Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

pantslesswithwolves posted:

And I maintain that while Hogg is very much a young person who should be allowed some flexibility and understanding in his personal conduct, he is also very much a public figure who is taking a very profound advocacy stance on a major issue, and as such, he’s being held to a higher standard, fairly or otherwise. At the very least, he should have asked himself whether meeting with members of a violent fascist street gang was a good idea or not. it never is

Also, here’s a battle cry for the 21st century... or something.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1193919369153261568?s=20

Did big-brain Donnie forget his Adderal this morning or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mlmp08 posted:

There is nothing that could happen that would make that horse hair display make sense.

You are aware the first world war is basically considered the defining moment for Australasia?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Anyone else go the extra mile to not identify themselves as a Veteran on Veteran's Day? People make such a big deal out it of everyday anymore that asking for special treatment today seems selfish.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Veterans day is the only time I let the cat outta the bag. Well it can come up organically, but today I am shoving my freedom papers in the face of every liquor store man to get a free beer.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Running out of WW2 vets to thank

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

SimonCat posted:

Anyone else go the extra mile to not identify themselves as a Veteran on Veteran's Day? People make such a big deal out it of everyday anymore that asking for special treatment today seems selfish.

I'm not even leaving the loving house.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Running out of WW2 vets to thank

This is how I feel. The group of old guys there gathered for their breakfast felt like they had a sense of community that I definitely don't have with anyone in town. I think it's because so many people from the same areas all served at the same time that the sense of camaraderie exists with them isn't replicated with later generations.

I mean, it felt really awkward to me when I came back from Iraq and had a guy wearing a Korean War Veteran hat thank me for my service . Like, dude, you saw some real poo poo, I just jacked off in the desert for 12 months.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You are aware the 1981 film Gallipoli is basically considered the defining moment for Australasia?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You are aware the first world war is basically considered the defining moment for Australasia?

Where’s that? Does it have oil terrorists in need of democracy?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

SimonCat posted:

Everyone that I work for and everyone that works for me, with one exception, knows to not say anything. My one boss sent a sappy thank-you email on Friday but it's totally in-character for him so whatever.

However, there's a fair amount of people I've worked with that don't know I hate that poo poo, so my phone has been put on DnD mode all day.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SimonCat posted:

Yep. I barely say anything about it.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

SimonCat posted:

I mean, it felt really awkward to me when I came back from Iraq and had a guy wearing a Korean War Veteran hat thank me for my service . Like, dude, you saw some real poo poo, I just jacked off in the desert for 12 months.
I mean, to be fair he may have jacked off in the snow for 12 months too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/11/politics/donald-trump-tax-returns/index.html

quote:

(CNN)A Trump-appointed federal judge decided Monday that President Donald Trump can't sue New York state officials in a Washington, DC, court at this time to stop the release of his tax returns to Congress.

The case is one of many where the President or his administration have asked federal judges to intervene before House Democrats obtain Trump's financial records.

"Mr. Trump may press his claims against the New York Defendants in this Court should future events support the exercise of personal jurisdiction over them, or he may opt to pursue those claims in an appropriate forum," Nichols wrote in his opinion, which dismissed Trump's lawsuit against the New York state officials. The judge is still considering whether Trump can sue the House Ways and Means Committee to stop it from requesting his returns under the state law.

In this case, Trump had sued New York state and the House to preempt a new New York state law, called the TRUST Act. Congress hadn't yet requested his state tax returns under the law.

The New York State Attorney General's Office had argued that the case "plainly belongs in a New York court."

Trump had argued that the DC federal court was the right place to sue because New York state would send the tax returns to Washington if Congress requested them.

But Nichols, a Trump appointee to the federal bench in Washington, sided with New York on Monday

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

kill me now posted:

Eh, pretty sure they had whore houses in Korea.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

McNally posted:

I'm not even leaving the loving house.

my man

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Why is he fighting so hard on his taxes????

Lol

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Out of curiosity, wouldn't it be a conflict of interest for a presidential appointed judge to rule on a case in which that president is a party? Or is there something else?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Defenestrategy posted:

Out of curiosity, wouldn't it be a conflict of interest for a presidential appointed judge to rule on a case in which that president is a party? Or is there something else?

The theory is that since the appointment is for life the judge in question doesn't need to feel beholden to the president.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

McNally posted:

The theory is that since the appointment is for life the judge in question doesn't need to feel beholden to the president.

What a nice theory.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

What a nice theory.

Seems like criminal prosecutions would grind to a halt if you had to start finding district court judges appointed more than 7 years ago to try any case involving the DoJ.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol

because he's not as rich as he claims and is laundering money out the loving wazoo like every other real estate magnate

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Seems like criminal prosecutions would grind to a halt if you had to start finding district court judges appointed more than 7 years ago to try any case involving the DoJ.

There's a difference between the president being a plaintiff or defendant and the United States being a plaintiff or a defendant in my opinion.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

kill me now posted:

Absolutely. War is jacking off in desolate locations. Being a VETERAN is catching praise-spray off whatever miniscule percentage of people in uniform -including deployed- actually took any part in killing or attempting to kill the enemy.

I have zero doubt that the highest rate of prolonged combat exposure for any unit in human history is the loving nerds running the drone joysticks since 9/11.

BUT. When the Korea vet thanks you for your service, you thank him back. Because The Warrior Class grift is the proletariat's secret little boot strap.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

SimonCat posted:

Dear Boss,

I'm taking VA day off. If anybody asks, please tell them I am home with violent diarrhea.

XOXO
EBB

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol

Dude sued a journalist for 5 billion in libel damages because the journalist's best figuring was he was worth 200-250 mill in an article. He cant not be a fucknugget

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

the first world war was defining for canada as well, it brought us a lot more independence from the tyrant royalty

edit: actual content

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1194007978241908738

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 11, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

if all you did on deployment is beat off then you are just as entitled to your free olive garden as i am

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is gonna sound pretty melodramatic, but when I look at all the death and destruction the US military has inflicted on other countries and its own citizens, all in the name of maintaining capitalism and enriching the rich, I have trouble feeling anything other than shame for having been a part of it.

Eat Arby's.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

colachute posted:

if all you did on deployment is beat off then you are just as entitled to your free olive garden as i am

Many years ago when I was a young Sailor at an Air Force base that serviced the joint force, I often wondered why anyone would signup to be in Services to hand out basketballs. Years later I realized that those Airmen doing that job got the same pay as me and same post service benefits and mostly no one in the civilian world cares about what we did in the military.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So two years ago, Jon Oliver did a piece on the coal industry in the US, and had some choice words for notoriously litigant and giant piece of poo poo Bob Murray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw6RsUhw1Q8

Murray, of course, sued after the video was released, and only just recently dropped the case, allowing Oliver to talk about the suit, and these kinds of lawsuits in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN8bJb8biZU

It is well worth watching it to the end.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I can’t wait to jack off across the Med.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The ending is loving amazing

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

Many years ago when I was a young Sailor at an Air Force base that serviced the joint force, I often wondered why anyone would signup to be in Services to hand out basketballs. Years later I realized that those Airmen doing that job got the same pay as me and same post service benefits and mostly no one in the civilian world cares about what we did in the military.

Client of mine spent 30 years trying to hire fellow mil guys(he was a Marine Vietnam vet). In all that time, no one else in the office cared about each other's service until like 2008 when two recent hires, both Marines, got into a fight in the warehouse over who's service was more important.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

LingcodKilla posted:

I can’t wait to jack off across the Med.

The sun never sets on the Spankish Empire.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So two years ago, Jon Oliver did a piece on the coal industry in the US, and had some choice words for notoriously litigant and giant piece of poo poo Bob Murray:

This is also one of the most recent coal company bankruptcies to be filed. Of course it means pensioners and employees will get fist hosed raw and lose everything while capitalist vultures pick the bones clean first, but that's basically what bankruptcy laws are for anymore so welp.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stravag posted:

The ending is loving amazing

Not emptyquoting, but this needs to be emphasized.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

KirbyKhan posted:

Veterans day is the only time I let the cat outta the bag. Well it can come up organically, but today I am shoving my freedom papers in the face of every liquor store man to get a free beer.
I'm eating out, but at a spot where there's no deals or anything.

My real confession is that I try to play the card to get out of paying for checked baggage.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It is well worth watching it to the end.

That was amazing.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Canada's Racist Grandpa, Don Cherry, has just been fired from Coach's Corner for saying some pretty racist poo poo on live TV

The CHUDs are out in loving force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MA-Horus posted:

Canada's Racist Grandpa, Don Cherry, has just been fired from Coach's Corner for saying some pretty racist poo poo on live TV

The CHUDs are out in loving force.

:lol: good

The best part is what he was fired for.
ranting about Remembrance Poppies, or more specifically, immigrants not wearing them