Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I literally said I hope it's fun to play, I just think it looks bad. I'm trying to avoid leaks the best I can which is why I don't post in this thread, but the few things I have seen have all been pretty bad.

That foggy pop in gif from a page or two back, I've seen landscapes that just looked like a smeared texture, the infamous n64 trees still being around, water that looks like oil and some of the battle backgrounds just being A Void. It looks low quality, especially coming hot off the heels of LM3, and a ton of other games like Xenoblade 2 on the system.

Xenoblade 2 has a whole of graphic issues too. It was rushed the hell out and while it looks good in some ways you can find tons of places that look just awful. LM3 did look fantastic though but it's also a very small self-contained game. (It rocks, don't get me wrong, but it's not the same thing.) Like I said, none of that is great, but it's also not really very different from most of its competition. JRPGs with absolutely cartoonish budgets exist only in Square-Enix's very screwed up playbox these days.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Isnt this worse???

I guess I'm completely dulled to "game developers talk up a lot of nonsense" stuff by this point because I generally taken it as given that when they promise Unheard Of Reactivity and The Most Realistic Graphics Ever or whatever it's probably bullshit. I genuinely can't think of a developer who made huge giant promises and lived up to them. Maybe BotW? BotW was pretty freaking amazing especially considering it also had to run (very very poorly) on the Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Just lmao that people earlier were saying Three Houses was how to do a console change right when it appears just as rushed as Pokémon and they did actually hire a whole other company to help do the work.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well the let's go models were identical to the 3ds ones only uprezzed as far as I know which points to them being taken from the same master doesnt it? I dont think that was a lie.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Elfgames posted:

it's pokemon bank, maybe some amie stuff but i wouldn't count on it

"Don't worry about us releasing USUM for the 3DS, a new Switch pokemon is on the way!" -> "Don't worry about LGPE, a new pokemon for hardcore fans is on the way!" -> "Don't worry about SwSh, Pokemon Home is on the way and it's everything you could ever imagine it to be."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Isnt this worse???

Agreed. That's not really a proper defense at all, and makes no sense to put that much extra work in the models if they were planning on throwing all that work away just like that.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well the let's go models were identical to the 3ds ones only uprezzed as far as I know which points to them being taken from the same master doesnt it? I dont think that was a lie.

And you are correct. It wasn't a lie because those models did get reused in later games and later spinoffs. Pokken and Super Mystery Dungeon reused the models. Let's Go's models are identical to the 3DS models, only with updated textures. And SwSh's models are very likely to be the same case as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Just lmao that people earlier were saying Three Houses was how to do a console change right when it appears just as rushed as Pokémon and they did actually hire a whole other company to help do the work.

Also maybe people don't remember but when TTH was in production and even when the early streams and stuff were happening, people talked about how ugly it was. You can go back through the thread and find people complaining about how the models barely emoted and the environments sucked and the combat animations were simple (usually comparisons to the GBA games) and so-on. It was only once people really turned out to like the game that that part got dropped. (and honestly while I adore TTH if you look at screenshots it's not a great looking game.)

Araxxor posted:

Agreed. That's not really a proper defense at all, and makes no sense to put that much extra work in the models if they were planning on throwing all that work away just like that.

It's also not true because those models did get reused in later games and later spinoffs.

So what exactly do you think here? That GameFreak are just meano jerks who want to kill your Pokemon? If it was "oh well let's just slot them in, it takes no work" then why do you think they didn't?

Like which is more likely: Gamefreak (like almost every Japanese developer) massively underestimated the requirements for HD gaming and found themselves screwed, or that Gamefreak just hates its fans and wanted to upset them for no reason?

Edit: I mean there's choice 3: They are going to bring them back in Pokemon Gun so it has a bigger selling point and it's pure cold greed/

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 12, 2019

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Losing a ton of content for literally nothing in return.

I'm not picking on you specifically, but this seems to be a lot of people's sentiments about the game, and it just is...:psyduck:

Like, do you really not like Toxtricity? Sirfetch'd? Hatterene?

That's to say nothing of the cool designs for the human characters, the great music, the QoL improvements to breeding...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Isn't this horse loving atoms by this point? Good gods

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

iospace posted:

yeah its wild that people keep trying to argue about it

is "it" the dexit changes? that people are upset at the people who are upset? some third thing? i empower you, the reader, to decide

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ImpAtom posted:

So what exactly do you think here? That GameFreak are just meano jerks who want to kill your Pokemon? If it was "oh well let's just slot them in, it takes no work" then why do you think they didn't?

Like which is more likely: Gamefreak (like almost every Japanese developer) massively underestimated the requirements for HD gaming and found themselves screwed, or that Gamefreak just hates its fans and wanted to upset them for no reason?

Eh? I have no idea about the very specific reasons why they decided to cut the mons. All I was disputing was the point where they lied about the future proofing because they really did reuse those models since XY.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nanigans posted:

I'm not picking on you specifically, but this seems to be a lot of people's sentiments about the game, and it just is...:psyduck:

Like, do you really not like Toxtricity? Sirfetch'd? Hatterene?

That's to say nothing of the cool designs for the human characters, the great music, the QoL improvements to breeding...

It's mostly in regards to the apparent lack of post game and the massive amount of mons getting cut. For a casual player like me who's not SUPER invested in competitive stuff and enjoys the catching aspect that's a lot less for me to do.

I'm not saying the new mons are terrible- in fact they're the only things keeping me interested right now. It's just like, I'm trading in 500 for however many new ones are here and that feels kinda bad. That's it :v: (Also I have no idea what a Toxtricity or Hatterene is for what that's worth)

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Neither: they were lazy and cut corners at every opportunity to make the most profit with the least effort possible, like every other business on Earth. Turning them into cartoon villains is unnecessary.

They own the biggest and most profitable IP in the history of the human race, by the way.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wait are some people interpreting the foggy gif as not being a fog weather effect and instead a graphical shortcoming. i'm genuinely losing track here. cuz like the pokemon pop-in is one thing but that's def a weather effect

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Animated gif of Intelleon's signature move:

https://inkonic1.tumblr.com/post/188977501473/nice#notes

It looks very nice I gotta say.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Cohort posted:

Neither: they were lazy and cut corners at every opportunity to make the most profit with the least effort possible, like every other business on Earth. Turning them into cartoon villains is unnecessary.

They own the biggest and most profitable IP in the history of the human race, by the way.

So just to be clear: "They were lazy, so rather than just shoving in all the content they already have made, they instead made a whole bunch of new Pokemon and a bunch of new gimmicks" because that takes... less work?"

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

iospace posted:

it is, and by god we will keep beating those atoms until they stop twitching

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Guy playing the leaked game, boy he does not like it.

https://youtu.be/VUr2f1lV2ag

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Flopsy posted:

Please help, my resolve to pick grookey is weakening

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Happy Landfill posted:

The closer we get to release day the more excited I am about the new clothing options. The glimpses I've seen in the trailers seem pretty promising :kimchi: I'm also real excited about the possibility of maybe getting the default trainer outfits in Go? Default girl outfit is too cute man

This is where my priorities are apparently

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Leak talk, but do boys have more than 5 shirts to choose from or do girls get like 50 different options?

I wound up playing as a girl in Ultra Moon because the clothing options for guys were just different takes of boring white bread.

I suppose I'm going to have to pick boy or girl and a name before picking a starter. Is there a clear winner this version? Some of the past trainer options have been stupid and bad. I haven't played one of the versions where you can play dress up.

At least both trainer versions seem unobjectionable.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Johnny Joestar posted:

wait are some people interpreting the foggy gif as not being a fog weather effect and instead a graphical shortcoming. i'm genuinely losing track here. cuz like the pokemon pop-in is one thing but that's def a weather effect

I saw a handful of people saying it was n64 tier fog to hide draw distances and with some of the other gifs I've seen floating around on twitter I believed it :sweatdrop:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

JOIN US OCTOPUS THE CHOICE IS SOBVIOUS

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

ImpAtom posted:

(very very poorly) on the Wii U.

Wrong

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

https://clips.twitch.tv/BoringYummyUdonStinkyCheese lmfao

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cant wait for super sword and shield next year to add 50 more pokemon per version and that being the only new content. :cheerdoge:

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Oh wow this is a ton of posts I wonder wha-
Mother of god.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

So what exactly do you think here? That GameFreak are just meano jerks who want to kill your Pokemon?

*imagines GF employee with one hand on the purge valve and an eye on the clock, just waiting for the exact instant it ticks over to 365 days since subscription to send all my pokeymans out the airlock and save on precious virtual food and water*

But yeah, I kinda get what you're saying irt Three Houses. Now that I think about it there's a lot of pop-in in the monastery and it takes a hilariously long time to load the cathedral if you walk there. You kind of get to ignore things like that when you're playing, it's just stuff like those trees(in Sw&Sh) really stand out.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

1500 posted:

his main complaint seems to be about the exp share making things comically easy, aka - what everyone complained it was going to do, no matter how much GF claimed it was balanced right, with exp candies being even more of an easy mode (obviously)

XY difficulty again here we go :woop:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

EDIT^ yeah that sucks, my plan is to create two teams of 6 and rotate them out. Hopefully we get breeder access early, wanna pimp out Sobble and trade it’s baby for a Scorbunny early for B team.

1500 posted:

Dry your tears Sobble Squad, Intellion owns as much as I thought it would. It has a great design, it just suffers from that same borderline T-pose syndrome a lot of models do.

Look at how lovely Typhlosion looks in 3D compared to some of his earlier, more dynamic sprites (or when he is attacking/running/in motion). Some designs just work better either animated or in a pose that suggests movement.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

There’s also the fact that in Three Houses the backgrounds for support scenes are 2D textures on a bizarre wrap around object. And no one can actually sit, even in support where they’re supposed to be sitting.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Nanigans posted:

By the way, Toxtricity has a move called Overdrive where it literally pulls out a guitar or bass guitar to blast sound at their opponents. :allears:

This is extremely good news. In the eventuality that they eventually release a final version with all mons in, my team so far is gonna be Rillaboom, Toxtricity, Obstagoon, Chatot, Loudred

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

extra row of teeth posted:

Dry your tears Sobble Squad, Intellion owns as much as I thought it would. It has a great design, it just suffers from that same borderline T-pose syndrome a lot of models do.

Look at how lovely Typhlosion looks in 3D compared to some of his earlier, more dynamic sprites (or when he is attacking/running/in motion). Some designs just work better either animated or in a pose that suggests movement.

I'll have you know I never lost faith in my boy even ONCE

TOMMY PROVOLONE
Jul 30, 2014

I am the sun. The moon.

Blaziken386 posted:

his main complaint seems to be about the exp share making things comically easy, aka - what everyone complained it was going to do, no matter how much GF claimed it was balanced right, with exp candies being even more of an easy mode (obviously)

XY difficulty again here we go :woop:

I really enjoyed playing Y so this sounds good to me.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Flopsy posted:

I don't know what this is, but it isn't a finger gun.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

So just to be clear: "They were lazy, so rather than just shoving in all the content they already have made, they instead made a whole bunch of new Pokemon and a bunch of new gimmicks" because that takes... less work?"

What new gimmicks? The stunning and innovating feature of 100 varieties of curry? Watching your Pokemon run around in 3D, like Sun/Moon had? Player clothing, like Sun/Moon also had? Dynamaxing, which is not-Mega Evolutions except the Pokemon is just upscaled unless you're one of the 15 chosen 'mons? Raid battles are the only new gimmick of any innovation or impact, and even they are borrowed heavily from Pokemon GO and ultimately don't do anything except let you catch a few unique Pokemon.

Yes, they included new Pokemon because a new region and a new mainline game absolutely requires new Pokemon to sell. That's the draw to children, the games' primary audience. This was the minimum effort required (this generation only has 81 new Pokemon, less than any previous gen).

They removed almost two-thirds of the Pokedex because they knew their primary audience (children) would buy the game anyway, because it's a new game on the new console with new Pokemon, and it would save them a lot of time and money in production costs. They knew it would anger older fans of the series, and they don't care. This game is still going to make record-breaking profits regardless. They have absolutely no incentive to put in more effort than is necessary when they know they'll rake in cash anyway. :capitalism:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

There’s also the fact that in Three Houses the backgrounds for support scenes are 2D textures on a bizarre wrap around object. And no one can actually sit, even in support where they’re supposed to be sitting.

It kind of assumes you're using your imagination to fill in the blanks. It's a fine trade for all the content you get.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ROFL Octopus posted:

Look at it take down a gym (spoilers for a fairly late gym)
https://streamable.com/u8uqy

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

For_Great_Justice posted:

Oh wow this is a ton of posts I wonder wha-
Mother of god.

Welcome to the sea of vitriol and negativity

I am wondering if some competitive tiers are going to keep gen 7 around for the more diverse Pokemon list.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

extra row of teeth posted:

There isn’t enough hype in this thread for Obstagoon. Great design, potentially good in battle, it even has goon in the name. Come on, guys! Show some love for the KISS Badger.

Just... uh, not too much love. If you google “Obstagoon fanart” the furries have gotten their claws on him already.

Oh he is definitely replacing Conkeldurr on my team as the Guts abuser. He has decent speed, decent attack and decent bulk that can probably make great use of Assault Vest. All that I need is for Megas to return cause said team used Mega Slowbro :suicide:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

THE loving MOON posted:

It kind of assumes you're using your imagination to fill in the blanks. It's a fine trade for all the content you get.
yeah I forgave a lot of the graphical stuff because the characters were all good and there's shitloads of custom dialogue. there's also so many quality of life changes that I tried to go back and play some of the older games but I can't because not having time reverse or clear enemy targeting lines just makes classic difficulty obnoxious

e: although apparently even with the simplistic graphics, according to the streamer, SwSh lags terribly in snow or w/e, :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Cohort posted:

What new gimmicks? The stunning and innovating feature of 100 varieties of curry? Watching your Pokemon run around in 3D, like Sun/Moon had? Player clothing, like Sun/Moon also had? Dynamaxing, which is not-Mega Evolutions except the Pokemon is just upscaled unless you're one of the 15 chosen 'mons? Raid battles are the only new gimmick of any innovation or impact, and even they are borrowed heavily from Pokemon GO and ultimately don't do anything except let you catch a few unique Pokemon.

Yes. Those gimmicks. Being dismissive of them doesn't mean they don't exist.

King Cohort posted:

This was the minimum effort required (this generation only has 81 new Pokemon, less than any previous gen).

Uh, looking at it:

Gen 6 had 72
Gen 7 had 81

Also looking it up I'm seeing that so far 94 new Pokemon are confirmed for Gen 8?