Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you want a good wall-outlet powered one, you really need to move out of "inflator" and into "compressor" territory.

Alternatively, look at higher end 12V inflators that have battery clamps instead of a lighter socket - Viair and the like.

Echoing Viair, I've got a VIAIR 90P Portable Compressor and it's an easy hookup to the battery terminals on your car and goes quite fast. It's slightly more annoying versus an at home compressor setup I'm sure but the portability is a nice bonus if you're only going to own one thing and I keep it in my car for roadside emergency use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also you don't need a huge compressor or anything. My teeny tiny senco 1 gal does a fine job filling normal tires. It's also small/light enough that it's easy to carry around wherever. I have a Viair pump I like pretty well, but it's easier and faster with the baby compressor.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I already have Ryobi stuff and bought this for 20 dollarydos when on sale. Works great for bikes and cars, but takes a bit on car tires. Good option on the off chance you already have the batteries. Super portable and I sold my compressor outright when I had this and a decent cordless impact.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Thanks for all the replies. I found a small Campbell Hausfeld model with a 1.3 gal tank and it’s only 29lbs.

https://www.campbellhausfeld.com/air-compressor-1-gallon-suitcase-lightweight-quiet-dc010500.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mr. Apollo posted:

Thanks for all the replies. I found a small Campbell Hausfeld model with a 1.3 gal tank and it’s only 29lbs.

https://www.campbellhausfeld.com/air-compressor-1-gallon-suitcase-lightweight-quiet-dc010500.html

For 5 pounds heavier, and a lot less $$$, you could get a pancake compressor. I got my cheapo Husky for like $50. It's loud and slow, but works. In fact, it's in my kitchen right now, I just got done installing a pantry door and used it to run the finish nailer.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This Kobalt hot dog compressor is cheaper, lighter, and produces more air flow while only slightly louder than that CH model if you're getting a 120v compressor. I can say from personal experience that it's a hell of a deal and a much better compressor than the ubiquitous Porter Cable pancake compressor that I had previously.

I will say however, that the Vlair 12v inflators work very well and I would have one of those over a 120v compressor if you're only using it to fill tires - because of the portability. I like having an inflator in the trunk on a road trip.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sorry, weird refresh repost.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 2, 2019

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
If you're strictly looking for a 120v inflator, I tend to like this Kobalt unit. I've used it a number of times and it works really well for smaller jobs like "lawn tractor sitting on rim" so I'd imagine it would be passable for a car tire. It certainly works better than the standard "Roadside Emergency Kit" inflator that has a duty cycle of half a tire.

Plus the Kobalt has spoiled me and I keep trying to think up a way to cobble something together to put on the end of the air line in my garage that would let me key in a pressure and then just inflate a tire before shutting off.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

I already have Ryobi stuff and bought this for 20 dollarydos when on sale. Works great for bikes and cars, but takes a bit on car tires. Good option on the off chance you already have the batteries. Super portable and I sold my compressor outright when I had this and a decent cordless impact.

this is the correct answer and I use it all the time

it owns for being only 20 bucks.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have a small portable unit for my cars with some of that “tire slime” stuff for emergency repairs. I just want something a bit more powerful for home use. I’ll take a look at the Husky and Kobalt units.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Just to throw it out there - since it sounds like you're going to buy a compact compressor just to fill tires, and honestly inflating things and running air nailers is about all that size compressor is good for - it is possible to fill a car tire with a bicycle pump (the kind you stand on and pump with both hands.)

Not sure what your standard for "takes forever to fill" is but outside of massive offroad tires most passenger-vehicle size tires can be filled in about five minutes. Yeah, there's a bit of work involved but you're looking at about 1/10th the cost.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Geoj posted:

Just to throw it out there - since it sounds like you're going to buy a compact compressor just to fill tires, and honestly inflating things and running air nailers is about all that size compressor is good for - it is possible to fill a car tire with a bicycle pump (the kind you stand on and pump with both hands.)

Not sure what your standard for "takes forever to fill" is but outside of massive offroad tires most passenger-vehicle size tires can be filled in about five minutes. Yeah, there's a bit of work involved but you're looking at about 1/10th the cost.
Yeah, it’s only going to be used to fill tires. I appreciate the bicycle pump suggestion, but it’s actually for my parents and with their arthritis a bicycle pump probably won’t be the most popular idea. ;)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/2603600011

wera on sale today on amazon

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

As far as the warranty on these goes, is it :shrug:? Is it any better going through KCToolCo?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nitsuga posted:

As far as the warranty on these goes, is it :shrug:? Is it any better going through KCToolCo?

Wera is warrantied through their importer. I had a couple screwdrivers I bought on eBay replaced with no issues.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Wera is warrantied through their importer. I had a couple screwdrivers I bought on eBay replaced with no issues.

Did you go straight to Wera? What was the turnaround time?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nitsuga posted:

Did you go straight to Wera? What was the turnaround time?

Yup, info@weratools.com

10 day turnaround from when I sent it out. Pretty impressive, really.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Yup, info@weratools.com

Cool! Are they as lenient as Harbor Freight? Screwdrivers lead me to believe so. Eyeing up a KOLOSS ratchet, so it’d definitely take a bit of a beating.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 11, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

meatpimp posted:

Yup, info@weratools.com

Dear company,

This right here is how you run a company and create loyalty.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Also in meatpimp's positive experience file is the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 6 1/2" circular saw. Great size for demo work. I've cut up multiple door frames, soffits, and even a 1960s console radio and that thing just buzzes right through stuff. So much faster and easier than a sawzall for thicker wood. The only issue I've had is that I'll run through a 5.0 Red battery in about 25-30 minutes, but by then my arm is tired anyway.

I was worried about the smaller blade, but even cutting through 2x12 it's got enough power to get through.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

meatpimp posted:

Yup, info@weratools.com

That's faster than KCTool. They shipped to the wrong address, I told them, waited a good 10 days, then contacted them again about it. They finally sent a second shipment to the correct address. They were going to wait to see if the wrong address folks were going to contact them or not.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

meatpimp posted:

Also in meatpimp's positive experience file is the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 6 1/2" circular saw. Great size for demo work. I've cut up multiple door frames, soffits, and even a 1960s console radio and that thing just buzzes right through stuff. So much faster and easier than a sawzall for thicker wood. The only issue I've had is that I'll run through a 5.0 Red battery in about 25-30 minutes, but by then my arm is tired anyway.

I was worried about the smaller blade, but even cutting through 2x12 it's got enough power to get through.

Just wanted to second this. It is my go to circular saw for most stuff.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Also: The new Milwaukee M18 worm drive 2830-20 is incredible and has a massive amount of power. Happily rips full 2" thick hardwood.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hypnolobster posted:

Also: The new Milwaukee M18 worm drive 2830-20 is incredible and has a massive amount of power. Happily rips full 2" thick hardwood.

I just bought a house and am on Milwaukee so, good to know.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Milwaukee M12 Tire Inflator and 4.0 battery for $99 with free shipping. I got one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mwt-2475-21xc

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Milwaukee M12 Tire Inflator and 4.0 battery for $99 with free shipping. I got one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mwt-2475-21xc

I needed this exact thing! Thanks!

Heads up they are back ordered now

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Where can I buy an East Penn manufactured battery car quest went belly up. For a car

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Sam's Club sells Duracell-branded East Penn. That's all I know, otherwise you'd have to track down a Deka automotive seller. They've got a search form on their website, but I'm pretty sure it's for distributors, not retailers.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Batteries plus also sells duracell brand. Walmart only has exide brand ones now. stupid winter

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oreilly auto sells deka/east penn batteries as their in house super start brand east of the Mississippi. If it doesn't have a J at the end of the part number, its east penn. If it does have a J at the end of the part number, its a johnson controls battery.

Also, ac delco and motorcraft batteries are made by east penn/deka.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJucq549ASI

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Sorry if I'm spoiling anyone's AISS, but:

https://toolguyd.com/kincrome-emergency-spare-10mm-socket/

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lol. loving awesome.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Who was looking for a tire inflator? Acme tools has Milwaukeee's cordless M12 on sale for $99. https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/milwaukee-2475-20t

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What do you figure wouid be the best way to get ingots out of wheel weights? the sticky weights have that foam tape backing

Should i soak them in something to peel the junk off, or just cook it and skim the junk off the top?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

What do you figure wouid be the best way to get ingots out of wheel weights? the sticky weights have that foam tape backing

Should i soak them in something to peel the junk off, or just cook it and skim the junk off the top?

Grab them with a pair of pliers and twist. They will come away from the adhesive. Then clean the adhesive with judicious application of Goo Gone.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Powershift posted:

Most of it burns off in the melted lead, the rest will float and can be skimmed off. The bigger issue is zinc weights getting mixed in.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

Most of it burns off in the melted lead, the rest will float and can be skimmed off. The bigger issue is zinc weights getting mixed in.

I just watched a video on that, and holy poo poo i do not feel like sitting and sorting wheel weights. I've got 2 full home depot buckets to go through.

I'm filling a bat and making a ballast with the rest, so i can't imagine a little zinc getting in there would be too much trouble. I just want to be careful not to chemically brain myself here.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ultrasonic cleaner? i just bought one but i have yet to try it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Frank Dillinger posted:

poo poo, I misread.