Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And if you roll your fry bread too flat, you just reinvented roti/tortillas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

You can make flatbread in a frying pan. Just water, salt and flour, maybe some spices if you want to.

I Googled matsa and got just such a recipe so thanks, thread.

e: Rather odd that the first hit was that and not actual ‏מצה‎ but :shrug:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Paging Electric Hobo:

I was showing some possibilities for dark, dense breads to my mom and Rugbrød looked a lot like a bread she used to see the nuns making where she grew up in upstate New York so she's on board for messing with that in particular. I saw a few possibilities for this that gave a real spectrum for moisture. What was more common was something like a wet muck that you slop into a baking pan, but some were dry and kneaded. I'm wondering which way to lean in general and what to expect. I think the recipe you posted is going for the wet muck.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Paging Electric Hobo:

I was showing some possibilities for dark, dense breads to my mom and Rugbrød looked a lot like a bread she used to see the nuns making where she grew up in upstate New York so she's on board for messing with that in particular. I saw a few possibilities for this that gave a real spectrum for moisture. What was more common was something like a wet muck that you slop into a baking pan, but some were dry and kneaded. I'm wondering which way to lean in general and what to expect. I think the recipe you posted is going for the wet muck.
The wet muck in a pan is what we usually call rugbrød. It's the really hard stuff, it doesn't rise much, and have to be baked in a pan because of all the liquid.
The other kind is something like Sønderjysk rugbrød, which has a mix that you can knead and shape to some extent. It's closer to a normal loaf of bread, but is denser and more chewy. It' also not as hard as the other kind of rugbrød.

Both are good, but if you're going for something that's as far from what you normally eat as possible, you should make the wet kind.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I made a sourdough starter now that it's cold enough in my kitchen to get the right kind of microbes to grow. Here is my first loaf! The crumb has a few issues so I think I'll just have to bake sourdough regularly for it to get dialed in- what a shame!

Recipe is just the 1-2-3 Sourdough formula that you can google combined with no-kneading. Left it on the counter overnight for 12hrs (kitchen is about 65F right now), then in the fridge for 2 days.

Samwise the sourdough starter makes a tasty loaf! Can't wait to see what it can do once it's stronger and tangier.

effika fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 9, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Spent like 10 hours cooking and baking experiments (and dinner) yesterday.

To go with the soup for dinner, sourdough:

And one of my experiments, a challah / chocolate babka hybrid (needed to be a little more moist, and a little saltier, but a good first try):

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My first attempt at that rugbrød will probably be a failure for being too wet. The I soaked the seeds/rye berries beforehand for a recipe that didn't call for that, but then the recipe called for a 24-hour rest after mixing. So I'm pretty sure that was supposed to help saturate them. I added a little more flour but it was a complete guess. It's currently oozing over onto a catch pan under it in the oven. So I'll be mostly going for taste and such this time and disregarding moisture content and everything else.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My first attempt at that rugbrød will probably be a failure for being too wet. The I soaked the seeds/rye berries beforehand for a recipe that didn't call for that, but then the recipe called for a 24-hour rest after mixing. So I'm pretty sure that was supposed to help saturate them. I added a little more flour but it was a complete guess. It's currently oozing over onto a catch pan under it in the oven. So I'll be mostly going for taste and such this time and disregarding moisture content and everything else.

How much did you fill the pan? It should only be about 2/3 full, or it'll go everywhere.
I can find a good recipe and translate it for you if want, but everything'll be in grams and such.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Electric Hobo posted:

How much did you fill the pan? It should only be about 2/3 full, or it'll go everywhere.
I can find a good recipe and translate it for you if want, but everything'll be in grams and such.

I went all the way. The recipe I had posted wanted me to dump it all in:
https://www.daringgourmet.com/easy-danish-rye-bread-rugbrod/

...but I could have made two loaves with that even without the extra moisture.

My wife considers it to be far too bitter but her mother-in-law would like it. I'm not sure how much of a fan I am either. Do you have a tried-and-true recipe?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Electric Hobo posted:

I would be interested in this!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I would be interested in this!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I went all the way. The recipe I had posted wanted me to dump it all in:
https://www.daringgourmet.com/easy-danish-rye-bread-rugbrod/

...but I could have made two loaves with that even without the extra moisture.

My wife considers it to be far too bitter but her mother-in-law would like it. I'm not sure how much of a fan I am either. Do you have a tried-and-true recipe?
I didn't notice that when I looked at it, I just skimmed over the actual recipe :(

Here's a basic recipe that I translated from https://nogetiovnen.dk/hurtige-rugbrod-uden-surdej-med-sesam-og-graeskarkernedrys/ It's highly rated by a lot of people. This one doesn't use sourdough, but I can find one that does if either of you want. Sourdough is more traditional for this, and it does make a better bread.

You can add in rye berries and seeds by soaking them for 24 hours, but you might need more flour if you do. You can't really overwork it, so just follow the recipe, add the seeds, then more flour if the consistency changes too much.
You can also play around with substituting in some beer instead of some of the water, and you can use other sour milk products instead of buttermilk. And you can throw in some honey or molasses for sweetness.
I find flax seeds to be very bitter, so maybe cut back on those if you don't like that.

3 dl. warm water
7 dl. buttermilk
700g rye flour
300g flour
25g melted butter or other fat
50g yeast (this is the living kind that comes in a block. Something like 12-15g active dry yeast.)
15g salt

Mix water and buttermilk, make sure it's still warm. Mix in the yeast, then the salt, then the fat.
Mix in all the rye flour, then the flour little by little, until you have something like a very thick porridge.
Cover it, and leave for 30 minutes, then squish it into a pan or two. Don't fill the pans more than half- to 2/3 of the way.
Brush with water, and sprinkle with whatever you like, or nothing at all.
Cover the pans and leave for 30 minutes.
Bake for 50 minutes at 175 degrees Celsius. Put a pan with water in the bottom of the oven.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My kitten obliterated my first response without undo working somehow so this is going to be a tad lazier.

1. Do you have a notion for the amount of seeds to use?
2. Having played with this some, it's starting to look something like a fruitcake--a seedcake, if you will. My wife thought it was too bitter so now I'm starting to wonder if I could just throw in the classic dried fruits and make her happy. She things she would have taken the slivered almonds too instead of the flax seeds.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Go to the yospos cat thread and post your kitten.

I'd say that you can throw in 3 or 4 handfuls of seeds and other extras no problem for this amount of dough. You can probably use more if you want to, there are recipes out there that has a ton of seeds in them. I like the plain bread, so I rarely add anything, so I'm not really sure.

I've had rugbrød with dates, cranberries, and walnuts. It's pretty good, so if that makes it more palateable to you, go for it. I wouldn't use dried citrus and stuff like that, I think it would make a confusing bread.
I'd stick to one kind of fruit/nut to use, but that's could be because I've been eating this stuff all my life, so I can't handle when it's suddenly sweet and fruity.

By the way, you can use your leftovers to make øllebrød, which is a thin porridge made out of rugbrød and beer. It's... an experience.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Made bread for a Friendsgiving!

Somehow my starter became super active in the three months I didn’t touch it sitting in the fridge

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

So a half box of bandaids later, I realized that you meant I should grate freshish bread and then dry the crumbs out, not try to grate the weeks-old desiccated loaf ends.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

betaraywil posted:

So a half box of bandaids later, I realized that you meant I should grate freshish bread and then dry the crumbs out, not try to grate the weeks-old desiccated loaf ends.

It's a great arm workout the way you did it, though!

I do like one of these when I am doing grating or mandolin work:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPMMPDW/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_bSg1Db50AESD8

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Oh you mean that thing I totally own one of and dutifully use every time I use the mandolin :bang:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I came across this video a while ago and really wanted to make it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6HGb6B1N_0

I made one for an early thanksgiving get together today:

I followed his recipe and procedure exactly, subbing vanilla bean paste for vanilla extract + vanilla powder, and I ended up adding a little bit of cardamom to the white chocolate cream stuff, it just felt like it needed a little something.

It took 14 apples and it was very good!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Was it much trouble?

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I've been tasked with making some cornbread for family Thanksgiving, but i was thinking i'd try something with a bit of kick to it. Anyone have a good recipe for a spicy cornbread?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’m not sure if it’s available outside the UK but the excellent BBC Radio 4 the Food Programme did a very good episode on Nordic bread making. Fascinating.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00066t7

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Argona posted:

I've been tasked with making some cornbread for family Thanksgiving, but i was thinking i'd try something with a bit of kick to it. Anyone have a good recipe for a spicy cornbread?

My grandpa's method was to add a bunch of pickled jalapenos to the mix before baking in well greased and hot cast iron pan. He'd add cheese sometimes as well. It's very good.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

hakimashou posted:

I came across this video a while ago and really wanted to make it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6HGb6B1N_0

I made one for an early thanksgiving get together today:

I followed his recipe and procedure exactly, subbing vanilla bean paste for vanilla extract + vanilla powder, and I ended up adding a little bit of cardamom to the white chocolate cream stuff, it just felt like it needed a little something.

It took 14 apples and it was very good!

That's amazing!

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I've gotten enough milage out of preferments that I've never really felt the need to maintain a starter, but given that I'm moving from the Bay Area next year I figured I should try to get some Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis experience.

The starter seems to be active; it has that delightful "sour porridge" smell and there're bubbles both on the surface and along the sides of the glass container, so it's got stuff going on, but I wonder if there's a way to tell if it's insufficiently, uh, potent, in order to bake with?

Both times that I've tried to make a pure levain bread (once from the Tartine book and another pure levain from FWSY), the bread has completely failed to rise in the oven. Both times while baking it's smelled less "toasty flour" in my apartment and more oily, as if I'm making focaccia, if that makes sense. Cutting through what's come out, there's not really much of a crumb structure but huge holes, which make me wonder if the internal structure's collapsed.

At first I thought this was due to the high hydration, but I'm looking at the other recipes in FWSY that typically turn out fine and there isn't that great of a hydration difference (the pain de campaigne is 78% vs the 82% one that failed, but the former of course has a hit of commercial yeast in it), so that made me wonder about whether my starter is just too meek. Any advice, folks?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

As a preemptive thanks for advice on ^^, here's a breadpic for the thread. This was from earlier this summer, I think it was one of the recipes out of the Tassajara bread book.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How's the first ferment going? You won't get double like industrial yeast. Sounds like you're overproofing. You want to see some pockets of air on the surface and some slope/concave like a road.

/E I found much more success feeding my starter with a lot less starter then advertised in the books. I'll keep like 10 grams and feed for a total weight of 110.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Have you tried floating a piece of your starter? It's a good indicator of whether it's active enough to bake with.

Is the dough holding its shape when you transfer it to the proofing basket, or is it soupy?
Is your proofing stage too long? Is your kitchen warmer than 70/73 F? Maybe try cutting short your final proofing.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

How's the first ferment going? You won't get double like industrial yeast. Sounds like you're overproofing. You want to see some pockets of air on the surface and some slope/concave like a road.
Good question. I've wondered about overproofing, too - the overnight country blonde in FWSY calls for an overnight bulk fermentation at room temperature, which seemed bananas to me, so maybe that should be adjusted?

Power Walrus posted:

Have you tried floating a piece of your starter? It's a good indicator of whether it's active enough to bake with.
Just tried it with about a tablespoon's worth of starter, and it sank like a stone :sigh:

Power Walrus posted:

Is the dough holding its shape when you transfer it to the proofing basket, or is it soupy?
Is your proofing stage too long? Is your kitchen warmer than 70/73 F? Maybe try cutting short your final proofing.
It feels a bit goopy but not unfirm, if that makes sense. I wouldn't call it overly taut, but not really any different from the yeasted breads I was doing before.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Are you proofing it overnight in the fridge?

Proof it doing your folds or whatever shape it put it in the basket and stick in the fridge forget about it until the next day. Get your oven hot pull you loaf out and score it and straight into the oven.

Also adding a little yeast to a sourdough isn't the end of the world if it helps you make bread you want to eat instead of dense bricks.

Everywhere I've worked where I've used starters have always added a little yeast to get things moving.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 27, 2019

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

Are you proofing it overnight in the fridge?

That's the thing, the recipe (pp 170-1, in the Forkish) called for proofing at room temperature (4 hours) but also bulk fermentation at room temperature (7-9 hours), which seemed like an awful lot to my untrained eye and so the question about overproofing could well be worth pursuing...

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dijkstracula posted:

Just tried it with about a tablespoon's worth of starter, and it sank like a stone :sigh:

I think that's probably your issue, right there. How mature is your starter? It may need a few more feeding cycles to build up its strength. Also, you feed the starter about 8-12 hours before mixing, so that you introduce it to your dough at its most energetic state.

A glop of your starter after about 8 hours should float pretty quickly in a bowl of water.

Power Walrus fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 27, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Pretty happy with this sourdough

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I made croissants, though I had trouble with getting them thin enough on the last roll-out and so they kinda look like 💩 emojis when I rolled them up. They taste so much better than store bought that it's almost worth the hassle to make again. Almost.

Used the Weekend Bakery 3 Day French Croissant recipe.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

The starter seems to be active; it has that delightful "sour porridge" smell and there're bubbles both on the surface and along the sides of the glass container, so it's got stuff going on, but I wonder if there's a way to tell if it's insufficiently, uh, potent, in order to bake with?

How long/old is your starter?

Mine was about three weeks old with feedings at least 3 or 4 days a week before I actually started to see a rise in it. I would see bubbles in the starter every day but I never really saw it double in size. I was about to give up on it and I just pulled it out of the fridge and fed it a few more days in a row and then one day it just started almost overflowing the jar I use with lift/rise.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Rye bread talk early got me going. Went with rye/spelt version from the perfect loaf. Only had dark rye and tried sifting it but might not have a fine enough mesh as it didn't remove much. It's good and dense though.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Power Walrus posted:

Also, you feed the starter about 8-12 hours before mixing, so that you introduce it to your dough at its most energetic state.

A glop of your starter after about 8 hours should float pretty quickly in a bowl of water.
Yeah, so each of the recipes I've tried has a feeding stage before autolysing/mixing, so that should be okay.

Question, though: I'm keeping it in the fridge and so it's relatively dormant; should there be a pre-feeding feeding, or some additional stage? I'm at least bringing it up to room temperature first...

beerinator posted:

How long/old is your starter?

Mine was about three weeks old with feedings at least 3 or 4 days a week before I actually started to see a rise in it. I would see bubbles in the starter every day but I never really saw it double in size. I was about to give up on it and I just pulled it out of the fridge and fed it a few more days in a row and then one day it just started almost overflowing the jar I use with lift/rise.
Hm, yeah, it is reasonably young. I started it about a month ago with weekly-ish feedings after getting it going (it's living in the fridge the rest of the time).

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 29, 2019

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Dijkstracula posted:

Yeah, so each of the recipes I've tried has a feeding stage before autolysing/mixing, so that should be okay.

Question, though: I'm keeping it in the fridge and so it's relatively dormant; should there be a pre-feeding feeding, or some additional stage? I'm at least bringing it up to room temperature first...
Hm, yeah, it is reasonably young. I started it about a month ago with weekly-ish feedings after getting it going (it's living in the fridge the rest of the time).

Yeah try bringing it out of the fridge and feeding it for a couple of days before you need to use it.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
The fridge slows down the yeast activity significantly. It will not be vigorous and healthy with just one 8-hour feeding out of the fridge. Bring it out and feed it every 24 hours for a day or two before you do the pre-autolyse feeding. That should make it quite happy.

I tried making Danish Rye from Magnus Nilsson’s Nordic Baking Book. Five days of fermenting ended in disappointment... I baked it at 300 for 3 hours like instructed, and let the loaves set for 24 hours afterwards. The crumb was soggy and under baked :smith:
I would like to try again, google says to look for 200+ F internal temp, and I guess I can try baking 4 hours, or leaving it in the cooling oven for a while. Any tips on how I can make my rye lovely, dark and fully baked like a few posts above?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

Sounds similar to my situation. I would say (based on my limited experience) just keep it at room temp for as many days as you are home and can feed it once a day. If you have to put it in the fridge because you can't feed it the next day then that's fine as long as it keeps making bubbles.

Everything I've read online says that until it starts doubling in size, your starter simply hasn't been fed enough. And you just have to keep going.

If it isn't rising and it isn't making bubbles at all, then something is probably wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

biggfoo posted:

Rye bread talk early got me going. Went with rye/spelt version from the perfect loaf. Only had dark rye and tried sifting it but might not have a fine enough mesh as it didn't remove much. It's good and dense though.

Just out of curiosity--how bitter did it come off to you?