Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Prince Myshkin posted:

I think people were asking whether the image you posted was really from Hikvision, since it's so ineptly bigoted.

The image is IPVM’s creation, yeah. Sorry that that wasn’t clear enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Turns out the woman who was gangraped by HK police and had to have an abortion is in fact, a real person and not a made up rumour

https://twitter.com/sumlokkei/status/1193857368645226497

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Smeef posted:

Not gonna post it, because it’s disturbing, but a dude got doused in fuel and lit on fire today. There were a lot of people filming, and it’s been playing on TV all day, along with the video of the cop shooting the protestor. I think he was a counter-protestor confronting protestors.

He was attacking protestors in the MTR, literally chasing a whole group of them.

This is really the most disappointing thread in D&D. Didn't expect to see so many people licking the police boot.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kafka Esq. posted:

He was attacking protestors in the MTR, literally chasing a whole group of them.

This is really the most disappointing thread in D&D. Didn't expect to see so many people licking the police boot.

What the gently caress does that mean? Therefore burning people alive is justified?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

whatever7 posted:

What the gently caress does that mean? Therefore burning people alive is justified?

Is it really so different from throwing a molotov cocktail? I mean, we saw way worse in the Euromaidan protests. With people getting shot and run over by police (and more than likely faking suicides), yeah, I'm not really shedding a tear for a guy trying to attack some kids on their behalf. I mean, yeah, it's pretty wasted on some idiot old man, but the feigned outrage is really overbearing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Gotta hand it to the protesters, between the guy being set alight and Junius Ho's stabbing, they are beginning to get really good at committing crimes with someone recording them in close proximity

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

It’s possible to believe people have a right to protest without defending them burning someone alive. Attempting to justify actions like that discredits any other attempts to defend the protests. It doesn’t matter what that guy did, pouring fuel him and lighting it on fire is not an appropriate response. Unrest is necessary to force change, and violence sometimes is going to be a part of that, but there’s no need to step in and defend sadistic, inhuman behavior.

I don’t think anybody in this thread changed their minds about the protests because of that incident. The tankies and Chinese nationalists or whoever are still going to oppose the protests and most everyone else is still going to support them. Hopefully everyone together can oppose burning people alive.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 12, 2019

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Heithinn Grasida posted:

It’s possible to believe people have a right to protest without defending them burning someone alive. Attempting to justify actions like that discredits any other attempts to defend the protests. It doesn’t matter what that guy did, pouring fuel him and lighting it on fire is not an appropriate response. Unrest is necessary to force change, and violence sometimes is going to be a part of that, but there’s no need to step in and defend sadistic, inhuman behavior.

Alright, alright, jeez. I shall make the appropriate obeisance to the idiot's right to not be set on fire. He's still an idiot that attacked and chased people on behalf of the folks gunning people down in the street.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Kafka Esq. posted:

Alright, alright, jeez. I shall make the appropriate obeisance to the idiot's right to not be set on fire. He's still an idiot that attacked and chased people on behalf of the folks gunning people down in the street.

if you're going to make a pretend apology for your justification of burning someone alive, you could at least not end it with another justification for burning someone alive

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Just trying to keep the focus on the pro-democracy movement, and not the wannabe brownshirts.

Y'all are awfully concerned about appearances in a losing war against a genocidal nation.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Kafka Esq. posted:

Kafka Esq. posted:

Is it really so different from throwing a molotov cocktail? I mean, we saw way worse in the Euromaidan protests. With people getting shot and run over by police (and more than likely faking suicides), yeah, I'm not really shedding a tear for a guy trying to attack some kids on their behalf. I mean, yeah, it's pretty wasted on some idiot old man, but the feigned outrage is really overbearing.

Are you suggesting that I'm licking the police boot or shedding tears for the human torch by making a matter-of-fact post about a video of a guy being lit on fire — a video which features zero police and would be disturbing regardless of context?

Have you seen the video? No one is being chased or attacked. They're standing face to face. There are a handful of people around the guy. The guy is not the Terminator. He's a scrawny rear end old man. It looks tense, sure, but there's no violent struggle. Then someone steps up and douses him in fuel. Then sparks it.

I'm all for knocking assholes out. They could have knocked him the gently caress out, D Bo style. I'm not pro-PRC. I'm not pro-HK gov't or pro-police. I'm not some decorum-loving centrist.

Lighting people on fire does not help the protestors' cause.

Smeef fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 12, 2019

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

You're seriously going to tsk and say "well, I would have one-punched him"?

Guy attacks the same people in the MTR in a different video, then he chases them down and screams at them that they aren't Chinese. Hours after his chosen side shot two people, and that's hardly even the worst of it. Gang rape, broken bones, lost eyes, probably tons of murders, disappeared people.

It's telling that everyone thinks that this is some kind of PR coup for the bad guys.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
It's one thing to denounce setting people on fire as a solution to anything, but just because the video doesn't show the context of what happened beforehand doesn't mean the old guy is completely innocent in this matter

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kafka Esq. posted:

Guy attacks the same people in the MTR in a different video, then he chases them down and screams at them that they aren't Chinese. Hours after his chosen side shot two people, and that's hardly even the worst of it. Gang rape, broken bones, lost eyes, probably tons of murders, disappeared people.

It's telling that everyone thinks that this is some kind of PR coup for the bad guys.

Guy could vwey well be dead tomorrow. I am just leaving your quote here justifying killing someone, in the worst way possible. And you are too dense to know what's the issue. Are HK radical all this dense?

I defended the police who shot the 2 guys who tried to take his gun too. Would you burn me if I argue with you face to face?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

whatever7 posted:

Guy could vwey well be dead tomorrow. I am just leaving your quote here justifying killing someone, in the worst way possible. And you are too dense to know what's the issue. Are HK radical all this dense?

I defended the police who shot the 2 guys who tried to take his gun too. Would you burn me if I argue with you face to face?

You were literally wishing violence on the people of Hong Kong what, a couple months ago? Like, everyone called you out on it, you kept at it.

Of all the people to say that, you're the last one who it would make any sense coming from.

I don't even think it's ok to torch the guy. But when it's the side you don't like to suddenly change everything you believe is such bullshit.

You know you're completely full of poo poo, right tino?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
There are some images of the man walking around with burns afterwards, the news says he is still in ICU with 44% burns, with CGTN explicitly stating he is in a coma. Haven't found a second source to corroborate that info though. :nms: warning for burn victim:

https://twitter.com/Standwi87591738/status/1193920696998486016?s=19

BrainDance posted:

Lol, like you don't think it's telling that these guys love to harp on about a poor innocent old man and completely ignore rape allegations, dead kids, pregnant woman being pepper sprayed and multiple cases of eyes bring destroyed by the Hong Kong Police Force

Kill All Cops fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 12, 2019

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Kafka Esq. posted:

Please show me where I said that I would have punched anyone.

It really seems like you're unable to criticize your own side, which is not a good habit. You do realize it's possible to be pro-HK democracy, anti-police brutality, etc., etc., and not pro-burning people alive?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Kill All Cops posted:

It's one thing to denounce setting people on fire as a solution to anything, but just because the video doesn't show the context of what happened beforehand doesn't mean the old guy is completely innocent in this matter

The guy who got set on fire was no angel.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Prince Myshkin posted:

The guy who got set on fire was no angel.

Smeef posted:

Have you seen the video? No one is being chased or attacked. They're standing face to face. There are a handful of people around the guy. The guy is not the Terminator. He's a scrawny rear end old man. It looks tense, sure, but there's no violent struggle. Then someone steps up and douses him in fuel. Then sparks it.

The guy who got set on fire was doing nothing wrong, because the video I watched was the whole encounter and nothing could've have possibly happened before that

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Kill All Cops posted:

The guy who got set on fire was doing nothing wrong, because the video I watched was the whole encounter and nothing could've have possibly happened before that

No, you're right. He really must have done something to justify getting burned alive.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpzJ-AUVnl0

This video is deceptively edited. We need to know the full story

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Thanks for reminding me that he was burned alive. My opinions on the protest have now shifted 180 degrees and now I must condemn protesters and talk about what a tragedy this is for the poor innocent old man because to be seen otherwise must mean I support and justify arson on human beings. Please support the Hong Kong Police and their brave actions on peacefully pacifying kids and pregnant women.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BrainDance posted:

You were literally wishing violence on the people of Hong Kong what, a couple months ago? Like, everyone called you out on it, you kept at it.

Of all the people to say that, you're the last one who it would make any sense coming from.

I don't even think it's ok to torch the guy. But when it's the side you don't like to suddenly change everything you believe is such bullshit.

I said to a HK goon "I won't feel sorry for you when poo poo hits the fans." not "I hope you get stabbed or torched to death like Joan of Arc".

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

whatever7 posted:

I said to a HK goon "I won't feel sorry for you when poo poo hits the fans." not "I hope you get stabbed or torched to death like Joan of Arc".

You're giving aid and comfort to the brown shirts.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

whatever7 posted:

What exactly do you think would happen if the poo poo hit the fan? Is being run over by a tank a better fate than being stabbed? You were also being quite ghoulish.

Kill All Cops posted:

Thanks for reminding me that he was burned alive. My opinions on the protest have now shifted 180 degrees and now I must condemn protesters and talk about what a tragedy this is for the poor innocent old man because to be seen otherwise must mean I support and justify arson on human beings. Please support the Hong Kong Police and their brave actions on peacefully pacifying kids and pregnant women.

Nobody's opinions have shifted at all. There's no reason to be afraid that if you condemn a wanton act of sadistic cruelty, even if it was perpetrated by the people on "your side", that people will stop supporting the protests. Not burning people alive is a pretty low bar to clear. Saying that doing something like that is bad doesn't make you a cop or a boot licker. Condemning barbaric behavior helps the protests and supporting it harms them.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Kill All Cops posted:

No one said it should change your allegiances.

No one said you should condemn protestors or lament the guy who got burned.

No one said any of this bullshit you are making up.

It is perfectly reasonable to say “holy poo poo that’s crazy. They should not have lit that dude on fire” and still be pro-HK democracy and anti-police brutality.

If you think there should be more attention to other attacks, there are way more effective ways of making that argument than trying to play down the fire attack (or whatever it was you were trying to do).

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Much like the venezuelan opposition, HK rioters enjoy setting people on fire. And like the venezuelan opposition, they will come up with any number of fake crimes to smear the victim of an attempting murder.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Heithinn Grasida posted:

What exactly do you think would happen if the poo poo hit the fan? Is being run over by a tank a better fate than being stabbed? You were also being quite ghoulish.

No I root for the collapse of the real estate market. I stand firm on this subject and I will not back pedal.

The so called "sending in the tank" scenario only the ignorant HKers expect it and frankly wishing for it, the whole world outside of HK know its not going to happen. You know why I get so much hate on these threads? because I said (back in May, June) HKers didn't understand how geopolitics work and they took offense of it.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Smeef posted:

No one said it should change your allegiances.

No one said you should condemn protestors or lament the guy who got burned.

No one said any of this bullshit you are making up.

It is perfectly reasonable to say “holy poo poo that’s crazy. They should not have lit that dude on fire” and still be pro-HK democracy and anti-police brutality.

If you think there should be more attention to other attacks, there are way more effective ways of making that argument than trying to play down the fire attack (or whatever it was you were trying to do).

I was replying to the poster who was said that, in the video, no one was being chased or attacked, that there was no violent struggle, and all of a sudden the scrawny rear end old man was randomly doused alive.

I was making a point that setting people on fire is a bad thing, and what happened to him was not justified.

I was also saying that it wasn't random, and just because he doesn't look physically threatening or that there was no immediate video of him attacking people, that there were reports of him being physically violent that led to that situation.

The result for trying to correct that poster in regards to what happened: I'm a supporter of arson on human beings.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Kill All Cops posted:

I was replying to the poster who was said that, in the video, no one was being chased or attacked, that there was no violent struggle, and all of a sudden the scrawny rear end old man was randomly doused alive.

I was making a point that setting people on fire is a bad thing, and what happened to him was not justified.

I was also saying that it wasn't random, and just because he doesn't look physically threatening or that there was no immediate video of him attacking people, that there were reports of him being physically violent that led to that situation.

The result for trying to correct that poster in regards to what happened: I'm a supporter of arson on human beings.

Looks it’s been made quite clear in this thread that Hk rioters understanding of freedom and democracy is that if you don’t agree with them they have the right to loot, destroy, and burn you and your property because that’s democracy. If the authorities respond in anyway to curtail this they scream bloody murder and atrocity to try to garner sympathy.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Reminds me of when Ukrainian nazis burned people alive by trapping them in a building and setting fire to it during Euromaidan and goons were defending it because "freedom and democracy".
Or when the Venezuelan opposition lynched a black man by setting him on fire alive and it was OK because "racism doesn't exist in Venezuela".

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Looks it’s been made quite clear in this thread that Hk rioters understanding of freedom and democracy is that if you don’t agree with them they have the right to loot, destroy, and burn you and your property because that’s democracy. If the authorities respond in anyway to curtail this they scream bloody murder and atrocity to try to garner sympathy.

Oh no! Not the property!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, I don't know if the methodology is an issue of its own (plenty of revolutions are violent/Fanon), but that it is still unclear what the motives of the movement are beyond "democracy" rather than what would be brought by democracy. Usually, there are broader social and economic demands to a movement and in this case, beyond localism tinged with a significant amount of xenophobia, the demands outside elections (which are a conduit of power more than an end-goal themselves).

The issue is violence always acceptable regardless of the motives of a movement? In the case of the Bolsheviks, they knocked over banks among other acts before the revolution, but they also had clear goals.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Bloodnose posted:

Oh no! Not the property!

oh no! Tear gas!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

Oh no! Not the property!

no but you see socialism is when the bourgeoisie owns private property and lords it over the proletariat, hence why it's bad and anti-socialist that Hong Kong wants its independence from China

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

Venomous posted:

no but you see socialism is when the bourgeoisie owns private property and lords it over the proletariat, hence why it's bad and anti-socialist that Hong Kong wants its independence from China
Can people stop with this disingenuous stuff? The HK protesters are nowhere near socialist in any way shape or form no matter how you try to twist things, and absolutely no one, least of all the chinese government, is making any claim that HK currently has a socialist system.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Is there a good source for news on this that doesn't dwell on semantics, individual incidents or tit for tat stuff? This thread used to be great for big picture stuff. Major media outlets seem to have tuned out.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Bob le Moche posted:

Can people stop with this disingenuous stuff? The HK protesters are nowhere near socialist in any way shape or form no matter how you try to twist things, and absolutely no one, least of all the chinese government, is making any claim that HK currently has a socialist system.

I wasn't talking about the protestors, I was talking poo poo about Something Awful Forums Poster GlassEye-Boy's liberal handwringing about ~property damage~ as though it's a good reason to condemn the Hong Kong protestors for fighting against the PRC and not exactly the kind of :decorum: bullshit that western capitalists say to condemn leftist protestors

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Man another regime running people over with tanks justifed by tankies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Did anyone get run over by a tank?
Because we were talking about someone who actually got burned alive for real, not some made-up poo poo