Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That's not exo-armour that is a lollipop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Been working on a bigger project so kinda got behind on daily drawings but i'm back baby

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Finished this:

lofi posted:

At some point I need to track down the infamous Chris Hart boob-muscle diagram and save it for when this stuff comes up.

e:

:discourse:

This reminds me of the How to Draw Manga book I picked up at my school's Scholastic book fair when I was 10.

It took me way too long to stop drawing those drat eyes.

Sk8ers4Christ fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 11, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I used to have that one!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

A crack in the mirror

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I feel like I might be on to something. I don't hate these proportions.

also :laffo: at that manga book. I don't feel so bad now :)

e: awful app is awful

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 12, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hey, I hadn't considered that, maybe that's the use for bad drawing books!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The manga book I got in the late 90s was quality, but it still hosed me up and it took art school to (mostly) fix me.

Although what little construction I still do is still fairly informed by it

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

dupersaurus posted:

The manga book I got in the late 90s was quality, but it still hosed me up and it took art school to (mostly) fix me.

I'm pretty sure 90% of an art school professor's job is to tell teenagers to stop drawing animes.

I've been listening to a lot of Not Another D&D Podcast and it inspired me to do some fan art of The Goodest Boy, Beverly Toegold V.

Really hope I got that greasy teenage aura right...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i basically did nothing for all of october. nonetober

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I didn't start drawing until well into my 30s, so I feel like I'm not very good. But this year I did Inktober for the first time.
Here are some inktobers I did. I did every day, but I'm not gonna post all of them.

The unlabeled ones were "ash," "misfit," and "treasure," respectively. The first one is colored with markers, and the last with colored india inks.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Phylodox posted:

I'm pretty sure 90% of an art school professor's job is to tell teenagers to stop drawing animes.

I've been listening to a lot of Not Another D&D Podcast and it inspired me to do some fan art of The Goodest Boy, Beverly Toegold V.

Really hope I got that greasy teenage aura right...
This is a cool illustration but it’s a bit weird from the standpoint of light/shadow. You have this very painterly approach but everything is sort of the same level of contrast. There’s the rim lighting but no sense of a primary light source.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Tried strengthening up the contrast and lighting:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Phylodox posted:

"for the last time, develop fundamentals first, then you can work on your 'style,' whatever that means"

e:

professor: i want your drawings to look like this

student: can i stylize it a bit?

professor: *eye twitches*

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Flavius Aetass posted:

"for the last time, develop fundamentals first, then you can work on your 'style,' whatever that means"

e:

"I'm going into comics, I don't need to know how to draw like that"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

dupersaurus posted:

The biggest, saddest tragedy of going back to art school in my 30s was seeing all the kids who wanted to be "animators" who thought they could get into an animation program with a portfolio full of nothing but drawings of Spongebob and Disney princesses.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
the one guy who keeps showing his scott mccloud book to everyone and won't stop going "this isn't real art" during figure drawing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Phylodox posted:

The biggest, saddest tragedy of going back to art school in my 30s was seeing all the kids who wanted to be "animators" who thought they could get into an animation program with a portfolio full of nothing but drawings of Spongebob and Disney princesses.

do they even tween, bro?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

dupersaurus posted:

Ow ow ow my teenagehood.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Ow ow ow my teenagehood.

Need a drawing of your unique and COMPLETELY ORIGINAL OC right now kthx

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

Need a drawing of your unique and COMPLETELY ORIGINAL OC right now kthx

Go to deviant art and throw a metaphorical dart.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Flavius Aetass posted:

e:

EVERY loving TERM! Now I just make them do both.
One student accused me of "not teaching style".
I gritted my teeth and told him to go develop his own.

Also - this is HILARIOUS:

lofi posted:

At some point I need to track down the infamous Chris Hart boob-muscle diagram and save it for when this stuff comes up.

e:

:discourse:

Would you believe the student who accused me of not teaching "style" was a big anime fan? Yeah... hard to believe, right?

Oh yeah ... content.

Inktober "Sling"

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 13, 2019

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

lofi posted:

That's not exo-armour that is a lollipop.

Oops. Easy to get those confused

Here's a drawing of Bayonetta a twitter friend commissioned.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
wow it's been ages since my last post! I've been doing stuff.... just not my own stuff. Finally decided to develop some more of my own illustrations based on some random prompts and see if I can work them into some apparel designs or something.

And the line-work I did for a beer label design:

my buddy Superfly posted:

Been working on a bigger project so kinda got behind on daily drawings but i'm back baby

Loving these 8-bit doggos (and catte), very OG gameboy.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Propitious Jerk posted:

wow it's been ages since my last post! I've been doing stuff.... just not my own stuff. Finally decided to develop some more of my own illustrations based on some random prompts and see if I can work them into some apparel designs or something.

These are Rad! I love the ball of hands reaching towards the light. I really hope you color it. :3

In other news I have a Wacom intuos from like 2013 and I got it up to date and tried to draw in Clip Art Studio but geez that is hard! Think I am going to stick with traditional for now.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Propitious Jerk posted:

Thank you! I've recently become a big fan of this gameboy color palette i have in Dotpict so I started screwing around with it on CSP which has been working out pretty well I think.

Also when behind on drawings, just draw a pokemon!

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Works ng on artdome stuff. Tried to draw the pink mouse guy before I sort of gave up on the shading and my daughter insisted I draw for her instead.

This was a super rough sketch of a mini in the mini painting thread. I wanted to see what it looked like if I didn't care about anything and just tried to draw what I saw.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Propitious Jerk posted:

As someone who routinely buys alcohol based on the label, I would buy this.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
sketching, trying out brushes

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

been thinking about that yamper

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Inktober 2019 "Coat"

Yeah... I had a few unfinished ones. I made a lot less drawings this year compared to last but I like to think I spent more time on the ones I did draw. Or - just getting old. Also I feel like it is just a prompt to get better with ink, regardless of how many actually get done.

Propitious Jerk posted:

I agree that this is fantastic!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

could use some critique on this one

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I don't think the drone is reading very well. could be lighter or something to make it pop out a bit

looks great overall

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Flavius Aetass posted:

I don't think the drone is reading very well. could be lighter or something to make it pop out a bit

looks great overall

I think a little bit of reflected backlight along the darkest edges would do wonders. Just a half-step or so - nothing huge.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Actually, I think it's not just a value problem. It's also saturation. The saturation of the blues in the drone is very close to the saturation of the greens behind it. I still think the backlight thing will help, but it would help more to significantly desaturate the blues in the drone.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

The purple and blue bits are too compositionally strong, they’re actively drawing the eye around the ship. It’s like you’re trying to hide it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Trees are too saturated and light for the level of light in the picture, they should be mostly shadow and nearly grey at that light level.

If you squint and look at the image, the all the light is in the city, which is why it draws the eye so much. it's realistic, but draws attention from (what I assume you want to be) the focal point of the drone.

Putting a couple of LEDs on the drone might help draw attention to it.

e: oh, it has some. maybe make them brighter?

lofi fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 17, 2019

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Agree that the city and close building are the first read. When I did see the drone, the prominence/brightness of the city and the leading lines in the close building made me assume the drone was flying toward the city. I noticed the cat much later, and then finally noticed the red "eyes" that make the drone look like it's facing the cat, and hovering there instead of zooming towards the city.

I'd say tone down the city - in scale, overall brightness (keep some bright windows and street level glow, but maybe have some darker patches too), and saturation.

I know you're not going for naturalistic colors, but the trees are too bright and too saturated green to belong in a night scene (except under the lights, where that color makes more sense). They should shift towards blue and desaturate and darken. This would make the drone stand out even less, but if the city is toned down the drone won't be fighting so much for attention.

A slightly brighter/larger light source in the room behind the cat could draw a little more attention to the foreground, and motivate some brighter/sharper highlights along the drone, which would help it read while still keeping the overall vibe quiet. The cat could also benefit from some rim lighting.

Well I wrote too much so I did a paintover to show my rough implementation of the above suggestions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

My room is painted all white, which is nice and airy, but feels cold with winter-blue light. So I decided I'm going to do some paintings in hot colours to try and make it a bit more cosy.

(Also - I'm finally doing well enough to get some actual art done! :D )