Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So there could be something way worse than the extortion attempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I'm not super educated on the relationship of the whistleblower to the call. Is it possible there's something REALLY heinous in that call they vaulted that the whistleblower didn't hear, or was he present the whole time?

The whistleblower was likely one of the many listeners in to the call. The whistleblower's testimony doesn't much matter now, as the whistleblower's testimony has been verified again and again by many other separate witnesses in the House since (as happens with anonymous 911 callers).

All that we know now is that the poo poo smear asked the President of Ukraine for smear on Biden in exchange for military help for Ukraine, which is enough.

Edit: Maybe the whistleblower wasn't in on the call. Either way, still had enough info to trigger further investigation.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 12, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The whistleblower literally doesn't matter in the slightest to the process. All his or her contribution was was to alert the authorities that "hey this call happened and seemed shady, someone should look into it."

Then before anybody could even open an investigation, Trump released the "transcript" which basically confirmed that yes there is a whole hell of a shitstorm that a ton of subpoena-able people know about.

The entire point of a whistleblower is to be an anonymous source who can raise a proverbial flag, rather like blowing some kind of whistle.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I feel like that would have come out in the closed-door transcripts.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Impeach Remove you miserable fucks

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

im looking for good charities to give to. i already donate to the ACLU, peace corps, and RAINN. what are some others?

Partners in Health (Charity Watch)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
At his age, a stiff breeze could be it, so I'm not saying you're wrong - but this is a fairly simple procedure, all things considered.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Maybe, but normally an extortion attempt would be enough. Enough anyway for "saner" minds in the administration to see the illegality of the call and feel the need to move a more detailed record of the call onto a more secure, more "hidden" server.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Slugworth posted:

At his age, a stiff breeze could be it, so I'm not saying you're wrong - but this is a fairly simple procedure, all things considered.

I'd be more concerned about why he is now falling such that he has what I assume are subdural bleeds. Undiagnosed stroke, etc.?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Closed-door transcripts have produced enough witness evidence to be damning enough. It might be nice to have an actual recording of the call; I'd guess there's not much more there there though. The poo poo smear tried to extort the leader of a foreign country for aid in smearing the poo poo smear's political opponent.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Data Graham posted:

The whistleblower literally doesn't matter in the slightest to the process. All his or her contribution was was to alert the authorities that "hey this call happened and seemed shady, someone should look into it."

Then before anybody could even open an investigation, Trump released the "transcript" which basically confirmed that yes there is a whole hell of a shitstorm that a ton of subpoena-able people know about.

The entire point of a whistleblower is to be an anonymous source who can raise a proverbial flag, rather like blowing some kind of whistle.

And then he goes and tweets it out, again, today !

I like to fantasize that no, they're holding onto the Tsar Bomba of drops .

(pun just worked it's way in there, but I'm serious.)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Lassitude posted:

I'd be more concerned about why he is now falling such that he has what I assume are subdural bleeds. Undiagnosed stroke, etc.?

Dude’s really old. At a certain point you become a fall risk just from aging.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Otteration posted:

Closed-door transcripts have produced enough witness evidence to be damning enough. It might be nice to have an actual recording of the call; I'd guess there's not much more there there though. The poo poo smear tried to extort the leader of a foreign country for aid in smearing the poo poo smear's political opponent.

I don't disagree. I just don't think there's anything worse than the extortion like the other goon was pondering because we'd have heard about it by now.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Otteration posted:

The whistleblower was likely one of the many listeners in to the call. The whistleblower's testimony doesn't much matter now, as the whistleblower's testimony has been verified again and again by many other separate witnesses in the House since (as happens with anonymous 911 callers).

All that we know now is that the poo poo smear asked the President of Ukraine for smear on Biden in exchange for military help for Ukraine, which is enough.

Edit: Maybe the whistleblower wasn't in on the call. Either way, still had enough info to trigger further investigation.

the whistleblower was the concerned citizen calling 911 saying they heard gunshots and see a body on the street. it just turns out there were a bunch of eyewitnesses who saw the shooting, start to finish, making that 911 call mostly redundant

with the broad caveats that (1) this isn't a trial where evidentiary rules apply and (2) even if it was, the whistleblowers hearsay testimony could easily still be admissible, i'd go a step farther and say the whistleblower's testimony doesn't matter at all because it would be less valuable than the firsthand confirmations of all the claims that we now have.

that's why you're hearing less right wing screaming about it being hearsay or secondhand - between these accounts and the various transcripts and admissions against interest confirming it from trump and mulvaney, there's no evidentiary issues at all.

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 12, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

I don't disagree. I just don't think there's anything worse than the extortion like the other goon was pondering because we'd have heard about it by now.

We'll see when the articles of impeachment get voted through. Obstruction will end up being a big deal, with gobs of obvious obstruction sub-charges related to the initial extortion. Yep, the actual phone call transcript/recording probably won't add too much extra, imo.

Edit: hoping though! :)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

eke out posted:

the whistleblower was the concerned citizen calling 911 saying they heard gunshots and see a body on the street. it just turns out there were a bunch of eyewitnesses who saw the shooting, start to finish, making that 911 call mostly redundant

with the broad caveats that (1) this isn't a trial where evidentiary rules apply and (2) even if it was, the whistleblowers hearsay testimony could easily still be admissible, i'd go a step farther and say the whistleblower's testimony doesn't matter at all because it would be less valuable than the firsthand confirmations of all the claims that we now have.

that's why you're hearing less right wing screaming about it being hearsay or secondhand - between these accounts and the various transcripts and admissions against interest confirming it from trump and mulvaney, there's no evidentiary issues at all.

Them bleating about the whistleblower is like if we saw a police procedural where they dragged the anonymous 911 caller into the courtroom of the murder trial to try to cast doubt on whether a body was actually found

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

^^^ I screenshot that one because he deleted it

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1194089337887109126

a casual reminder that this is the president

Amazing Zimmo fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 12, 2019

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Slugworth posted:

Cracking a 100 year old man's skull open to let the excess juice squeeze out is a fairly simple procedure, sure

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Calibanibal posted:

Cracking a 100 year old man's skull open to let the excess juice squeeze out is a fairly simple procedure, sure

Yeah, at that age you don't even need a drill, just find a toothpick

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

He went back and deleted it

https://mobile.twitter.com/jameshamblin/status/1194090761274437633

loving :lol:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Calibanibal posted:

it actually is. i've seen burr holes done bedside.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

It's a simple procedure in the same sense as tossing a watermelon off your roof

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1194015743223795712

because in the real world that is the USA, gunshots normally mean a mass shooting

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Calibanibal posted:

It's a simple procedure in the same sense as tossing a watermelon off your roof
What you do is, take Jimmy Carter's head, and begin placing rubber bands around it one at a time..

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Isn't veterans having a panic attack to gunshots one of the most common depictions of PTSD? You'd think they would at least not go for the "Let's poo poo on the troops" angle.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

HelloSailorSign posted:

I'm solidly Millennial and they're my #4 - Kit Kat, Snickers, Twix, Almond Joy.

3 Musketeers can gently caress right off. Milky Way too - apparently I need my nuts.

I might be showing my age but I'm partial to 5th Avenue candy bars.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

The right has recognized from the beginning that it is a political fight, but hasn't said that out loud, and yet has fought it that way so far (eg., process arguments).

"with the broad caveats that (1) this isn't a trial where evidentiary rules apply and (2) even if it was, the whistleblowers hearsay testimony could easily still be admissible, i'd go a step farther and say the whistleblower's testimony doesn't matter at all because it would be less valuable than the firsthand confirmations of all the claims that we now have."

Of course it "should be" a grand jury right now in the House, wherein evidentiary rules shouldn't rightly apply. The whistleblowers hearsay testimony shouldn't apply, other than initially, except other than politically, where it may or may not. With the caveat that we all get to vote for the DA, who gets to selectively leak information, cause it's not really a grand jury right now, cause of politics.

Wherein eventually may lie the rub.

Edit: Whether the whistleblower's testimony matters or not of course depends on politics at this point. It shouldn't given later facts.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 12, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bobjr posted:

Isn't veterans having a panic attack to gunshots one of the most common depictions of PTSD? You'd think they would at least not go for the "Let's poo poo on the troops" angle.

DJT Jr. throwing a fit about veterans being TRIGGERED on Veterans Day

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

This is probably not something I need to say, but I'll say it anyway. Trump didn't sign the Whistleblower Protection Act. That was signed by George H W Bush in 1989. He also didn't sign the Intelligence Community Whistleblower Protection Act of 1998, which is the act that protects the whistleblower in the Ukraine case (Clinton), or the Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act, (Obama) in 2008, which strengthens the Whistleblower Protection Act.

What he signed was the VA Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act, which protects whistleblowers who report waste or mismanagement in VA hospitals. It's an important and good law, but it's not something that's related to his situation. It's also a law that the Trump Administration hasn't really been enforcing. There was an Inspector General report last month that said the office established at the VA to oversee the law has been failing at keeping whistleblower identities secret, has untrained people investigating whistleblower reports, and doesn't refer complaints outside its scope to other agencies, for example, upon becoming aware of criminal activity, not notifying the FBI so they can conduct their own investigation.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

An emoluments charge too for one. But that's only a dream I have, perchance. If you have a United States Senator, maybe say hi.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Jeffery Epstein was murdered

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Epicurius posted:

This is probably not something I need to say, but I'll say it anyway. Trump didn't sign the Whistleblower Protection Act. That was signed by George H W Bush in 1989. He also didn't sign the Intelligence Community Whistleblower Protection Act of 1998, which is the act that protects the whistleblower in the Ukraine case (Clinton), or the Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act, (Obama) in 2008, which strengthens the Whistleblower Protection Act.

What he signed was the VA Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act, which protects whistleblowers who report waste or mismanagement in VA hospitals. It's an important and good law, but it's not something that's related to his situation. It's also a law that the Trump Administration hasn't really been enforcing. There was an Inspector General report last month that said the office established at the VA to oversee the law has been failing at keeping whistleblower identities secret, has untrained people investigating whistleblower reports, and doesn't refer complaints outside its scope to other agencies, for example, upon becoming aware of criminal activity, not notifying the FBI so they can conduct their own investigation.

Yep.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Surprised he copied the name of the act correctly into his tweet without understanding it. He must have cribbed it off a sheet of YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS MISTER PRESIDENT SIR that some aide put on his desk

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Now that the alt-right has committed the most heinous act of Real Fascism at that TPUSA event, heckling a mainstream Republican, maybe the media will actually make a serious efforts to combat them.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

Now that the alt-right has committed the most heinous act of Real Fascism at that TPUSA event, heckling a mainstream Republican, maybe the media will actually make a serious efforts to combat them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yam5uK6e-bQ

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Feldegast42 posted:

Jeffery Epstein was murdered

Are you saying the Jeffery Epstein was not killed and was, in fact, obviously murdered?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
One of us, taxed:

https://i.imgur.com/1DozE0y.mp4

Edit:

https://i.imgur.com/vYe09CZ.mp4

Otteration fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 12, 2019

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

PIZZA.BAT posted:

im looking for good charities to give to. i already donate to the ACLU, peace corps, and RAINN. what are some others?

From a few pages back, but I am a huge fan of both the Minority Humanitarian Foundation (which is literally just a family in San Diego who rescue migrants dumped on the street by ICE, get them back on their feet and reunite them with family here in the states) and Miles4Migrants.

MHF needs both money and physical goods, they have a running Target wish list for the shelters and communities they help in Mexico and for the folks they rescue from ICE. Miles4Migrants is all about donated frequent flier miles, they have a current fundraiser for United miles where United promised to match a huge number of miles. Follow both on Facebook and other social media to see the direct impact your donations have on actual human beings.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

They want the whistleblower naked so they can dig up dirt on that person and make it about them. So literally the motivation behind stopping the Ukraine aid in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yep. They can smear a person, they can't smear a report of events (well ok, they can, but it's harder).