Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Data Graham posted:

Now for the thread pool on insane new feature that nobody asked for and renders it a poo poo product

The 16" will have zero ports whatsoever and only charge wirelessly. If you want to use an external display it uses a form of sidecar technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The 16" will have zero ports whatsoever and only charge wirelessly. If you want to use an external display it uses a form of sidecar technology.

Its also waterproof to 6M

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Now for the thread pool on insane new feature that nobody asked for and renders it a poo poo product

touchscreen touchscreen touchscreen

*bangs clipboard on desk*

TOUCHSCREEN TOUCHSCREEN TOUCHSCREEN

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

We are probably ~3 years away from this being a real thing.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
F keys return but there's a new full-width spacebar that is now the Touch Bar. Also it's 3D touch and doesn't actually have mechanical action.

Also, a recess in the trackpad to accommodate the camera bump from the display. It was that or a notch.

Hello Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 12, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ON

GLASS

KEYBOARD

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TouchBar with LIQUID RETINA display

Yet another incompatible ThunderBolt standard

THE BEST MACBOOK PRO EVER

$1000 laptop stand

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Touchpad with a built in display
Touchbar where all the function keys are there but are also small screens, and each one has a security chip in it

In display fingerprint reader but no touch screen otherwise

Face unlock and no fingerprint reader

The metal chassis is filled with epoxy to prevent repairs, apple claims that it's there for thermal performance

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

In a dodge for profitability, all new Macs are rebadged Microsoft Surfaces, the ARM version, of course. Also, iPads will now be rebadged Amazon Fire tablets.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
ARM, 40 hour battery life, but it only runs iOS apps.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

A glass keyboard, but they're not like screens or anything, just glass keycaps.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I feel like Apple is definitely an evil genie.

Abracadabra you can have an insanely thin and powerful laptop

but it can only be serviced if you have a special rig! And NO LINUX

Alakazam these headphones would have been considered wild loving magic only ten years ago

but they die after three years and can’t really be recycled!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Bomb Bay door from the original MacBook Air returns, except it has three Thunderbolt ports, one speaker/mic port, and it's located under the front, not the side, and if you pull too hard on it all the guts of your laptop spill out like a pile of internal organs

and your monitor stops working

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Speaking of ridiculous fantasies I want a macbook the size of the old 17-inch but with an edge-to-edge screen. Apple could advertise its first 24-hour battery life laptop. Macbook Pro MAX.

But in the spirit of the above...

it only charges via wireless pad

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tuyop posted:

Alakazam these headphones would have been considered wild loving magic only ten years ago

but they die after three years and cant really be recycled!
your airpods made it past a year and a half?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

your airpods made it past a year and a half?

Coming up on 19 months now and they’re great! :ohdear:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same, my Airpods are doing just dandy at about the same age. Battery drains within about 2 hours on a phone call but they charge back up in like 5 minutes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I bought some for my wife for Christmas almost 2 years ago. One quit working and Apple replaced it, then another one hasn't been reliably working since summer.

Just got her the Airpods Pro or whatever last week but got Applecare this time

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

my main problem with my airpods is that sometimes the tap functionality does weird things. Every now and then instead of pausing audio/starting audio it'll open up the apple music app and start playing one of my downloaded albums.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The new MacBook will truly be a masterclass in industrial design, and a real work of art.

In a first-time partnership with MoMA, all 2020 MacBook Pros will actually be registered as permanent parts of the museum’s collection. Buyers will not own their computers outright, but instead lease them from the collection in two year increments. Any damage to a 2020 MacBook will incur a financial penalty concurrent with the appraised value of the work.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
16 inches, make the trackpad a display/wacom tablet.

100W battery again.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

16 inches, make the trackpad a display/wacom tablet.

100W battery again.

100w GaN USB-C charger is going to be nice.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

AppleInsider says the new 16-inch rMBP will come with a 96 watt AC adapter.

Coincidentally, guess what the Apple Pro Display XDR provides over its Thunderbolt / USB-C port:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Weird ... my (asset tagged, thank the lord) 2018 13" MBP with TouchBar is being a pain in the rear end. I got home and opened it to the login screen as usual, then the display went black but the computer is still on - the touchpad is still clicking. I tried holding the TouchID button down for 30+ seconds, nothing. When I plug in the charger, it doesn't make a chime. I can't seem to get any response out of the machine at all other than the fact the trackpad still clicks.

what do

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They dump intel but in a surprise twist it's not for their A2000 bionic chips

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Coincidentally, guess what the Apple Pro Display XDR provides over its Thunderbolt / USB-C port:

$6000 display with your $3000 laptop (yes, I know it makes total sense as a portable machine if you have a Mac Pro workstation, but I wonder if anybody’s just planning to pair the XDR with an MBP.

Or better yet, a Mac Mini. Or a MacBook Air. Just some 16 year old Saudi prince plugging his gold MacBook Air into a 6K screen to post on reddit, the poor machine barely keeping up.

eames
May 9, 2009

The only reason why I can laugh about the recent postings ITT is because my 2015 Retina still has AppleCare until mid 2021. That seems plenty of time to get acquainted with Linux. :smith:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Electric Bugaloo posted:

$6000 display with your $3000 laptop (yes, I know it makes total sense as a portable machine if you have a Mac Pro workstation, but I wonder if anybody’s just planning to pair the XDR with an MBP.

Or better yet, a Mac Mini. Or a MacBook Air. Just some 16 year old Saudi prince plugging his gold MacBook Air into a 6K screen to post on reddit, the poor machine barely keeping up.

i have a researcher at work who is using her LG VeryFine 5K as a primary display for her personal 2018 MBP 13" so almost certainly yes.

-she would have bought the pro display if it was out when we purchased
-she is refusing to buy the imac pro that she needs (doesn't need) because she REALLY wants the mac pro instead which she REALLY doesn't need.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 13, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
TBF if I was a grant-funded PI I would figure out whatever I needed to in order to finagle myself one of the new Mac Pros. One in the lab, hooked up to whatever vestigial scope package is left on MacOS (I’m only familiar with Zeiss/Zen which is windows only) and/or on compute duty, and one in my office. With wheels please :allears:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Don't even get me started on PIs and grant money. The ones I deal with have no problem justifying crazy hardware purchases but they'll refuse to pay for storage that meets the grant requirements (or our requirements for that matter).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Its also waterproof to 6M

If this happened I would actually be pretty tempted towards the thought of a port-less laptop.

Of course, the catch would be that the Sidecar adapter for monitors would be another $500.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Binary Badger posted:

Looks like the 5K display (which has been around for a couple years?) does 94 watt over USB-C.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

If this is what it takes to get a reasonable selection of ports I’m down

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

Don't even get me started on PIs and grant money. The ones I deal with have no problem justifying crazy hardware purchases but they'll refuse to pay for storage that meets the grant requirements (or our requirements for that matter).

because they just want the shiny toy, they all think of macs as shiny toys. half of the faculty at work request macs (i'd say our infrastructure is REALLY tuned toward windows, everything is smooth and seamless and automated on windows) and then need to be shown multiple times how to do simple tasks, like connect to a file share, or where their files are. we do not deploy junky windows PCs, which i know is sometimes the case that drives people toward macs. i5/i7 16gb and have been 100% SSD for 3 years.

As fun as it'll be to have a 96GB Mac Pro the minute they're available I'm not looking forward to supporting a $10,000 1st gen piece of apple h/w via... the apple store. We are limited self service but nobody is certified on these beasts and I'm not sure they will be. Other business units are 100% self service and that's fine, but we're a bit of a satellite campus

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 13, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Marco Arment has a hands-on post about the Macbook Pro 16"

https://marco.org/2019/11/13/mbp16

Hardware escape key
More key travel
Key spacing
Touchbar is still there
Inverted T arrow keys

Still has 4 USB-C/TB3 ports

Not much more details than that but there's info in a linked podcast on that page that I haven't listened to yet

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 13, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I guess we'll get an idea of the keyboard durability soon with how much he's jizzing over it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Apple press release:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/11/apple-introduces-16-inch-macbook-pro-the-worlds-best-pro-notebook/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Probably zero chance of an upgradeable SSD huh

The base config otherwise looks pretty decent.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Oh hey, a 512 GB SSD standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

article posted:

The biggest change is that I finally don’t feel like it’s constantly fighting me. Its design doesn’t feel spiteful. It’s a computer that doesn’t seem to hate being a computer. I’m not afraid to use it in the world, and I’m not avoiding using it because it’s unpleasant.

He is not afraid to use it in the world. Gentlemen, rejoice. Apple did it.

Seriously though, the PR looks promosing. Butterfly keyboard though with less travel than the 2015. 35% larger heatsink, 7nm Navi 14 GPU, 100 Wh battery.

fake edit: is the price the same as before? the "better" base config looks really good. it even has the full fat GPU, just with 4 instead of 8GB VRAM.