Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
They'll have plenty of time to refine those gymnastics as they wait for their founders edition to show up past launch date while waiting for games to play on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They could figure out a way to monetize it. F2P games are a perfect fit for a platform like this - if the Stadia is in the market for people who want to avoid the high initial cost of a console or PC, they're also going to want something to play on it for free. And right now that's just Destiny 2.

Apparently there WILL be other games released for free for Pro subscribers, as it's being marketed as a subscription service in the vein of PS+, but seriously, they could have gotten a few F2P games in there, like maybe Dauntless or Warframe or World of whatevers.
F2P games are built on soaking a small number of whales to subsidize the overwhelming majority of players who pay nothing. This works for them because the marginal cost of each player is quite low. Google Stadia's cost per user is much higher. It'll probably use 10Gb/hour for 1080p on top of needing significant processing resources per player. They would need to charge a lot more per month (I would guess $30+/month) if they weren't also selling the games at full retail.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
They $60 upfront cost quickly gets amortized away, though, if the game has longevity. Like, if I buy a stadia and RdR2 and play online, I'm basically a freemium player within a couple months. I imagine that the whale economics of freemium would work equally well for Google taking a cut of the microtransactions, no?

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
It's pretty shocking that they don't have a robust subscription service for a set amount of games. Steam is truly an outlier because they got to the digital market first, but everyone else:
Xbox Live Gold
EA Origin Access
PS Plus
UPlay+

While Google is over here expecting you to leap before you look with no loving safety net.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gobbeldygook posted:

A core part of their business plan is that they're selling customers games AND the hardware to run them, people playing F2P games would cost them a lot of money even if Google was getting a cut of player spending.

GeForce Now lets you play Fortnite 100% for free right now and has for at least several months, and I have a hunch Google has more money than Nvidia.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Speaking of, here's the launch list.

Launch List:
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
Destiny 2: The Collection
Gylt
Just Dance 2020
Kine
Mortal Kombat 11
Red Dead Redemption 2
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Samurai Shodown
Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Thumper
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah that being posted on the last page is what sparked this discussion.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

univbee posted:

GeForce Now lets you play Fortnite 100% for free right now and has for at least several months, and I have a hunch Google has more money than Nvidia.
True, but they don't plan to let you do so for free indefinitely and they're still restricting user growth. I've started to encounter short queue times on GeForce Now during prime time. I predict when they leave beta they'll charge a minimum of $20/month and wouldn't be surprised by $30.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Mumbling posted:

The mental gymnastics redditors are doing to justify buying the founders edition is astounding.

This is one of those scenarios where I think a product MUST be good because people wouldn’t just throw away their money for no reason, right? And then the it flops and I wonder why I had any doubts.

idk maybe if I had badass connections everywhere and was a Destiny 2 diehard who wanted to play on the road?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Intel&Sebastian posted:

idk maybe if I had badass connections everywhere and was a Destiny 2 diehard who wanted to play on the road?

I just feel bad for them, because I really doubt the dodgy wifi connections at most hotels and cafes are going to be sufficient for Stadia :/

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Should put you on some kind of list imo.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Nice hotels used to have ethernet hookups in every room, but now if they're even there they're generally disabled.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I bought the 100 dollar version of D2 at launch and I have never been more disappointed by a game. I was downright offended at the first season pass DLC's for D2.

I never even really played D1, I just assumed they were going to take the "we eventually made this good" end-state of D1 and make into the starting point for D2 but lol, no. They are dicks and decided the best way to make money was to go through the entire cycle of "empty and bad for a year, ok now it's alright" again.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 11, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's actually pretty good now. They got rid of character levels (finally, don't know why those were still there) so all content is scaled to everyone now. But yeah, honestly, there's no reason all of Destiny 1's content couldn't be included with Destiny 2, it's practically the same game.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mumbling posted:

The mental gymnastics redditors are doing to justify buying the founders edition is astounding.

This is one of those scenarios where I think a product MUST be good because people wouldn’t just throw away their money for no reason, right? And then the it flops and I wonder why I had any doubts.

Remember that, to a T, redditors are absolute loving morons.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

What I find extra-weird about the 12 launch titles is that 14 more are being added in "2019", which if they're not using some bullshit definition of 2019 means the system's library is going to more than double (not saying much) within a little over a month. Maybe trying to spread out the load?

Anyway, here's the breakdown which I also edited into the OP.

Available 2019

Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle
Borderlands 3 (the game has a timed event ending December 5th, I could see them not launching until that's done at least to avoid issues)
Darksiders Genesis
Dragonball Xenoverse 2
Farming Simulator 19 Platinum Edition
Final Fantasy XV
Football Manager 2020 (Enhanced for Stadia)
GRID
Metro Exodus
NBA 2K20
Rage 2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (available via uPlay+)
Trials Rising (available via uPlay+)
Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Other planned titles for 2020

Doom (2016) (possibly going to launch alongside Eternal in March? Just a guess)
Baldur's Gate 3
Cyberpunk 2077 (game is officially out April 16th)
Destroy All Humans!
Doom Eternal (delayed to March 2020)
Get Packed (Exclusive to Stadia)
Kine
Orcs Must Die! 3 (Stadia Timed Exclusive)
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
Superhot
The Crew 2
The Elder Scrolls Online
Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (available via uPlay+)
Watch Dogs: Legion (available via uPlay+, has now been delayed to at least July 2020 on all platforms)
Windjammers 2

univbee fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 12, 2019

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Man I wish I could get a Geforce Now beta invite, it sounds way better.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

They'll have to have something included with Stadia Base, something F2P I guess, when it comes out.

No one is going to buy a game on the service without some way to demo the latency and general stability of the platform first.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The bandwidth costs are significantly higher for Google than they are for other console manufacturers since the rendering and processing hardware isn't actually in the box people buy. If they allow F2P stuff on Stadia Base the business model simply won't add up*, even with them taking a cut of all microtransactions. There would have to be ads. Lots of them.

* In their eyes - it would possibly be sustainable but as we all know, "sustainable" isn't a word in Google's dictionary

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

ErrEff posted:

The bandwidth costs are significantly higher for Google than they are for other console manufacturers since the rendering and processing hardware isn't actually in the box people buy. If they allow F2P stuff on Stadia Base the business model simply won't add up*, even with them taking a cut of all microtransactions. There would have to be ads. Lots of them.

* In their eyes - it would possibly be sustainable but as we all know, "sustainable" isn't a word in Google's dictionary

BOSS FIGHT WILL CONTINUE AFTER THIS AD.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I think the only customer who bought an unskippable 1:30 advertisement from Google on Youtube was the Italian Government about Expo 2015, could see them doing the same for the Milan Winter Olympics on Stadia.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

("mi LAN" is Italian for "my internet")

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Wow that opening line up of games is pathetic, nobody is buying a console for any of those games. If those games were all free with the system I wouldn't buy it... Ridiculous. I'm amazed that they are launching without any kind of exclusivity on anything.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Game released in 2018
Game released in 2017 (the only one you get for free by subscribing, and even then, it's just the expansion content for a FTP game)
New Stadia exclusive indie game
New game that is already on everything else
New indie game
Game released in March
Game released in 2018 and just recently on PC
Game released in 2015 (in the same series as 2 other games on this list)
Game released in June
Game released in 2018 (in the same series as 2 other games on this list)
Game released in 2016
Game released in 2013 (in the same series as 2 other games on this list)

Can't wait to not play games because who knows when all the preorders will ship play old games the latest and greatest games!

Actually Samurai Shodown isn't out on PC yet. And has no release date. It's entirely possible that one is a Stadia Exclusive. A fighting game.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
At this point they only need a repeat of this ad and it's pretty much OUYA 2. Just have the guy puking because it takes forever to download a game to his console and you're set.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lodin posted:

At this point they only need a repeat of this ad and it's pretty much OUYA 2. Just have the guy puking because it takes forever to download a game to his console and you're set.

This is what I do while waiting for games to install and patch.

Anyway at this point I suspect it's going to be "put up or shut up" for Stadia on the 19th. If it can actually run Red Dead Redemption 2 at something resembling 4K60 and do similarly for other beast games that could buy them a shot in the arm, especially since the "console" side of it is free or close to it if you have a computer. Generally speaking, gamers as a whole are some of the most exploitable spenders, like a tiny step below weebs who live near Akihabara, and audiophiles who spend five figures on a foot of cable; throwing money at games that Google can theoretically abscond with isn't going to dissuade most people any more than current digital purchases do. But if DigitalFoundry and others do side-by-side comparisons with the Xbox One X and it's not massively better (hell, it could even be massively worse with the image compression and input lag) then it's done, especially with the new consoles around the corner.

One week!

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 12, 2019

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

univbee posted:

But if DigitalFoundry and others do side-by-side comparisons with the Xbox One X and it's not massively better (hell, it could even be massively worse with the image compression and input lag) then it's done, especially with the new consoles around the corner.

I think you are massively underestimating the irrationality of consumers (see also: Musk, Elon).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

gschmidl posted:

I think you are massively underestimating the irrationality of consumers (see also: Musk, Elon).

That's fair but I don't know if Google has that sort of pull with the gamer crowd. Irrationality works both ways.

Looking forward to next week, whatever happens.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

univbee posted:

This is what I do while waiting for games to install and patch.

Anyway at this point I suspect it's going to be "put up or shut up" for Stadia on the 19th. If it can actually run Red Dead Redemption 2 at something resembling 4K60 and do similarly for other beast games that could buy them a shot in the arm, especially since the "console" side of it is free or close to it if you have a computer. Generally speaking, gamers as a whole are some of the most exploitable spenders, like a tiny step below weebs who live near Akihabara, and audiophiles who spend five figures on a foot of cable; throwing money at games that Google can theoretically abscond with isn't going to dissuade most people any more than current digital purchases do. But if DigitalFoundry and others do side-by-side comparisons with the Xbox One X and it's not massively better (hell, it could even be massively worse with the image compression and input lag) then it's done, especially with the new consoles around the corner.

One week!

Also RDR2 controls like poo poo as is so what harm can some extra input lag do

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

univbee posted:

But if DigitalFoundry and others do side-by-side comparisons with the Xbox One X and it's not massively better (hell, it could even be massively worse with the image compression and input lag) then it's done, especially with the new consoles around the corner.

This is exactly what I'm waiting for. It'll be really interesting to see what they say.

I'm sceptical because it's not like Stadia can just throw more computing power at a game whenever they want. The game still runs on an individual container that equates to a high-end, but not that high-end, gaming PC.

And given that people are struggling to run RDR2 in 4K at max settings even on insanely powerful PCs, I assume Stadia is going to have to compromise a lot on graphical quality to hit 4K at 60fps.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Andrast posted:

Also RDR2 controls like poo poo as is so what harm can some extra input lag do

Have you ever tried playing a game with significant input lag on a TV with even more input lag? It goes from muddy to literally unplayable.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The risk of launching this thing with games that are either rhythm based or heavily reliant on accurate input is crazy to me. From the day they announced MK11 coming out on Stadia I was dubious. How would something like that even work in a scenario where one person has a great connection to the Stadia server and the other doesn't? If it was anything but Stadia I'd say it's a calculated risk they know they can achieve to prove the platform works but there's no loving way MK11 will work on this thing as consistently as a fighting game has to be. Thumper sounds nightmarish too, I tried playing that thing in my living room through Steamlink and it was impossible.

Edit: Also, Lol @ 1/4 of the launch titles being Tomb Raider games.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 12, 2019

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Flayer posted:

Wow that opening line up of games is pathetic, nobody is buying a console for any of those games. If those games were all free with the system I wouldn't buy it... Ridiculous. I'm amazed that they are launching without any kind of exclusivity on anything.

They have the exclusivity as being laughed off at an "high-profile" launch lineup and proposition that is even worse than the xbox one.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

limaCAT posted:

BOSS FIGHT WILL CONTINUE AFTER THIS AD.

*Stands up from couch, holds hands high above head*

"McDonalds!!!"

*Sits back down and resumes video game*

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

explosivo posted:

The risk of launching this thing with games that are either rhythm based or heavily reliant on accurate input is crazy to me. From the day they announced MK11 coming out on Stadia I was dubious. How would something like that even work in a scenario where one person has a great connection to the Stadia server and the other doesn't? If it was anything but Stadia I'd say it's a calculated risk they know they can achieve to prove the platform works but there's no loving way MK11 will work on this thing as consistently as a fighting game has to be. Thumper sounds nightmarish too, I tried playing that thing in my living room through Steamlink and it was impossible.

Don't worry, the pre-cog AI will press the buttons for you.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tetrabor posted:

Don't worry, the pre-cog AI will press the buttons for you.

*starts Mass Effect Andromeda*

*AI immediately quits*

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Didn’t someone say that it would be the streams that are 4K, not necessarily the games themselves?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

leftist heap posted:

Didn’t someone say that it would be the streams that are 4K, not necessarily the games themselves?

I don't know that that's been confirmed, but it's definitely likely, especially since a stream will probably weaken the quality anyway. Also while we're making Xbox One comparisons I remember a tweet, possibly from an official account (or at least one of a games journalist), insisting that the Xbox One would always output 1080p and densely disregarding the point of the argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

leftist heap posted:

I think you're thinking of the FPS. According to Google, all games on Stadia support 4k, but they don't all support 60fps - many are locked at 30fps. In those cases, the stream is still 60fps, but it transmits some frames twice.