Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Or the entire fortress is taken over by zombies with adamantium gear.

Either way, I'm requesting for a re-dorfing/humaning. I'm up for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I know it's easy to overlook this with all that's going on but please remember your job of ensuring my Dwarf survives at any cost.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the military genius Lpzie has been slain.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Sankis posted:

I know it's easy to overlook this with all that's going on but please remember your job of ensuring my Dwarf survives at any cost.

I'd never forget. If I did, I'd have to open a path to the underworld, make you an adamantine coffin, and invade a vault just to fashion it into the only acceptable burial chamber possible in unmodded Dwarf Fort- filled with every artifact and piece of adamantine we have, of course.

On that note, would Sankis like to pursue some more of his legendary wood crafting? He's feeling a bit of self pity from having done zero work whatsoever for the last year or so. He's currently praying to Geshud.

IPA Regulations posted:

I am still hopeful for a happy ending: a hardened handful of elite sociopaths clad in adamantium. Made mighty from repeatedly slaying their reanimated friends and family, taking over the neighbouring necromancer tower and conquering death itself
We'll see how many dwarves we can manage to have decked out in candy armor before the end. I don't have much right now, but I know Idhrendur would never let us down in the quality of products.

HardDiskD posted:

Or the entire fortress is taken over by zombies with adamantium gear.

Either way, I'm requesting for a re-dorfing/humaning. I'm up for anything.

That is a possible alternative provided we don't all burn in dragon/hellfire.

You're now the human scholar who somehow managed to nearly die of starvation and thirst wandering around the caverns to Geshud knows where. He was hardcore enough to search for vermin to eat before giving up and somehow making it all the way to the mess hall. Apparently he wanted to try being Bear Grylls or something.

Lpzie posted:

the military genius Lpzie has been slain.

Not my fault. You died last winter when Gmc9987 went berserk. Your various body parts are still crawling about the outside, attacking humans. We're hoping someday to collect one of the hands once it's done strangling things so we have something to put in your coffin.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 7, 2019

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Did I injure anyone with my child strength?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

PetraCore posted:

Did I injure anyone with my child strength?

I don't think so. Your tantrum didn't last long- apparently being part of the brawl where Hats insisted tearing some of his clothing off, I think. There was a lot of clothes lying about on the floor and I don't know where they came from.

I think you were the one who threw a plump helmet at him, though. I can only imagine after doing that and probably wrestling a shoe off of somebody, you went off in a corner to play make believe safe in the knowledge that children won't get arrested.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The Flying Twybil posted:

I'd never forget. If I did, I'd have to open a path to the underworld, make you an adamantine coffin, and invade a vault just to fashion it into the only acceptable burial chamber possible in unmodded Dwarf Fort- filled with every artifact and piece of adamantine we have, of course.

On that note, would Sankis like to pursue some more of his legendary wood crafting? He's feeling a bit of self pity from having done zero work whatsoever for the last year or so. He's currently praying to Geshud.

I mean, sure. I could use a hobby.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh wow I actually did something useful, that's unexpected for a broker in this most inhospitable of Mountainhomes. It even involved the cleansing power of indiscriminately applied magma, and I survived - I couldn't possibly ask for more.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

~ Worker's Log- Month of Slate 573 ~
First real notable thing for the month is that the Baroness Consort decided to become a citizen. Nobody knows why, but she's helping out with work now, I guess. Better not slow us down.

Not much else happened for the month aside from the adamantine work finally beginning.

Volmarias the Second ended up standing in place without sleeping for a very long time. He wasn't catatonic, just refused to move from the spot, apparently.

~ Worker's Log - Summer ~
Volmarias II is still where he is. Nobody knows what's up with him, but we don't know how much longer he'll make it. We decided to frame him for Disorderly Conduct so he'll get sent to prison. Maybe he'll come to his sense then?

Nothin' against him, we'd just prefer he not go insane. He's a drat good bone carver, for what that's worth.

An adamantine battle axe was made and entrusted to our best axe user, Rutile. It is of average quality, but we do not blame our stressed smiths.

The humans have left- at least which ones arent trapped within the colossus. It still unleashes magma, for their is no access to the lever. We will have to see what happens.

The outside is absolutely covered in undead- there isn't much we can do about that right now either.

Crude war horns of the goblins could be heard from atop the mountain. They have no entrance, why do they bother?

We will enjoy listening to them fight the undead outside for us.

Dwarves seem to have taken to sleeping on the floor in the past months. They do not complain, so some of us must suspect the well carved floors are rather comfortable.

There are too many rabbits. We are getting tired of eating plump helmets, so this might make a tasty appetizer.

drat. More fights are breaking out. It's always this hallway too!

Gbuchold has be re-elected as our mayor. No complaints about his skills with metalworking, but we don't really know if he's doing much as mayor. Some of us wish he'd put his skilled hands to use at the forges.

Work at the forges is going well though: we now have 2 finely made adamantine high boots. A little bit longer and we'll have one of our dwarves nearly invincible.

In short time, Gbuchold reminds us of his skill by working out a fine and masterwork set of adamantine gauntlets in a few hours. Haulers were having to lift people's jaws off the ground.

On a more serious note, the goblins, just like the humans, are slaughtering anyone who comes to visit our fine mountain. 'Tis a shame, but there's little we can do about it without a champion.

~Worker's Log, Near the End Of the Month~

We've heard another deep rumbling from the caverns- we hope our military can handle this fire-breathing beast.

So Math III was in the caverns gathering plants when we heard the roar, and we haven't head from the geographer since. We fear the worst.

Slaan, a child began raising hell in one of the hallways but nobody had time to bother with brats at a time like this. A fire-breathing beast could spell an end to our military. It would stop at nothing unless we stopped it.

...Thank the gods that we kept so much livestock in those caverns. The beast got held up trying to slaughter them one by one, more than enough time for our skilled units to make it down to the caverns.

First to the scene is Dog Kisser, our trusty manager. He seemed to be an even match for the beast.

Then it charged him, knocking him to the floor and removing a few teeth. He still held on bravely for as long as he could.

...Geshud take his brave soul to the halls of war.

A monster hunter in the fort finally saw her chance for glory and went at it. The enormous tick was engulfed in flame as it lit a discarded barrel of ale.

The hunter continued to dodge around the beast as Dog Kisser did. It was too difficult to approach the thing!

Then arrived Rutile to the scene, underequipped but wielding the adamantine axe with pride.

Charging, she immediately hacked off a foot with no effort. The craftsmanship held true- was there ever any doubt?

She follows by taking of the leg it was attached to almost as a taunt. Audible beyond the beast's roars was her words:

Slice, another leg gone. A charge forward easily dodged. Slice. Another leg gone. Sidestepping the fire, a downwards cleave tearing through chitin.

We were witness that day to a sight of a true warrior- one the mountain had long since needed.

The beast toppled over, having lost half of its legs. Another axe swing dug deep and penetrated the guts. Another slice, another leg gone.

The battle raged past Dog Kisser's fallen body. His sacrifice would not be in vain. The foul fiend, struggling to move across the ground went for another rush. It would be its last.

In a clean cut, she severed the beast's head off, it slamming against a wall. Saying nothing, she began recovering the lost belongings of her fallen friends.

It had taken time, but Valleysilences had found itself a new heroine- one stepping long from retirement back into the world of combat.

Confirmed deaths are So Math III who was only doing his part and Dog Kisser who valiantly gave his life to stall for the others. I don't think anyone else died.

We're getting somewhere, I think. Hopefully things will speed up and/or get more chaotic by the day. I don't plan on doing a month a time for the rest of my run, but we'll have to see if the game wants to ease up on trying to kill me.

Oh, and here's some MS Paint Art that sleep-deprived me managed to do. Comes in clean .PNG and Major Visual Scum .JPG . Decided this event was worthy enough of me trying to make something for it.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Man, the universe is unrelenting. That artwork is very nice.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
All these idiot attacking armies.

"This place is defended by a never-ending magma flow and an infinite supply of undead guardians! There must be something great in there!"

[a week later]

"Wow, looks like there are even more undead guardians than we heard! There must be something great in there!"

[a week later]

"Lay siege boys, the stories underrated the number of undead guardians! You'd think it was growing by the day!"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Clearly the goblins are just child protective services trying to rescue the children from this cursed pit.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

~Season of Summer, Unknown Worker's Log~

Not much is happening of note, anymore. After her brave defense of our mountain, work to armor Rutile in the best we can make is still going strong. She doesn't like fighting at all, but she accepts the duty with a reserved manner as she's the only one left with great skill in combat.

We were alerted to the sudden death of Strrrrront today- a sad affair given his promise and skill with the axe. Few know what happened, but the pus nearby suggests he had been hiding an infection and refused to tell anyone. He was found lying in his bed and will be entombed with care.

A tantruming child tried to push our eminent smith idrhendur into the magma veins beneath his forge. He reported the crime, but nobody will bother to give an actual punishment.

Nearing the Autumn season, SOLarian finally lost it. She was struggling to stay strong, and some of us feel regret that we could not help her. Most of them feel nearly the same way. She no longer responds to anything.

A sad turn of life, but thus is the way it has become in Valleysilences. Many of us are too busy dealing with our personal struggles to help the others- the ones who take it upon themselves to be benevolent are heroes indeed, but they rarely last long.

Soon, a caravan may arrive from the mountainhome. Perhaps that would lift spirits.

At some point, our potter, The Bible, starts attacking people. He fights wildly, taking two people down nearly to unconsciousness.

That eventually ends. In the meantime, our smiths have finished the last piece of armor for Rutile, an adamantine chain shirt that did not turn out all that well. Unfortunate.

Every month is just endless complaining and depression. It's getting tiring.

Gbuchold imposed a ban on exporting bins again. Crazy coot loves his bins, apparently.

The plan than happened to keep the humans out seems to have backfired a bit- some of the lava falls to the caverns, but we can't really stop the flow for too long or the path will be open again.

Some dwarf started rumors about there being metals more pure than adamantine if we just dug deeper. There's some talk about going deeper for more adamantine anyways. A lot of the workers don't know what we're here for, aside from unearthing the miracle material.

I talked them out of it for now, but I'll admit, the rumors had me thinking...

---
Current State of Dwarfy Affairs: Not much is happening right now, the fortress is in a slow slog of endless job cancellations and brief, but rather bad fist-fights. Check the below post for a few more musings on this.

Dorf List

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Computer viking posted:

Oh wow I actually did something useful, that's unexpected for a broker in this most inhospitable of Mountainhomes. It even involved the cleansing power of indiscriminately applied magma, and I survived - I couldn't possibly ask for more.
Hey, you went right for it with dwarven dedication. Usually I have to wait a bit before anything gets done on time, but you were raring to smash that wall down. Getting the timing right was a bit difficult, but dwarven ingenuity was not to be dissuaded that day.

GruntMountain posted:

Man, the universe is unrelenting. That artwork is very nice.
Thanks! It's a much different approach than I usually take, but I put that towards me being tired more than anything.

PetraCore posted:

Clearly the goblins are just child protective services trying to rescue the children from this cursed pit.

It's like a depressing prison in here. I think the kobolds would be up on their child snatching rescuing of the youths provided there wasn't but 12 of them left in the entire world.

He was a good dwarf. His quick management will be missed. :salute:

PurpleXVI posted:

All these idiot attacking armies.

"This place is defended by a never-ending magma flow and an infinite supply of undead guardians! There must be something great in there!"

[a week later]

"Wow, looks like there are even more undead guardians than we heard! There must be something great in there!"

[a week later]

"Lay siege boys, the stories underrated the number of undead guardians! You'd think it was growing by the day!"

[Dwarves inside mountain]

"Do you hear fighting outside?"

"Probably just a bunch of corpse looters who didn't notice they were coming here."

"...You mean like the last bunch?"

"I've lost track of how many have come by at this point."

A Short Note:
So far I've completed half a year in here, but pursuit of any grand project isn't really active. I'm just indiscriminately producing adamantine as much as I can and filling the halls with tombstones because I ran out of empty rooms. My overseer character died about six days in, but I never had many more goals than trying to keep this place alive for now anyways. A loyalty cascade is probably incoming anyways, as these dwarves really like dwelling on past events.

If anyone wants to take it from here as overseer, at the start of autumn, feel free to say it in the thread. Unfortunately, my schedule's tightening up on me again, and spending a few hours each night slowly progressing each day is really biting in. If you've got a grand plan to enact, now's a good time since I don't think anything chaotic is going to happen for quite a bit, and you've still got time before everyone goes completely insane.

If not, I can just try to keep the fort alive in the meantime or decide to bring about some fun circumstances (probably taking us out in the process, but I've got a neat idea for it), depending on what the thread is feelin'.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 9, 2019

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

mAKWE ME A NEW DWARF MASTER.,

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Hey, what's going on in here, are you guys doing dwarfs? I want to be a dwarf. Can I be a dwarf?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Lpzie posted:

mAKWE ME A NEW DWARF MASTER.,

Ý͙̘̤͉͎̫̻̫͖͖͈̪ͪͫ̒ͧ̾ͩͫͣ͆͊͆̀o̙̯̬̥̭̞̠̤̗͛̿̅ͩ͂̍͂ͤ́ǘ̲̦̫͙̺͑ͥ̽̽́ ͡҉̳̭̪̞̗͠c͉̗̺̯̝͈̘̹̖̥̫̘̥̝͂̂̆̓̄̾̔͋͊͐ͣ̿͌ͪ̀͜ȧͧ̂̄̈̉̒̅̀n̡ ̖ͩh̴̹̘͙̥̝͔͖͍̤̾̌ͨͯͮ́ͩͤ́̚aͧ̉̓v̻̼ͅe ̛͟th͉̮ͣ̉̕͟ë̵̴̦̥̩͓̞͓̠̞̳̲̰̪͚̘̩́̃͋̊̿̉ͨͫ͊̽̈́̂̋͐̋ ̢̏̏͆̿ͯ͑̅p̶͏ő̖͎̞̗ͪ̉̅w͓̱̞̱̼̗̠̯̄͂͑ͩͣͬͫ̈́̕͝e̫̺̟͚̤͓͈͕̘̊̋̏̒͐̔̐̾͒r̟̲͚͖̦̗̜̠͙̟͙̖̐̐̅̊͐̇̄̏͒͆̒̂.̨̲̻̩͚̙̱̤͇̝̖͓͉̱ͣ͋̍̽ͫͮ̑̅̔ͭ͌̐ͫ͂̀͢ͅ.̴̬̦̮͚͕̗͎̻̮̦̣̾ͦ̃̃ͧͮ̈̎̃̔̏͟.̱̭͉͕͇̮̄ͬ̽́ͣͣ

...Tonight. This fortress file is still big enough to choke my internet as is. I've got the three main fighters of the Reclusive Crypts stationed in their barracks with all their gear in case you don't want to wait a day for them to gather everything again. Goblins are still sieging, the lavacock is still going, the entry is still being flooded with lava, but most of the the dwarves are still sane.

The fortress is alive, but in still in probably as much chaos as before.

Araganzar posted:

Hey, what's going on in here, are you guys doing dwarfs? I want to be a dwarf. Can I be a dwarf?

Probably. There's quite a few performers and such that have joined without a name.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'm meditating on murder. Is that a worry?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Sad King Billy posted:

I mean, a lot of people have been doing it so I suppose it's just a new fad. Even when a dwarf throws a tantrum, nobody's gotten that close to dying.

...At least that I know of. I still don't know how those two dwarves from before ended up dead in the hallways.

If anyone wants to take it from here as overseer, at the start of autumn, feel free to say it in the thread. Unfortunately, my schedule's tightening up on me again, and spending a few hours each night slowly progressing each day is really biting in. If you've got a grand plan to enact, now's a good time since I don't think anything chaotic is going to happen for quite a bit, and you've still got time before everyone goes completely insane.

If not, I can just try to keep the fort alive in the meantime or decide to bring about some fun circumstances (probably taking us out in the process, but I've got a neat idea for it), depending on what the thread is feelin'.

The above still applies for now, by the way. Being a (sort of) overseer is fun, but when it takes minutes to progress one day, my afternoons are starting to be nonexistent. Continue as we are, find an ending, or does a new overseer want a shot at it?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Sad King Billy posted:

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the game, my only experience with it is this and one or two other LPs, so when I was checking on my dwarf, it caught my eye that someone else nearby on the list was "meditating on fire." I... Did not parse this correctly at first, and was very concerned.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm against purposely tanking the fortress.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I didn't see my name on those lists :saddowns: how'd I die the second time?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I didn't see my name on those lists :saddowns: how'd I die the second time?

Apparently you were strangled by the elf left lower arm Groovedlimb a year back. Both of your ghosts have been the haunting types as well.

So Math posted:

I'm against purposely tanking the fortress.

Same here, I was just providing the option mostly because I'm trying to figure out what the thread's looking for in these next two seasons.

I think I'll just continue on, as is, trying not to be eliminated by whatever madness the game decides to keep throwing my way. It'll take me a bit of time to get the next update, but I'll try to see if I can cover the entirety of autumn.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I am very glad that I've survived all this time so I can continue to plant the best darn crops around! Keep planting well my dwarf!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Compendium of the Mountainhome: Records of Valleysilences

~* Month of Autumn, 573 : Exerpts from a Child's Diary*~

*Translated from an error filled Dwarvish to be clearer. For the original text, refer to "---'s Diry No piking" in the Sources Section.

"Last week I said I was gonna become the new greeter for the mountain when I grow up and I've got the best plan ever on how to do that! I'm gonna start writing out my tour in here, an' I'll be the bestest choice for the job."

"I'll write everything that happened today as if I was giving a tour! This is gonna work great, yeah!"

Betterest Tour Notes

Hiiii~! Welcome to Volcanosilences Valleysilences! Home of the biggest, shiny man!

Our colostrum colossus is the biggest in the world, I swear! He just got himself a new head! Our big man helps scare off all the bad folks, and he's made with tons of pretty things too!

Some of us like to think he looks like Geshud, our great protector! Big, strong, and stout! You ever heard of 'em?

Here's what he looks like! I carry this around with me everywhere I go- see, look even his arms move! Ziz made this for me, but he's not as good as Mr. Sankis!

Don't mind the limbs 'n stuff, if they start chasin' after ya, just give 'em a good kick! It's really fun, sometimes Commander Keene and I have contests! Don't worry, he's not a real commander, but he will be one day! He makes the best stoneware you've ever see!

Brrr! *Shiver real convincingly* It's really chilly out here! We've got the hottest magma around, so let's hurry on in to get out of this cold!

Oh, but before you do- make sure if you're bringing any drinks to keep it far away from the big statue's naughty spot. You'll end up a lot warmer than you wanted for sure!

There's a whole lotta entrances in here, but most of 'em stay closed just in case gobs or tree huggers come by! Same goes for the tallfolk! You're all visitors, so don't worry!

You'll be totally safe here! These doors are totally indelectable indecent indestructible so the only way they're getting in is by smashing the front walls down- and that's, like, impossible!

Don't worry, if you ever get angry or sad here, just pray to Geshud and you'll calm down! If that doesn't work you can just break something, too! You'll probably get chained up for it, but you'll calm down anyways, right?

Hey, there goes Sad King Billy! He's not the king, so I don't know why we call him that, maybe its because he's sad because he's not a king? Either way he's walkin' around all spooky like- don't worry about that either, everyone does it from time to time. This time's special, 'cause we know he's gonna make something real good!

See? There goes Mafol, he grew up yesterday and he's got a real job now! He's got one of those blank stares too, but I don't know if he's going to work on anything!

If you do get like that, just be sure to remember we've got ale that's betterer than any other in the world!

Here's Mr. Sankis's workshop! He makes the best wood around, and he even made the big statue outside too! He's a real neat guy, but a bit moody, so watch out!

"Note: Don't bother Mr. Sankis too much, he got really touchy and like, mopey. Can't have our visitors seeing that!"

Oh! Do you hear that bell? That means our mayor, gbuchold, just made a new work order!

Yep, yep! That's what we expect from good 'ol gbuchold! He just loves his bins, so if you see any you like- remember that they're not for sale!

Oh, and look, they fixed up the lever and made another, too! We neatly label all levers so we know what they do, but don't pull 'em if nobody said to! This one lever opens up the entrance below and the other floods everything with lava! Yeah, isn't that cool?!

Now, I was gonna give the super secret tour of our kitchens where all these legendary meals are made...but it might be a good idea if we don't for now. I don't have full clearance for that, so let's go look at bunnies!

"Note: I dunno what got into the kitchen but it smelled kinda odd in there. I'm used to the smell but they're probably not!"

Now our bunnies are really cute and taste really good if you've been having plump helmuts for quite a while. They grow real fast too, so there's always bunnies around!

Sad King Billy finished what he was working on! Isn't this one of the prettiest things you've ever seen? Usually we stick to stone and metal, but we sometimes come up with neat ideas for other stuff like bone!

If you wanna see somethin' real pretty, just look at our minutia militia!

All this shiny, blue stuff is our pride and joy! Geshud's blessed us with a lot of it in our time and it's the best available for war!

And since we're back outside, that ends our tour for the day! You can head back on in, or stay out here and have fun kicking a few fingers around!

"I think this came out good, but it's not the bestest just yet! One day the king's gonna come here and his socks are gonna fly off- and then we'll have to make adamantine socks for him!"

Translation Notes: This was the only piece of writing we could find to fill in this spot of The Unruly Time at Valleysilences, where there was no overseer. A peculiar piece it is, given that a child knew how to write, which leads us to believe they were related to someone important. What we found particularly disturbing was the innocent glee this entire diary was written in spite of the dark subject matters and how terribly cursed that place was.

----

Well, uh... This was...something to write. It's a bit crazy in here, folks. We got an absolutely weak amount of terribly unskilled migrants, but they've helped to fill in missing holes. Everything that happened I think you can gather from the above, but I would like to note that the traders that did arrive exploded when their barrels of alcohol exploded from the leftovers of the lavacock.

Also:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Gotta love that 3D stonesense lava cock. Glad to see my latest incarnation, a goblin performer no less, is doing his best to ingratiate himself with his hosts by bringing one of their corpses (or parts thereof) to their designated tomb.

Probably resisiting the urge to just eat it at all times, while also reasonably worried about the non-zero chance of it eating him instead.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Well, uh... This was...something to write. It's a bit crazy in here, folks. We got an absolutely weak amount of terribly unskilled migrants, but they've helped to fill in missing holes. Everything that happened I think you can gather from the above, but I would like to note that the traders that did arrive exploded when their barrels of alcohol exploded from the leftovers of the lavacock.

Tragedy strikes again. :qq: I could have drunk that alcohol.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

IPA Regulations posted:

Gotta love that 3D stonesense lava cock. Glad to see my latest incarnation, a goblin performer no less, is doing his best to ingratiate himself with his hosts by bringing one of their corpses (or parts thereof) to their designated tomb.

Probably resisiting the urge to just eat it at all times, while also reasonably worried about the non-zero chance of it eating him instead.

IPA IV has been very helpful, actually. He does a lot of the hauling and construction work that the rest of the dwarves take days to get to.

His insistence on doing burial stuff is possibly a bad thing, but there's so much of it to do.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Tragedy strikes again. :qq: I could have drunk that alcohol.

I mean, they left behind a barrel or two of animal person blood- that's still a win, right?

I have no idea why the hell they have that. There's weirder things to have, but... yeah.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

the traders that did arrive exploded when their barrels of alcohol exploded from the leftovers of the lavacock.

mods?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

No mods, but it's the best explanation I can give. Alcohol normally only boils away, but half the caravan group sorta just vanished. I imagine their carts and stuff melted with them since they're nowhere to be found. They unloaded some stuff at the depot it seems, but vanished without a trace.

I was looking at construction on the head, saw Merchant has been found dead, and looked at the depot to find basically nobody around when the carts were moving in just seconds ago.

E: I still have no idea how they managed to die that badly from one or two puddles of 1/7 lava. Kinda disappointing as I was hoping to trade for stuff.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 12, 2019

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm not really asking if you are modding the game. That is just a way to "ask" the SA mods to do the needful and change the thread title to that. :v:

But that is an amusing explanation nonetheless!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm meditating on murder. That didn't take long.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

HardDiskD posted:

I'm not really asking if you are modding the game. That is just a way to "ask" the SA mods to do the needful and change the thread title to that. :v:

But that is an amusing explanation nonetheless!

Ah, well, I figured it was one of the two- went for the safer bet. I don't want to feel like I'm uninformative!

"Dwarf Fortress 2017: The Traders Exploded With Their Alcohol Due to Lavacock" is definitely a possible thread title.

(Coincidentally, I do actually have quite a bit of modding experience with the game. I know how to do some rather crazy things :science:)

Black Robe posted:

I'm meditating on murder. That didn't take long.

I mean, Geshud is a god of murder, not just fortresses and war. Sometimes you really gotta sit down and think: "man, is it murder to kill the undead corpses of my kind? They are sort of alive after all."

It's probably just a passing fad, though. I mean, the kids are getting into it, but stuff like that never lasts, right?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Apparently you were strangled by the elf left lower arm Groovedlimb a year back. Both of your ghosts have been the haunting types as well.
At least I died in an interesting fashion. Even in death, I still shitpost! :ghost:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Volmarias the Second ended up standing in place without sleeping for a very long time. He wasn't catatonic, just refused to move from the spot, apparently.

~ Worker's Log - Summer ~
Volmarias II is still where he is. Nobody knows what's up with him, but we don't know how much longer he'll make it. We decided to frame him for Disorderly Conduct so he'll get sent to prison. Maybe he'll come to his sense then?

:smith:

Nothin' against him, we'd just prefer he not go insane. He's a drat good bone carver, for what that's worth.

:unsmith:

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Guess the pressure was too much for my dwarf :(
I'd like to be redwarfed/humaned/whatevered please :)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
OI' Hollow-Eyed Habe, that's what they called me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Redwarf me as anything, that I may accomplish something this time :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

~ Worker's Log - Winter of 573 ~

My daughter wants to welcome people to the mountain when she grows older. It's an interesting idea, but her innocence has me a bit worried. In all honesty, I'd rather her do something more productive, like metalwork.

Regardless, this isn't a place for me to write out details of my personal life- someone has to keep track of what's going on in the mountain.

Early in the winter, our mayor made a beautiful sword of adamantine. It was entrusted to the leader of our swordsdwarves who now finds it all the much easier to reduce the undead to crawling piles for our hammerdwarves. I can only imagine the damage it would deal to something living.

A king consort also came to visit- even in spite of the danger we seem to be rather famous!

NiftyBottle handed in his resignation from the military today. In spite of his wounds, he was one of the first to volunteer for the rebuilt militia, but he finally gave in to a quiet life of peaceful work. He was diagnosed with a few infections we had no idea of, which means it's a question of how much longer he'll be with us.

His bravery and willingness to lend his axe arm will not be forgotten if he does not pull through, and if so, we can hope Geshud will admit him to the halls of war.

As a test, we released some lava from the resevoir on the side of the volcano- it served well to eradicate some undead bodies. We may need to see about filling it back up, as it could prove useful against another siege.

Later that day, Deathbagel lost it. The dwarf had been in a non-stop battle with melancholy, but finally snapped.

Some enterprising poets and a brewer ended up sending Deathbagel to his demise. It was a bloody, uncomfortable thing, but it was self-defense. The dwarf's eyes had become posessed with wild fury- there was no turning back.

Later on this month, Rutile got the Reclusive Crypts together for some more training. Her skill was beginning to show, and her pride as a teacher was uplifting to all of us. Her skill at combat is very reassuring to us all.

In the meantime, our swordsdwarves sought training on the outside. While we picked up the useful remains of the unfortunate caravan and the various armor littered about the ground, they took to keeping the dead on the ground.

We are having a great many warriors visit, and for this we can only be thankful. Quite a few of them are contemplating joining, and fresh, skilled soldiers will be very beneficial to our fortress.

We were also told of a relic somewhere in the world, but few of us want to bother after we lost our best fighting force on that expedition long ago.

At one point, Brother Buer, one of our talented axedwarves under command of Rutile lost his cool. Many of us were frightened he'd make a swing with his axe we'd all regret, but he merely opted to sulk in his room for a time. We don't want what happened with Deathbagel to happen again.

Some more living quarters were carved out by our miners due to a lack of things to do. We'll furnish them and a few more of us can move out of the dormitories. Last time I checked, we had 30+ wafers of adamantine, so it makes sense the miners have suspended their search for the miracle material.

~A Final Entry for the Year~
This season had been relatively peaceful, but a series of unsettling events happened toward the end.

First, Cyflan was found dead near the kitchens with utter horror frozen upon his face.

Terrifyingly, the haunting form of WampaPartyEX stood, nay floated, nearby the corpse screaming in an earsplitting rage. We have sworn to have seen ghosts of our comrades before, but nothing like this!

Masons immediately ran to work on tombstones again: we had held off on that grim duty for too long it seems.

As they hurriedly chipped away at a gabbro slab, a dwarf ran to inform us that HardHead, our jailed militia captain had gone insane as well- frothing at the mouth, tearing at their hair, and screaming vile curses.

We don't go down there anymore. The key was thrown into the lava- though we had hoped before, HardHead is no longer with us.

I can only hope an overseer comes to our fortress after all this time. It is no lost hope, and can be brought to success, I'm sure. We're just workers, none of us worthy enough strategists to take up the title of Overseer.

If you're out there, Valleysilences waits for your guidance.

For now, I'll go spend some time with my daughter. I've been so concerned with keeping records that I haven't had much time to be her father. I made a toy figurine for her- she seems to love those. Here's to hoping she hasn't forgotten her old man, and I'll still have time to spend with her.

~ Signed, ~-|-~_\-`/-`}-`-/

-----~~~~~~~~~~~~~------

All those asking for names should be accounted for! The fortress is still chaotic, but it's in a more functional state now, I think. Fun lurks around the corner somewhere, but I have no idea in what form and when it'll rear it's head. For those taking over next I did label and name the levers for the new, indestructible drawbridge doors. They do have the potential to smash or fling things, so be careful with 'em!

Now, who shall step up to lead Valleysilences forth into the year of 574?