Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I. M. Gei posted:

My dad’s birthday is coming up and he wants a coffee maker that can do both ground coffee and Keurig cups. I didn’t even know these existed. Have any of y’all ever heard of this?

I might have to crosspost this in the Coffee thread, but I might as well ask here first.

They'll eat you alive over there asking that. I think Keurig even makes one, I've seen them on Amazon. I thought of getting one for my wife. I use a pour over but it sucks if you have company and everyone wants coffee, and she doesn't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

We have one of these. It makes either a single cup (grounds or k cup) up to 12ish oz cup or pots worth.
Getting an odd or tall mug can be fiddly when making a single cup, but it's not a deal breaker

The GF and i are pretty happy with it. It makes a coffee. It makes enough for a thermos mug or it makes a pot for the both of us.

Hamilton Beach (49980A) Single Serve Coffee Maker and Coffee Pot Maker, Programmable, Black/Stainless Steel

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

I'm thinking of getting some kitchen shears and looking back there hasn't been a lot of shear talk in the thread. I mostly want them to spatchcock some poultry. I'm wondering if ordinary shears (not scissors) will get the job done or do I need to get poultry ones?

I'm eyeing either the Oxo shears, because duh, or the Kuhn Rikon ones.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I have some Wusthof ones that seem to be indestructible (and have that notch that helps with spatchcocking).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my aunt loaned these to me one year

https://lamsonproducts.com/products/poultry-shears

and then i did such a good job with the turkey that she let me keep them

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
gently caress that's expensive. Worth it?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mr_Roke posted:

I'm thinking of getting some kitchen shears and looking back there hasn't been a lot of shear talk in the thread. I mostly want them to spatchcock some poultry. I'm wondering if ordinary shears (not scissors) will get the job done or do I need to get poultry ones?

I've been using a pair of Oxo shears that the hinge comes apart on so that you can really clean them after dealing with poultry. They are fine. I'm not sure what else I'd want shears to do that would warrant spending more than like $20.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Mr_Roke posted:

I had a set similar to the Oxo or the Wustoff for several years. The head of the T stud that keeps the two halves together was too thin and eventually wore away so that the shears wouldn't stay together. I peened them back together (losing the ability to separate and wash them thoroughly) and they lasted a couple of more years before failing completely.

Even when new, pay attention to how you carry them. My pair separated unexpectedly and left a nice little triangular hole where the blade fell and embedded itself in the wood floor. I didn't complain much - it had missed my bare foot by a few centimeters.

Other than that they were good, whatever they were.

I still need to get another set. Maybe the Kuhn Rikon this time.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

my aunt loaned these to me one year

https://lamsonproducts.com/products/poultry-shears

and then i did such a good job with the turkey that she let me keep them

Looking at this, the combination of "American made since 1837" in the header graphic, the $53 price tag and "imported from China" in the product description made me mad as hell

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Nephzinho posted:

I've been using a pair of Oxo shears that the hinge comes apart on so that you can really clean them after dealing with poultry. They are fine. I'm not sure what else I'd want shears to do that would warrant spending more than like $20.

same, have done spatchcocking with oxos and they work perfectly well. originally sought the legendary shun shears but seeing the price took a few years off my life. the oxos are like $10 at target. get those.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Nephzinho posted:

Yup, I have a great pair of OXO, I definitely can't see spending alot of money on fancy scissors. I've had them for about 3 years, throw them in the dishwasher all the time, and they still demolish a chicken in no time.

Whatever you get, defnitely pick ones that seperate for easy clean up.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Looking at this, the combination of "American made since 1837" in the header graphic, the $53 price tag and "imported from China" in the product description made me mad as hell

Count me in for Team Go gently caress Yourself.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I like my Oxo shears for most things, but when I need to break down a chicken, I like my Fiskars butcher shears better. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZJUNHVU/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_MUBYDbCVBMQT8

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I will forever stan Joyce Chen kitchen scissors.

They're the best.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Croatoan posted:

gently caress that's expensive. Worth it?

they are awesome but i dont actually need them that often! idk if i would spend that much money personally.

i think mine are branded as wustoff but they look identical to those ones.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone have a themomix? Is it worth the money?
I have a german friend who says it is literally the best thing he’s ever bought. I’ve never heard of it before.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I looked one over (plus the extensive high-production-value marketing materials) in Williams Sonoma. Seems like the kind of thing someone would get if they want to be Instant Pot levels of passionate about a kitchen appliance, but also don't like cooking.

That said, I tend to get judgemental in stores like W-S and Sur La Table to compensate for secretly wanting all the shiny kitchen things, so the true answer is :capitalism:

Unrelated:

My Krups coffee grinder died after a decade+. Is that still the go-to tool for spice grinding? The Cuisinart with the removable stainless cup sounds appealing but the Amazon reviews don't speak well of its quality.

Edit:

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I like my Oxo shears for most things, but when I need to break down a chicken, I like my Fiskars butcher shears better. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZJUNHVU/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_MUBYDbCVBMQT8

Same, I use my Oxo shears all the time, but prefer a more robust pair of poultry shears for cutting through chicken bones, etc. I've used the Oxo in a pinch and it was fine though. Not sure what brand my poultry shears are, all I cared about was whether I could separate the blades before throwing it in the dishwasher.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 12, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Discussion Quorum posted:

Unrelated:

My Krups coffee grinder died after a decade+. Is that still the go-to tool for spice grinding? The Cuisinart with the removable stainless cup sounds appealing but the Amazon reviews don't speak well of its quality.

I have both the Krupa and the Cuisinart. The Cuisinart looks great, interchangeable, multiple size bowls are great. It’s super easy to clean. It’s just pretty bad at grinding spices... anything relatively tough like cumin takes at least 90 seconds while constantly shaking it in your hands. Light stuff like coriander never gets well ground because it’s just flying around at the top.

Get the Krups again...

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Thanks for all the shear talk everyone, going to go with the ordinary Oxo shears since those come apart and the spring-loaded Kuhn ones Kenji recommends in his book do not appear to do that.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
What's a unique kitchen tool for about 25$ that I could get for my secret Santa. She didn't specify what she wanted so just looking for some kitchen ideas.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

sterster posted:

What's a unique kitchen tool for about 25$ that I could get for my secret Santa. She didn't specify what she wanted so just looking for some kitchen ideas.

Gnocchi board made out of a nice wood like Walnut.

Olive wood spoon

Unicorn magnum pepper grinder

All of the pre-portioned ingredients to YOUR favorite thing to cook, with the recipe hand written/typed and printed.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Bape Culture posted:

I have a german friend who says it is literally the best thing he’s ever bought. I’ve never heard of it before.

My mom swears by hers, had it sent from europe by a relative. I've used it and it's... fine? If you need a blender that can cook while it blends, great. I have yet to find a thing it does uniquely better or so much lower effort than doing things in other ways to make it worth the price tag.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bape Culture posted:

If you have limited counter space, it's a lot of appliances in one. It has some significant drawbacks: essentially, it's not the best option for any of its uses, but it's a good enough one for just about anything.

If you have the counter space, you can buy top-of-the-line appliances that'll do far better than a Thermomix.

Food processor: Magimix or Breville/Kenwood
Stand mixer: Ankarsrum
Blender: Vitamix
Instant pot for cooking functions
Also get an induction hot plate

Total price of those should come to less than a Thermomix, and they'll give you better results.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

sterster posted:

Silicon baking mat. I can always use those fucks, because they're so handy to have around.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

dino. posted:

Silicon baking mat. I can always use those fucks, because they're so handy to have around.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZVRJBZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

These have been great.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm so glad they're cheap because eventually I'm going to make something that makes it permanently oily/grimy and I just throw it out instead of spend an hour rinsing it and trying to get it clean. Or I leave it in the oven making pizza.

As for suggestions, would make it something that is pretty universally useful as opposed to a single purpose tool like a gnocchi board (of which I need). Olivewood utensils are always good, I can never have too many wooden spoons and have an unreasonable affection for olivewood. Small wooden cutting board/serving tray. Recipe card box with a few of your favorites filled in. An apron with a seasonal print. One of those weird utility knives that has a serrated edge and a spreadable/flexible body that is really useful for making sandwiches. One of those adjustable liquid measuring cups with squeegee sides. A beater blade mixer attachment for their kitchenaid.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

dino. posted:

This is actually what I ended up picking up. Was looking at some of the other suggestions above. Ended up finding a silicone pastry mat. Basically has bunch of printing for length/width measurements, circumference marks, typical conversions for volume & weight. $23.99
In question.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016R1VYVY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

sterster posted:

Piping tips, cookie scoops, silicon baking mats, cooling racks, immersion blenders, mixing bowl sets, blowtorches, adjustable measuring cups, kitchen scales

All of these things range from $10-$30 (I've seen some immersion blenders on Amazon for as low as $25) and would make great additions to any kitchen.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Came across a screaming deal on OfferUp and now I have a 20qt Eurodib spiral mixer! My pizza game is about to ramp up.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm going to go and buy a new cooking pot. I want something large, it'll be awkward to clean but the extra space to move things around and cook in bulk would be a timesaver. What should I look out for in a good pot? My current one is very thin on the bottom and has poo poo heat distribution, so I can't just leave it simmering as it'll burn sooner or later. Should I just buy a very thick and heavy bottomed pot, or is there more to it than that? Any other helpful pieces of advice that are commonly overlooked?

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Just wanted to say that thanks to this thread I bought myself a Hinoki chopping board and it smells so drat good I cant stop picking it up to get a whiff when i walk past it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Qubee posted:

I'm going to go and buy a new cooking pot. I want something large, it'll be awkward to clean but the extra space to move things around and cook in bulk would be a timesaver. What should I look out for in a good pot? My current one is very thin on the bottom and has poo poo heat distribution, so I can't just leave it simmering as it'll burn sooner or later. Should I just buy a very thick and heavy bottomed pot, or is there more to it than that? Any other helpful pieces of advice that are commonly overlooked?

I'd recommend an enameled round dutch oven, as large as you can afford space- (and money-)wise.

Le Creuset if you can swing the price, Cuisinart if you can't.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Qubee posted:

an enamelled cast iron dutch oven would definitely be the most common recommendation if you don't have one, as they are fantastic for nearly everything you might want to do from sauteeing to long braises to frying.

the lodge ones are like sixty bucks and'll probably last a couple decades

e:fb

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
pot thickness is a bit overrated. If you're concerned about heat distribution your burners are the problem, a thick pot can mitigate it somewhat but only a little.

I use my 7 quart oval staub a lot, it's fun and big and I can put it in the oven. I'd probably get about as much value out of a rondeau though to be honest. (rondeaus arent something I see all that often in home kitchens for whatever reason but theyre kind of the best pot shape)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 15, 2019

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

I'd recommend an enameled round dutch oven, as large as you can afford space- (and money-)wise.

Le Creuset if you can swing the price, Cuisinart if you can't.

What about Staub and Lodge?

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 15, 2019

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lodge is fine. It works just as well as my le crueset, just heavier.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I've been using the Amazon Prime-brand enamelled dutch oven and it's pretty good. It gets the job done and is a bit cheaper than some of the alternatives. Every now and then it goes on super sale, I think I picked this one up for $30.

I also have one of these at home and it's my go-to big pot for just about anything. They come in bigger variations (the 12qt isn't much more expensive), are heavy-bottomed and will last forever.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The Lodge enamel and some others have sloping sides and a radiused bottom decreasing the cooking surface, something to be aware of.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Not sure if this is relevant at all to your situation but whatever - I do a lot of canning and have been using a 10 litre thin walled ss stock pot and graniteware canners to cook large batches of soup, stew, sauces, etc. for canning. Complete pain in the arse. If you turn your back for a minute something scorches on the bottom.

Costco had a 15 litre clad bottom stock pot on for $40cdn this fall. Night and day difference - absolutely no scorching since I bought it. Heavy and surprisingly well built - I don't think the handles are going to fall off in my lifetime.

Verisimilidude posted:

I also have one of these at home and it's my go-to big pot for just about anything. They come in bigger variations (the 12qt isn't much more expensive), are heavy-bottomed and will last forever.

Yeah, this, only bigger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
staub has metal knobs while le creuset has plastic ones