Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

What does your heart tell you?

"EAT LESS CHOCOLATE-COVERED HALAVAH AAAAAH JESUS LORD ALMIGHTY!!!" mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Looks like heat tape to me.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Canuckistan posted:

This was low voltage, right? Or speaker wires?
That's not TOO different from the lovely home depot landscape lighting kit I bought, that just had leads that you punch through the existing cable.

Low voltage at least.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HappyEasyDassie-mobile.mp4

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SelfassuredMeagerEasternnewt-mobile.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gvibes posted:

That's not TOO different from the lovely home depot landscape lighting kit I bought, that just had leads that you punch through the existing cable.

Low voltage at least.

It works for irrigation.

[laugh track]

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Memento posted:

I hear you've got a little weather in the states right now...

https://twitter.com/theakchi/status/1193908271444303877?s=19

Should have invested in a set of quality winter tires from Discount Tire. If you're not satisfied, you can always return the tire for a full refund!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Sagebrush posted:

and once they're on these dedicated rights-of-way, where only self-driving cars could go, they could all start linking together with other cars going to the same place and travel in packs for efficiency. since there are some routes that are going to be a lot more popular than others, you could make extra large self-driving cars for many people at once that serve those routes exclusively. and then on these really high-traffic routes you could make the roads out of steel instead of asphalt for reduced maintenance. or at least two thin tracks under where the wheels are, since the car will be able to follow it perfectly. and then why not make the wheels out of steel too for even better wear resistance? and

🎵 iiiim gonna take my autonomous car to the old town road and then I’ll driiiive till I hit someone 🎵

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PurpleXVI posted:

RE: Self-driving cars, I think the only way you'd really make them work is if you entirely separated the automobile and pedestrian/bicycle travel networks, so pedestrians could cross over or under roads and never be at any risk from cars(pedestrian tunnels and bridges, essentially, rather than zebra crossings). If they only had to deal with other self-driving vehicles, all communicating, and perfectly marked travel areas, I believe self-driving cars could be more effective and safe than human drivers(plus then I could just tell my car where to take me and get a nap), but the road network where self-driving cars work perfectly is vastly different from the road network that we currently have(or likely ever will have).

You'd be better off putting the roads on raised bridges or tunnels. Pedestrians don't want to walk down into spooky tunnels. Pedestrians also don't want to walk uphill on bridges that take three times as long to cross vs. just darting across the street.

Here's one in my town. To avoid being too steep it's hella long.

If you've ever met a human, you're going to spot the problem right away. Putting these things every 100m wouldn't prevent jaywalking at all. I guess it would make it even easier to blame the pedestrians for accidents, but if your goal is to prevent accidents this isn't a solution.

It is handy for when people want to get a message out though. People hang out up there with banners and whatnot so all the passing cars see. I've never seen a pedestrian or cyclist using it to safely cross the street, but I've seen people with banners a few times.

Put the cars underground and let them choke on their own exhaust IMO.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/QJk6aZS.mp4

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Memento posted:

I hear you've got a little weather in the states right now...

https://twitter.com/theakchi/status/1193908271444303877?s=19

That pilot turned off way too early, way too fast. Plenty of runway left to slow down. I hope he’s fired.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Facebook Aunt posted:

You'd be better off putting the roads on raised bridges or tunnels. Pedestrians don't want to walk down into spooky tunnels. Pedestrians also don't want to walk uphill on bridges that take three times as long to cross vs. just darting across the street.

Here's one in my town. To avoid being too steep it's hella long.

If you've ever met a human, you're going to spot the problem right away. Putting these things every 100m wouldn't prevent jaywalking at all. I guess it would make it even easier to blame the pedestrians for accidents, but if your goal is to prevent accidents this isn't a solution.

It is handy for when people want to get a message out though. People hang out up there with banners and whatnot so all the passing cars see. I've never seen a pedestrian or cyclist using it to safely cross the street, but I've seen people with banners a few times.

You're making the fundamental assumption that anyone who builds or drives on roads cares about pedestrians. Nobody who builds roads actually cares about pedestrians or making walking convenient or easy. How do you think those guys get to work every day?

You can see how much of a poo poo they give about pedestrians because there aren't even any Jersey barriers protecting the sidewalk from the cars. That overpass isn't designed to solve a problem, it's designed to look like it's solving a problem without really changing anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bees on Wheat posted:

Hmm yes this looks very safe, indeed. :hmmyes:

Not pictured: the scorched outlet that was somehow like this before someone plugged this in.

How did you get a picture of my nephew's phone charger?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Cojawfee posted:

How did you get a picture of my nephew's phone charger?

He left it plugged in at work? :v:

And yeah, I get that it's low voltage, but it still looks gnarly. Maybe I should have posted to the restaurant industry thread instead, since I found this in the back of a commercial kitchen.

Unrelated, the "(x) days without a lost time accident" board has been wiped clean and hasn't been updated in several weeks.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Bees on Wheat posted:

Hmm yes this looks very safe, indeed. :hmmyes:

Not pictured: the scorched outlet that was somehow like this before someone plugged this in.

usb is 5 volts who gives a poo poo

the real fire hazard is probably that 99 cent made in china switching power supply inside the brick

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 12, 2019

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Did that trick once to get a tire back on the rim of a trailer in -30C weather. Nothing quite so dramatic happened and it worked like a charm.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L08LjkN1k70

"If the science is right, I should live! 3, 2, 1...."

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 12, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

usb is 5 volts who gives a poo poo

the real fire hazard is probably that 99 cent made in china switching power supply inside the brick

Yeah and it’s not isolated and it will murder you as happened to that one woman in Australia.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

chitoryu12 posted:

Congratulations to these folks for reinventing the Presto Hot Dogger.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

OSHA: Now instead of plugging the hot dog directly into the wall...

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

That dude’s house and life are both Florida as gently caress. OSHA, too, I guess.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

American homes in the 1950s had electrodes sticking out the kitchen walls so you could place hot dogs on them for supper

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Fallom posted:

American homes in the 1950s had electrodes sticking out the kitchen walls so you could place hot dogs on them for supper

True.

My old ranch house had copper hot dog electrodes, but I know that fancier ones were chrome plated or stainless steel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't care how many precautions someone takes, I don't like any youtube channel that makes it look like they are about to kill themselves. At least the electro boom guy is knowledgeable in electricity. The backyard scientist guy always looks like he just found out about something on the internet and now he's trying it with reckless abandon because "lol i f*cking love science"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

I don't care how many precautions someone takes, I don't like any youtube channel that makes it look like they are about to kill themselves. At least the electro boom guy is knowledgeable in electricity. The backyard scientist guy always looks like he just found out about something on the internet and now he's trying it with reckless abandon because "lol i f*cking love science"

Backyard Scientist is the heir to King of Random.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

How safe are these tap a line things, they've always seemed like the worst possible implementation of extension cords

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Wizzanthos posted:

the worst possible implementation of extension cords

Yes

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wizzanthos posted:

How safe are these tap a line things, they've always seemed like the worst possible implementation of extension cords

quote:

Tap-A-Line never received U/L* approval and production finally ended, possibly in the l980s.

A U/L approval is like the bare minimum of safety for any electrical device.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah like isn't UL essentially an insurance thing that says "we agree that this probably won't start a fire in your house"

that's not a high bar to clear

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Go Gators (clips)!

PurpleXVI posted:

RE: Self-driving cars, I think the only way you'd really make them work is if you entirely separated the automobile and pedestrian/bicycle travel networks, so pedestrians could cross over or under roads and never be at any risk from cars(pedestrian tunnels and bridges, essentially, rather than zebra crossings). If they only had to deal with other self-driving vehicles, all communicating, and perfectly marked travel areas, I believe self-driving cars could be more effective and safe than human drivers(plus then I could just tell my car where to take me and get a nap), but the road network where self-driving cars work perfectly is vastly different from the road network that we currently have(or likely ever will have).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM

Platystemon posted:

Yeah and it’s not isolated and it will murder you as happened to that one woman in Australia.

quote:

“The voltage seems to travel up through the faulty charger into her phone and she was wearing earplugs and also operating a laptop which was also plugged into a power point,” Ms Collins said.

“So the (electricity) travelled back down through the earphones to the laptop and into the power point,” she said.

“Two-hundred-and-forty volts (then) travelled up into the phone which obviously the phone isn’t designed to handle.

This one seems like a weird "perfect storm" situation. Am I understanding this correctly that, essentially, a bad phone charger resulted in too much voltage (or electricity quantity, because this was my weak area of physics) going through the charger and phone, into her, and then to out through her touching her laptop?

Fallom posted:

These are great, and just lol if you haven't followed the 5 Minute Crafts video to discover how easy it is to convert two paperclips into an easy machine for cooking a whole family dinner (of hotdogs) in just four minutes!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wizzanthos posted:

Well the mixer and kettle simultanously as show in their promotional flyer there would draw around 30A, plus there's nothing preventing polarity reversal so anything with a 2 prong plug could easily be plugged in such that the chassis is always hot.

Maxing out the shock and fire risk independently, noice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pseudorandom posted:

This one seems like a weird "perfect storm" situation. Am I understanding this correctly that, essentially, a bad phone charger resulted in too much voltage (or electricity quantity, because this was my weak area of physics) going through the charger and phone, into her, and then to out through her touching her laptop?

It’s not that weird.

As I understand it root cause of the incident is a short between the hot AC line and the floating USB “ground”. There are design guidelines to keep this from happening, but this charger’s designers never read them or skipped them to save petty change.

With that short existing, it was only a matter of time before she suffered a shock.

The metal earbuds made an unusually dangerous electrical connection. It had more conductivity than a patch of dry skin would, and the position guaranteed that touching ground with anything below the neck would put current across the heart.

She might still have survived if the faulty charger had been plugged into a GFCI.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 12, 2019

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Wizzanthos posted:

Worst? I think you mean best! Imagine how many things you could plug into one strip if you were able to jam all the plugs and adapters right up next to each other instead of having to space them out because Big Brother told you to?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I think there was a story of some idiot that was charging his ipad with a knock off charger whilst watching it in the bath, promptly dropped it in and :rip:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/09CRExg.mp4

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe it's the compression but that looks rather fake.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Curious as to what got dropped near the end of that clip

oohhboy posted:

Maybe it's the compression but that looks rather fake.

You are why we can't have nice things

GotLag fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 12, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hell, I would be completely in favour of this. I just don't think it's every likely to happen unless someone was planning a city or town from scratch. But God it would be gorgeous.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

But why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Trump's Space Force training for zero gravity