Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Runcible Cat posted:

I think you're overthinking it - I doubt Bond intends to pick the locks, he's most likely just planning to shim the latches.

Which assumes SPECTRE isn't going to lock the Yales, but given that they seem to operate on the principle of giving any potential spies plenty of opportunities to get caught doing sneaky spy poo poo that's pretty plausible.

Shims are only really usable with certain insecure lock designs. A great many locks don’t have the space for a shim or a mechanism that can simply be pushed aside, whereas regular picks can take down most pin-tumbler locks with sufficient practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

chitoryu12 posted:

Shims are only really usable with certain insecure lock designs. A great many locks don’t have the space for a shim or a mechanism that can simply be pushed aside, whereas regular picks can take down most pin-tumbler locks with sufficient practice.

True, but basic Yales on internal hotel doors would certainly be worth trying one on if you're James Bond wanting to wander round Hotel Blofeld in the middle of the night. If it failed I daresay he'd try and snaffle a steak knife or suchlike the next night.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’m currently in DC and decided to make a visit to a certain museum.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Ahahaha holy poo poo

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I so wish "Ron D overfeeds Maria" was for spy who loved me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I can’t stop laughing at this one

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chitoryu12 posted:

Babycham is one of the most absurdly feminine drinks of Britain. It's a sparkling perry (pear cider) that was specifically targeted to women with a strong TV presence.

That's interesting, I consider pear to be an unlikely candidate for a "most absurdly feminine" cider. Babychams must have sweetened theirs; what I love about a good pear cider is that it has the crispness and tartness of any good cider but without the sweetness that can make even a really tart cider cloying. At work we had half-kegs of pear cider at summer barbecues and it was torture; I love the stuff but indulging myself properly at work is just not on.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I could write 4000 words about the cultural and class significance of Babycham; Fleming's making a very specific statement by having her drink it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

I could write 4000 words about the cultural and class significance of Babycham; Fleming's making a very specific statement by having her drink it.

:justpost:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Trin Tragula posted:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Trin Tragula posted:

The last word in cargo cult glamour and sophistication. My parents owned pubs in the 70’s, we always had boxes of extremely cheap tacky Babycham goods, including their signature fake champagne coupe with peeling gold foil rim.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mllaneza posted:

That's interesting, I consider pear to be an unlikely candidate for a "most absurdly feminine" cider. Babychams must have sweetened theirs; what I love about a good pear cider is that it has the crispness and tartness of any good cider but without the sweetness that can make even a really tart cider cloying. At work we had half-kegs of pear cider at summer barbecues and it was torture; I love the stuff but indulging myself properly at work is just not on.

It’s not the contents as much as the image. Babycham aggressively marketed itself as a woman’s drink with a cutesy cartoon fawn as its mascot.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

OK, so there's two parts to the cultural signifiers that Fleming lays down in that passage. Having her drink Babycham is the last part of the setup; the final condemnation is the bit that comes at the end of the sentence.

quote:

...and occasionally saying "pardon".

edit: I lied, this is mostly about "pardon", not Babycham

The word "pardon?" (in the sense of "I did not hear what you said, please repeat it") is an exceptionally loaded word in England. It's a perfect example of a phenomenon that repeats itself over and over in all kinds of different contexts, and it goes something like this: people from working-class or lower-middle backgrounds want to be social climbers and be seen as refined and genteel and respectable and posh. They demonstrate this by doing things that they think demonstrate those qualities, and so hope to blend in with, infiltrate, and finally ascend into, the upper and upper-middle classes. Unfortunately, and ironically, what they actually end up doing is signalling to uppers and upper-middles that they're from lower origins, and are also gigantic tryhards, worthy of mockery and disdain; and so we end up with an entire sitcom being made about the comedic misadventures of such a person.

Just about the biggest crime it's possible to commit in this regard is to say "pardon?" The (entirely idiotic and snobbish) reasoning goes like this: working-class people know their place and don't really care all that much how they're thought of, so if they can't hear you, they say "What?" (or "you wot, mate?" or some other variant) rather bluntly. The true upper classes are also entirely secure in their positions and don't care what you think (although for completely different reasons); so they also say "what?" when they can't hear. The upper-middles are slightly more insecure - they know not to say "pardon?", but they still have a lingering idea that Politeness Matters, so they will say "sorry?", or possibly "sorry, what?", being slightly less blunt. Your social climber, your lower-middle or middle-middle, your Hyacinth Bucket, will be so obsessed with Manners and Politeness that saying "what?" is far too blunt for them, and so they resort to "I beg your pardon?" or "pardon?", an over-dramatic over-emphasised version of the upper-middle "sorry?" It's such a serious crime that most of the upper classes would far rather hear their children say "gently caress" than "pardon".

I promise I am not making this up. Anyone here follow Royal Family drama? Before there was Meghan, there was Kate Middleton. There was also Kate Middleton's mother, who attracted a great deal of negative press coverage and malicious leaking to the gutter press after (and again, I promise am not making this up) it was reported that she had said "Pleased to meet you", "pardon", and "toilet" in the presence of the Queen (all of them gigantic clunking middle-class crimes against the aristocracy that marked her infallibly as someone who was unfit to be in the presence of the Sovereign). And it's one thing for the Daily Mail to get hysterical about this sort of thing, that's what they're for - but even the BBC, three years later, felt compelled to use the word "allegations" to describe the stories. Allegations! A word that's only used in reference to major criminal cases and political scandals.

Fleming may not have been an aristocrat, but he was high enough up the ladder to know how obscene "pardon?" was, and what it represented. That's why it comes last in the sentence. He builds the picture of the young naive social climber of humble origins up piece by piece, setting things up for the knockout at the end. She goes to pubs, to begin with. She sits with men in pubs. She drinks Babycham, itself the Hyacinth Bucket of alcoholic drinks, a nouveau drink with no history and no pedigree, specifically marketed to social climbers as something exciting and classy and refined - an original slogan was "genuine champagne perry". She's trying to smoke, and doing it very badly. And then, most damningly of all, she says "pardon". It's literally one of the bitchiest things he ever wrote, and a great many of the people who would have read it, it would have gone right over their heads, and they would have had no idea Fleming was having a joke at their expense.

He then slips off into a moment's refreshing sexism; but then confirms where he's coming from with:

quote:

And there were traces of many accents, accents from all over Britain – the broad vowels of Lancashire, the lilt of Wales, the burr of Scotland, the adenoids of refined Cockney.

None of these things are good. Until the 1990s, a regional accent was a clear, unmistakeable, indelible marker of lower-class origins. This is why, for instance, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen have such distinctive voices. They're not voices anyone in England has naturally, they're the kind of voices that a pair of lads from Up North (Huddersfield and Burnley) must develop before they can graduate from spear-carrying in the Royal Shakespeare Company. For once, Fleming is not attempting to make something seem more glamorous and high-class by emphasising the diversity of something - here, he's doing exactly the opposite.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 9, 2019

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

To all of that I can only say

:thermidor:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trin Tragula’s explanations of British society and history always welcome.

I just came from the Parade of Trabants in DC and was lucky enough to take a few circles around the block in one! The engine sounds awful (it’s a two-stroke) the exhaust fumes fill the cabin, the suspension is like a water bed, and my 6’2 knees were against the dash. My driver took a loop at speed and it was like being in the world’s flimsiest rally car. It’s like riding a cracker box on wheels powered by a lawnmower engine. It’s incredible.

I also saw a much crazier Trabant owner catch air on a speed bump!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

My driver took a loop at speed and it was like being in the world’s flimsiest rally car.

Funny you should say that, because Trabants are still being rallied semi-frequently in Central Europe on proper closed special-stage rallies as momentum cars; they're cheap and easy to run and easy to fix with a hammer, you don't care too much if you bin it and have to get another one, and you can't go fast enough to do yourself any serious damage if you do bin it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I missed a few days last week, so as a little extra I'm going to make another post on some extra Bond content: the video games. Many are familiar with the recent first-person shooters, but not many know that Bond actually has a long gaming history with annual releases for over a decade before!

The year is 1982. For Your Eyes Only is the latest Bond film and Octopussy is in the works. With Bond at some of his greatest popularity, what else do you do but make a computer game?

Shaken but Not Stirred was a text adventure, of all things, released for the ZX Spectrum computer made by Richard Shepherd Software. Bond must stop Dr. Death, who's holding London ransom with a nuke. The surprisingly complex game involves locating anagrams around the world, traversing islands as you come under attack by priests and sharks, and solving a maze in Dr. Death's lair where you face off with his midget henchman Tic Tac. Keeping true to the novels, you can replenish your health by finding a stock of Benzedrine. While the game received positive reviews, it's notoriously difficult and obtuse and people attempting to play it today are often frustrated by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUdHKgu3j6o

In 1983, Parker Brothers published James Bond 007 for the Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 8-bit family, Commodore 64, ColecoVision, and Sega SG-1000. Initially Parker Brothers had tried to get a game based on the recently released Octopussy, but the project fell through and they hired On Time Software to make an original game. The levels are loosely based on scenes from the films, but for the most part it's a typical side-scrolling shooter. The game is quite difficult and the ColecoVision (like many ColecoVision ports) has far simpler graphics and a difficult controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qJxYDSD40M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itZDphPOlOc

In 1985, two separate video games for A View to a Kill were released. The more famous one, made by Domark for the ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, Oric 1 and Oric Atmos, and MSX, is an action game with levels in Paris, San Francisco's City Hall, and Zorin's mine. Unique features like a grappling hook gun and switching perspectives between levels (going from a first-person driving sequence to a side-scrolling one) set it apart, but it received mixed reviews that (as usual) varied depending on what system you played it on. It suffered from numerous bugs and frustrating controls, while the Amstrad version has no music whatsoever and the ZX Spectrum has awful sound design.

Angelsoft also made a text adventure for the DOS, Macintosh, and Apple II at the same time. It infamously required knowledge from the film to beat, rendering the game impossible to complete without watching the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNyglEc8avk

In 1986 Angelsoft released another text adventure, this time for Goldfinger. As you can see, the interface has an extremely short vocabulary that requires you to know exactly what the developers intended for you to type at any time. Making a wrong move is an instant or near-instant failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rh6pv7pKAM

Not a year went by without a Bond game, with The Living Daylights getting a shooter for the Amstrad CPC, Amstrad PCW, Atari 8-bit, BBC Micro, Commodore 64, MSX, and ZX Spectrum (developing games in the 80s sounds like an absolute chore) from Domark. To accommodate the different systems, Richard Naylor designed the basic game and Domark hired Sculpted Software, De Re Software, and Walking Circle to develop the versions they specialized in. Unlike its predecessor, The Living Daylights received better reviews as a solid game still bogged down by its control scheme.

Domark would continue with the Bond license for a few years. If you're deep into video game history, you might vaguely recognize the name: they would later be bought out to form Eidos Interactive and are now known as Square Enix Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Sd3Z3aB1A

In 1988 Domark gave us Live and Let Die for the Amiga, Atari ST, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, MS-DOS, and ZX Spectrum, developed by Elite Systems International. You may notice that the game has absolutely nothing to do with that film except the presence of a speedboat, and that's because it was originally a game called Aquablast that they changed slightly to fit the license. The original game was released without the Bond connection later; as you can expect from the systems it's on and the video, it's a very repetitive game and graphics vary widely across systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwX-JLCkXmE

The inevitable follow-up, a tie-in for License to Kill in 1989, is a top-down shooter that puts you on foot and in several vehicles, culminating in the famous tanker truck chase. It was a solid game with varied gameplay in a time of platformer fever and sold well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVgPN61FGqU

1990 got us another Domark property, The Spy Who Loved Me by The Kremlin for the Amiga, Atari ST, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, MS-DOS computers, and ZX Spectrum. The game is done from a top-down perspective, with the Lotus Esprit varying between car and submarine forms for different levels, but the 16-bit systems got additional levels with puzzles and a gunfight with Jaws and Stromberg's soldiers. The 16-bit versions got better reviews for their improved graphics and additional levels, but both versions are let down by tricky controls and frustrating obstacle placement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbnc6Bk62PU

1990 also saw a Bond game that wasn't quite Bond. Operation Stealth, a point-and-click adventure game by Delphine Software International about CIA agent John Glames, was crudely rebranded as a James Bond game in the United States. The game had some improvements to the dialogue, but mostly just renaming the agent to "James Bond." He even works for the CIA in this version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lY3XRzx4JQ

Something the thread has barely talked about is James Bond Jr. In 1967, a spin-off by an unknown author (possibly Arthur Calder-Marshall under a pseudonym) titled he Adventures of James Bond Junior 003½ was released about James Bond's non-canon nephew investigating a mystery at his boarding school. While the seeming attempt at a youth-oriented detective franchise failed, the title would be revived in 1991 for an animated TV series as the films languished in lawsuits. James Bond Jr. (voiced by longtime voice actor Corey Burton) and his friends IQ (the grandson of Q) and Gordo Leiter (son of Felix Leiter) fight the terrorist organisation SCUM (Saboteurs and Criminals United in Mayhem) with gadgets and gizmos aplenty. Jaws, Nick Nack, and Goldfinger, all make appearances along with a large cast of cartoonish original villains.

THQ published a tie-in video game in 1992, with Eurocom making an 8-bit NES version and Gray Matter making a 16-bit SNES version. Both games follow the same plot, but the NES version is a platformer puzzle game while the SNES version drops the puzzles and adds side-scrolling vehicle shooter levels. The game is polished and attractive for the time, but the gameplay is forgettable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giNqlTN0As0

A different take on a platformer Bond would come in 1993 with James Bond 007: The Duel by The Kremlin for the Sega Genesis, Master System, and Game Gear. It was the last Domark outing with the license and the first Bond game after the 1982 text adventure to have a totally original storyline. A mad scientist on his Caribbean island, Professor Gravemar, has built a secret satellite launch center and built a cloning machine to revive Bond's old foes to keep him from shutting everything down. The gameplay and graphics are solid, if unremarkable, and the history of Domark Bond would end on a somewhat flat note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3g1BHcLn-4

In 1995, GoldenEye was released and breathed new life into the Bond franchise that shows no signs of slowing down. Tiger Electronics, as they always did, released a simple handheld LCD game to tie in. Nobody is even quite sure when it released, only that it was before gaming history changed forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktwVEYqnpcc

The release of GoldenEye brought Bond into the modern world, and it needed a modern game to go along with it. Rare, who had gained massive fame in the industry with 1994's Donkey Kong Country, had been tapped to make a tie-in game for GoldenEye before it was even out. While their initial impulse was to make a 2D side-scroller like they already had, Martin Hollis was interested in Nintendo's Ultra 64 project, a powerful console that would compete with the Sony PlayStation on the 3D front. While initially thought up as a rail shooter, GoldenEye 007 would become one of the greatest video games of all time.

The story mostly followed the film, but heavily expanded to give every major scene an action sequence. Each difficulty level not only improved the enemy's aim and health, it added additional objectives to be completed. Fantastic sound design, with multi-layered gunfire and explosion effects and an inspired soundtrack, combined with the flying tracers and rolling fireballs to give the game a cinematic feel. But what truly revolutionized gaming was the multiplayer: four-player split-screen. Steve Ellis sat down and spent 6 months by himself implementing what would become the most popular feature of the game shortly before release, turning what was merely a great FPS into a party game staple.

Even now, the game continues to be modified for modern players. You can replace all the characters with Mario characters. You can download a total conversion that makes it into Goldfinger. Rare's next game, Perfect Dark, built on the same engine to create yet another of the best shooters of all time. It's simply impossible to overstate how much influence a Bond game had on the world of gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2FoGN5Apo

With the Bond title back in business, Saffire released James Bond 007 in 1998 for the original Game Boy. The top-down action-adventure game plays like a simplified Zelda title, with the addition of baccarat and blackjack games. The game received perfectly average ratings and is mostly forgettable for anyone who didn't have it as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsmgyP6zFLc

The next Bond film, Tomorrow Never Dies, received a third-person shooter adaptation in 1999 from Black Ops Entertainment for the PlayStation (only a few days after the release of The World is Not Enough in theaters). With the removal of multiplayer and the awkward controls, the game received mixed reviews but sold well. Its prominence mostly comes from being the first Bond game published by Electronic Arts, who would hold onto the brand through some of its biggest games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ8CSarBfsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E82v_m8a4A4

The World is Not Enough would get not one, but two games in 2000. Wanting to expand onto another console, two completely different games for the Nintendo 64 and PlayStation were developed. Both were first-person shooters, but Black Ops Entertainment was brought back for the PlayStation while Eurocom returned from James Bond Jr. to work on the N64. Both games are so different that they almost seem to come from parallel dimensions; the PlayStation game has motion captured animation from Chad Stahelski, who stunt doubled for Keanu Reeves and Brandon Lee and later directed John Wick, while the N64 game is longer, more accurate to the film, and has multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI7R-Irk3-8

Shortly after the double release, Bond made his first foray into video game driving with 007 Racing by Eutechnyx for the PlayStation. This was also the first sign of EA moving away from strict film adaptations, with an original story about weapons smuggled in newly manufactured cars that united several characters from the Pierce Brosnan films. It received mixed reviews for the combination of good driving but bad level design, but serves as a milestone in putting players behind the wheel of Aston-Martins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slK7hY7xe6k

2001 opens with a Game Boy Color adaptation of The World is Not Enough two years late by 2n Productions. It was a forgettable, dull game for a movie that everyone had already moved on from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z22BIruNQr0

We'd get something much better with James Bond007: Agent Under Fire, which was developed directly by EA Redwood Shores (now Visceral Games). It features a completely original story with James Bond and CIA agent Zoe Nightshade joining forces to defeat Malprave Industries in their plot to replace world leaders with clones. Technology had moved on to the PlayStation 2, Nintendo Gamecube, and Xbox, giving EA solid platforms for modern games that still hold up today. Agent Under Fire would put Bond behind the wheel of the BMW Z8 and in the sunroof of a limousine with a rocket launcher, with every level being different from the last. While it received average reviews, I still enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx3PmzZL80Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUh2ypzQRYQ

2002 would be a repeat of 2000: two radically different games with the same name. James Bond 007: Nightfire was developed by Eurocom for the Gamecube, PlayStation 2, and Xbox but Gearbox Software for the PC. The storyline is mostly the same, with Bond investigating industrialist Raphael Drake's plot to deploy nukes on a space station, but the PC version has substantially different levels and design. In particular, the console version has many driving and rail shooter segments, including a long trip over Drake's private island in a plane armed with lasers. It's a short game, but an enjoyable one with solid gunplay and driving and excellent motion captured animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyBLfDPBSjE

The original Bond stories would reach their peak in 2003 with James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing. While the previous games used sound-alikes giving a cheap Pierce Brosnan impression, Everything or Nothing dedicated itself to making a true "Bond movie". Pierce Brosnan, Judi Dench, John Cleese, and Richard Kiel all provide their likeness and voice acting for their film characters while Willem Dafoe, Heidi Klum, Shannon Elizabeth, and Mya all "play" the villains and allies Bond encounters in this story of nanobots that can't eat platinum (it's better than it sounds, I promise). The shooting is now third-person, but the excellent vehicle segments play the same as the previous two with even bigger levels and a Porsche Cayenne Turbo added to Bond's repertoire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6gmF4I4lU4

In 2004, EA shook things up dramatically with a daring step: an alternate timeline with the player as the villain. In GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, "GoldenEye" is the codename for an MI6 agent who lost his eye on an assignment facing Dr. No. Consumed with vengeance, the unnamed agent's recklessness during a VR simulation results in the simulated "death" of James Bond and he's drummed out of the service. Auric Goldfinger, Dr. No's rival, enlists him in his criminal organization and outfits him with a golden cybernetic eye from Francisco Scaramanga.

This odd FPS has a sci-fi aesthetic right down to glowing lights and greeblies on the guns. Just about every famous Bond villain and henchman (and woman) from the films that they could fit in appears, from Pussy Galore to Oddjob, in an original storyline featuring their battling organizations and constant backstabs. While it was a commercial success, Rogue Agent was an odd duck and nobody is quite sure what to think of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E7KYgzdkic

Apparently deciding that Rogue Agent wasn't crazy enough, in 2005 EA did something that seemed impossible: they not only made an adaptation of From Russia With Love as a third-person shooter, they somehow dragged Sean Connery out of retirement to voice Bond 22 years after he seemed to have left the role for good. The game broadly follows the film, but adds a tremendous amount of content with Bond speeding around Istanbul fighting Soviet agents in his DB5 and shooting it out with armored thugs carrying handheld miniguns. Despite seemingly being set in the 1960s, the careful addition of modern and sci-fi technology gives the game a unique aesthetic that's difficult to quantify. It was a huge gamble, but it received generally positive reviews and sold enough copies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcU1dTZw9Sw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9lP53gACCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8sWG2sNwoA

EA finally let the Bond license lapse, wanting to move on to their own IPs and being unable to complete a Casino Royale game in time for the film's release. The license for Bond games languished until Activision picked it up, having Treyarch develop 007: A Quantum of Solace in 2008. They made up for the lack of a Casino Royale adaptation by simply doing both, diverting from the plot to flash back to the events of the previous film as Bond's way of explaining his past to the Bond girl. It's played in first person, but switches to third when taking cover. Daniel Craig, Eva Green, Mads Mikkelsen, and others all reprised their roles to provide their voice acting.

Vicarious Visions also developed a Nintendo DS game, which bizarrely controls through the stylus on the touchscreen in a remarkably unreliable and clunky way. And because nobody could admit the PS2 was dead yet, a version for that was developed by Eurocom as a third-person shooter with crude climbing segments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWIZvTrhnAc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL3JJgA1e_o

Because they were clearly running out of ideas by 2010, Activision tapped Eurocom again to make a remake of GoldenEye 007 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, which would be re-released on both systems and the Wii as GoldenEye 007: Reloaded in 2011. It follows the same basic plot as the original movie updated to Daniel Craig's modern Bond, minus the 9-year timeskip from the prologue as there's no longer a need to end the Cold War in the plot. The game received generally positive reviews, but I find it bland.

n-Space made a DS game to go along with it. Completely average and can be ignored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0j3XhUnWsc

At the end of 2010, Activision had Bizarre Space make their first original Bond game in 6 years: James Bond 007: Blood Stone. It returns the game to a third-person cover shooter with driving sequences, dealing with yet another terrorist with biological weapons and starring Joss Stone as the new Bond girl. Like most recent Bond games, it received mixed reviews but decent sales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvpBYTxkVZ0

The final Activision game is 007 Legends, developed by Eurocom for a release in 2012. Following on the concept of their GoldenEye remake, Legends attempts to tie the rest of the Bond canon into Daniel Craig's 21st century Bond with recreations of the missions from Goldfinger, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Moonraker, License to Kill, and Die Another Day that supposedly took place between Quantum of Solace and Skyfall. While the major characters and villains remain in their reimagined forms, the films are placed out of order. Yes, this does mean that if you take them as canon that the "realistic and gritty" Bond was still flying to space to stop Drax from wiping out the human race and thwarting Operation Grand Slam.

The game was poorly received as a cheap corridor shooter and lack of any real attempts to tie the recreated missions together, clearly existing only as a halfhearted attempt to attract serious Bond fans. The reception was bad enough that Eurocom suddenly fired much of its staff and switched to mobile gaming.

As for where Bond exists in the world of gaming, it's in limbo. Activision lost their license to the IP, resulting in all of the Daniel Craig games unexpectedly being yanked from online stores. Telltale Games expressed interest in developing one of their famed adventure games around the license, only to go bankrupt last year. LCG Entertainment recently purchased the remnants of the company and has made motions toward continuing their canceled projects, but only time will tell.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 11, 2019

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

chitoryu12 posted:

EA Redwood Shores (now Visceral Games).

Formerly Visceral Games, since EA dissolved it. :arghfist::(

The PC version of Nightfire was one of the few non-Valve titles to be built on Half-Life's Goldsource engine. Gearbox had lots of experience working with Goldsource but it was definitely showing its age by the time Nightfire shipped.

No One Lives Forever is the second best Bond game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

James bond 007 for the gameboy was great. Fight me.

I am totally one of the 5 people who remembers it because I had it as a kid.

Rogue agent was great, the goofy arcadey scoring system turned it into less of a shooter and more of a tossing people into death traps simulator with a side of explosions and rail gun trick shots. I remember the multiplayer being sadly kind of garbage though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 13: Princess Ruby?

quote:

My dear Sable Basilisk,

I arrived safely – by helicopter, if you please! – at this beautiful place called Piz Gloria, 10,000 feet up somewhere in the Engadine. Most comfortable with an excellent male staff of several nationalities and a most efficient secretary to the Count named Fräulein Irma Bunt who tells me that she comes from Munich.

I had a most profitable interview with the Count this morning as a result of which he wishes me to stay on for a week to complete the first draft of his genealogical tree. I do hope you can spare me for so long. I warned the Count that we had much work to do on the new Commonwealth States. He himself, though busily engaged on what sounds like very public-spirited research work on allergies and their cause (he has ten English girls here as his patients), has agreed to see me daily in the hope that together we may be able to bridge the gap between the migration of the de Bleuvilles from France and their subsequent transference, as Blofelds, from Augsburg to Gdynia. I have suggested to him that we conclude the work with a quick visit to Augsburg for the purposes you and I discussed, but he has not yet given me his decision. Please tell my cousin Jenny Bray that she may be hearing from a friend of her late husband who apparently served with him in the Lovat Scouts. He came up to me at lunch today and took me for the other Hilary! Quite a coincidence!

Working conditions are excellent. We have complete privacy here, secure from the madding world of skiers, and very sensibly the girls are confined to their rooms after ten at night to put them out of the temptation of roaming and gossiping. They seem a very nice lot, from all over the United Kingdom, but rather on the dumb side!

Now for my most interesting item. The Count has not got lobes to his ears! Isn’t that good news! He also is of a most distinguished appearance and bearing with a fine head of silvery hair and a charming smile. His slim figure also indicates noble extraction. Unfortunately he has to wear dark-green contact lenses because of weak eyes and the strength of the sunshine at this height, and his aquiline nose is blemished by a deformed nostril which I would have thought could easily have been put right by facial surgery. He speaks impeccable English with a gay lilt to his voice and I am sure that we will get on very well.

Now to get down to business. It would be most helpful if you would get in touch with the old printers of the Almanach de Gotha and see if they can help us over our gaps in the lineage. They may have some traces. Cable anything helpful. With the new evidence of the ear-lobes I am quite confident that the connection exists. That’s all for now.

Yours ever, HILARY BRAY      

P.S.

Don’t tell my mother, or she will be worried for my safety among the eternal snows! But we had a nasty accident here this morning. One of the staff, a Yugoslav it seems, slipped on the bob-run and went the whole way to the bottom! Terrible business. He’s apparently being buried in Pontresina tomorrow. Do you think we ought to send some kind of a wreath?

H.B.

Bond reads the letter over several times. He's included the bit about Almanach de Gotha in the hopes that any of Blofeld's men with plans to destroy the letter unsent will see that and think twice. After ringing for the porter and handing off the letter, he finishes clipping the stolen plastic strip and adding ruler marks to support his claim of using it for measuring. At 5:00 PM the light from the window has gotten so low that Bond gets up for the light switch, but there's a knock on the door.

quote:

Bond kept his voice low. ‘Come in!’

The door opened and quickly closed to within an inch of the lock. It was Ruby. She put her fingers to her lips and gestured towards the bathroom. Bond, highly intrigued, followed her in and shut the door. Then he turned on the light. She was blushing. She whispered imploringly. ‘Oh, please forgive me, Sir Hilary. But I did so want to talk to you for a second.’

‘That’s fine, Ruby. But why the bathroom?’

‘Oh, didn’t you know? No, I suppose you wouldn’t. It’s supposed to be a secret, but of course I can tell you. You won’t let on, will you?’

‘No, of course not.’

‘Well, all the rooms have microphones in them. I don’t know where. But sometimes we girls have got together in each other’s rooms, just for a gossip, you know, and Miss Bunt has always known. We think they’ve got some sort of television too.’ She giggled. ‘We always undress in the bathroom. It’s just a sort of feeling. As if one was being watched the whole time. I suppose it’s something to do with the treatment.’

‘Yes, I expect so.’

I feel like I can hear Bond's internal tone of voice there.

quote:

‘The point is, Sir Hilary, I was tremendously excited by what you were saying at lunch today, about Miss Bunt perhaps being a duchess. I mean, is that really possible?’

‘Oh yes,’ said Bond airily.

‘I was so disappointed at not being able to tell you my surname. You see, you see’ – her eyes were wide with excitement – ‘it’s Windsor!’

‘Gosh,’ said Bond, ‘that’s interesting!’

‘I knew you’d say that. You see, there’s always been talk in my family that we’re distantly connected with the Royal Family!’

‘I can quite understand that.’ Bond’s voice was thoughtful, judicious. ‘I’d like to be able to do some work on that. What were your parents’ names? I must have them first.’

‘George Albert Windsor and Mary Potts. Does that mean anything?’

‘Well, of course, the Albert’s significant.’ Bond felt a cur. ‘You see, there was the Prince Consort to Queen Victoria. He was Albert.’

Bond is being a bitch again here. A "cur" is a mongrel dog. It sounds like he's suggesting something impolite about Ruby's ancestry....

quote:

‘Oh golly!’ Ruby’s knuckles went up to her mouth.

‘But of course all this needs a lot of working on. Where do you come from in England? Where were you born?’

‘In Lancashire. Morecambe Bay, where the shrimps come from. But a lot of poultry too. You know.’

‘So that’s why you love chicken so much.’

‘Oh, no.’ She seemed surprised by the remark. ‘That’s just the point. You see, I was allergic to chickens. I simply couldn’t bear them – all those feathers, the stupid pecking, the mess and the smell. I loathed them. Even eating chicken brought me out in a sort of rash. It was awful, and of course my parents were mad at me, they being poultry farmers in quite a big way and me being supposed to help clean out the batteries – you know, those modern mass-produced chicken places. And then one day I saw this advertisement in the paper, in the Poultry Farmer’s Gazette. It said that anyone suffering from chicken allergy – then followed a long Latin name – could apply for a course of re ... of re ... for a cure in a Swiss institute doing research work on the thing. All found and ten pounds a week pocket-money. Rather like those people who go and act as rabbits in that place that’s trying to find a cure for colds.’

‘I know,’ said Bond encouragingly.

Bond is suffering greatly on this mission.

quote:

‘So I applied and my fare was paid down to London and I met Miss Bunt and she put me through some sort of exam.’ She giggled. ‘Heaven only knows how I passed it, as I failed my G.C.E. twice. But she said I was just what the Institute wanted and I came out here about two months ago. It’s not bad. They’re terribly strict. But the Count has absolutely cured my trouble. I simply love chickens now.’ Her eyes became suddenly rapt. ‘I think they’re just the most beautiful, wonderful birds in the world.’

The GCE is the General Certificate of Education, which was in use as a sort of standardized high school exam until the 1980s. You take your Ordinary ("O Level") at 16 and Advanced ("A Level") at 18 and need to pass your A Levels in at least two subjects to qualify for university admission. If she's failing them twice, she's a tremendous airhead.

quote:

‘Well, that’s a jolly good show,’ said Bond, totally mystified. ‘Now about your name. I’ll get to work on it right away. But how are we going to talk? You all seem to be pretty carefully organized. How can I see you by yourself? The only place is my room or yours.’

‘You mean at night?’ The big blue eyes were wide with fright, excitement, maidenly appraisal.

‘Yes, it’s the only way.’ Bond took a bold step towards her and kissed her full on the mouth. He put his arms round her clumsily. ‘And you know I think you’re terribly attractive.’

‘Oh, Sir Hilary!’

Does it count as statutory rape if her mental competency is on par with a small child?

quote:

But she didn’t recoil. She just stood there like a great lovely doll, passive, slightly calculating, wanting to be a princess. ‘But how would you get out of here? They’re terribly strict. A guard goes up and down the passage every so often. Of course’ – the eyes were calculating – ‘it’s true that I’m next door to you, in Number Three actually. If only we had some way of getting out.’

Bond took one of the inch strips of plastic out of his pocket and showed it to her. ‘I knew you were somewhere close to me. Instinct, I suppose. [Cad!] I learned a thing or two in the Army. You can get out of these sort of doors by slipping this in the door crack in front of the lock and pushing. It slips the latch. Here, take this, I’ve got another. But hide it away. And promise not to tell anyone.’

Well look at that! He really is going to use it for a shim! Unfortunately this will only work on doors that have a curved spring latch that can be pushed inward; if the latch slides horizontally into the hole in the frame, you're stuck with picking.

quote:

‘Ooh! You are a one! But of course I promise. But do you think there’s any hope – about the Windsors, I mean?’ Now she put her arms round his neck, round the witchdoctor’s neck, and the big blue orbs gazed appealingly into his.

‘You definitely mustn’t rely on it,’ said Bond firmly, trying to get back an ounce of his self-respect. ‘But I’ll have a quick look now in my books. Not much time before drinks. Anyway, we’ll see.’ He gave her another long and, he admitted to himself, extremely splendid kiss, to which she responded with an animalism that slightly salved his conscience. ‘Now then, baby.’ His right hand ran down her back to the curve of her behind, to which he gave an encouraging and hastening pat. ‘We’ve got to get you out of here.’

This is getting really 60s.

quote:

His bedroom was dark. They listened at the door like two children playing hide-and-seek. The building was in silence. He inched open the door. He gave the behind an extra pat and she was gone.

Bond paused for a moment. Then he switched on the light. The innocent room smiled at him. Bond went to his table and reached for the Dictionary of British Surnames. Windsor, Windsor, Windsor. Here we are! Now then! As he bent over the small print, an important reflection seared his spy’s mind like a shooting star. All right. So sexual perversions, and sex itself, were a main security risk. So was greed for money. But what about status? What about that most insidious of vices, snobbery?

Is this book just about Fleming dunking on aristocrats?

quote:

Six o’clock came. Bond had a nagging headache, brought on by hours of poring over small-print reference books and aggravated by the lack of oxygen at the high altitude. He needed a drink, three drinks. He had a quick shower and smartened himself up, rang his bell for the ‘warder’ and went along to the bar. Only a few of the girls were already there. Violet sat alone at the bar and Bond joined her. She seemed pleased to see him. She was drinking a Daiquiri. Bond ordered another and, for himself, a double Bourbon on the rocks. He took a deep pull at it and put the squat glass down. ‘By God, I needed that! I’ve been working like a slave all day while you’ve been waltzing about the ski-slopes in the sun!’

‘Have I indeed!’ A slight Irish brogue came out with the indignation. ‘Two lectures this morning, frightfully boring, and I had to catch up with my reading most of this afternoon. I’m way behind with it.’

‘What sort of reading?’

‘Oh, sort of agricultural stuff.’ The dark eyes watched him carefully. ‘We’re not supposed to talk about our cures, you know.’

‘Oh, well,’ said Bond cheerfully, ‘then let’s talk about something else. Where do you come from?’

‘Ireland. The South. Near Shannon.’

Bond had a shot in the dark. ‘All that potato country.’

‘Yes, that’s right. I used to hate them. Nothing but potatoes to eat and potato crops to talk about. Now I’m longing to get back. Funny, isn’t it?’

Ireland hasn't really come up in the series before. As we all know, the Irish Potato Famine led to over a million deaths and millions of refugees from the potato blight destroying the crop that the Irish relied on for sustenance. What you only learn if you dig a little deeper is that this was the culmination of centuries of English oppression of Ireland. Much of the Irish farmland was owned by English landlords, many of them absentees who lived elsewhere, who exported Ireland's crops and livestock for profit. Most Irish were tenant farmers whose revenue went to England, surviving on a bare minimum diet of potatoes and dairy (with the potatoes being used as animal fodder as well). Irish culture was gradually stamped out, from language to independent national identity, to make them a part of the United Kingdom.

When the potato blight hit Europe in the 1840s, every country was affected but none as much as Ireland. Because most of the country was dirt poor and their diet was 100% potato if you factor in livestock feed, the poor died in droves even as the landlords continued exporting food to England. Attempts to stop this callously selfish practice were fought by a Whig government that supported laissez-faire economic policies and just saying the free market would provide for everyone (gee, where have I heard that lately?). The Irish spent years having any efforts to stop them from starving to death actively blocked by essentially dumbass libertarians. With tenants unable to pay their rents due to the lack of crops (or, you know, dying), they found themselves evicted to help the landlords pay their debts.

The Great Famine was a turning point for Ireland and Irish identity. The English response was so spitefully destructive that conspiracy theories emerged claiming it to be intentional genocide of the Irish, and even the most charitable interpretations classify it as criminally negligent on a national scale. The massive Irish population of the United States (and, to a lesser extent, Bavarian) exists only because of the potato blight. Large swathes of the country were left uninhabited by the famine. As attempts to grant home rule to Ireland were repeatedly defeated in Parliament, an increasingly angry populace led to the rise of nationalist groups willing to kill for independence, most notably the IRA. Part of Ireland would become an independent state in 1922 after the Easter Rising, but attempts to gain full independence for Northern Ireland would lead to the infamous Troubles a few years after Fleming's death.

quote:

‘Your family’ll be pleased.’

‘You can say that again! And my boy friend! He’s on the wholesale side. I said I wouldn’t marry anyone who had anything to do with the damned, dirty, ugly things. He’s going to get a shock all right ...’

‘How’s that?’

‘All I’ve learned about how to improve the crop. The latest scientific ways, chemicals, and so on.’ She put her hand up to her mouth. She glanced swiftly round the room, at the bartender. To see if anyone had heard this innocent stuff? She put on a hostess smile. ‘Now you tell me what you’ve been working on, Sir Hilary.’

‘Oh, just some heraldic stuff for the Count. Like I was talking about at lunch. I’m afraid you’d find it frightfully dry stuff.’

"Oh, and making out with my clients!"

quote:

‘Oh no, I wouldn’t. I was terribly interested in what you were saying to Miss Bunt. You see’ – she lowered her voice and spoke into her raised glass – ‘I’m an O’Neill. They used to be almost kings of Ireland. Do you think ...’ She had seen something over his shoulder. She went on smoothly, ‘And I simply can’t get my shoulders round enough. And when I try to I simply over-balance.’

‘’Fraid I don’t know anything about skiing,’ said Bond loudly.

Irma Bunt appeared in the mirror over the bar. ‘Ah, Sair Hilary.’ She inspected his face. ‘But yes, you are already getting a little of the sunburn, isn’t it? Come! Let us go and sit down. I see poor Miss Ruby over there all by herself.’

They followed her meekly. Bond was amused by the little undercurrent of rule-breaking that went on among the girls – the typical resistance pattern to strict discipline and the governessy ways of this hideous matron. He must be careful how he handled it, useful though it was proving. It wouldn’t do to get these girls too much ‘on his side’. But, if only because the Count didn’t want him to know them, he must somehow ferret away at their surnames and addresses. Ferret! That was the word! Ruby would be his ferret. Bond sat down beside her, the back of his hand casually brushing against her shoulder.

More drinks were ordered. The Bourbon was beginning to uncoil Bond’s tensions. His headache, instead of occupying his whole head, had localized itself behind the right temple. He said, gaily, ‘Shall we play the game again?’

As they play the game with the coin and tissue paper again, Bond suggests taking the cable car down to St. Moritz. He finds from Irma Bunt that it's "against the rules", which surprises him as he's not actually a patient.

quote:

‘I think that would be a mistake, Sair Hilary. And surely you will need all the time you have to complete your duties for the Count. No’ – it was an order – ‘I am afraid, with many apologies, that what you ask is out of the question.’ She glanced at her watch and clapped her hands. ‘And now, girls,’ she called, ‘it is time for the supper. Come along! Come along!’

It had only been a try-on, to see what form the negative answer would take. But, as Bond followed her into the dining-room, it was quite an effort to restrain his right shoe from giving Irma Bunt a really tremendous kick in her tight, bulging behind.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Bond is being a bitch again here. A "cur" is a mongrel dog. It sounds like he's suggesting something impolite about Ruby's ancestry....

In this instance i believe it is him describing himself as feeling a cur for misleading a woman in such a dickish way.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Polyakov posted:

In this instance i believe it is him describing himself as feeling a cur for misleading a woman in such a dickish way.

That would be a first.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Ireland: the first and last foothold of British imperialism.

chitoryu12 posted:

Is this book just about Fleming dunking on aristocrats?

Don't mind if he does. :colbert:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah he's just dunking on the aristocrats and the social climbers and it's pretty great.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Polyakov posted:

Yeah, it's because he knows he's being a shitbag. (Not least because the Royal Family only changed their surname to Windsor in WWI, since Saxe-Coburg-Gotha was too German...).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 14: Sweet Dreams - Sweet Nightmare!

quote:

It was eleven o’clock and the place was as quiet as the grave. Bond, with due respect for the eye in the ceiling, went through the motions of going to the bathroom and then climbing into bed and switching off his light. He gave it ten minutes, then got quietly out of bed and pulled on his trousers and shirt. Working by touch, he slipped the end of the inch of plastic into the door crack, found the lock and pressed gently. The edge of the plastic caught the curve of the lock and slid it back. Bond now only had to push gently and the door was open. He listened, his ears pricked like an animal’s. Then he carefully put his head out. The empty corridor yawned at him. Bond slipped out of the door, closed it softly, took the few steps along to Number Three and gently turned the handle. It was dark inside but there was a stirring in the bed. Now to avoid the click of the shutting door! Bond took his bit of plastic and got it against the lock, holding it in the mortice. Then he inched the door shut, at the same time gently withdrawing the plastic. The lock slid noiselessly into place. There came a whisper from the bed. ‘Is that you?’ ‘Yes, darling.’ Bond slid out of his clothes and, assuming the same geography as in his own room, walked gingerly over to the bed and sat down on its edge.

A hand came out of the darkness and touched him. ‘Ooh, you’ve got nothing on!’

Bond caught the hand and reached along it. ‘Nor have you,’ he whispered. ‘That’s how it should be.’

Gingerly he lay down on the bed and put his head beside hers on the pillow. He noticed with a pang of pleasure that she had left room for him. He kissed her, at first softly and then with fierceness. Her body stirred. Her mouth yielded to his and when his left hand began its exploration she put her arms round him. ‘I’m catching cold.’ Bond followed the lie by pulling the single sheet away from under him and then covering them both with it. The warmth and softness of her splendid body were now all his. Bond lay against her. He drew the fingernails of his left hand softly down her flat stomach. The velvety skin fluttered. She gave a small groan and reached down for his hand and held it. ‘You do love me a little bit?’

That awful question! Bond whispered, ‘I think you’re the most adorable, beautiful girl. I wish I’d met you before.’

The stale, insincere words seemed to be enough. She removed her restraining hand.

For the first time, it's Bond who gets to lie back and think of England.

quote:

Her hair smelt of new-mown summer grass, her mouth of Pepsodent, and her body of Memmen’s Baby Powder. A small night wind rose up outside and moaned round the building, giving an extra sweetness, an extra warmth, even a certain friendship to what was no more than an act of physical passion. There was real pleasure in what they did to each other, and in the end, when it was over and they lay quietly in each other’s arms, Bond knew, and knew that the girl knew, that they had done nothing wrong, done no harm to each other.

After a while Bond whispered into her hair, ‘Ruby!’

‘Mmmm.’

‘About your name. About the Windsors. I’m afraid there’s not much hope.’

‘Oh, well, I never really believed. You know these old family stories.’

"They said I might have a brain cell to spare!"

quote:

‘Anyway, I haven’t got enough books here. When I get back I’ll dig into it properly. Promise. It’ll be a question of starting with your family and going back – church and town records and so forth. I’ll have it done properly and send it to you. Great slab of parchment with a lot of snazzy print. Heavy black italics with coloured letters to start each line. Although it mayn’t get you anywhere, it might be nice to have.’

‘You mean like old documents in museums?’

‘That’s right.’

‘That’d be nice.’

There was silence in the little room. Her breathing became regular. Bond thought: how extraordinary! Here on top of this mountain, a death’s run away from the nearest hamlet in the valley, in this little room were peace, silence, warmth, happiness – many of the ingredients of love. It was like making love in a balloon. Which nineteenth-century rake had it been who had recorded a bet in a London club that he would make love to a woman in a balloon?

There was actually a casual reference to this in Moonraker from Drax! It was actually the 18th century, when George James Cholmondeley, 1st Marquess of Cholmondeley, made a 500 guinea bet with Edward Smith Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby, at Brooks's club in London that he, and I quote, "fucks a woman in a balloon one thousand yards from the Earth." The bet was officially recorded in the club's books, but there's no record of it being met.

quote:

Bond was on the edge of sleep. He let himself slide down the soft, easy slope. Here it was wonderful. It would be just as easy for him to get back to his room in the early hours. He softly eased his right arm from under the sleeping girl, took a lazy glance at his left wrist. The big luminous numerals said midnight.

Bond had hardly turned over on his right side, up against the soft flanks of the sleeping girl, when, from underneath the pillow, under the floor, deep in the bowels of the building, there came the peremptory ringing of a deep-toned, melodious electric bell. The girl stirred. She said sleepily, ‘Oh, drat!’

‘What is it?’

‘Oh, it’s only the treatment. I suppose it’s midnight?’

‘Yes.’

‘Don’t pay any attention. It’s only for me. Just go to sleep.’

Bond kissed her between the shoulder-blades but said nothing.

What kind of treatment is going to come from a PA system?

quote:

Now the bell had stopped. In its place there started up a droning whine, rather like the noise of a very fast electric fan, with, behind it, the steady, unvarying tick-pause-tock, tick-pause-tock of some kind of metronome. The combination of the two sounds was wonderfully soothing. It compelled attention, but only just on the fringe of consciousness – like the night-noises of childhood, the slow tick of the nursery clock combined with the sound of the sea or the wind outside. And now a voice, the Count’s voice came over the distant wire or tape that Bond assumed was the mechanical source of all this. The voice was pitched in a low, sing-song murmur, caressing yet authoritative, and every word was distinct. ‘You are going to sleep.’ The voice fell on the word ‘sleep’. ‘You are tired and your limbs feel like lead.’ Again the falling cadence on the last word. ‘Your arms feel as heavy as lead. Your breathing is quite even. Your breathing is as regular as a child’s. Your eyes are closed and the eyelids are heavy as lead. You are becoming tireder and tireder. Your whole body is becoming tired and heavy as lead. You are warm and comfortable. You are slipping, slipping, slipping down into sleep. Your bed is as soft and downy as a nest. You are as soft and sleepy as a chicken in a nest. A dear little chicken, fluffy and cuddly.’ There came the sound of a sweet cooing and clucking, the gentle brushing together of wings, the dozy murmuring of mother hens with their chicks. It went on for perhaps a full minute. Then the voice came back. ‘The little darlings are going to sleep. They are like you, comfortable and sleepy in their nests. You love them dearly, dearly, dearly. You love all chickens. You would like to make pets of them all. You would like them to grow up beautiful and strong. You would like no harm to come to them. Soon you will be going back to your darling chickens. Soon you will be able to look after them again. Soon you will be able to help all the chickens of England. You will be able to improve the breed of chickens all over England. This will make you very, very happy. You will be doing so much good that it will make you very, very happy. But you will keep quiet about it. You will say nothing of your methods. They will be your own secret, your very own secret. People will try and find out your secret. But you will say nothing because they might try and take your secret away from you. And then you would not be able to make your darling chickens happy and healthy and strong. Thousands, millions of chickens made happier because of you. So you will say nothing and keep your secret. You will say nothing, nothing at all. You will remember what I say. You will remember what I say.’ The murmuring voice was getting farther and farther away. The sweet cooing and clucking of chickens softly obscured the vanishing voice, then that too died away and there was only the electric whine and the tick-pause-tock of the metronome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k0x_cRcKLU

Yes, this scene was included very faithfully in the movie!

quote:

Ruby was deeply asleep. Bond reached out for her wrist and felt the pulse. It was plumb on beat with the metronome. And now that, and the whine of the machine, receded softly until all was dead silence again save for the soft moan of the night wind outside.

The mystery seemingly solved, Bond sneaks back into his own room. He still can't figure out how it makes sense. How does hypnotic removal of allergies fit in with everything else? A typical allergy clinic doesn't hurl security guards down the bobsled track! With nothing else to be done, he goes back to sleep.

quote:

When, at nine o’clock, he awoke and threw open his windows, the sky was overcast with the heavy blank grey that meant snow. Over by the Berghaus, the Schneefinken, and Schneevögel, the snow-finches and Alpine choughs, that lived on the crumbs and leftovers of the picnickers, were fluttering and swooping close round the building – a sure storm-warning. The wind had got up and was blowing in sharp, threatening gusts, and no whine of machinery came from the cable railway. The light aluminium gondolas would have too bad a time in winds of this strength, particularly over the last great swoop of cable that brought them a good quarter of a mile over the exposed shoulder beneath the plateau.

Bond shut the windows and rang for his breakfast. When it came there was a note from Fräulein Bunt on the tray. ‘The Count will be pleased to receive you at eleven o’clock. I.B.’

Bond ate his breakfast and got down to his third page of de Bleuvilles. He had quite a chunk of work to show up, but this was easy stuff. The prospect of successfully bamboozling his way along the Blofeld part of the trail was not so encouraging. He would start boldly at the Gdynia end and work back – get the old rascal to talk about his youth and his parents. Old rascal? Well, dammit, whatever he had become since Operation ‘Thunderball’, there weren’t two Ernst Stavro Blofelds in the world!

Bond meets Blofeld in his study and brings up the girls. He claims that all of them are involved in agriculture, which means curing their animal and plant-related allergies will help them gain employment back home. He's briefly interrupted by a phone call from one of his researchers needing a special trip up on the closed cable car to return from a supply purchase, then they begin on the lineage.

quote:

Bond laid out his big sheets on the desk and proudly ran his finger down through the generations. There was excitement and satisfaction in the Count’s comments and questions. ‘But this is tremendous, really tremendous, my dear fellow. And you say there is mention of a broken spear or a broken sword in the arms? Now when was that granted?’

Bond rattled off a lot of stuff about the Norman Conquest. The broken sword had probably been awarded as a result of some battle. More research in London would be needed to pin the occasion down. Finally Bond rolled up the sheets and got out his notebook. ‘And now we must start working back from the other end, Count.’ Bond became inquisitorial, authoritative. ‘We have your birth date in Gdynia, May 28th, 1908. Yes?’

Not coincidentally, that's Fleming's date of birth!

quote:

‘Correct.’

‘Your parents’ names?’

‘Ernst George Blofeld and Maria Stavro Michelopoulos.’

‘Also born in Gdynia?’

‘Yes.’

‘Now your grandparents?’

‘Ernst Stefan Blofeld and Elizabeth Lubomirskaya.’

‘Hm, so the Ernst is something of a family Christian name?’

‘It would seem so. My great-grandfather, he was also Ernst.’

‘That is most important. You see, Count, among the Blofelds of Augsburg there are no less than two Ernsts!’

The Count’s hands had been lying on the green pad on his desk, relaxed. Now, impulsively, they joined together and briefly writhed, showing white knuckles.

My God, you’ve got it bad! thought Bond.

If you return to Thunderball, you'll see that all of this matches up to Fleming's biography in his introduction, right down to the Polish father and Greek mother.

quote:

‘And that is important?’

‘Very. Christian names run through families. We regard them as most significant clues. Now, can you remember any farther back? You have done well. We have covered three generations. With the dates I shall later ask you for, we have already got back to around 1850. Only another fifty years to go and we shall have arrived at Augsburg.’

‘No.’ It was almost a cry of pain. ‘My great-great-grandfather. Of him I know nothing.’ The hands writhed on the blotting-paper. ‘Perhaps, perhaps. If it is a question of money. People, witnesses could be found.’ The hands parted, held themselves out expansively. ‘My dear Sir Hilary, you and I are men of the world. We understand each other. Extracts from archives, registry offices, the churches – these things, do they have to be completely authentic?’

Got you, you old fox! Bond said affably, with a hint of conspiracy, ‘I don’t quite understand what you mean, Count.’

The hands were now flat on the desk again, happy hands. Blofeld had recognized one of his kind. ‘You are a hard-working man. Sir Hilary. You live modestly in this remote region of Scotland. Life could perhaps be made easier for you. There are perhaps material benefits you desire – motor-cars, a yacht, a pension. You have only to say the word, name a figure.’ The dark-green orbs bored into Bond’s modestly evasive eyes, holding them. ‘Just a little co-operation. A visit here and there in Poland and Germany and France. Of course your expenses would be heavy. Let us say five hundred pounds a week. The technical matters, the documents, and so forth. Those I can arrange. It would only require your supporting evidence. Yes? The Ministry of Justice in Paris, for them the word of the College of Arms is the word of God. Is that not so?’

Blofeld can never resist going straight to bribery.

quote:

It was too good to be true! But how to play it? Diffidently, Bond said, ‘What you are suggesting, Count, is – er – not without interest. Of course’ – Bond’s smile was sufficiently expansive, sufficiently bland – ‘if the documents were convincing, so to speak solid, very solid, then it would be quite reasonable for me to authenticate them.’ Bond put spaniel into his eyes, asking to be patted, to be told that everything would be all right, that he would be completely protected. ‘You see what I mean?’

The Count began, with force, sincerity, ‘You need have absolutely no ...’ when there was the noise of an approaching hubbub down the passage. The door burst open. A man, propelled from behind, lurched into the room and fell, writhing, to the floor.

Two of the guards came stiffly to attention behind him. They looked first at the Count and then, sideways, towards Bond, surprised to see him there.

The Count said sharply, ‘Was ist denn los?’

Bond knew the answer and, momentarily, he died. Behind the snow and the blood on the face of the man on the floor, Bond recognized the face of a man he knew.

The blond hair, the nose broken boxing for the Navy, belonged to a friend of his in the Service. It was, unmistakably, Number 2 from Station Z in Zürich!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Now is the moment where you play the daffy aristocrat for all it's worth, James.

What a Spy Would Do posted:

Bond sprang forward, lifting the other man to his knees. "I say, what on Earth?! Dear chap, whatever has happened to you!" he exclaimed.
Number 2 opened his mouth slightly.
"No, no, don't try to talk!" Bond looked round at Blofeld. "Brandy, Count! Surely you have brandy! And a doctor, you must call for a doctor at once!" He looked up at the guards, feigning obliviousness to their thuggish role. "Whatever happened to the poor fellow?" he asked in his best tone of plaintive concern. "A fall from his skis?"

... I'm sure his actual response will be more like this:

James Bond, Super Agent! posted:

Bond regarded the prone man with cool indifference. "Never seen him in my life," he said, before Blofeld could speak. "But it looks like the SPECTRE of death is hanging over him right now." He looked Blofeld in his green-lensed eyes. "Oh don't look so Ernst, count! I'm sure he'll be fine. But you must get an in-SPECTRE out to look at those ski lifts."

He narrowed his gaze. "SPECTRE," he added, just to make sure.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 12, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let's just say that James Bond is not the quickest on his feet.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, it's because he knows he's being a shitbag. (Not least because the Royal Family only changed their surname to Windsor in WWI, since Saxe-Coburg-Gotha was too German...).

Went the other way, too. The Battenbergs became the Mountbattens since it wouldn’t do at all to have a German nobleman as First Sea Lord.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Let's just say that James Bond is not the quickest on his feet.

Good thing he’s sitting down, then. :dadjoke:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 15: The Heat Increases

quote:

Yes, it was Shaun Campbell all right! Christ Almighty, what a mess! Station Z had especially been told nothing about Bond’s mission. Campbell must have been following a lead of his own, probably trailing this Russian who had been ‘buying supplies’. Typical of the sort of balls-up that over-security can produce!

The hapless Number 2 of Station Z was included in the movie as well, with his role slightly expanded to helping Bond with an office break-in earlier in the film so he doesn't just come out of nowhere. He was played by Bernard Horsfall, who made four appearances as completely different characters on Doctor Who like many other British actors (plus one audio drama appearance). If you don't watch British films and TV of the mid-20th century, you may have seen him in the minor role of Balliol in Braveheart.

quote:

The leading guard was talking in rapid, faulty German with a Slav accent. ‘He was found in the open ski compartment at the back of the gondola. Much frozen, but he put up a strong resistance. He had to be subdued. He was no doubt following Captain Boris.’ The man caught himself up. ‘I mean, your guest from the valley, Herr Graf. He says he is an English tourist from Zürich. That he had got no money for the fare. He wanted to pay a visit up here. He was searched. He carried five hundred Swiss francs. No identity papers.’ The man shrugged. ‘He says his name is Campbell.’

God, this is a comedy of errors on all sides.

quote:

At the sound of his name, the man on the ground stirred. He lifted his head and looked wildly round the room. He had been badly battered about the face and head with a pistol or a cosh. His control was shot to pieces. When his eyes lit on the familiar face of Bond, he looked astonished, then, as if a lifebuoy had been thrown to him, he said hoarsely, ‘Thank God, James. Tell ’em it’s me! Tell ’em I’m from Universal Export. In Zürich. You know! For God’s sake, James! Tell ’em I’m OK.’ His head fell forward on the carpet.

Jesus Christ.

quote:

The Count’s head slowly turned towards Bond. The opaque green eyes caught the pale light from the window and glinted whitely. The tight, face-lifted smile was grotesquely horrible. ‘You know this man, Sir Hilary?’

Bond shook his head sorrowfully. He knew he was pronouncing the death sentence on Campbell. ‘Never seen him before in my life. Poor chap. He sounds a bit daft to me. Concussed, probably. Why not ship him down to a hospital in the valley? He looks in a pretty bad way.’

‘And Universal Export?’ The voice was silky. ‘I seem to have heard that name before.’

‘Well, I haven’t,’ said Bond indifferently. ‘Never heard of it.’ He reached in his pocket for his cigarettes, lit one with a dead steady hand.

Blofeld is the only person here with a lick of sense.

quote:

The Count turned back to the guards. He said softly, ‘Zur Befragungszelle.’ He nodded his dismissal. The two guards bent down and hauled Campbell up by his armpits. The hanging head raised itself, gave one last terrible look of appeal at Bond. Then the man who was Bond’s colleague was hustled out of the room and the door was closed softly behind his dragging feet.

To the interrogation cell! That could mean only one thing, under modern methods, total confession! How long would Campbell hold out for? How many hours had Bond got left?

‘I have told them to take him to the sick-room. He will be well looked after.’ The Count looked from the papers on his desk to Bond. ‘I am afraid this unhappy intrusion has interfered with my train of thought, Sir Hilary. So perhaps you will forgive me for this morning?’

Oh, never mind. He's just assuming Sir Hilary Bray doesn't know German.

This is a farce.

quote:

‘Of course, of course. And, regarding your proposition, that we should work a little more closely together on your interests, I can assure you, Count, that I find it most interesting.’ Bond smiled conspiratorially. ‘I’m sure we could come to some satisfactory arrangement.’

‘Yes? That is good.’ The Count linked his hands behind his head and gazed for a moment at the ceiling and then, reflectively, back at Bond. He said casually, ‘I suppose you would not be connected in any way with the British Secret Service, Sir Hilary?’

He's even more obvious than Bond was!

quote:

Bond laughed out loud. The laugh was a reflex, forced out of him by tension. ‘Good God, no! Didn’t even know we had one. Didn’t all that sort of thing go out with the end of the war?’ Bond chuckled to himself, fatuously amused. ‘Can’t quite see myself running about behind a false moustache. Not my line of country at all. Can’t bear moustaches.’

The Count’s unwavering smile did not seem to share Bond’s amusement. He said coldly, ‘Then please forget my question, Sir Hilary. The intrusion by this man has made me over-suspicious. I value my privacy up here, Sir Hilary. Scientific research can only be pursued in an atmosphere of peace.’

‘I couldn’t agree more.’ Bond was effusive. He got to his feet and gathered up his papers from the desk. ‘And now I must get on with my own research work. Just getting into the fourteenth century. I think I shall have some interesting data to show you tomorrow, Count.’

If I were Bond, I would be hurtling down the mountain as fast as possible after leaving this room.

quote:

The Count got politely to his feet and Bond went out of the door and along the passage.

He loitered, listening for any sound. There was none, but half-way down the corridor one of the doors was ajar. A crack of blood-red light showed. Bond thought, I’ve probably had it anyway. In for a penny, in for a pound! He pushed the door open and stuck his head into the room. It was a long, low laboratory with a plastic-covered work-bench extending its whole length beneath the windows, which were shuttered. Dark red light, as in a film-developing chamber, came from neon strips above the cornice. The bench was littered with retorts and test-tubes, and there were line upon line of test-tubes and phials containing a cloudy liquid in racks against the far wall. Three men in white, with gauze pads over the bottoms of their faces and white surgical caps over their hair, were at work, absorbed. Bond took in the scene, a scene from a theatrical hell, withdrew his head, and walked on down the corridor and out into what was now a driving snowstorm. He pulled the top of his sweater over his head and forced his way along the path to the blessed warmth of the club-house. Then he walked quickly to his room, closed the door, and went into the bathroom and sat down on his usual throne of reflection and wondered what in God’s name to do.

Bond's new tactic is "My cover is blown, may as well gently caress around!"

quote:

Could he have saved Campbell? Well, he could have had a desperate shot at it. ‘Oh, yes. I know this man. Perfectly respectable chap. We used to work for the same export firm, Universal, in London. You look in pretty bad shape, old boy. What the devil happened?’ But it was just as well he hadn’t tried. As cover, solid cover, Universal was ‘brûlé’ with the pros. It had been in use too long. All the secret services in the world had penetrated it by now. Obviously Blofeld knew all about it. Any effort to save Campbell would simply have tied Bond in with him. There had been no alternative except to throw him to the wolves. If Campbell had a chance to get his wits back before they really started on him, he would know that Bond was there for some purpose, that his disavowal by Bond was desperately important to Bond, to the Service. How long would he have the strength to cover for Bond, retrieve his recognition of Bond? At most a few hours. But how many hours? That was the vital question. That and how long the storm would last. Bond couldn’t possibly getaway in this stuff. If it stopped, there might be a chance, a damned slim one, but better than the alternatives, of which, if and when Campbell talked, there was only one – death, probably a screaming death.

Then why are you still using Universal Export as your front

quote:

Bond surveyed his weapons. They were only his hands and feet, his Gillette razor and his wrist-watch, a heavy Rolex Oyster Perpetual on an expanding metal bracelet. Used properly, these could be turned into most effective knuckledusters. Bond got up, took the blade out of his Gillette and dropped the razor into his trouser pocket. He slipped the shaft between the first and second fingers of his left hand so that the blade-carrier rested flat along his knuckles. Yes, that was the way! Now was there anything, any evidence he should try and take with him? Yes, he must try and get more, if not all, of the girls’ names and, if possible, addresses. For some reason he knew they were vital. For that he would have to use Ruby. His head full of plans for getting the information out of her, Bond went out of the bathroom and sat down at his desk and got on with a fresh page of de Bleuvilles. At least he must continue to show willing, if only to the recording eye in the ceiling.

James Bond is linked to watches much as he's linked to his suits and cars. Fleming's product placement is nothing compared to the movies, which always made sure that the best and most expensive brands of everything were put on display (except that one time Daniel Craig drinks Heineken). We'll talk about Bond and watches in total later, but for now we've got the literary watch.

Rolex is, of course, the watch everyone knows. They were a British brand that moved to Switzerland after World War I to avoid taxes, perfectly Fleming. They're predominately mechanical watches of extreme quality and almost always very expensive.

"Oyster Perpetual" is a generic name for a line of watches, not a particular model. They're self-winding "automatic" watches that use the motion of the wearer's wrist to keep the mainspring wound, generally fitted as standard with the durable stainless steel three-link band. Fleming himself wore a Rolex Explorer 1016 from that line; the pictured model is from 1960 and likely what Bond is wearing here.

quote:

It was about twelve-thirty when Bond heard his doorknob being softly turned. Ruby slipped in and, her finger to her lips, disappeared into his bathroom. Bond casually threw down his pen, got up and stretched and strolled over and went in after her.

Ruby’s blue eyes were wide and frightened. ‘You’re in trouble,’ she whispered urgently. ‘What have you been doing?’

‘Nothing,’ said Bond innocently. ‘What’s up?’

‘We’ve all been told that we mustn’t talk to you unless Miss Bunt is there.’ Her knuckles went distractedly up to her teeth. ‘Do you think they know about us?’

‘Couldn’t possibly,’ said Bond, radiating confidence. ‘I think I know what it is.’ (With so much obfuscation in the air, what did an extra, a reassuring, lie matter?) ‘This morning the Count told me I was an upsetting influence here, that I was what he called “disruptive”, interfering with your treatments. He asked me to keep myself more to myself. Honestly’ – (how often that word came into a lie!) – ‘I’m sure that’s all it is. Rather a pity really. Apart from you – I mean you’re sort of special – I think all you girls are terribly sweet. I’d like to have helped you all.’

Bond tells Ruby that he plans on getting out of here, but if Ruby can get him the full names of these girls he'll look up their genealogy once he's back in England. The girls are only supposed to be there for about another week before the next batch comes through, but she's got plenty to help.

quote:

Bond tore off some strips of lavatory paper and took out a pencil. ‘Fire away!’

She laughed. ‘Well, you know me and Violet, then there’s Elizabeth Mackinnon. She’s from Aberdeen. Beryl Morgan from somewhere in Herefordshire. Pearl Tampion, Devonshire – by the way, all those simply loathed every kind of cattle. Now they live on steaks! Would you believe it? I must say the Count’s a wonderful man.’

‘Yes, indeed.’

‘Then there’s Anne Charter from Canterbury and Caresse Ventnor from the National Stud, wherever that is – fancy her working there and she came up in a rash all over whenever she went near a horse! Now all she does is dream of pony clubs and read every word she can get hold of about Pat Smythe! And Denise Robertson …’

The list went on until Bond had got the whole ten. He said, ‘What about that Polly somebody who left in November?’

‘Polly Tasker. She was from East Anglia. Don’t remember where, but I can find out the address when I get back to England. Sir Hilary’ – she put her arm round his neck – ‘I am going to see you again, aren’t I?’

Bond held her tight and kissed her. ‘Of course, Ruby. You can always get me at the College of Arms in Queen Victoria Street. Just send me a postcard when you get back. But for God’s sake cut out the “Sir”. You’re my girl friend. Remember?’

‘Oh, yes, I will – er – Hilary,’ she said fervently. ‘And you will be careful, getting away I mean. You’re sure it’s all right? Is there anything I can do to help?’

‘No, darling. Just don’t breathe a word of all this. It’s a secret between us. Right?’

‘Of course, darling.’ She glanced at her watch. ‘Oh lord! I must simply fly. Only ten minutes to lunch-time. Now, can you do your trick with the door? There shouldn’t be anyone about. It’s their lunch-time from twelve till one.’

Bond lets Ruby out (making sure to stay out of sight of the camera as he pokes the latch open). A blizzard is hitting Piz Gloria, which will only make his escape in the night more difficult. He goes to the restaurant and takes his usual seat by Irma Bunt and Ruby, noting that everyone seems to be watching him a lot more closely.

quote:

Bond gestured at his still watering eyes. ‘I’ve got the Count’s trouble. Sort of conjunctivitis, I suppose. The tremendous glare up here. Better today of course, but there’s still a lot of reflection from the snow. And all this paperwork. Could you get me a pair of snow-goggles? I’ll only need to borrow them for a day or two. Just till my eyes get used to the light. Don’t usually have this sort of trouble.’

‘Yes. That can be done. I will see that they are put in your room.’ She summoned the head waiter and gave him the order in German. The man, looking at Bond with overt dislike, said, ‘Sofort, gnädiges Fräulein,’ and clicked his heels.

‘And one more thing, if you will,’ said Bond politely. ‘A small flask of schnapps.’ He turned to Fräulein Bunt. ‘I find I am not sleeping well up here. Perhaps a nightcap would help. I always have one at home – generally whisky. But here I would prefer schnapps. When in Gloria, do as the Glorians do. Ha ha!’

Fräulein Bunt looked at him stonily. She said to the waiter curtly, ‘In Ordnung!’ The man took Bond’s order of Pâté Maison followed by Oeufs Gloria and the cheese tray (Bond thought he had better get some stuffing into him!), clicked his heels and went away. Was he one of those who had been at work in the interrogation room? Bond silently ground his teeth. By God, if it came to hitting any of these guards tonight, he was going to hit them damned hard, with everything he’d got! He felt Fräulein Bunt’s eyes inquisitively on him. He untensed himself and began to make amiable conversation about the storm. How long would it last? What was the barometer doing?

As cautious as always, Bond decides that this is the best time to startle and outrage his villainous hosts and asks about Campbell.

quote:

‘He makes progress.’

‘Oh! Who was that?’ asked Ruby eagerly.

‘It was an intruder.’ Fräulein Bunt’s eyes were hard with warning. ‘It is not a subject for conversation.’

‘Oh, but why not?’ asked Bond innocently. ‘After all, you can’t get much excitement up here. Anything out of the ordinary should be a bit of a relief.’

She said nothing. Bond raised his eyebrows politely and then accepted the snub with a good grace. He asked if any newspapers came up. Or was there a radio bulletin like on board ship? Did they get any news from the outside world?

‘No.’

Having done everything he can to blow his cover, once lunch is over Bond heads back to the ski workshop (swiping a pair of gloves from the reception area as he goes). He eyes the skis as he makes small talk about metal vs. wooden skis, noting that the girls' skis are far too small for his boots but the guides' skis will work.

quote:

Bond’s eyes narrowed to slits as he scanned them, measuring, estimating. Yes, the pair of metal Heads with the red V’s painted on the black curved tips was the best bet. They were of the stiffer, Master’s, category, designed for racing. Bond remembered reading somewhere that the Standard model was inclined to ‘float’ at speed. His choice had the Attenhofer Flex forward release with the Marker lateral release. Two transverse leather thongs wound round the ankle and buckled over the instep would, if he fell, which he was certain to do, ensure against losing a ski.

Bond made a quick guess at how much the bindings would need adjustment to fit his boots and went off down the corridor to his room.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 13, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Watches of James Bond

As I said before, the Bond movies have always put Bond in brands. Much of what Bond wears and drives is out of the average viewer's range, but it serves to drive the image of James Bond as a successful man. Whereas Fleming wrote a book specifically to dissuade people from wanting to emulate Bond, the movies went in the exact opposite direction. They have created a figure that you want to be. Bond became a symbol of masculinity.

For much of James Bond's history, a watch was a vital tool for every man and woman. You would go out wearing one every day. Soldiers wore them and made sure they were synchronized to operate efficiently exactly when they were supposed to. The wristwatch is over 150 years old, but first gained popularity in World War I. The British Army began issuing wristwatches to soldiers in 1917 to aid in precise coordination without the clumsiness of a pocket watch, leading to a generation of young men returning home with their new gadgets. The dainty little "wristlet watch" had become a symbol of masculinity and modernity, pushing the pocket watch almost completely aside. With everyone wearing them visibly on their body, the watch was now something to be lauded. You bought the best, most attractive watch you could.

At this point in history for Bond, all watches are mechanical. The first successful self-winding system was invented in 1923 by John Harwood, which used a pivoting weight that swung as the wearer's arm moved to wind up the mainspring again. Ordinarily you would need to regularly wind your watch to keep it ticking and accurate, but now you could pay a premium to make your life easier. Rolex modified this system in 1930 for their Oyster Perpetual line, creating an extremely reliable watch that could operate up to 35 hours off stored energy and "recharge" itself easily. There are other ways to make automatic watches, but Rolex is so reliable that they were certified as chronometers.

Everything would be shattered in 1969 with the release of the Seiko Astron: the world's first mass produced quartz watch. Using the piezoelectric properties of quartz crystals to regulate the mechanism, you now had a reliable electric watch that never needed winding...ever. Solid state electronics in the 1980s made quartz watches incredibly cheap, virtually destroying the traditional mechanical watch market. Even the best, most expensive mechanical timepieces were obsolete in the face of modern technology. The Swiss watchmaking industry collapsed as the world shifted to the Asian companies like Seiko and Casio that embraced the new technology, putting tens of thousands of Swiss citizens out of work and shuttering what were once the biggest names in watchmaking. Watches in general started seeing a decline with the commonality of cell phones, especially smartphones in the past decade, that took over the role of keeping time.

What does it mean, then, when James Bond wears a mechanical watch? It's no longer necessary, so it's now a statement. It's fashionable, yes, but a watch is still a sign of your wealth and status. Mechanical watches are obsolete, so Rolex and others survived by emphasizing their craftsmanship and expense. A brand new Rolex Submariner will run you about $12,000, and even a used Explorer like Fleming and the literary Bond wore is $6000. Wearing a Rolex or Omega is saying to everyone who looks at you "I have an unlimited bank account and very expensive tastes. I can drop the price of a new car on an accessory that I don't even need." Wearing a fake Rolex is saying that you desperately want to be perceived that way.

Today, even cheaper watches have experienced a kind of renaissance among men looking to accessorize and hearken back to "a time when men were men." Wearing a watch is much like wearing a suit. The watches James Bond wears are practical for his job, water-resistant and superbly accurate to let him keep the time everywhere he goes on every adventure, but more than anything they tell you what kind of man he is. And as you can imagine, a helpful website exists to catalog them!

Sean Connery continued the literary Bond's love affair with a Rolex Submariner 6358. There's a story that it was Cubby Broccoli's own watch, tossed at the art department when Rolex declined to provide a timepiece and the budget couldn't afford one. Bond continued wearing a Submariner all the way through Thunderball, with the one in Goldfinger having a too-small RAF nylon strap.

Interestingly, it wasn't the only watch he wore! The obsessive man running James Bond Watches, Dell Deaton, eyed a gold Gruen Precision 510 that Connery wore in the London scenes as well as the Jamaica airport, which turns into the Rolex in his taxi and remains as such in a continuity error; the Gruen is a dress watch appropriate for Bond to wear in his tux at the casino while the Rolex is a diver's watch suitable for adventuring, but the airport scene was the first day of filming and they seem to have used what they had in stock before they got Cubby's Rolex. The same type of watch is believed to be the one Connery wore in You Only Live Twice and was worn by Peter Franks in Diamonds Are Forever. It might be the most accessible Bond watch, costing less than $1000 used nowadays.

Of course, the most famous watch of the Connery days wasn't Bond's at all. In From Russia with Love, Red Grant uses a garrote wristwatch rather than a gun hidden in a book. This is one of several replicas people have made; the actual watch is never seen clearly enough to identify the actual model. There's a good chance the prop could have simply been a cheap watch that was gutted to fit the garrote mechanism.

Thunderball gave Bond an additional watch: a Breitling Top Time modified into a Geiger counter. First released in 1964, this was a brand new watch on the market intended as their entry-level product (one that still costs several thousand dollars to buy today). Breitling partnered with the aviation industry to supply timepieces, making the Top Time a common watch for aviators and air racers of the time. Surprisingly, they're not automatics! You need to keep them all wound.

In his sole outing, George Lazenby wore both the Rolex Submariner 5513 at the end of the film and a Rolex Chronograph 6238 in his Sir Hilary Bray disguise. The 6238 is a pretty rare watch today, as it was unsuccessful until it was used as the official timekeeper at the Daytona International Speedway in 1962. Rolex re-released the watch in 1963 as the Cosmograph Daytona 6239, which became the watch famously worn by Paul Newman during his racing days.

Bond only stepped away from high-end mechanical timepieces for a short time. In the opening sequence of Live and Let Die when Bond's fling at home with Italian agent Miss Caruso is interrupted by a visit from M and Moneypenny, he's wearing a Hamilton Pulsar P2 2900, the first successful mass produced digital watch in history. Befitting its small size for the era, it drew power like mad and doesn't even display the time unless you press a button. It has no other features. Zip. Nada.

During this scene, Bond is also given back his "newly repaired" Submariner 5513. The Roger Moore era immediately begins handing Bond gadgets that come in handy to save the day at the exact right time, so this watch has a powerful magnet (somehow always exactly the strength and direction needed to grab whatever Bond wants regardless of distance) and can spin the stainless steel bezel as a saw blade to break free of ropes over a shark tank. The same watch would be used in The Man with the Golden Gun shortly after.

The next gadget watch would be in The Spy Who Loved Me, with Bond wearing a Seiko 0674 LC digital watch that comes with a mini-printer for messages from M (you'd think a pager would work better).

Bond sticks with the Seiko in Moonraker, this time an M354 Memory Bank Calendar with a non-standard band and hidden explosive inside. It's apparent at this point how strong the quartz revolution is hitting the industry and how much the producers are trying to make the aging Roger Moore seem modern and hip. Just as he finds himself in safari suits and tan sport coats, he wears the latest technology instead of a symbol of old masculinity.

For Your Eyes Only did a lot to try and bring Bond back to his old self, which included a compromise with the watches. While not a classic mechanical watch, Bond wears a Seiko H357 Duo Display and Seiko 7549-700 rather than a digital watch. The 7549 "Golden Tuna" was a professional dive watch with a modern quartz movement that cost roughly $2100 in modern money when released, while the Duo Display shows off with both an analog watch face and a digital date display (which, being an MI6 gadget, can display messages from headquarters).

Unfortunately, Octopussy was a return to form for Moore's Bond and went right back into the camp the previous movie tried to leave behind. He goes back to digitals, this time a Seiko G757 5020 Sports 100. This one comes from Q with a receiver for the tracker planted inside a Faberge Egg that serves as the movie's initial MacGuffin.

For a brief time, Bond also plays with a Seiko TV Watch in Q's lab. This is a very rare watch produced for a short time in the 1980s that could connect to a "portable" receiver to let you theoretically watch TV anywhere as you walked. The batteries lasted for a surprising 5 hours, but the expense of the watch and bulk of the whole setup made it impractical.

A View to a Kill is a timepiece smorgasbord. Bond wears three different Seiko watches during the film, the only one of which that has been positively identified being a Seiko H558-5000 with a garrote from a deleted scene. Pictured is the actual watch from the film, which was sold at auction for £6710. These watches were commonly worn by Arnold Schwarzenegger in his most famous action roles of the late 80s.

We start getting back to normal in The Living Daylights, with a Bond actor who obsessively read the books to get into character. Timothy Dalton wore a Heuer Professional Night-Dive 980.031; the company had just been purchased by TAG at the time the movie was in production so it's unknown under which name his watch was produced.

Dalton completely returns to the Bond we know in License to Kill, where he's got the new Rolex Submariner 16610. But this would be the last Rolex, for Pierce Brosnan gets us some serious product placement.

The Bond of the 90s wore only one watch: the OMEGA Seamaster 2541.80 and 2531.80. Whether it has a cutting laser, grappling hook, or explosive charge, the Seamaster is on Brosnan's wrist. Along with Brioni suits, OMEGA watches benefited greatly from this product placement and solidified OMEGA as the watch of the modern Bond.

Daniel Craig's Bond starts out Casino Royale with a pair of Seamasters, alternating between an OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean 2900.50.91 with a rubber strap and an OMEGA Seamaster 2220.80 with a standard stainless steel strap.

Quantum of Solace gives us the OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50, surprisingly cheap at $3200 used!

Skyfall marked the point where OMEGA seriously stepped up for Bond fans. Craig wears a custom Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M with a non-standard titanium case and Caliber 8500 movement capable of storing up to 60 hours of winding energy, but OMEGA also produced a limited edition version of the film watch (they had produced limited edition Bond watches before, but never one specifically for a film). The Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M Skyfall Limited Edition has the standard stainless steel case, Caliber 8507 movement, and SKYFALL 007 engraved on the face. 5007 were produced, of course.

Because Spectre was about bringing Blofeld back, they also gave Bond a custom watch to commemorate it: the OMEGA Seamaster 300 Spectre. This was the first time that not only was a watch made specifically for Bond, but released as an actual model simultaneously (albeit a limited edition). The nylon NATO strap hearkens back to Goldfinger and the watch overall features a very traditional style. As you can imagine, 7007 watches were produced at a price of £4750 new.

Just to finish up, this is my own watch. It's a Seiko SNE102 with a solar face, helping it keep on ticking as long as you take it outside, and water-resistant to 100 meters depth. It might not be a marine chronometer, but it's typical of the modern watch: reliable, attractive, and easy to use.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 13, 2019

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

How much would collecting the whole bunch set you back? :stare:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Somebody Awful posted:

How much would collecting the whole bunch set you back? :stare:

I’ll try adding it up when I’m at home, but a vintage Submariner like Connery wore is over $100,000 so...

Here it is in Goldfinger. See how small the band is?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

You also forgot one wrinkle I think might be significant here: during WWII, Rolex offered free replacement of watches to any British military customers who lost theirs due to hostilities. So for a veteran naval officer like Bond, it would not be unexpected or unusual for him to be wearing one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Meaty Ore posted:

You also forgot one wrinkle I think might be significant here: during WWII, Rolex offered free replacement of watches to any British military customers who lost theirs due to hostilities. So for a veteran naval officer like Bond, it would not be unexpected or unusual for him to be wearing one.

And for Fleming, as he was also Navy. But he likely would have chosen a Rolex anyway, given their reputation.

By comparison, Drax wore this Patek Philippe Calatrava in Moonraker:

This is a watch brand that costs well over $20,000 even today for something so simple. This line originated in 1932 as the ultimate in understated sophistication, including manual winding (no automatics here, boys) and an 18k gold case for Drax's. Bond's Rolex is a durable timepiece that will function well in adverse conditions. Drax's Swiss watch is a way of showcasing his wealth, putting a massive amount of money into something completely plain; to someone who doesn't recognize the brand, it would look identical to any random cheap watch. It's like wearing a plain white T-shirt that cost $400 so you can have a pricey tag on it.

Also fun for the news: this week the most expensive watch ever sold at auction! Patek Philippe made a complex timepiece that sold at Christie's for $31 million to raise money for muscular dystrophy research.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just did some napkin math on the value of those watches. Assuming you only buy one of each and picking prices at random from what is/was available online, it comes out to roughly $192,237.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Dalton completely returns to the Bond we know in Licence to Kill

You say this, but that film is about him successfully infiltrating the villain's operation to destroy it from the inside, and he only doesn't escape scot-free thanks to some horrible bad luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's a reason why in spy and crime shows that an expensive watch is the #1 giveaway that someone is being bribed, or having some illicit side job - "How does someone afford a Rolex on a cop's salary?"