Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

I've gotten more enthusiastic about CK2 and in turn CK3 recently, though it certainly wasn't because of PDXcon, which other people who attended have listed the problems with in here. CK2 itself still just has a really nice loop going and if they can maintain that for CK3 I think the particularities of holding distribution aren't going to matter that much re: enjoyment of the game. Really hoping they build it to be as mod-friendly as possible, though it being a paradox game I'd have to imagine they will.

I'd be remiss to post in here about how fun Crusader Kings is and not mention what got me back into it most recently: Hashim's current LP in Let's Play, where a bunch of folks are running the historical parliament of the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Feel free to join in if you're reading this/enjoy CK2, it's been a wild ride so far.

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mirdini posted:

I've gotten more enthusiastic about CK2 and in turn CK3 recently, though it certainly wasn't because of PDXcon, which other people who attended have listed the problems with in here. CK2 itself still just has a really nice loop going and if they can maintain that for CK3 I think the particularities of holding distribution aren't going to matter that much re: enjoyment of the game. Really hoping they build it to be as mod-friendly as possible, though it being a paradox game I'd have to imagine they will.

I'd be remiss to post in here about how fun Crusader Kings is and not mention what got me back into it most recently: Hashim's current LP in Let's Play, where a bunch of folks are running the historical parliament of the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Feel free to join in if you're reading this/enjoy CK2, it's been a wild ride so far.

I thought I was well and truly done with reading yet another legislative Paradox LP, but congrats, you sold me with the House of Groves.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Reveilled posted:

I thought I was well and truly done with reading yet another legislative Paradox LP, but congrats, you sold me with the House of Groves.

It even has the mismatched windows lmao

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Enjoy posted:

It even has the mismatched windows lmao

Oh yeah, all credit to SA user Pacho for the art treatment. Implementation into CK2 is Hashim's work.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Load-bearing tabernacle.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Looking forward to someone getting defenestrated after slipping on the stairs

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Mirdini posted:

Oh yeah, all credit to SA user Pacho for the art treatment. Implementation into CK2 is Hashim's work.

And thanks to the all the feedback and suggestions from the rest of the Haute Cour :D

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I want to learn to play EUIV. What's a good beginner nation?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SirPhoebos posted:

Castile or Ottomans.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

SirPhoebos posted:

ottomans are the strongest nation in the game

spain start off in a very safe position and can do alot.

england have a rocky start but it's pretty hard to get into a game losing position as them.

bohemia are pretty good to learn the HRE mechanics and AE management

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Its been a real long time since i played (I am waiting for the patch next year) but I have always felt that Muscovy is a good starter country. Teaches you how to fight, how to deal with subjects, and doesnt have many nearby threats.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah I liked learning with mother Russia, not sure if that's viable or what but, seconding the Muscovy vote.

Is the patch next year going to remove/retools estates to be not horrible?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Ottomans are the classic

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Eimi posted:

Yes, but they haven't revealed any details yet

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Eimi posted:

Yeah I liked learning with mother Russia, not sure if that's viable or what but, seconding the Muscovy vote.

It's very easy to screw up Muscovy early, plus you can get screwed by the random diplomatic situation (basically you have to be fast about subjugating both Novogorod and hordes). Kinda same with France, it's a powerhouse but if you don't know what's what you're gonna get in an early world war. Ottomans and Castille are much harder to screw up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eimi posted:

They are changing it and I could not do the changes justice by trying to describe what they have told us so far so your best bet if you are genuinely curious would be to ask in the EU4 thread or look up the dev diary on it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I would say Castille and England are way too easy, even for a beginner. And Ottomans are too easy too and terrible to explore and colonize, which is a big part of the game

I would recommend Portugal: nice position to explore the coast of Africa, the east and the Americas, pretty safe if you secure a good alliance with Castille, you can wage wars to the weaker north African nations, but is not a power juggernaut, so it still offers a (small) challenge. Its a full EU4 experience and is easy without being baby mode

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I would say Castille and England are way too easy, even for a beginner. And Ottomans are too easy too and terrible to explore and colonize, which is a big part of the game

Terrible to explore and colonize is exactly why its a good beginner nation, it reduces the amount of things you need to learn about at one time.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Also exploration and colonization is super boring in EU4

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Also exploration and colonization is super boring in EU4

Eh, it's an alright loop the first couple times you're doing it, particularly with RNW (with lobby sight off). Gets monotonous pretty quick if you're doing a full game or doing it in subsequent campaigns though yeah.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mirdini posted:

Eh, it's an alright loop the first couple times you're doing it, particularly with RNW (with lobby sight off). Gets monotonous pretty quick if you're doing a full game or doing it in subsequent campaigns though yeah.

I will give Paradox credit for fixing the dreadful EU3 exploration system where you had to move your explorer through each sea zone and micromanage attrition. For me the real sticking point is how barebones the colonial nations are -- there are a couple events giving a little flavor but they're (mostly?) the same for every colonizer and the CNs almost never bother to use their militaries appropriately, even if they have great relations with the overlord. I might try RNW again at some point for a change but it's usually a bore too, with no interesting continents appearing.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Conquest of Paradise got tweaked a while in to be a bit better with the random generation - but there's a few mods on the workshop that add new generations I think as well, and/or at the very least tweak things so its even better.

RNW is underrated, though some of the more outlandish results seem to break the colonizer AI sometimes due to colonial range.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Currently I think it's much more lucrative to just focus on trade companies over actual colonial stuff. But I'm not 100% on that. Also I wish the RNW would focus on forming bigger landmasses. I always just get two smallish islands super far apart from each other and it's rather boring.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Eimi posted:

Currently I think it's much more lucrative to just focus on trade companies over actual colonial stuff. But I'm not 100% on that. Also I wish the RNW would focus on forming bigger landmasses. I always just get two smallish islands super far apart from each other and it's rather boring.

Yeah the real unfortunate thing is that TCs (especially if you're in singleplayer and can thus basically engineer a monopoly everywhere) are absolutely busted and blow the income you can get off colonial nations out of the water. So the only reason to go in on CNs is if you're Iqta govtype (because the bonuses also scale off your CN provinces) or if you're doing it for painting the map/achievement/just wanting to run CN reasons.

I have had a few fun RNWs since they updated the generator but yeah a lot of the time you Just Get Big Falklands Again.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

reignonyourparade posted:

Terrible to explore and colonize is exactly why its a good beginner nation, it reduces the amount of things you need to learn about at one time.

But these things are a big part of the game. Someone wanting to know the game will probably want to try those.

I maintain tha Portugal is good cause you will be doing a bit of everything that makes EU4, but is not hard, nor it is too easy too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 12, 2019

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

But these things are a big part of the game. Someone wanting to know the game will probably want to try those.

I maintain tha Portugal is good cause you will be doing a bit of everything that makes EU4, but is not hard, nor it is too easy too

That doesn't mean they need to learn everything at once.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think you are forgetting just how confusing EU4 is to a brand new player. What would actually happen if you tell someone that Portugal is a great first nation to learn the game with is:

• The Hundred Years War starts up again and France murders all their armies and raises their war exhaustion to 20
  • Burgundy joins the party and murders any armies they had rebuilt and again spikes the war exhaustion
  • Morocco notices Portugal is busy losing to rebels, and their only ally is having a War of the Roses and declares for Ceuta.
  • Morocco takes Ceuta and half of mainland Portugal in the peace.
  • Player quits in disgust and swears to never try a Paradox game again.

Even if you impress upon them the need to break the English alliance and replace it with a Castilian one they'll probably still try to expand into North Africa. That's what you do in strategy games, right? And not knowing the military system they'll lose all their manpower to high attrition and lose every battle to bad terrain. Final result won't differ much from the above.

If you further impress upon them that they should never start a war and only colonize, well that's honestly quite boring. Particularly as a new player playing Portugal. Played by someone who don't know how to work the economy Portugal probably won't have money for more than a single colony until nearly 1600.

In short, you should only tell someone to learn the game with Portugal if you want to convince them that Paradox makes horrible games only played by hardcore masochists.

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 12, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Drakhoran posted:

In short, you should only tell someone to learn the game with Portugal if you want to convince them that Paradox makes horrible games only played by hardcore masochists.

Well... that isn't exactly misleading, now is it?

Anyway I'd think Castile is a better first nation than Portugal because you a) start out stronger, but still pretty limited b) if you can survive the first few decades you're probably going to get a PU for free and becoming a major power without too much effort (and a strong Junior Partner is infinitely better than just having more of your own troops since you don't have to micromanage them like crazy) c) you can colonize, go to war, play the diplomacy game or mostly whatever you want to do and you're always kind of on the fringe of Europe so no one will make a beeline for you

Ottomans is even better because you can do whatever you drat well please and it's borderline impossible to get killed (rather than the "very very unlikely to get killed" of Castile), but you'll know nothing about PUs and very little about exploration or colonization, or getting trade companies - but that could wait a second game honestly. Main concern with the ottomans is they start out SO strong that you could get into bad habits and then get steamrolled if you try to do it again with a smaller nation in a different situation

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 12, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, the idea that the Ottomans are "too easy for a new player" is bunk. There's no such thing as too easy for a new player, let them eat a quarter of the known world and have fun shovelling limitless legions at their opponents.

Then they'll actually continue playing the game as opposed to getting their rear end kicked as Portugal and quitting forever.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drakhoran posted:

I think you are forgetting just how confusing EU4 is to a brand new player. What would actually happen if you tell someone that Portugal is a great first nation to learn the game with is:

• The Hundred Years War starts up again and France murders all their armies and raises their war exhaustion to 20
  • Burgundy joins the party and murders any armies they had rebuilt and again spikes the war exhaustion
  • Morocco notices Portugal is busy losing to rebels, and their only ally is having a War of the Roses and declares for Ceuta.

Even if you impress upon them the need to break the English alliance and replace it with a Castilian one they'll probably still try to expand into North Africa. That's what you do in strategy games, right? And not knowing the military system they'll lose all their manpower to high attrition and lose every battle to bad terrain. Final result won't differ much from the above.

If you further impress upon them that they should never start a war and only colonize, well that's honestly quite boring. Particularly as a new player playing Portugal. Played by someone who don't know how to work the economy Portugal probably won't have money for more than a single colony until nearly 1600.

I was going to type up a reply too but there is no need because you posted this and it is perfect.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the best nation for a new player is Byzantium, unironically. You have obvious goals and succeeding at them requires you to develop a basic grasp of most of the systems in the game, including tricking the AI into doing dumb poo poo. Your starting resources are very limited, so it's impossible to get overwhelmed by options, but once you've gotten a handle on things you can expand super quickly.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
New CK3 dev diary on war. Siege weapons!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Retinues being built-in from the start of the game makes a lot of sense.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Drakhoran posted:

I dunno, Portugal was my tutorial nation and it worked for me, even if it took some restarts

I do believe that starting with a huge nation like Ottomans or England is like starting on endgame. You can try everything, ok. But is like a sandbox, you basically cant lose. Thus I dont think a person will learn much from it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dunno, Portugal was my tutorial nation and it worked for me, even if it took some restarts

I do believe that starting with a huge nation like Ottomans or England is like starting on endgame. You can try everything, ok. But is like a sandbox, you basically cant lose. Thus I dont think a person will learn much from it

In your first game ever you're learning the UI in the first place so a sandbox where you can't lose is exactly what you want.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The best nation to learn EU4 as is whichever nation you think sounds cool.

You're gonna be pretty lost and gently caress everything up anyway on your first few tries, might as well be The Pope while doing it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
There's a difference between "nation you can easily win the game with" and "nation that is good for learning mechanics and not getting overwhelmed".

I think I would feel pretty overwhelmed playing Ottomans as a brand new player. I always pick somewhere really tiny for a new game so I can get a handle on what is going on, even if it means I can't do much.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

cock hero flux posted:

the best nation for a new player is Byzantium, unironically. You have obvious goals and succeeding at them requires you to develop a basic grasp of most of the systems in the game, including tricking the AI into doing dumb poo poo. Your starting resources are very limited, so it's impossible to get overwhelmed by options, but once you've gotten a handle on things you can expand super quickly.

This way you know that EU4 is actually a short roguelike similar to FTL.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

fuf posted:

There's a difference between "nation you can easily win the game with" and "nation that is good for learning mechanics and not getting overwhelmed".

I think I would feel pretty overwhelmed playing Ottomans as a brand new player. I always pick somewhere really tiny for a new game so I can get a handle on what is going on, even if it means I can't do much.

That’s basically my strategy. The very first time I played a Paradox game was Victoria 2, starting as Travancore :smugmrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I think Aragon is a great first country attempt. You have a strong starting position, a good vassal, lots of opportunities to expand in all four directions, and all the fun that comes with European dynastic politics. You can go to North Africa, gobble up Castile or some of France if they get involved in a big war, you can move into Italy from Naples, and it feels very open and relaxing.