Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

im the antihero cool guys in the bottom corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The types of people who post stuff like that don’t care about religion either. Sentiments like those are just shibboleths meant to demonstrate belonging to the tribe of Chud

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jesus christ holds no sway in the united states of america

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Considering the context it's not even a war crime.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm almost certain that the flag was designed as a reaction to Confederate soldiers murdering surrendering black soldiers.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
22th Reg!

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

I’m assuming this is one of those ye olde timey things right?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Twentysecondthst've

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Richard Bong posted:

I’m assuming this is one of those ye olde timey things right?

I'm making some wild-rear end assumptions here, but I think what happened was that since there were so goddamned many regiments being formed for the Civil War, some enterprising person started making blank regimental flags and got lazy, printing "TH" on all of them since the majority of the flags would be going to regiments appropriately numbered.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
The 22nd's banner, as well as individualized banners for the 10 other US Colored Troops regiments mustered at Camp William Penn near Philadelphia, were made by David Bustill Bowser, a member of a prosperous and active black Philadelphia family. He was (primarily) a commercial painter. Bowser was also a businessman, philanthropist, abolitionist, recruiter, actively in civil rights of the day in PA and Philadelphia, a stop on the Underground Railroad, and painter of a portrait of John Brown from when Brown spent the night at the Bowser's. His wife was a seamstress, which worked well for their business.

There is at least one surviving USCT banner, from the 127th. That banner informs/verifies the bold colors on the replicas of the banner from the 22nd. There are contemporary (or at least within 25 years or so) pictures of a few of the regimental banners, including the 22rd, which is how the form of the replica was preserved. Several USCT banners were given to the West Point Museum for preservation in 1906, but were thrown out in 1940.

The "th" as a generic abbreviation for any ordinal number was apparently a thing in the mid to late 1600s. It may have been a printing/typesetting issue(?) rather than a spoken or written convention. In any event, 200 years later in 1863, 22nd would have been abbreviated the same way we do. Bowser also did the banner for the 3rd USCT Regiment, and abbreviated it 3RD So who knows why the 22th?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 12, 2019

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

joat mon posted:

Several USCT banners were given to the West Point Museum for preservation in 1906, but were thrown out in 1940.

Wtf? I guess they weren’t kept in archival conditions?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nystral posted:

Wtf? I guess they weren’t kept in archival conditions?

quote:

Richard Sauers wrote in his book, Advance the Colors! Pennsylvania Civil War Battle Flags that many of the USCT flags made their way from the State Mustering office in Philadelphia (where a flag was held for safe keeping) to the War Department for storage. In 1906 they were transferred to the Museum at West Point. Documented in this transfer are the flags of the 22nd, 25th, 32nd, 43rd and 127th USCT. By the start of WWII storage had become an issue, and the condition of some flags had become so poor that they were discarded. Sauers mentions that only one flag identified as a Pennsylvania USCT remained in the museum in 1940, but he does not state which one.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

EBB posted:

Considering the context it's not even a war crime.

He should have stopped resisting and obeyed lawful orders if he didn't want to get bayoneted.

:911:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCH0kw4HdNE

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I haven't played Death Stranding but this is hilarious. Particularly the part about the baby.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Is hotlinking still considered bad?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

McNally posted:

This isn't 2006, so I doubt it. They can do anti-leach if they want.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McNally posted:

Nah. Hasn't been for years.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Casimir Radon posted:

I haven't played Death Stranding but this is hilarious. Particularly the part about the baby.

its all true

especially the monster. your canteen replenishes itself with more monster energy from the environment

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

man remember every time you posted on SA thinking “wonder what this will get probated for” in case you forgot to capitalize or use a period lol

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

wild times

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
We've realized that it's what the message says, not how they're saying it that is the important thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

man remember every time you posted on SA thinking “wonder what this will get probated for” in case you forgot to capitalize or use a period lol

That poo poo was a ban when I first started posting. Things have changed quite a bit.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

That poo poo was a ban when I first started posting. Things have changed quite a bit.

ok boomer

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

EBB posted:

ok boomer

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

TO THE POSTER THAT DARES
TO DEBATE THIS WARM GALE
BEWARE OF FOUL WEATHER
TOWARD MADNESS, SET SAIL

Toshokan posted:

So that means that anyone who would use…a folding stock on an AK, piston AR, or any other gun…is a Nazi?

The worst part is that it's not even subtle criticism of fascism and theocracy.

The emperor literally created the empire through extinguishing superstition and irrational belief only to be worshiped as a god after he fell into his death torpor.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/Jim_Jordan/status/1194688847201878017

https://twitter.com/Jim_Jordan/status/1194718080460558341

This is....almost a level beyond galaxy brain

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's hilarious to think that SA had enough users and bandwidth was so narrow back then that it could literally destroy websites.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

the real deal? you mean legally elected?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Toshokan posted:

The emperor literally created the empire through extinguishing superstition and irrational belief only to be worshiped as a god after he fell into his death torpor.

The super ironic part is that the same process happened to wh40k itself - its original creators wrote the universe and the Imperium as an extreme send-up of both thatcherites and tankies (and a cool giant robots game of course) where everything was caricaturally angry ; violent ; extreme ; corrupt ; aesthetically Nazi and generally speaking an irredeemably awful system to live under for every last individual involved, living AND dead. Yet over time not only did parts of its public Not Get The Joke (although to be fair understanding political satire at 13 is something of a tall order), but a number of people who kept Not Getting The Joke into adulthood were hired by GW and started producing "earnest 40k" content.
And now it's gone on to become an actual idol & aesthetic of actual loving nazis. Poe's law is a bitch.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/allahliker/status/1195119732900409344

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
gently caress yes

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You laugh, but we're next.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Boomer I get, but Karen?

What?

Am I a giant cocktease that is too good for the wimpy gen z incels?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

ded posted:

Boomer I get, but Karen?

What?

Am I a giant cocktease that is too good for the wimpy gen z incels?

As in "wants to see the manager."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's weird, cuz ive always associated that with race more than...generations. sure it feels more likely with OLDER white people but ehhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

EBB posted:

You laugh, but we're next.

we deserve it