Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It wouldn't even be the third most ridiculous Scooby-Doo crossover, you never know.

It wouldn't even be in the top ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3eA6nt0UoY

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UtaTn6XSoU

(Not that Scooby/Batman is that ridiculous, but Bat-Mite is pretty nuts.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

This one is from THIS YEAR.

https://youtu.be/aZAC39maTR8

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

wdarkk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UtaTn6XSoU

(Not that Scooby/Batman is that ridiculous, but Bat-Mite is pretty nuts.)
It came out during Grant Morrison's Batman run that existed on the premise that every single Batman story was in some way true. So Bat-Mite was having a bit of a moment in general circa 2008.

New Fred should really have an orange t-shirt, but I get not wanting to make his color scheme encroach on Velma.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 9, 2019

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

"It seems easy enough to, you know, not depict a relatively obscure territorial line that breaks international law in a movie for seven-year-olds, but hey—what do we know? Maybe Dreamworks has its reasons, reasons just as opaque and inscrutable as the decision to make another animated yeti movie in the first place."

'inscrutable' is an interesting word choice here

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vandar posted:

This one is from THIS YEAR.

https://youtu.be/aZAC39maTR8

Do kids even know who Urkel is?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kids gotta learn about Urkel sometime.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Of course I know who Urkel is, he was the original voice of Sonic

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The_Doctor posted:

Do kids even know who Urkel is?

Kids don't make the final purchasing decisions.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i'm working the christmas retail salt mines again and just wanted to let you know that frozen is still our #2 seller, second only to avengers bullshit. there doesn't seem to be a clear #3. all the other animations from the last like eight years have just vanished without a trace into the quicksand of pop culture

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i'm selling a little bit of peppa pig and paw patrol, occasionally a pokemon thing, but avengers and frozen make up at least 90% of the junk that passes my wretched counter

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fun part is this is a genuine crossover where the Scooby gang freak the gently caress out when they find out actual deadly monsters exist, and that cartoon physics aren't applying to them anymore. (The Supernatural gang end up dropped into a specific first-series episode)

Though Scooby and Shaggy are more "I told you, I loving told you they were real!"

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
The best crossover.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

deong posted:

The best crossover.

Venture Bros is cheating, it's the best everything

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The funny part is the implication through a few characters' comments is that the regular Scooby Gang also exists in the Venture Bros world. Then again, Mystery Inc made it clear the gang exists in many incarnations, one of which can be a murderous gang of vagrants based on various famous lunatics.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The funny part is the implication through a few characters' comments is that the regular Scooby Gang also exists in the Venture Bros world. Then again, Mystery Inc made it clear the gang exists in many incarnations, one of which can be a murderous gang of vagrants based on various famous lunatics.

have there been references to them existing in-world? i remember references to scooby doo as a show(triana mentioning hank dresses like fred from scooby-doo, colonel gentleman wanting a scooby doo board game, etc.), but i don't remember them also being in the universe ala 'action johnny'

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Scooby Doo has the weirdest and best eternal life.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Brother Entropy posted:

have there been references to them existing in-world? i remember references to scooby doo as a show(triana mentioning hank dresses like fred from scooby-doo, colonel gentleman wanting a scooby doo board game, etc.), but i don't remember them also being in the universe ala 'action johnny'

'Action Jonny' mentions getting a STD from Velma (or the other way around) and the Pirate Captain says he met Scooby-Doo. (Not surprising since he's a parody of Scooby-Doo villains)

It's maybe like how most people know Doc from The Rusty Venture Show.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

fauna posted:

i'm working the christmas retail salt mines again and just wanted to let you know that frozen is still our #2 seller, second only to avengers bullshit. there doesn't seem to be a clear #3. all the other animations from the last like eight years have just vanished without a trace into the quicksand of pop culture
Reminds me of my earlier lamentations about how all Zootopia merchandise is seemingly mandated to be contained in Japan despite it making a billion dollars worldwide.

Automatic Jill
Jan 27, 2012
We're not talking enough about about GREEN EGGS AND HAM on Netflix! I'm about halfway through and it is gorgeously, verging on needlessly (although who's complaining?), well-produced in the animation and design departments. Pascal Campion, whose work I've followed since I went to animation school, is the art director, and it shows in the fantastic use of lighting and colour. I have not seen hand-drawn character animation this warm and elaborate in a very long time, especially for TV. You can practically see the pencil texture boiling on the lines.

Aside from the animation, which would be reason enough to see it, there's a lot of other interesting creative choices going on. Instead of playing the characters and plot more or less straight from the source material, as in other Seuss adaptations (Cat in the Hat, The Grinch, Horton Hears a Who, The Lorax), it's like they just borrowed the playful art style and nonsensical wordplay, and turned to Pulp Fiction and Edward Hopper for everything else: So far the show has been paced along a road trip through funhouse mirror Americana, a world filled with greasy spoon diners, seedy motels, desert highways, scrapyards, farmhouses, carnivals and corn fields. Other stops/gags include desperate roadside attractions like "The World's Smallest Thermometer", and a picturesque small town called South Shvizelton that has a water tower displaying the motto "Better Than North Shvizelton for 52 Years". Under the hyperactive, manic-pixie-dream veneer, most of the characters are losers, sad-sacks and criminals. It's the kind of "kid's cartoon" that references everything from Les Miserable to Shawshank Redemption without being too overt about it; the references aren't not just cheap one-offs, but worked into the story in clever ways, and there's a good mix of mostly character-driven verbal and visual humour.

I've run out of things to say, except that if you love hand-drawn 2D animation, you should see this pronto no matter how annoying and non-consensual you find Sam's character. Just watch it with the audio off or something (although the VOs are great too, especially Michael Douglas as a perpetually beleaguered grump with broken dreams). Like others in this thread, I have no idea how or why this got made, but I'm very glad it did.

Some beautiful pencil test reels on Cartoon Brew (slightly spoilery, if that matters)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yea my wife and kids were watching this as I drifted in an out of a fever haze and I was really confused at how rambling a film it was until I realized it was a season's worth of show.

Upon meeting the rat in jail "is this Les Mis?"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
All this talk of Scooby Doo crossovers and no one mentions the Johnny Bravo cross over. :(

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My glasses! I can't see without my glasses!

Muh glassuhs! Ah can't be seen without muh glassuhs!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's really funny how Johnny Bravo fits into that dynamic. I remember the Cartoon Network bumper where he was dating Velma and even proposed to her, but she turned him down.

Feels like a theme with Johnny is that girls actually really like him when he just acts like a normal human being for five minutes rather than relentless pick-up lines. People could probably learn from that. Something similar to Rusty Venture.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Here we are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otcw8Wi_ggI

Darth TNT posted:

All this talk of Scooby Doo crossovers and no one mentions the Johnny Bravo cross over. :(

How about the one where Scooby Doo ends up in the Black Lodge, meets the man from another place, and provides a plausible (insofar as a Scooby Doo story can be plausible) explanation for his absence in the Twin Peaks revival.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I was pretty optimistic from the screenshots they showed but that trailer did not do it for me at ALL. Something about the way Shaggy and Scooby's faces are animated especially is really really offputting. Also their voices are awful

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm really slow about watching things, Finally saw spiderverse and was blown away.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Argue posted:

Here we are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otcw8Wi_ggI

How about the one where Scooby Doo ends up in the Black Lodge, meets the man from another place, and provides a plausible (insofar as a Scooby Doo story can be plausible) explanation for his absence in the Twin Peaks revival.

this doesn't look any better or worse than I would have expected, but for gently caress's sake, it's 2019, omniscient trailer narration has been all but extinct for many years now, why are we still making "in a world..." jokes

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This iteration of Scooby is very clean and articulate

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's really funny how Johnny Bravo fits into that dynamic. I remember the Cartoon Network bumper where he was dating Velma and even proposed to her, but she turned him down.

Feels like a theme with Johnny is that girls actually really like him when he just acts like a normal human being for five minutes rather than relentless pick-up lines. People could probably learn from that. Something similar to Rusty Venture.

Also his lack of pickiness helps too, he's dated numerous movie monsters. His most successful dates were with a Werewolf and a Vampire, although the latter he accidentally scared off by having garlic on his pasta and the former he got freaked out by a weird joke where on wednesdays she turned into a fat bald male stamp collector.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

General Dog posted:

This iteration of Scooby is very clean and articulate

he was also like that in Mystery Inc and Be Cool

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Automatic Jill posted:

We're not talking enough about about GREEN EGGS AND HAM on Netflix! I'm about halfway through and it is gorgeously, verging on needlessly (although who's complaining?), well-produced in the animation and design departments. Pascal Campion, whose work I've followed since I went to animation school, is the art director, and it shows in the fantastic use of lighting and colour. I have not seen hand-drawn character animation this warm and elaborate in a very long time, especially for TV. You can practically see the pencil texture boiling on the lines.

Aside from the animation, which would be reason enough to see it, there's a lot of other interesting creative choices going on. Instead of playing the characters and plot more or less straight from the source material, as in other Seuss adaptations (Cat in the Hat, The Grinch, Horton Hears a Who, The Lorax), it's like they just borrowed the playful art style and nonsensical wordplay, and turned to Pulp Fiction and Edward Hopper for everything else: So far the show has been paced along a road trip through funhouse mirror Americana, a world filled with greasy spoon diners, seedy motels, desert highways, scrapyards, farmhouses, carnivals and corn fields. Other stops/gags include desperate roadside attractions like "The World's Smallest Thermometer", and a picturesque small town called South Shvizelton that has a water tower displaying the motto "Better Than North Shvizelton for 52 Years". Under the hyperactive, manic-pixie-dream veneer, most of the characters are losers, sad-sacks and criminals. It's the kind of "kid's cartoon" that references everything from Les Miserable to Shawshank Redemption without being too overt about it; the references aren't not just cheap one-offs, but worked into the story in clever ways, and there's a good mix of mostly character-driven verbal and visual humour.

I've run out of things to say, except that if you love hand-drawn 2D animation, you should see this pronto no matter how annoying and non-consensual you find Sam's character. Just watch it with the audio off or something (although the VOs are great too, especially Michael Douglas as a perpetually beleaguered grump with broken dreams). Like others in this thread, I have no idea how or why this got made, but I'm very glad it did.

Some beautiful pencil test reels on Cartoon Brew (slightly spoilery, if that matters)

I really liked how they worked the full rant/quote in as a response and rejection to everything Sam I Am represented to Guy am I. It managed to pack it with such vitriol and anger that you really felt it. It is the nadir of Sam and Guy's friendship, almost the breaking point, and in a rant that quotes 4/5ths of the book Guy just rips into him. Not just angry, angry for a good, justified reason. Then of course he goes a step too far. I also like that Sam remains a manuplative person even after his face turn, by manipulating the villain with the phony chickaraff so he'll not follow them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Girls AND Samurai Jack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOeo_zHTWB4

Yeah, the running theme of Johnny Bravo (in so much as a gag cartoon has a theme) is the only thing standing in the way of Johnny getting a date is his own bad behavior. When he acts like a regular human person and treats women like regular human people they're actually interested in spending time with him, but then he goes right back to his dumbass macho ways. There was even an episode where he turned into a woman and, after getting harassed the way he harasses women, he realized "Hey! The way I treat women is wrong! I should be more respectful and change my ways!" he then promptly forgot this lesson because that's how gag cartoons work.

Anyway, the whole Scooby Doo and Johnny Bravo cross over episode is golden: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6cfcdq

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ok the most interesting part of this movie is not in this trailer.

it kinda reveals that it's using the other characters in the Hanna-Barbarra-verse but does not reveal that Marky Mark is the voice of Blue Falcon, Ken Jeong is Dynomutt, and Tracy Morgan is Captain Caveman.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, the running theme of Johnny Bravo (in so much as a gag cartoon has a theme) is the only thing standing in the way of Johnny getting a date is his own bad behavior. When he acts like a regular human person and treats women like regular human people they're actually interested in spending time with him, but then he goes right back to his dumbass macho ways. There was even an episode where he turned into a woman and, after getting harassed the way he harasses women, he realized "Hey! The way I treat women is wrong! I should be more respectful and change my ways!" he then promptly forgot this lesson because that's how gag cartoons work.

It's a show about toxic masculinity made before the term even existed, it's great. It also had a sort of reverse-Flanderization where as the show went on Johnny became less about getting girls and more just about being a vain idiot who gets into hijinks with his wacky friends and their proto-Family Guy guest stars.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

there was also an episode where a PUA was teaching Johnny the ropes about being 'sincere and sensitive' and then go 'Can't do it? Lie through your teeth like I am!' - and Johnny was appalled, he may be a sleazebag, but he rather get into a relationship honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

It's a show about toxic masculinity made before the term even existed, it's great. It also had a sort of reverse-Flanderization where as the show went on Johnny became less about getting girls and more just about being a vain idiot who gets into hijinks with his wacky friends and their proto-Family Guy guest stars.

huh i never knew seth macfarlane actually worked on johnny bravo. that's... weird but i can see it