Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Of course I'm sounding terrible noble but Bulbasaur's back in so haha I won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ROFL Octopus posted:

You can change natures and pass on egg moves without breeding. This would be incredible for pokemon you invested time in before.
*still hoping to god that alolan raichu is in to fix my shiny pichus' natures*

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

HopperUK posted:

I don't think there's any need to be lovely to each other about all this.

It's clear we all play the games differently and for different reasons. It sucks that some people feel their enjoyment has been destroyed by the decisions the devs have made. Seriously, that's rough - it's something lost for those people and there's no point going 'haha you enjoy the game in a particular way and now you can't, you IDIOT'.

Those of us who haven't really lost out by this and are still excited don't have to get defensive when other people are really miserable about the changes. I'm going to have a great time, but it's still a shame that everyone can't. Even if some reactions seem extreme to me I try to consider that they come from a place of genuine love for the series.

This.

There’s things coming that I’ve wanted to see in the game since starting competitive in Gen 3 shoddy battle. (Was shoddy gen 3 or 4? I think 3). There’s things being taken away that I’m having a hard time calling the series “Pokemon” without. I’m simultaneously hyped and devastated and it’s a weird and unpleasant feeling. But you know what, gently caress it. The main game and the endgame pvp will justify the price, for me at least.

Every single person will have to ask themselves wether or not the game is worth it to them this time based on factors X, Y and Z rather than blindly buying it, and that’s okay.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blaziken386 posted:

So, for all the game is shaping up to be kind of a let down, the music certainly isn't!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_TPXbH7ee4
:hellyeah:

Oh yeah, this is a groove.

As is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCG98StBDfQ

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would care more about people being upset if I didn't know that people calling it lovely trash were going to buy it day 1. Being upset your favorite Pokemon isn't in a game is fine but getting furious about how disrespectful it is and what a bad move it is doesn't mean poo poo if you can't control yourself well enough to not buy a game.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Perfect Potato posted:

Edit: I don't know why this poo poo's so hard to load sometimes and honestly I put about as much effort in my posts as gamefreak so gently caress it

Oh wow, I'm in awe. That is some impressive pop-in. :stare:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ImpAtom posted:

I would care more about people being upset if I didn't know that people calling it lovely trash were going to buy it day 1. Being upset your favorite Pokemon isn't in a game is fine but getting furious about how disrespectful it is and what a bad move it is doesn't mean poo poo if you can't control yourself well enough to not buy a game.

:yeah:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, with all the cut mons and moves, we still don’t know how previous gen transfers are going to work, do we?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Perfect Potato posted:

Edit: I don't know why this poo poo's so hard to load sometimes and honestly I put about as much effort in my posts as gamefreak so gently caress it

what the hell? It looks like it's running on a Nintendo 64

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Talk for yourself, I am already set on not buying it. Voting with my wallet, even if I know that voting with your wallet doesn't work.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Whew man, the day/night cycle being broken/turned off in some areas hurts me way more than it should

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

qnqnx posted:

Talk for yourself, I am already set on not buying it. Voting with my wallet, even if I know that voting with your wallet doesn't work.

Sure thing. I'll believe it when you're not posting about the game in this thread once it is out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

qnqnx posted:

Oh yeah we know that from you. You have been bitching about it for a long time now.

Anyway in a take I am sure many of you will disagree with. I say we don't need new pokemon anymore. Regional Formes and Evolutions are basically new pokemon in some cases and can fulfill the same role.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

So, with all the cut mons and moves, we still don’t know how previous gen transfers are going to work, do we?

All we know for now is it’s Home or Go Home, and most likely if your mon isn’t in SwSh it gets to chill in Home and wait for the next title that has it in the roster.

So for example my favorite, Sawsbuck, will chill in Home until Pokemon Bow and Pokemon Gun come out in 2022 or whatever. But my other favorites, Venusaur, Ninetales, and Weavile, got that border pass so they can come into SwSh.

This is cobbled together from a mixture of interviews and fan speculation so please take it with a grain of salt. Or a mountain of fandom salt from Reddit, if you want.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Sure thing. I'll believe it when you're not posting about the game in this thread once it is out.

I don't need to buy Sw/Sh to talk about the franchise, or any of the games. What is your issue, again?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'll also take this challenge because I'm not buying this turd!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

extra row of teeth posted:

All we know for now is it’s Home or Go Home, and most likely if your mon isn’t in SwSh it gets to chill in Home and wait for the next title that has it in the roster.

So for example my favorite, Sawsbuck, will chill in Home until Pokemon Bow and Pokemon Gun come out in 2022 or whatever. But my other favorites, Venusaur, Ninetales, and Weavile, got that border pass so they can come into SwSh.

This is cobbled together from a mixture of interviews and fan speculation so please take it with a grain of salt. Or a mountain of fandom salt from Reddit, if you want.

I'll be shocked if Pokemon Ultragun doesn't hit before the end of 2020

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyway in a take I am sure many of you will disagree with. I say we don't need new pokemon anymore. Regional Formes and Evolutions are basically new pokemon in some cases and can fulfill the same role.

Probably equally unpopular, but I'm the exact opposite, Pokémon's only really that interesting for the new mons, while regional formes especially just feel like kind of cheap ways to make a new mon, but then not go all the way and also give it a unique name instead of "Vulpix except cold" :shrug:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Zodack posted:

Whew man, the day/night cycle being broken/turned off in some areas hurts me way more than it should

Sprinkle in a bunch of overworld Ninetales models casting Drought in the daytime-locked areas, problem solved :haw:

ImpAtom posted:

Pokemon AK-47: Back to Unova

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

qnqnx posted:

I don't need to buy Sw/Sh to talk about the franchise, or any of the games. What is your issue, again?

I said about the game.

And my issue is that a I'm genuinely tired of a bunch of adults screaming nonstop about how terrible something is that literally every other long running thing does because Gamefreak erased all their previous games or something.

Don't buy the game. Play something else. I fully support that.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Sprinkle in a bunch of overworld Ninetales models casting Drought in the daytime-locked areas, problem solved :haw:

This raises an interesting question that I've never considered: weather-related moves I have always assumed simply controlled the weather and Sunny Day I always assumed made the weather conditions such that it was warm and there was glaring sunlight. But Sunny Day at night time means...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

that's probably gonna be the one route that actually makes me angry and I'm just waiting for it to wash over me

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Hammerite posted:

what the hell? It looks like it's running on a Nintendo 64

I think what's happening here is that those trees (which I bet are the berry bushes) are handled differently than the lovely boxy looking environmental trees. I bet the game handles them as basically the same kind of object as the wild pokemon, so pop-in is an issue with them where it wouldn't be with the other trees.

edit: looks bad no matter the explanation though lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

that's probably gonna be the one route that actually makes me angry and I'm just waiting for it to wash over me

I just gave up on buying the improved versions myself. I just don't like Pokemon enough for that and it feels dumb.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

ImpAtom posted:

I said about the game.

So people who don't buy or play games can't talk about them ever?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I said about the game.

And my issue is that a I'm genuinely tired of a bunch of adults screaming nonstop about how terrible something is that literally every other long running thing does because Gamefreak erased all their previous games or something.

I will do exactly that. But I will also keep discussing Sword/Shield and it's effect on the franchise.

THE loving MOON posted:

I think what's happening here is that those trees (which I bet are the berry bushes) are handled differently than the lovely boxy looking environmental trees. I bet the game handles them as basically the same kind of object as the wild pokemon, so pop-in is an issue with them where it wouldn't be with the other trees.

edit: looks bad no matter the explanation though lol

Yeah, they are the berry bushes. Interactive and all and still looking very jarring, both in pop in and textures.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I said about the game.

And my issue is that a I'm genuinely tired of a bunch of adults screaming nonstop about how terrible something is

Isn’t that an Overwatch av? From one Blizzard fan to another, you should be immune to that by now lol.

Zodack posted:

This raises an interesting question that I've never considered: weather-related moves I have always assumed simply controlled the weather and Sunny Day I always assumed made the weather conditions such that it was warm and there was glaring sunlight. But Sunny Day at night time means...

Sunkern has the power to pull celestial bodies around temporarily. FEAR THE SUNKERN.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ImpAtom posted:

I said about the game.

It's really this. You have a problem with something? Fine. But don't act like a child about it.

The developers aren't out there to take a dump on your dreams and your friends, but the way some people go about it, they act like they're being personally attacked.

Notice that it's only a handful of people who are quoted over and over when they voice a negative comment, despite there being plenty of people in here with negative things to say. It's not what they're saying, but how.

This game is set in England. Stiff upper lip and all that. Wot wot.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Nanigans posted:

The animations and expressions and designs look good. And like I said, a lot of this stuff looks better in motion than in stills.

The animations of the pokemon series have been awful for some time, and this game is not an exception (from what we've seen so far). It's honestly almost embarrassingly amateur for a product that has as much cash as the Pokemon franchise, and it's a major contributor to why I haven't purchased these games for several generations now. The games look like they are developed by a team with moderate experience that's trying to get something out of the door before they run out of cash.

Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu puts all that on display in the most grotesque fashion, where I'm not even sure some of the moves have actual animations and instead just move a model around the screen. I mean, the mode where you can interact directly with your pokemon has animations that can't even loop or reset to a neutral state properly. It's supremely lazy and it's the kind of thing I'd absolutely accept if it didn't come out of the most valuable IP in the world.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sunkern has the power to pull celestial bodies around temporarily. FEAR THE SUNKERN.

Nobody talk poo poo about my perfect grass son or he will gently caress up your whole star system.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

So people who don't buy or play games can't talk about them ever?

People who whine nonstop in threads about games they don't play are pretty goddamn tedious, yes. Though not as tedious as people who hateplay games.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I don't know why people are acting like this is a one and done? Barring a handful I think most Pokemon have been in more than just their first regional Pokedex; I'm sure future games will rotate things in and out on a need basis. This includes remakes. I think this is what Pokemon HOME will ultimately be fore, a repository to store poo poo like Bank with the intent that it can be or will be able to see future use.

Maybe Hidden Power will come back. Maybe Pursuit will. All the Pokemon not in this game, definitely will. They usually try and have them show up in at least one game a generation, except for Gen II and Gen V where the previous games were on the same console.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ImpAtom posted:

Just because other game series does a thing doesn't automatically make it okay when applied to a different game series that has different expectations and such. It could just not mesh in well with what that game is trying to do. (Or it could be a bad practice in general that just gets widely accepted. Depends on the circumstances.)

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

While some new ones would be welcomed, I'd be fine if the direction going forward were 'smaller' story campaigns to field selections of returning and regional-shifted monsters, with HOME as a robust hub for more people who couldn't care about running through a campaign to do their battling/trading. Just make the Battle Frontier game, basically.
Still skipping Sword/Shield despite loving the fossils and Punk Rock, though.

Abundant Atrophy fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 11, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Isn’t that an Overwatch av? From one Blizzard fan to* another, you should be immune to that by now lol.

Oh poo poo. I forgot I even had that.

Nah Blizzard sucks. I liked OW but that was it and I deleted my account after their HK poo poo.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Nanigans posted:

Notice that it's only a handful of people who are quoted over and over when they voice a negative comment, despite there being plenty of people in here with negative things to say. It's not what they're saying it, but how.
you'll also notice that it's another small group of people being quoted over and over for going "pokemon is good actually shut up with criticisms you manbabies" in a way that's perhaps even more annoying

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Perfect Potato posted:

Goddamn that's worse than FFXII pop-in

and it's even got that early 3D game fog to mask it

what did you do gamefreak

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Araxxor posted:

Just because other game series does a thing doesn't automatically make it okay when applied to a different game series that has different expectations and such. It could just not mesh in well with what that game is trying to do. (Or it could be a bad practice in general that just gets widely accepted. Depends on the circumstances.)

I mean, in this case the expectations around Pokemon are unsustainable. Sure, they could fit 1000 Pokemon in SwSh, but what about a few generations down the line, when it's 1500? 2000? The idea that they could keep fitting every Pokemon ever designed in every single game was never going to last forever.

That said, removing moves is dumb and I don't like the new TR info, that feels like a huge step back for no reason.

E: Holy poo poo, that pop-in is obscene. This isn't loving Silent Hill, what the gently caress Game Freak?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
By the way, Toxtricity has a move called Overdrive where it literally pulls out a guitar or bass guitar to blast sound at their opponents. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Araxxor posted:

So. Genuine question. Did you expect Gamefreak to support over a thousand Pokemon for every game from now until we are dead? Most Pokemon fans I know have been expecting this for years. Pokemon straight up *had* to prune eventually, if just due to the ten billion legendaries.