Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Rogue trader is now up as a humble bundle following the recent dark heresy one :getin:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...gn=tile_index_3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So I guess that Eldar campaign is shelved for the moment? Thats the only thing I really wanted!

Isn't Psychic awakening involving the Eldar.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Isn't Psychic awakening involving the Eldar.

Eldar got one model out of it and everything else released was more Marine poo poo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chin up everything sucks posted:

Eldar got one model out of it and everything else released was more Marine poo poo.

Psychic Awakening is ongoing and the Marines have not got anything from it yet. It's been pure Eldar Focus right now. (Also they got 4 new models out of it so far from my count.)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Psychic Awakening is supposed to provide something to every faction, whether that's rules or models (or both, as in the case of the Eldar). In terms of lore, it serves to fill in the SCENE MISSING portion between the end of 7th Edition (Cadia falls, Rift opens, Ynnead and Guilliman come out to play) and the "now" of 8th (just post-Indomitus Crusade). It sounds like C7 probably got the advance notice about Psychic Awakening and that ended up pushing everything back a little as they try to work that in as best they can.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

WELL AKSHALEE

The Eldar got Jain Zahn and plastic Banshees while BSDM Eldar got some rear end in a top hat and plastic Incubi.

The next part may involve Marines, tho.

Personally, I hate it that Psy Awakening isn't like one fuckhuge book shaking up the setting. Instead, it's like Vigilus or Gathering Storm - three books means you can sell thrice as many books.

SELL BOOKS

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
All I gotta say, is that I will never loving forget FFG for putting out Dark Eldar campaigns before orks

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Solemn Sloth posted:

Rogue trader is now up as a humble bundle following the recent dark heresy one :getin:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...gn=tile_index_3

Are these the old FFG rogue trader books, or have cubicle 7 redone all of them?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

tarbrush posted:

Are these the old FFG rogue trader books, or have cubicle 7 redone all of them?

They are the FFG books.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Ta. Worth a buck for the ones I didn't have.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JcDent posted:

WELL AKSHALEE

The Eldar got Jain Zahn and plastic Banshees while BSDM Eldar got some rear end in a top hat and plastic Incubi.

The next part may involve Marines, tho.

Personally, I hate it that Psy Awakening isn't like one fuckhuge book shaking up the setting. Instead, it's like Vigilus or Gathering Storm - three books means you can sell thrice as many books.

SELL BOOKS

The next one is rumored to be Black Templars, who have no psychics as a rule, and need a rules reboot.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sisters are also indicated in the promo for the next book, who are getting a rules reboot (but also have no psykers.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

Sisters are also indicated in the promo for the next book, who are getting a rules reboot (but also have no psykers.)

Although they did have a comic series about a character named Ephrael Stern who got... weird when it came to the Warp. I wouldn't be shocked if she was another special character in the new codex or similar.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Although they did have a comic series about a character named Ephrael Stern who got... weird when it came to the Warp. I wouldn't be shocked if she was another special character in the new codex or similar.

She actually made a cameo in the Eldar book for Psychic Awakening so you’re already a little right. Given that the next book involves Sisters I think we’re likely to see her pop up there too.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

moths posted:

OTOH Sisters do have their Faith powers, which let's face it are basically psyker powers with an "Emprah Approved" stamp on them.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

That comic is ancient and the newest rumour says Primaris Mephiston, but not Primaris Templars.

Anyways, the slow drip sucks.

Also, Gathering Storm basically confirmed that Living Saints are daemons, but with limited respawns, because we can't have nice things.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Warthur posted:

OTOH Sisters do have their Faith powers, which let's face it are basically psyker powers with an "Emprah Approved" stamp on them.

There is a slight difference between Psykers and Sorcerers, where Psykers directly channel the warp and Sorcerers channel through an entity who channels the warp. That's why a Chaos Sorcerer is so much more dangerous than a Chaos Psyker - the channeled warp entities are MUCH better at manipulating the warp than a psyker is. The downside of a Sorcerer is that they can't be as spontaneous, since they need to do something that draws their entities attention and lets it know what they want to do, which is why they do all sorts of interesting and complicated rituals.

Most sorcerers are usually also psykers, but the SoB are an example of people who are non-psyker sorcerers who channel saints. Unfortunately 40k writers also tend to lump psykers and sorcerers together, because the prime example are chaos sorcerers.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Still waiting on Crucible 7 re-release the Wrath and Glory book in the hopes that isn't so terrible.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Are there any examples in the FFG books of psychic powers along the lines of Varan, the bad guy from Cain's Last Stand? He has the ability to mentally sway people to his cause by the sound of his voice. I'm looking for something similar that either boosts the psyker's own charisma or subtly nudges people on a large scale.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

PantsOptional posted:

Are there any examples in the FFG books of psychic powers along the lines of Varan, the bad guy from Cain's Last Stand? He has the ability to mentally sway people to his cause by the sound of his voice. I'm looking for something similar that either boosts the psyker's own charisma or subtly nudges people on a large scale.

Delude, it's in like all of them.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Unnatural Fellowship as well. Depending on system it's a +4 to or double of your charisma bonus. That and some talents can lead to having 80 people at your disposal straight out of character creation with no overt psychic powers being used.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Relevant Tangent posted:

Unnatural Fellowship as well. Depending on system it's a +4 to or double of your charisma bonus. That and some talents can lead to having 80 people at your disposal straight out of character creation with no overt psychic powers being used.

To take things even further: you can, if you're playing Black Crusade and allowing Advanced archetypes, start the game with a Dark Apostle who has 70 fellowship. With all your talents and abilities, you can affect 7000 people when public speaking.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

wiegieman posted:

To take things even further: you can, if you're playing Black Crusade and allowing Advanced archetypes, start the game with a Dark Apostle who has 70 fellowship. With all your talents and abilities, you can affect 7000 people when public speaking.

Finally, debates actually work, but you need to sell your soul to the devil(s) to do it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Thanks, everyone. I did a little more looking into it and I think something more akin to Unnatural Fellowship might do the trick - a passive trait that gives a mechanical buff, and with some narrative effects doing most of the work.

The story here is that I want to show an Ork World where things have gone more than a little nonstandard. The last Ork invasion/occupation got wiped out except for the Grotz, who hid underground. Due to dumb shenanigans one of the Grots got exposed to the Warp and developed a subconscious psychic "push" that makes Orks/Grotz fall into line and even causes non-Orks to buckle a little. The next thing you know, the Ork population surged again as the spores grew into real Boyz, and this Grot suddenly finds himself in charge of a weird reversed society where the Grotz are suddenly the ruling class.

I was going to have this manifest as some sort of "soft social" push that the Grot Leader could make psychically, more akin to making people like him and want to make him happy rather than shoot him or use him as ammunition, but this is for W&G and as it turns out the game is very specific that social interaction rules are really only for PCs to use on NPCs. The way that I worked it out is that he provides a passive bonus to morale checks for Orks near him, and he provides a penalty to any attempts to use Social skills against him or to sway Orks against him. He'll also have the Compel psychic power which he can use to focus his ability, but I'm thinking that whenever he uses that it drops the other benefits until his next turn. He'll also be fairly easy to find via Psyniscience as he's subconsciously constantly pumping out low-level waves of psychic power.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

There is a slight difference between Psykers and Sorcerers, where Psykers directly channel the warp and Sorcerers channel through an entity who channels the warp. That's why a Chaos Sorcerer is so much more dangerous than a Chaos Psyker - the channeled warp entities are MUCH better at manipulating the warp than a psyker is. The downside of a Sorcerer is that they can't be as spontaneous, since they need to do something that draws their entities attention and lets it know what they want to do, which is why they do all sorts of interesting and complicated rituals.

Most sorcerers are usually also psykers, but the SoB are an example of people who are non-psyker sorcerers who channel saints. Unfortunately 40k writers also tend to lump psykers and sorcerers together, because the prime example are chaos sorcerers.

Holy poo poo, this is actually helpful. I've never understood what a "sorcerer" is in 40k, and always just assumed - due to its association with Chaos - that it meant "psyker who uses his powers in heretical ways".

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Holy poo poo, this is actually helpful. I've never understood what a "sorcerer" is in 40k, and always just assumed - due to its association with Chaos - that it meant "psyker who uses his powers in heretical ways".

Thing is, that's not necessarily a bad reading of the source material either.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Thing is, that's not necessarily a bad reading of the source material either.

Like much of 40k, it depends on who wrote a particular bit of fluff. Eisenhorn specifically makes mention that warp sorcery is inherently corrupting, and a lot of it that he does is through channeling power from his bound daemonhost. Other times you have tedious involved rituals involving sacrifices and prayers and odd arcane objects in order to get some kind of effect.

Then you have imperial psykers who have their own rituals and do all sorts of weird poo poo, but it seems to all be unique to each psyker. Cards, self-cutting, etc. Sometimes sorcerers have familiars, sometimes bound daemons, sometimes nothing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Then you have imperial psykers who have their own rituals and do all sorts of weird poo poo, but it seems to all be unique to each psyker. Cards, self-cutting, etc. Sometimes sorcerers have familiars, sometimes bound daemons, sometimes nothing.

Yeah. I don't think Ravenor or his team psyker Patience do much to use their powers aside from, well, use them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Be aware that calling Sisters 'a type of sorceror' will get you set on fire.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

Be aware that calling Sisters 'a type of sorceror' will get you set on fire.

And that is if you are lucky.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. I don't think Ravenor or his team psyker Patience do much to use their powers aside from, well, use them.

Like I said, depends on the author. Some fluff has astropaths having to interpret messages via playing a round of tarot, while other times it's just brain-to-brain communication that can carry video.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah the 30k Thousand Sons books really do a good job of illustrating it with their tutelaries that they use, which are literally warp daemons that amplify their psyker powers.

Of course they didn't know they were daemons, since the Emperor had to go and tell everyone that the warp creatures were just Xenos.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Werix posted:

Yeah the 30k Thousand Sons books really do a good job of illustrating it with their tutelaries that they use, which are literally warp daemons that amplify their psyker powers.

Of course they didn't know they were daemons, since the Emperor had to go and tell everyone that the warp creatures were just Xenos.

Yeah I recently read the Horus Heresy Thousand Sons novel and it really showed how utterly sucked in they were, how they truly believed they were doing no wrong, while also showing that difference between psyker and sorceror. Great book. I'm doing Prospero Burns now for the other side of things.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah I recently read the Horus Heresy Thousand Sons novel and it really showed how utterly sucked in they were, how they truly believed they were doing no wrong, while also showing that difference between psyker and sorceror. Great book. I'm doing Prospero Burns now for the other side of things.

Prospero Burns is good, but as would be expected, focuses less on the Thousand Sons. I would also recommend the Magnus book from the Primarchs series. Has a good story and you get a nice glimpse of the relationship between the Thousand Sons and Iron Warriors through the Primarchs and front line troops.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah Prospero Burns is solidly a Space Wolves book, totally different feel. I really like the decision to go for saga style poetic language. My buddy sent me a box full of 40k novels a while back so hopefully the Magnus one is in there.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah Prospero Burns is solidly a Space Wolves book, totally different feel. I really like the decision to go for saga style poetic language. My buddy sent me a box full of 40k novels a while back so hopefully the Magnus one is in there.

Humble Bundle has the audiobooks for a pile of Horus Heresy stories and the Garro sidestories. Looks like the Magnus book is a part of that.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Oops, wrong thread

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 23, 2019

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I will be hatin' on Graham McNeill. My chief criticism of him - and I'm getting tired of repeating this - is that he thinks "bigger number=more tragedy." His battle scenes are boring as all gently caress, as they're all structured this way:
Paragraph 1: Good guys do overkill, bad guys die like dogs.
Paragraph 2: Bad guys do overkill, good guys die like dogs.
Paragraph 3: Good guys do overkill...

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Tbf, that used to be part of the Rogue Trader ethos. The Emperors tears flowing freely in massive of battles, a million dying in the first second of a battle, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

A withering hail of bolter fire

I think it was McNeill who had marneus calgar punch someone so hard that snow fell off a mountain peak on the other side of a planet

An almost imperceptible nod

That last one has become a joke among my friends. We'll often lock eyes and try to give the tiniest nod possible