems feasible that it might let you keep moves that aren't in Sword/Shield too.

I'm assuming recommended is their way of saying "either delete the move or you can't transfer the Pokémon into Sw/Sh."

Which is fine. If they aren't in the game anyway, why bother deleting their moves. But if you want to transfer your Machamp to use in Sw/Sh, make sure it doesn't have Karate Chop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I dunno if posting the full list of TMs and TRs count as spoilers, and I don't want a huge ugly black box of spoilers, so I'm just going to post my source and let you guys see it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Nanigans posted:

I'm assuming recommended is their way of saying "either delete the move or you can't transfer the Pokémon into Sw/Sh."

Which is fine. If they aren't in the game anyway, why bother deleting their moves. But if you want to transfer your Machamp to use in Sw/Sh, make sure it doesn't have Karate Chop.

Where does that wording you quoted come from? I had assumed it is in-game text from Sword/Shield itself, but maybe that was me jumping to conclusions.

If it is in-game text, then it suggests that the mon is already in the game and the game is suggesting that you should delete the move (because you won't be able to use it anyway). If it's text from somewhere outside the game, like a quote from Game Freak or something, then I was mistaken.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So judging by the early impressions of the late/post game it sounds like when I finish Sword/Shield I might have a hankering for more pocket monsters so I was thinking about Moon. If I have gotten up to like, the third gym trial thing before getting distracted and dropping it would it be better to get back into that or potentially buy Ultra Sun/Moon? Was thinking about doing that but was just wondering if the upgrades would be worth the purchase or not? It's been long enough that I barely remember where I was at as well so it'd basically be all new to me. The other option would be black/white 2 potentially.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Neo_Crimson posted:

So basically TRs aren't move tutors but just old style TMs? That's horsehit.

Lemme guess, Earthquake is once per save?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, if this is true it's one of the worst choices they've made, and that includes Dexit.

Everyone was happy with infinite TMs, no one wanted single use TMs to return, it's just a dumb and inconvenient thing to do.

You guys are wrong.

See that little bag symbol x0? That means you have zero in your bag. Meaning you can more than one in your bag. Meaning as long as you have Watts (wild area currency,) you can buy more. They're tutors by another name.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 11, 2019

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Hammerite posted:

Where does that wording you quoted come from? I had assumed it is in-game text from Sword/Shield itself, but maybe that was me jumping to conclusions.

If it is in-game text, then it suggests that the mon is already in the game and the game is suggesting that you should delete the move (because you won't be able to use it anyway). If it's text from somewhere outside the game, like a quote from Game Freak or something, then I was mistaken.

It's taken from the data mine. That line of text is the "move description" for the deleted moves.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Lmao @ Surf of all things being a TR

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

thebardyspoon posted:

So judging by the early impressions of the late/post game it sounds like when I finish Sword/Shield I might have a hankering for more pocket monsters so I was thinking about Moon. If I have gotten up to like, the third gym trial thing before getting distracted and dropping it would it be better to get back into that or potentially buy Ultra Sun/Moon? Was thinking about doing that but was just wondering if the upgrades would be worth the purchase or not? It's been long enough that I barely remember where I was at as well so it'd basically be all new to me. The other option would be black/white 2 potentially.

If you haven't played it and are open to it, Pokemon Prism is a really excellent ROMHack of Crystal with Pokemon from more generations, 20 gyms, and a nice difficulty curve. I've been playing it recently and was pleasantly surprised with how much fun I'm having.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Mizuti posted:

I dunno if posting the full list of TMs and TRs count as spoilers, and I don't want a huge ugly black box of spoilers, so I'm just going to post my source and let you guys see it.
TL;DR - basically every good TM move is a TR, hope you enjoy grinding for wild area BP

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

thebardyspoon posted:

There's more content generally in Ultra Sun/Moon. The story was altered, and some people were less satisfied with the new story. You'll have to decide whether the story is important enough to you.

There's also a lot of really good content in Black/White 2 (but Join Avenue is probably less good now that they aren't the current games)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
According to the datamine, the new fossils cannot breed. Thank goodness.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Nanigans posted:

It's taken from the data mine. That line of text is the "move description" for the deleted moves.

Well then it sounds to me like they were prepared for mons arriving in the game with the deleted moves still learned, and that text is the game's way of telling you "you should delete this, dummy" (but you don't have to)

Who knows whether Home will automatically delete moves though

Nanigans posted:

See that little bag symbol x0? That means you have zero in your bag. Meaning you can more than one in your bag. Meaning as long as you have Watts (wild area currency,) you can buy more. They're tutors by another name.

Do we know whether they are all buyable, or are there some that you only get one of

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Mizuti posted:

According to the datamine, the new fossils cannot be shiny farmed, have egg moves, will need nature candies, and will only have good IVs if you give them a bottlecap. Thank goodness.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pokemon can teach eachother egg moves in the daycare so at least part of that statement is potentially false.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Blaziken386 posted:

cannot
be shiny farmed
have egg moves
will need nature candies
and will only have good IVs if you give them a bottle cap

Not true, it will just be more difficult
Good?
Not true with Synchronize
Not necessarily true, they might have base 31 ivs in a few stats like certain other Pokémon that come from special circumstances

Kurieg posted:

Pokemon can teach eachother egg moves in the daycare so at least part of that statement is potentially false.

Only Pokémon of the same species can give egg moves

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

extra row of teeth posted:

I bet they’re removing Hidden Power because it’s more :effort: to stop people from putting themselves through IV Hell and/or hacking to get the appropriate coverage move than it is to just make it easier to change your Hidden Power somehow.

Yeah and I already went through that hell to make some of my pokemon actually loving viable. So it was all for nothing. Thanks so much gamefreak.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Flopsy posted:

Yeah and I already went through that hell to make some of my pokemon actually loving viable. So it was all for nothing. Thanks so much gamefreak.

lol

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ha yeah, other peoples unhappiness sure is good for a laugh isn't it huh? I'm seriously getting to the point of giving these games a miss and waiting for them actually fix some of this incredible goddamn nonsense.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Flopsy posted:

They were viable in the game you bred them I hope.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

IV poo poo is the biggest waste of time and it's you're own drat fault for forcing yourself to do it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Abundant Atrophy posted:

They were viable in the game you bred them I hope.

Oh yes. And I was hoping that all that effort would pay off in the future but OH WELL

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Flopsy posted:

Nanigans posted:

barring a few incredibly petty, and frankly entitled, sounding people...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Ha yeah, other peoples unhappiness sure is good for a laugh isn't it huh? I'm seriously getting to the point of giving these games a miss and waiting for them actually fix some of this incredible goddamn nonsense.

Then do it. Being unhappy enough that you can't reuse the same Pokemon every gen competitively is silly because every game introduces new stuff.

If you expected your Pokemon to be future proof competitively that is on you.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

IV poo poo is the biggest waste of time and it's you're own drat fault for forcing yourself to do it.

"I don't play like this therefore everyone that does is dumb"

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ImpAtom posted:

Then do it. Being unhappy enough that you can't reuse the same Pokemon every gen competitively is silly because every game introduces new stuff.

If you expected your Pokemon to be future proof competitively that is on you.

:hai:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

qnqnx posted:

"I don't play like this therefore everyone that does is dumb"

listen bub just 'cause you like eating poo poo don't mean we gotta pretend you're not eating poo poo

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

ImpAtom posted:

Really loving the implication it's now my fault that they've designed a system that encourages breeding etc. and then turns and around makes it all useless.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Flopsy posted:

Really loving the implication it's now my fault that they've designed a system that encourages breeding etc. and then turns and around makes it all useless.

It wasn’t useless if it worked in the games you bred them in you oatmeal brained child

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I stopped buying these after X&Y because “the same thing again but soul-crushingly easy” soured me on the series a bit, and it is sad to know I’d be buying this and having fun if it even had something like a challenge mode. Going “I don’t want to buy this thing I was invested in anymore” is always a sad conclusion to reach :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Flopsy posted:

Welcome to a new iteration of a game in a series dude.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bleck posted:

listen bub just 'cause you like eating poo poo don't mean we gotta pretend you're not eating poo poo

Whoever thought this thread was even remotely better than the outrage in Reddit well, here's proof it isn't.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nanigans posted:

It wasn’t useless if it worked in the games you bred them in you oatmeal brained child

It was if I bred pokemon specially for team building in the future, was I supposed to expect pokemon to dick me over? Or is it escaping you all this poo poo came out of nowhere. Also how sweet of you to go straight to name calling. Trust me when I tell you I'm keeping mine in check sweetie pumpkin poopsie pie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nanigans posted:

You guys are wrong.

So, much like tutors, they're TMs but slightly more annoying to use/get? :geno:

Eh, I still think they should just make all those moves TMs and be done with it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Nanigans posted:

You guys are wrong.

Yeah but what about Earthquake? And T-bolt, Ice Beam etc?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

So, for all the game is shaping up to be kind of a let down, the music certainly isn't!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_TPXbH7ee4
:hellyeah:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Flopsy posted:

It was if I bred pokemon specially for team building in the future

you do all things for reasons in the future

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Elblanco posted:

People think that the pokedex being cut, along with some moves and screenshots compared to old games that "look bad" think that is proof that game freak is lazy and incompetent and that pokemon needs to be taken from them and given to (insert studio/developer here).

In reality it's all knee jerk reactions to changes.

Do those screenshots look good? Do the graphics and textures of this game look good?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Flopsy posted:

It was if I bred pokemon specially for team building in the future, was I supposed to expect pokemon to dick me over? Or is it escaping you all this poo poo came out of nowhere. Also how sweet of you to go straight to name calling. Trust me when I tell you I'm keeping mine in check sweetie pumpkin poopsie pie.

Why would you breed for some hypothetical future game not knowing whether or not it would even still be a viable? That’s completely on you, you temper tantrum throwing toddler.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Nanigans posted:

Why would you breed for some hypothetical future game not knowing whether or not it would even still be a viable? That’s completely on you, you temper tantrum throwing toddler.

lmao Jesus dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Yes. Because *literally every Pokemon gen changes things* new types or new moves or Megas or Bigpokes or whatever.