Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

think I'll rewatch the ep now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Holy poo poo Petey pedia is Petey

lol god damnit

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

KoRMaK posted:

Holy poo poo Petey pedia is Lube Man

lol god damnit

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I want to know the scale that Petey keeps using to rate the superheroes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jay-V posted:

OK guys but what if Lube Man is actually Angela's husband and he's just trying to look out for her :3:

I haven't been able to shake the idea that Angela's husband is up to something behind the scenes.

But that's because the character's name sticks out to me.

'Cal Abar' made my mind go to the word 'Caliber' and thought it was meant to be some punny civilian name relating to a costumed identity.
(Kind of like in Batman comics, Mr. Freeze's civilian name is Victor Fries).

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

withak posted:

if you mean the Wertham Spectrum, fun fact: it's named after Fredric Wertham. Wertham was a progressive psychiatrist, one of very few wiling to treat poor black patients in his time. His research was even cited in Brown v. Board of Education, the American Supreme Court case that produced a ban on educational segregation.

Unfortunately he's better known for writing Seduction of the Innocent, an extremely popular book about how comic books promoted violence, sex, and drugs among our youth. He called Superman un-American and fascistic, and Batman and Robin homosexuals. His criticism of Batman and Robin led to the creation of Batwoman and Batgirl to serve as heterosexual woman counterparts for Batman and Robin to romance.

I guess in the Watchmen reality, Wertham turned his mind toward psychoanalyzing actual superheroes instead of comics about them. I would love to see more of him as a character in this universe.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 12, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LadyPictureShow posted:

Before 2003, his first name? French

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Jay-V posted:

OK guys but what if Lube Man is actually Angela's husband and he's just trying to look out for her :3:

Then he could be called Lube Cage.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Civilized Fishbot posted:

if you mean the Wertham Spectrum, fun fact: it's named after Fredric Wertham. Wertham was a progressive psychiatrist, one of very few wiling to treat poor black patients in his time. His research was even cited in Brown v. Board of Education, the American Supreme Court case that produced a ban on educational segregation.

Unfortunately he's better known for writing Seduction of the Innocent, an extremely popular book about how comic books promoted violence, sex, and drugs among our youth. He called Superman un-American and fascistic, and Batman and Robin homosexuals. His criticism of Batman and Robin led to the creation of Batwoman and Batgirl to serve as heterosexual woman counterparts for Batman and Robin to romance.

I guess in the Watchmen reality, Wertham turned his mind toward psychoanalyzing actual superheroes instead of comics about them. I would love to see more of him as a character in this universe.

This is neat, thanks

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is it halfway over now? I thought it would be awful but I’m shocked by how much I like it.

Slightly less than, 4/9 episodes have aired. If it was anyone other than Lindelof I would have expected it to be terrible, too, but after The Leftovers I kind of expected this to be really good so I’m not really shocked.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

I haven't been able to shake the idea that Angela's husband is up to something behind the scenes.

'Cal Abar' made my mind go to the word 'Caliber' and thought it was meant to be some punny civilian name relating to a costumed identity.

Wow good catch on his name. Also, "Excalibur" is the name of Laurie's Dr. Manhattan dildo. So you have:

"Laurie's ex" -> "Dr. Manhattan" -> "Excalibur" -> "Ex-Cal Abar" -> Cal Abar is Laurie's Ex, Dr. Manhattan :tinfoil:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That dildo's scale is 1:1....

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh poo poo, with all the genetic info people are handing over to the Greenwood Center for Heritage, Triue corp ABSOLUTELY has to be sponsoring or processing that info or involved somehow.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

withak posted:

Ok, since peteypedia isn't laid out in the manner I'd expect a fan wiki to be laid out, which topic(s) should I click on to read about superhero ratings

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ok, since peteypedia isn't laid out in the manner I'd expect a fan wiki to be laid out, which topic(s) should I click on to read about superhero ratings

They are mentioned in passing in his memos. At some point he mentions not “diagnosing” Laurie with it because she doesn’t believe in the system.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

All of PeteyPedia is worth reading tho, check it out

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of Pepsi Man when Lube Man was running.

For anyone not aware, Pepsi Man is a Japan only Mascot that is a silver dude that runs to give people the refreshing taste of Pepsi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIpJ4tS_vM8

I am pretty sure they said Veidt is on the moon, that wasn't just a wacky transition.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Ok so Veidt agreed to his current predicament: Veidt and Trieu made a deal, whereby he would disappear for a given period of time and in exchange he would be given nice surroundings and endless clones of those two particular people and the technology to age & fill their minds with the basics of adult functioning. Perhaps he was somewhat coerced but thought he was getting a pretty good deal.

Does this line up with everything we've seen so far?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Re: speculation about where the plot's going, I'm with "time machine". I've been thinking it since episode 1, and while my initial notion was that that would be Veidt's plan, I think it's actually Trieu's (as suggested a few pages back). She wants to change the outcome of the Vietnam War, and in this universe the way you do that is by undoing Dr. Manhattan. As pointed out a few pages back, tachyons are theoretical particles that could travel backward in time, and they also just so happen to be Manhattan's vulnerability in the original book - what enables Veidt's dimensional attack scheme. It's absolutely logical that Veidt's interest in tachyon research would only grow, and that's also why Trieu is interested in Veidt.

Everybody here wants to change the past, and I think Trieu, Veidt, and Manhattan's own desires all probably synch up whether they see it that way or not: she wants to unmake Dr. Manhattan, Veidt wants to take his place, and Dr. Manhattan just wants to have died a normal man (out of a mixture of both the desire to undo his own impact on the world and a selfish death wish). All three of them can sort of get what they want simultaneously.

Will wants to stop the bombing of Black Wall Street, but in the end he'll take Angela's side over Trieu's and they'll prevent the time machine from being used. Angela will be tempted to use it to prevent Rorschach's journal from being found, which would stop the Seventh Kavalry, undo the weirdo masked vigilante police state, and in turn prevent the ascension of Keene (because he's manipulating all the poo poo in Tulsa), at the cost of burying the truth about Veidt forever. She won't. This is a story about bringing the past into the open, so that we can confront uncomfortable truths and forge a better future - which is why it's about Black Wall Street, Vietnam, and the false dichotomy between conservative, anti-government white supremacists and unaccountable, authoritarian police.

I'll have a large fry with that, also

Baku fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 12, 2019

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Cal / Kal-El

Abar - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abar,_the_First_Black_Superman

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

I legit thought Cal was just a fun tiny reference to Kal-El but Abar being a reference to that is on a whole other level.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Re: speculation about where the plot's going, I'm with "time machine". I've been thinking it since episode 1, and while my initial notion was that that would be Veidt's plan, I think it's actually Trieu's (as suggested a few pages back). She wants to change the outcome of the Vietnam War, and in this universe the way you do that is by undoing Dr. Manhattan. As pointed out a few pages back, tachyons are theoretical particles that could travel backward in time, and they also just so happen to be Manhattan's vulnerability in the original book - what enables Veidt's dimensional attack scheme. It's absolutely logical that Veidt's interest in tachyon research would only grow, and that's also why Trieu is interested in Veidt.

Everybody here wants to change the past, and I think Trieu, Veidt, and Manhattan's own desires all probably synch up whether they see it that way or not: she wants to unmake Dr. Manhattan, Veidt wants to take his place, and Dr. Manhattan just wants to have died a normal man (out of a mixture of both the desire to undo his own impact on the world and a selfish death wish). All three of them can sort of get what they want simultaneously.

Will wants to stop the bombing of Black Wall Street, but in the end he'll take Angela's side over Trieu's and they'll prevent the time machine from being used. Angela will be tempted to use it to prevent Rorschach's journal from being found, which would stop the Seventh Kavalry, undo the weirdo masked vigilante police state, and in turn prevent the ascension of Keene (because he's manipulating all the poo poo in Tulsa), at the cost of burying the truth about Veidt forever. She won't. This is a story about bringing the past into the open, so that we can confront uncomfortable truths and forge a better future - which is why it's about Black Wall Street, Vietnam, and the false dichotomy between conservative, anti-government white supremacists and unaccountable, authoritarian police.

I'll have a large fry with that, also

The original, unfilmed Watchmen movie script from the 90’s ended with Dr Manhattan being undone and the masked heroes entering our world, a world without superheroes.

The Veidt substory is pretty clearly “be careful what you wish for.” (When I first got here I thought it was a paradise).

EDIT: and as per Peteypedia, the Squiddening did not in fact lead to a future of peace, prosperity, and grand achievements of humankind. It led to technophobia, racist Rorschach cults, and masked cops.

Sir, this is a Taco Bell.

Nieuw Amsterdam fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 12, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That was my thinking, too. If there really is a "go back in time and erase Dr. Manhattan's origin" aspect to this, it'd be a hell of a reference and recontextualization of that awful and unearned ending. I'd be into it.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

there's some great performances in here. Veidt, Looking Glass and Angela are the stand-outs right now. I understand Laurie's suppose to be jaded and tragic but I find the snark just really annoying and as it inserts itself in every scene. it cheapens it since it's 110% all the time.

this is some attempt by the writers trying to "show" she's the daughter of the Comedian. it seems odd because her 'tude undoes her coming to terms with her parents, Manhattan, and her story at the end of the original Watchmen.

what I'm saying is we need more Lube Man, less Laurie.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Zmej posted:

there's some great performances in here. Veidt, Looking Glass and Angela are the stand-outs right now. I understand Laurie's suppose to be jaded and tragic but I find the snark just really annoying and as it inserts itself in every scene. it cheapens it since it's 110% all the time.

this is some attempt by the writers trying to "show" she's the daughter of the Comedian. it seems odd because her 'tude undoes her coming to terms with her parents, Manhattan, and her story at the end of the original Watchmen.

Yeah as much as Im enjoying Jean Smarts peformance, the snark is at 11 at all times and even within 2 episodes its becoming rather one note, although it feels somewhat intentional. I hope theyre building her jaded attitude up to be broken down, it feels like its very clearly portrayed as a defense mechanism from a very vulnerable person.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Zmej posted:

Her previous persona was The Comedienne: she's expected to tell jokes.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Jay-V posted:

Also a question, does anyone have any indication how much time passed between the intro scene of Trieu buying the farm and current day? I saw the infrastructure/buildings pop in but didn't see anything to ground in specific times.

Those structures weren't meant to be on the same spot. Not much time has passed because Trieu's daughter is still an adolescent.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Those structures weren't meant to be on the same spot. Not much time has passed because Trieu's daughter is still an adolescent.

You're assuming there's only one of Trieu's daughter

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I'm not going to make you a baby, I already did it

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You're assuming there's only one of Trieu's daughter

Yeah I thought of that but the millennium clock was just finished in 2019 so if construction didn't begij until after Veidt's disapparance and it was under construction when she bought that farm, I think it's safe to place that scene sometime in the last five years.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I thought this said Seduction of the Innocent promoted violence, sex, and drugs and I thought that guy was rad for a second.

I don't know who imprisoned Veidt (it's Lady Trieu) but there's obviously no way he's on another planet. There's no scenario where that works.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Really I don't care what the deal is with Veidt, it's kind of dumb that we still don't know halfway through the show. A story is more interesting and enduring than a mystery.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nail Rat posted:

Really I don't care what the deal is with Veidt, it's kind of dumb that we still don't know halfway through the show. A story is more interesting and enduring than a mystery.

The original Watchmen comic is a mystery and it seems to be enduring pretty loving well, what with getting a prequel, a sequel and a TV series 30+ years after its release.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

I had this same realization and frustration. the Veidt stuff is fun, but I'd be more invested if I knew what/why he is escaping

Jedit posted:

The original Watchmen comic is a mystery and it seems to be enduring pretty loving well, what with getting a prequel, a sequel and a TV series 30+ years after its release.
I'm pretty sure the prequels are generally considered trash.

also you can't just transfer the original Watchmen comic "mystery" to ignore his criticism on a completely separate TV show. he's talking more about Veidt's motivation and backstory. it's just being obfuscated and the reveal most likely isn't gonna tell us anything new about his character. it feels like a mystery fun box with a prize inside currently. the real adventure and mystery is how the heck he is going to get out of it. if Veidt demonstrated to us he DIDN'T know why he was there, then it would be an enthralling mystery to follow alongside him (like Dark City). he's shown he knows of some clear rules and reason he's there. it's frustrating when the audience isn't keyed into the world rules or motivations because then it appears like the writers are just making it up as they go along. thus why people get frustrated at this and Lost when the "mystery" gets to overwrite (a lack of) substance.

Zmej fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 12, 2019

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Zmej posted:

I had this same realization and frustration. the Veidt stuff is fun, but I'd be more invested if I knew what/why he is escaping

I’m in the opposite camp and part of me wishes it’d take a Lynchian turn where we never do find out who, how, or why Adrian is where he is and his story never connects with the main plot.

It won’t do that, of course, but I’d find it immensely funny if that’s what happened.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zmej posted:

I'm pretty sure the prequels are generally considered trash.

They're considered trash by me, mate. This doesn't change the fact that they exist and that they would not exist if the original were not an enduring property.

As for the Veidt mystery, I think it's premature to bitch about how the show is "doing a Lost" and refusing to explain things when we're four episodes in. If we haven't found out by the end then I'll join you at the burning of HBO HQ, but not yet.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I feel like the show's been good enough and the Veidt stuff interesting enough that it warrants waiting at least longer than the halfway point (which we're not at) before judging whether it's just an empty mystery. I also fail to see how you see a scene with a room full of creatively butchered clones and go "yeah I wish we had learned something about Veidt's character in this episode".

Also LOST ended almost a full decade ago and Lindelof's written other stuff since including the acclaimed Leftovers, so going back to the "he really just makes up stuff up as he goes along to add to the mystery" is such a dated complaint. Although it does allow me to resurrect my favorite meme from the Leftovers threads:

"LOST really hosed a lot of people up"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh I do think Lindelof's writing shines best when he keeps the plot/mysteries/etc. in the background and puts the emphasis on character. Like I honestly don't even care all that much about where/how/why Veidt is imprisoned, but just watching him go nuts with crazy catapult bullshit is great.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I think Leftovers (and honestly the better parts of LOST) show that he likes to use mystery as a vehicle for exploring characters. It's not mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Let the mystery be