Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Propagandhi wrote a song about how big of an rear end in a top hat Don Cherry is 10 years ago

https://youtu.be/EwsAruHCHHw

From Wikipedia

quote:

The album Supporting Caste by the Canadian punk rock band Propagandhi includes the song "Dear Coach's Corner", in which the singer directs questions to MacLean, asking why his niece should be subjected to requests to adhere to a collective will.[45] It also refers to Cherry as "A strange and bitter fruit, that sad old man beside you".[4]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
In good news, Federal Judge tossed Anger Mango's suit against NY over his tax returns, and also rejected conspiracy theory claims.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/judges-tosses-out-trump-s-lawsuit-block-house-committee-getting-n1080076

quote:

By Allan Smith
A federal judge on Monday dismissed President Donald Trump's lawsuit to prevent the House Ways and Means Committee from utilizing a recently passed New York law providing the panel an avenue to pursue his state tax returns.

Judge Carl Nichols of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia ruled that his court was not the proper jurisdiction to sue the New York officials named in the lawsuit, leaving open the option that Trump do so in New York.

In his lawsuit, Trump sued to preemptively block the House Ways and Means Committee from requesting the returns, New York Attorney General Letitia James from enforcing the law, and to stop the New York Department of Taxation from furnishing the documents. Trump argued his lawsuit was necessary to prevent his state returns from being disclosed to Congress before a court could hear his opposition.

The House Ways and Means Committee, chaired by Rep. Richard Neal, D-Mass., has not requested Trump's state returns through the new New York law.

'Go somewhere else and file': Judge tosses out part of Trump's tax lawsuit

"Based on the current allegations, Mr. Trump has not met his burden of establishing personal jurisdiction over either of the New York Defendants," Nichols, a Trump appointee, wrote. "The Court therefore need not reach the question of proper venue. Accordingly, the New York Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss is granted, and Mr. Trump’s Amended Complaint is dismissed without prejudice as to them."

Nichols also ruled that Trump did not sufficiently establish a conspiracy between the House Ways and Means Committee and the New York defendants, which would have strengthened his case for the lawsuit to be heard in Washington. Trump had argued that New York officials were "co-conspirators" with Democrats in Washington, and thus the Washington court had jurisdiction.

"But nowhere in his Amended Complaint does Mr. Trump allege the existence of a conspiracy; in fact, the word 'conspiracy' does not even appear in his pleadings," Nichols wrote.

Soon after, Trump's personal attorney Jay Sekulow said the president's lawyers "are reviewing the opinion."

"The case against the Ways and Means Committee proceeds in federal court," he added in a statement.

James said in a statement that her office is "pleased with the court's conclusion."

"We have never doubted that this law was legal, which is why we vigorously defended it from the start and will continue to do so," she said.

In his lawsuit, Trump's attorneys argued that the state law was simply an effort to get information about his personal finances to embarrass him politically. It asked the court to provide a declaratory judgment that the House Ways and Means Committee "lacks a legitimate legislative purpose for obtaining the President's state tax information."

The New York law, called the TRUST Act, was signed into law in July and allows the chairmen of three congressional tax-related committees — the House Ways and Means Committee, Senate Finance Committee and Joint Committee on Taxation — to request the state returns of public officials only after efforts to gain access to federal tax filings through the Treasury Department have failed. Neal is the only Democrat who can use the law, which was written broadly and makes it easier for New York to turn over the state tax returns of certain public officials to Congress.

"The dismissal of the President’s frivolous lawsuit against the New York TRUST Act moves us closer to finding what it is he has fought so hard to hide from the public," Democratic New York Assemblyman David Buchwald, who sponsored the legislation, said in a statement.

The legislation states that any "legitimate task" of Congress is a valid reason to make the request, should efforts to obtain the returns at the federal level be stonewalled by the Treasury Department. New York state tax filings are not identical to the federal returns, but contain much of the same information.

Neal's committee is tied up in separate legislation over Trump's tax returns with the Treasury Department, which has refused to provide Trump's federal returns to the panel. Neal sued the IRS and the Treasury Department over the returns citing a section of tax law that states the Treasury secretary "shall furnish" to congressional tax committees "any return or return information" request by its chairman.

The stated purpose of Neal's request is to review the IRS process for auditing presidential returns.

When asked about the New York law in June, Neal said utilizing it could harm his case involving Trump's federal returns. In July, Neal said House counsel was "reviewing" the New York law and had "some legitimate concerns" regarding it.

Trump is engaged in several legal battles across the country to keep his tax returns private. Last week, a federal appeals court ruled in a separate case that his returns must be turned over to Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance, who had subpoenaed the documents from Trump's accounting firm as part of an investigation into the pre-election payoffs to two women who alleged affairs with Trump. Trump is appealing that decision to the Supreme Court.

Trump broke with four decades of tradition when he refused to release his returns during his presidential bid, citing an IRS audit — one he now undergoes annually as president. However, such an audit would not preclude him from releasing the returns, which he did pledge to make public during his 2016 run.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MA-Horus posted:

Canada's Racist Grandpa, Don Cherry, has just been fired from Coach's Corner for saying some pretty racist poo poo on live TV

The CHUDs are out in loving force.

Like 20 years too late but at least they got 'im

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SimonCat posted:

Anyone else go the extra mile to not identify themselves as a Veteran on Veteran's Day? People make such a big deal out it of everyday anymore that asking for special treatment today seems selfish.

At like 3pm I swung by Chipotle because BOGO stuff today, and I figured the lunch rush would be over. Nope. Probably 35 fellow morons in line inside.

Edit: Hot drat, Jon Oliver.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 12, 2019

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Victor Vermis posted:

Absolutely. War is jacking off in desolate locations. Being a VETERAN is catching praise-spray off whatever miniscule percentage of people in uniform -including deployed- actually took any part in killing or attempting to kill the enemy.

I have zero doubt that the highest rate of prolonged combat exposure for any unit in human history is the loving nerds running the drone joysticks since 9/11.

BUT. When the Korea vet thanks you for your service, you thank him back. Because The Warrior Class grift is the proletariat's secret little boot strap.

I served in the late 80s when the only military activity was the invasion of Panama. Still gonna grab me a free burger at Applebees.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Godholio posted:

Edit: Hot drat, Jon Oliver.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Davethulhu posted:

I served in the late 80s when the only military activity was the invasion of Panama. Still gonna grab me a free burger at Applebees.

Were you the guys who had to call in air support with a AT&T phone card because the radios weren't programmed correctly?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

BigDave posted:

Were you the guys who had to call in air support with a AT&T phone card because the radios weren't programmed correctly?

hahahahahahahahahahahh holy poo poo

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

BigDave posted:

Please tell me that scene from the first transformers movie wasnt somehow based in reality jfc...

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

BigDave posted:

I thought was Grenada

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Flikken posted:

I thought was Grenada

Yeah, that was Urgent Fury.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/that-time-a-soldier-used-a-payphone-to-call-back-to-the-us-to-get-artillery-support-in-grenada

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

EFB

Stravag posted:

Please tell me that scene from the first transformers movie wasnt somehow based in reality jfc...

It was...

Flikken posted:

I thought was Grenada

Yup, it was Grenada. Then Clint Eastwood put it into Heartbreak Ridge.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i never knew that was real jfc

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

EFB

It was...

Goddammit when i think of how much money we spend on our military "reliable comms for our guys" was something i figured was solved after ww2 before desert storm. What a silly civilian ive been?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
To bring this full circle to veterans day, my mom wasted her knee in a training exercise for Grenada, which eventually led to her medical discharge.

Everyone thought she was a fake casualty for the exercise so no one thought to ask her why she was rolling around on the ground in crying pain for an hour.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got 11% off my groceries at Cub. Otherwise didn't get any free stuff. Famous Dave's has been our go to for years because it's actually good and the portions are generous. Poor young guys will never know what it was like when it was mostly just Applebee's who did it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

As Nero Danced posted:

To bring this full circle to veterans day, my mom wasted her knee in a training exercise for Grenada, which eventually led to her medical discharge.

Everyone thought she was a fake casualty for the exercise so no one thought to ask her why she was rolling around on the ground in crying pain for an hour.

pop a motrin, drink water and walk it off.

But seriously, it took me over 2 years to see a physical therapist and a chiropractor for my back. I wasn't given any muscle relaxers until this past summer. Nearly 2 years of various PAs just giving me some motrin.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we havent actually gotten any better at war, we just stick to fighting people we outspend about a zillion times over

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Proud Christian Mom posted:

we havent actually gotten any better at war, we just stick to fighting people we outspend about a zillion times over

Fight uh smarter? not harder.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stravag posted:

Goddammit when i think of how much money we spend on our military "reliable comms for our guys" was something i figured was solved after ww2 before desert storm. What a silly civilian ive been?

Thanks to Giuliani, it's not even true for civilians!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Despite the concept being as simple as it can be, joint operations were uh...considerably rougher back then.

They're still kinda poo poo unless you're in a small integrated unit affiliated with JSOC.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
It's almost like we should consolidate our military branches down or something instead of having everyone be their own special little group.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A Bad Poster posted:

It's almost like we should consolidate our military branches down or something instead of having everyone be their own special little group.

Looking at you air force and marines.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SKY MARINES

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Nobody saw nuthin'

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1194090575093518336?s=19

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A Bad Poster posted:

That doesn't really solve much. They're (mostly) split along logical lines...how would you reorganize in a logical fashion that would make the slightest difference?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

That doesn't really solve much. They're (mostly) split along logical lines...how would you reorganize in a logical fashion that would make the slightest difference?
No more Marines. NO DOWNSIDES

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ah ok this is from a no poo poo real law firm and a judge had to step in to protect the victim's identity

https://twitter.com/sumlokkei/status/1193857368645226497?s=19

Good poo poo HK police

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is one of the more insanely narcissistic traits he has. He's wiped out all his tweets supporting losing candidates, as well.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Godholio posted:

Who says it has to be logical? It's the military!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A Bad Poster posted:

Who says it has to be logical? It's the military!

That's true enough. But if anything, that means we need MORE branches! More general slots! MORE STAFFS!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

That's true enough. But if anything, that means we need MORE branches! More general slots! MORE STAFFS!

SPACE FORCE!

Also: Space Force Ground Forces, Space Force Air Force, Space Force Naval Force.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Cyber (giggity) force

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

It's about time we formed the 1ST US Rock Raiders to fight the increasing threat posed to the American people by the mole men and their earthquake generators underneath California and Oklahoma.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Stravag posted:

Cyber (giggity) force

Is there a unified command like a JSOC from Cyberwarfare?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The dude literally cannot admit defeat about anything. Next year is going to be hell.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why? He's gonna win

brains
May 12, 2004

Stravag posted:

Vasudus posted:

Despite the concept being as simple as it can be, joint operations were uh...considerably rougher back then.

They're still kinda poo poo unless you're in a small integrated unit affiliated with JSOC.

true, but the larger issue has consistently been that the individual procurement processes of each branch tended to select exclusively bullshit propriety hardware/software that was and still is completely incompatible with any other service's equipment, made for the sole purpose of guaranteeing maintenance and support contracts until the heat death of the universe.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

I can’t wait to jack off across the Med.

You gotta edge for a while to get that kind of pressure buildup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nystral posted:

Is there a unified command like a JSOC from Cyberwarfare?

Yes/No.

There’s a lot of stove piping in Cyberwarfare. You’ve got everything from script kiddy level folks, to the code gods behind Stuxnet.

This will change, in time. Cyber Command has it as a priority. The JSOC model doesn’t work for the broader cyberwarfare community, but JSOC’s cyberwarfare capabilities are as tightly integrated and as joint as the rest of the Command. I’m not sure the model works though, as cyber is more support/intel at JSOC and in reality we need tightly integrated and joint offensive cyberwarfare.