Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Happy Bear Slayer's Day, Latvians!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Some things are best left untranslated :v:.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
The Hungarian government really seems to just be ploughing straight into fascism in its rhetoric since the local elections last month. A week or so ago they unveiled a reconstruction of a monument to the victims of the Red Terror, originally built in 1934, and, well, just look at the event:

The text of the speech by (Speaker of Parliament) László Kövér on the occasion in Hungarian is here, here are some of my translations to give you an idea of the tone of the speech:

quote:

Hungary became defenceless after the freedom fight of 1848-49 that was drowned in blood: in not just a military, not just a political, but a spiritual sense too. Our nation lost not just its physical and political capacity for self-defence, but its spiritual one too. This is how it could have happened that in 1858 a foreign youth who entered our homeland at the age of 22 and indeed could not speak Hungarian could become the founder of the dogma of the Hungarian language's Finno-Ugric origin. [...]

It would be impious to name before this monument to the martyrs of the nation the spiritual or physical aggressors [who undertook the Red Terror], but it is our duty to invoke their thought because it is only in this way that the civil war of 1918-19 that devoured the lives of those martyrs we pay homage to today can be understood by the succeeding age. [...]

It is necessary, but not sufficient, that the electors in our country have been able to close not just the communist era in 1990, but the postcommunist era too in 2010 in a democratic way.

Hungary can finally win this struggle only when those who stand against us realise that godlessness, treason and national denial funded from abroad will never again win them a majority in Hungary! [...]

Piety to the sacrificed and glory to the heroes! May God protect and help Hungary! May he give all of us strength, persistence and wisdom, so that we can be his instruments in this!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Am I reading the implications of that wrong or is denying the Hungarian language's finno-ugric origin something Hungarian nationalists do??

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Osmosisch posted:

Making emigration such a core trauma and cause is a bit of an eye-opener. Interesting. Also partially explains the piss party's obsession with birth rates.

Emigration from EE has been massive, from countries that had a low birth rate to begin with no less. It seems possible that it'll partially reverse itself once the German export economy racket collapses and the jobs dry up

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
so when is austria getting annexed into ungarn-österreich then?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

aphid_licker posted:

Emigration from EE has been massive, from countries that had a low birth rate to begin with no less. It seems possible that it'll partially reverse itself once the German export economy racket collapses and the jobs dry up

Apparently East German Länder are getting positive migration for the first time since the reunification, thanks in large part to Ossies going back there after a prolonged stay in the West, so perhaps the process has already begins. It's just a question about whether that phenomenon will continue beyond the border.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Apparently East German Länder are getting positive migration for the first time since the reunification, thanks in large part to Ossies going back there after a prolonged stay in the West, so perhaps the process has already begins. It's just a question about whether that phenomenon will continue beyond the border.

Cost of living and housing market in the western German major cities is not great, and lots of jobs aren't that well-paid, and I think it wouldn't take much in terms of worsening of the labor market in the west to start a bit of a push. Whether the situation in the major origin countries like for example Romania, Poland, or Bulgaria counteracts or reinforces that push when it happens is the next question.

e: dunno what someone does who had a kid while working in Germany, someone from eastern Germany would certainly face less of a transition on moving back than someone with a kid that spent its life in Stuttgart and now has to move "back" to Bucharest?

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 11, 2019

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

aphid_licker posted:

Am I reading the implications of that wrong or is denying the Hungarian language's finno-ugric origin something Hungarian nationalists do??

Yes it's a standard trope of the Hungarian far right that the "Finno-Ugric hypothesis" was invented by the Habsburgs/Westerners to make Hungarians look primitive. They prefer various kinds of wacky alternatives like Hungarian being related to Chinese, Sumerian, etc. It's been circulating as a piece of nationalist pseudoscience for ages but it's been popularised along with various other exciting ideas from the 1930s under Fidesz -- though I don't think I've seen an explicit government endorsement of it until this speech.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Zohar posted:

Yes it's a standard trope of the Hungarian far right that the "Finno-Ugric hypothesis" was invented by the Habsburgs/Westerners to make Hungarians look primitive. They prefer various kinds of wacky alternatives like Hungarian being related to Chinese, Sumerian, etc. It's been circulating as a piece of nationalist pseudoscience for ages but it's been popularised along with various other exciting ideas from the 1930s under Fidesz -- though I don't think I've seen an explicit government endorsement of it until this speech.

Wow.

e: honestly the Hungarian people's origin story as I understand it seems like it should be plenty badass enough even for a hardcore nationalist.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Zohar posted:

That is the dumbest thing to give a poo poo about.

Like holy poo poo for what possible reason would someone who isn't a linguistics professor even care about a language's origins?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

That is the dumbest thing to give a poo poo about.

Like holy poo poo for what possible reason would someone who isn't a linguistics professor even care about a language's origins?

Lingual history is murky enough to be a potent base for nationalist lore building. It seems to play really well with extending the historic background of some european ethnicities over the 1000-year mark record keeping limitations impose on them. It results in some fantastic nationalist fan fiction, like the extraterrestrial Slav origin theory.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 12, 2019

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mokotow posted:

Lingual history is murky enough to be a potent base for nationalist lore building. It seems to play really well with extending the historic background of some european ethnicities over the 1000-year mark record keeping limitations impose on them. It results in some fantastic nationalist fan fiction, like the extraterrestrial Slav origin theory.

Do go on.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Zohar posted:

The Hungarian government really seems to just be ploughing straight into fascism in its rhetoric since the local elections last month. A week or so ago they unveiled a reconstruction of a monument to the victims of the Red Terror, originally built in 1934, and, well, just look at the event:

The text of the speech by (Speaker of Parliament) László Kövér on the occasion in Hungarian is here, here are some of my translations to give you an idea of the tone of the speech:

Hahahaha.

Didn't more people die in the white terror after the collapse of the Kun regime than in the red terror.

You love to see it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Start here:

https://www.eurozine.com/slavic-conspiracy-theories-as-non-scientific-historical-narratives/

The space Slavs are an off-shoot of the proto global Old Pagan Slav Gods civilization theory and oh god why do I even know this.

Also, Google Turbo Slavs. But, in case you don’t feel like it, the gist of it is that Slavs come from a pre-Sumerian, global civilization that seeded the rest of the world. In case you’re wondering why there are no signs of their glorious cities, it’s because they’re under the ice caps. Now, that civilization had to have come from somewhere, so obviously space Slavs must have been a thing.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 12, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Don't forget the Finno-Korean hyperwar that took place 10 thousand years ago.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I read a different dumb Slav theory some time ago. According to this theory, Slavs are original human race of Earth and every other human race is extraterrestrial. And of course, global Slav civilization already existed millions of years ago in pre-Cambrian era. And this is proven by an image of perfectly preserved corpse of some Slavic princess in a glass sarcophagus.

Except it's just screenshot from some older Snow White movie and nationalism is dumb, because it makes you believe in crap like this.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!
Not only have I never heard of those theories, I can't imagine the brainworms needed to genuinely believe in them.

On the other hand, keep going, I need to take some more notes for my next rpg world. :v:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Honestly those theories seem fun and I now believe them all

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dwesa posted:

I read a different dumb Slav theory some time ago. According to this theory, Slavs are original human race of Earth and every other human race is extraterrestrial. And of course, global Slav civilization already existed millions of years ago in pre-Cambrian era. And this is proven by an image of perfectly preserved corpse of some Slavic princess in a glass sarcophagus.

Isn't that Francis E Dec?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

wrong thread

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The MH17 JIT just published a poo poo load of new info, including evidence separatists in Ukraine were being controlled from the Kremlin. Obviously long suspected, but this is the clearest evidence yet:
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1194935231209508864
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1194936003074633730
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1194939204507250688
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1194940697528459264
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1194942343784345600
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1194956815521456130

Note that some of these are encrypted communications, so it appears the JIT had managed to crack the separatists secure communications, and we already know the SBU was recording every call made in Eastern Ukraine and have been reviewing them for years. All the calls published previously were on unsecured lines, so this is a huge deal, and a big problem for Russia.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 14, 2019

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Any response from Russia?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yep, it's entirely predictable

quote:

The Russian Foreign Ministry said on Thursday that the authenticity of phone intercepts which Dutch investigators said show Moscow’s influence over pro-Russian rebels accused of downing Malaysia Airlines flight MH-17 was not confirmed.

MH17 was shot out of the sky on July 17, 2014, over territory held by pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine as it flew from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur. All 298 passengers and crew died.

Dutch investigators released the phone intercepts earlier on Thursday.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova told a news briefing in Moscow that the world was awash with what she called fake news, making it vital to test the authenticity of such recordings.

This has given us a poo poo load to work on, we'll probably even do another episode of our MH17 podcast on this, lots to dig through.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I caught Aric tweets of this early this morning. Finally good there's some evidence to back up what people have known all along.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
This article, in Russian, has actual excerpts of the conversations

https://www.unian.net/politics/10755327-delo-mh17-jit-opublikovala-proslushki-v-kotoryh-figuriruyut-shoygu-i-surkov.html

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lmao!

quote:

'Now listen, we're going to have one bitch of an event here, heavy quotes, of state importance. We're going to install a government. So here's an order for you, or an advice. You keep your mouths shut, don't make any waves, if somebody calls you and asks for comments, you tell them you support it. This is a loving surprise for me from those Moscow cunts, a huge one. And you know who's going to be our prime minister?'

'Doesn't matter.'

'loving matters to me! Because it's loving me! gently caress that poo poo!'

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

quote:

áë**ü

lmbo

e: Welp I can't paste the Russian. Bl**t

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's a lot in the new calls that demonstrates there was fighting between separatists backed by the GRU and separatists backed by the FSB, to the point it appears actual FSB and GRU were fighting against each other in Ukraine. There were rumours of that, but this pretty much confirms it, and provides plenty of details that can be dug into to confirm it in more detail.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

These leaked phone calls are a treasure trove in many different ways.

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1195665804362231808

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

lol. This is all amazing.

Of course consequences are going to be minimal but it is nice to have all this poo poo out there in the open.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Russia is returning the ships
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-crisis-russia/russia-hands-back-captured-naval-ships-to-ukraine-before-summit-idUSKBN1XS13Z

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gotta wonder if they bugged the entire ship

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Why waste time wondering :thunk:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Would explain this, if someone's been looking for bugs in those toilets and couldn't reinstall them?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50501241

In other news, stumbled upon this article in English by a Ukrainian journalist focused on the Ukrainian side of Trump's impeachment hearings. There is a certain bias, so take it with a pinch of salt, but the article goes into some interesting details of more minor points of the case that often gets omitted in Western media.
https://volodymyrboyko.com/english/yovanovitchs-list/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.euractiv.com/section/defence-policy/interview/russias-eu-ambassador-the-fall-of-the-berlin-wall-was-a-victory-of-common-sense/

Russia’s Ambassador to the EU Vladimir Chizhov posted:

It’s good that there are people for whom Russian gas is more important than NATO.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Paladinus posted:

Would explain this, if someone's been looking for bugs in those toilets and couldn't reinstall them?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50501241

In other news, stumbled upon this article in English by a Ukrainian journalist focused on the Ukrainian side of Trump's impeachment hearings. There is a certain bias, so take it with a pinch of salt, but the article goes into some interesting details of more minor points of the case that often gets omitted in Western media.
https://volodymyrboyko.com/english/yovanovitchs-list/

They really should scrap or scuttle the loving things. Because they are comprimised assets. However doing so would be the biggest loss of material for the ukraimian navy since the Kursk but still.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

They really should scrap or scuttle the loving things. Because they are comprimised assets. However doing so would be the biggest loss of material for the ukraimian navy since the Kursk but still.

Uh, that was a russian submarine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Imports replacement is cool strategy and all, but this may turn out to be quite silly: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50507849

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The 6 year anniversary of Euromaidan was yesterday.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 22, 2019