Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

(But imagine Kelvin and Celcius are both pointing their guns at Fahrenheit because they only have a very minor disagreement)

Also let's have some science memes because F vs C is literally the dumbest debate ever

And also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
How about a beer?

http://www.rustedspoke.com/home.html

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NoContextBoomer/status/1193961706071957505?s=19

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

bike tory posted:

(But imagine Kelvin and Celcius are both pointing their guns at Fahrenheit because they only have a very minor disagreement)

Also let's have some science memes because F vs C is literally the dumbest debate ever

And also

lol nice

What's the cocaine one about tho? My friend was asking

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/ToadKingStudios/status/1193187109554790401?s=19

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sjs00 posted:

Struggles is a nice way of saying blatantly and violently refuses

Edit: misread, joke didn’t make sense

Grassy Knowles has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Nov 12, 2019

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

*exhales*

"how come no one asks to speak to my manager?"

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

One More Fat Nerd posted:

One of my most concrete examples of age changing my tastes is watching MWC as an adult in my 30's vs. a teen when it originally aired. I crushed on Kelly when i was like 15-16, and found Peg gross, but now its like: Al, dude your wife is hot and horny, wtf wrong with you? gently caress your poor horny wife.

same but i can watch applegate watch paint dry.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

lol nice

What's the cocaine one about tho? My friend was asking

It binds to the proteins that would normally transport dopamine back into the pre- and post-synaptic neuron to be recycled. That causes a big increase in the availability of dopamine to bind to dopamine receptors.

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Nov 12, 2019

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

(i think this has already been posted)
https://twitter.com/mrbrianfirenzi/status/1193269846420537344?s=19

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

bike tory posted:

It binds to the proteins that would normally transport dopamine back into the pre- and post-synaptic neuron to be recycled. That causes a big increase in the availability of dopamine to bind to dopamine receptors.

oh thats right, getting high isnt about the drug you ingest making you high. its about the substance you ingest getting in the way of your normal boring neuro workflow so that you just think you get high. its crazy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pastry of the Year posted:

I think you're both wrong; I like the cornbread communism memes because they intend to show that cultural differences, at heart, have more to do with economic class than anything else.

That said, I don't think anyone is seeing those memes that hasn't already changed their mind.

That THAT said, I know that you're evoking the large and underserved minority population in the American South. I get that. I also think it's fair to say that they American South has got a lot of systemic problems without that statement necessarily excluding "black or LGBT people."

We're not going to solve the problem of "The American South has a super racist tradition vs. The American South has a large population of black/LGBT people". We just absolutely are not.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

oh thats right, getting high isnt about the drug you ingest making you high. its about the substance you ingest getting in the way of your normal boring neuro workflow so that you just think you get high. its crazy

Nah im pretty sure some drugs make you high themselves, like I think opiates bind to the receptors rather than just increasing the availability of naturally occuring neurotransmitters. Or actually I think possibly they do both. I'm not an expert though

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Like the poster above said, cocaine inhibits reuptake of the neurotransmitters at the synapse. Interestingly, methamphetamine needs to be taken up at the synapse to work inside the cell. So if someone does cocaine and meth at the same time, the cocaine literally blocks the ability of the meth to work, and you’re just completely wasting your money.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

Speed Grapher theme was Duran Duran in the Japanese version, and I feel like I saw an English dub that used J Geils Band but I cant find any reference to this now. Maybe a different timeline?

Either way, that’s not too bad, as far as anime music is concerned.

Girls on Film was such an amazing song for that opening. Catching it in the US was a real letdown because they couldn't line up the rights.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I;m thinking about thos Means

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

In another thread

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

KoRMaK posted:

In another thread

hah

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Guys, SLAM book filled by SANTA.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Risk anime for for the chance of Fly Me to the Moon

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Play the anime, then they'll want to die and you'll feel less bad

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Drone_Fragger posted:

I love reminding people that the fact people even remember tbh confederacy shows that Sherman didn’t burn enough of it to the ground.

:hai:

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I think we need to change the coldness scale, like

It's "cool" if you can walk around comfortably in a sweater of any thickness. (Sorry, I think that's "jumper" in metric.)

It's "chilly" if it's only cold enough for your mom to make you wear a jacket, or if you are a grandma in a restaurant.

It's "cold" if the dumbest guy in your school is walking around in shorts and flip-flops loudly yelling YEAH BRUH I DON'T REALLY FEEL THE COLD HUH HUH HUH. This is also how you know if snow is on the ground.

Like, let's be empirical about this.

But why bother when all three of those words will become obsolete in a couple generations?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Segmentation Fox posted:

But why bother when all three of those words will become obsolete in a couple generations?

Nah, they'll still be in use. Except it'll be:

Cool = Man, cool out today. I've only sweated through 3 shirts today.
Chilly = Very chilly today, I almost though about doing up the buttons on my shirt.
Cold = drat cold right now, I actually wore pants instead of shorts today.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I can't decide if this is a meme, but I figured y'all would enjoy it:

https://gothfemme.neocities.org/okboomer/

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Besesoth posted:

I can't decide if this is a meme, but I figured y'all would enjoy it:

https://gothfemme.neocities.org/okboomer/

Goddamn it I watched this for 6 minutes and it still hasn’t hit the corner

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Can't kill myself huh? Those tracks right in front of me beg to differ :c00lbert:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

40 degrees Fahrenheit isn't spooky Kubrick cold, that's not even freezing.

-40 is where they meet up, now THAT'S a mindfuck.

Depends on who you ask. People from hot places that move to colder places treat 40 like OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE.

People from cold places are like "well if it's windy I'll consider a light jacket, maybe."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Depends on who you ask. People from hot places that move to colder places treat 40 like OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE.

People from cold places are like "well if it's windy I'll consider a light jacket, maybe."

Yeah that's funny as hell. I'm in Victoria BC (like Seattle temps but less rainy) and I've seen a few people wearing loving parkas. Tourists, I assume. I know it's November and technically we're in Canada, but it's been like 40-50F. Meanwhile some other dudes are wearing shorts and sandals.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah that's funny as hell. I'm in Victoria BC (like Seattle temps but less rainy) and I've seen a few people wearing loving parkas. Tourists, I assume. I know it's November and technically we're in Canada, but it's been like 40-50F. Meanwhile some other dudes are wearing shorts and sandals.

I had a professor that was originally Canadian. I don't think she even owned a winter coat. It would be like -15 degrees out and even people accustomed to the weather here would avoid going outside.

She'd be stomping around wearing leggings and a leather jacket. Maybe a scarf. Meanwhile the kid from California was acting like it was the apocalypse.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I had a professor that was originally Canadian. I don't think she even owned a winter coat. It would be like -15 degrees out and even people accustomed to the weather here would avoid going outside.

She'd be stomping around wearing leggings and a leather jacket. Maybe a scarf. Meanwhile the kid from California was acting like it was the apocalypse.

It's not fair to make fun of the Californian kid for not being used to a climate he didn't grow up with. I bet if the roles were reversed and you were suddenly in a state that is constantly catching fire you'd think it was the apocalypse too!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
People acclimate incredibly quickly though, too. Most of of my coworkers from india who lived there for most of their lives now find it unbearably hot when they return to visit family. I spent a year in south america, and after about 4 months, 40c/100% humidity went from being "help, I'm dying" to just an average hot day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bike tory posted:

Kelvin would join forces with Rankine to defeat Kelvin’s evil father, Celsius.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Facebook Aunt posted:

I just got back from a trip to New Orleans for Halloween (I live in the Seattle area), and I was wearing shorts walking around in the 60ish weather and in the evenings when it dipped into the mid-50s or so. Multiple people asked me if I was freezing to death, but I was pleasantly comfortable. :v:

(The first time I went was August 2012 I think, and New Orleans in August nearly killed me, oh god it's just so humid)

e. I'm also just a weirdo about cold weather though, I remember getting some serious snow as a kid in Oregon and walking out in it in shorts, which caused my mom to freak out a bit. Felt good to me!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Data Graham posted:

The military uses metric just fine, you’d think chuds would be all over it for that reason alone
There's a dumb guy at my work who was told to email out a scheduled time in 24-hour format, and sincerely asked his ex-Army boss if military time had 100 minutes in an hour.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

bike tory posted:

Fine.

Tiny brain: C vs F
Normal brain: Kelvin
Glowy brain: Non-dimensionalised temperature in units where Boltzmann's constant is 1.
Cosmic brain: Just use beta and avoid all that mysticism around "absolute zero" and negative temperatures.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Knormal posted:

There's a dumb guy at my work who was told to email out a scheduled time in 24-hour format, and sincerely asked his ex-Army boss if military time had 100 minutes in an hour.

Ugh, just reminded me of my old job. We ran on 24hr time there, and out of 20 people, maybe 3 could handle 24hr time in their head. Certainly parts of the job had to be checked at X+6hrs, X+12hrs, and X+18hrs, and we literally had to have a loving chart on the wall so people could figure it out. The entire day, mapped out in 15 minute increments, that told you what time it was in 12hr time, it's equivalent in 24hr time, and then what time it would be 6/12/18 hours later.

Any complaints about the chart would lead to a chorus of "Like, we're not mathologists. No one can do that poo poo in their heads!" Do what? Add 12?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Dzhay posted:

Fine.

Tiny brain: C vs F
Normal brain: Kelvin
Glowy brain: Non-dimensionalised temperature in units where Boltzmann's constant is 1.
Cosmic brain: Just use beta and avoid all that mysticism around "absolute zero" and negative temperatures.

:hmmyes: