Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Should be posted everywhere it’s an extremely succinct summary of what’s been happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

harperdc posted:

Reader mode on Firefox/Safari should help.

I think incognito mode on Chrome still works too? Not sure, I use my parent's subscription to the NYTimes like a good millenial (and they use my WaPo subscription, so it's not one sided).

Good, succinct article by Petchesky. There's a great longform to be had about the Ad Apocalypse back in like 2014-2015 that killed websites like the Awl and the Toast and seriously hurt other independent outlets. Until then a small outlet could be profitable by finding its niche, and it didn't have to be that big. Too bad there's no place to publish such a piece anymore.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Barry is a good blogger

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

quote:

Reporting sports with integrity requires knowing that there’s no way to wall off the games from the world outside.

The games are literally played within a rectangular boundary that’s been drawn on the floor/ground, or within actual walls.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

General Dog posted:

The games are literally played within a rectangular boundary that’s been drawn on the floor/ground, or within actual walls.

waiting for ben shapiro to unironically tweet this

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/StevePoliti/status/1194227287270600704

Real good story of the 7 years leading up to a court case about a coach telling a HS freshman to slide. You guess it from the rest of the article, but the ending finally describes the dad and suddenly everything becomes clear:

quote:

Rob Mesar, meanwhile, is convinced his own clumsy testimony doomed his son’s chances to win the case. But it is the play at third base itself that consumes him, night after night, and he figures it will for the rest of this life.

I ask him: Was all this fair? Suing a coach?

He says he is a business owner who would never file a frivolous lawsuit. He believes his son was wronged, that too many of the facts of what happened on that ballfield didn’t come to light in the trial.

He doesn’t lay all the blame at Suk’s feet. He wants accountability from administrators who gave him the job without, he believes, enough preparation to keep his son safe. What about the next kid? Who will protect him?

“You have people just taking the extra $8,000 who don’t know what the hell they’re doing,” Rob Mesar says. “Somebody’s got to be responsible. Nobody is!”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didn’t the parents sign a waiver for their kid to compete

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kalli posted:

Real good story of the 7 years leading up to a court case about a coach telling a HS freshman to slide. You guess it from the rest of the article, but the ending finally describes the dad and suddenly everything becomes clear:

This is like the Streets suing Coach Taylor but a million times stupider

euphronius posted:

Didn’t the parents sign a waiver for their kid to compete

I think the argument for “recklessness” goes beyond what’s in the waiver.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 12, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh it was an insurance company fight over medical bills

If we had universal healthcare this stuff wouldn’t happen

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kalli posted:

More like, suddenly everything becomes clear:

quote:

He says he is a business owner

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sports parents are some of the worst people on earth

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Years of litigation and hundreds of thousands of legal fees and expenses and the jurors just relied on their personal experience to determine it was a normal baseball play. Hahahah

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
To be fair, sliding is bullshit and you shouldn't do it even on nice fields.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

euphronius posted:

yeah but that's, like, communism :ussr:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

To be fair, sliding is bullshit and you shouldn't do it even on nice fields.

what

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I got thrown out of a beer league slowpitch softball game once for not sliding on a forceout at second and destroying the second baseman, AMA

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I got thrown out of a beer league slowpitch softball game once for not sliding on a forceout at second and destroying the second baseman, AMA

Same, but in sixth grade, it was a first baseman, and I clotheslined the kid

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/laurawags/status/1194279108575928321?s=20

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

It hurts. :(

Probably because the fields I play softball on are all pebbly. I hate sliding.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

euphronius posted:

Well more than medical bills, pain and suffering too, along with a shortened life expectancy.

A stupid lawsuit though, the article is right that it would have essentially ended all sports below the college level. Every time a kid gets injured, the question would be, "did the coach act recklessly?" Amazed it even got to a court room, and even more amazed that one juror still agreed with the parents.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Football would not exist (it shouldn’t)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kalli posted:

I thought this was gonna be about a dude getting clobbered on a bad take-out side at first. How does messing up a slide completely obliterated an ankle like that?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It hurts. :(

Probably because the fields I play softball on are all pebbly. I hate sliding.

Get proper trousers and learn how to slide? It can definitely be uncomfortable, but I have more fear of a routine ground ball than sliding into a base.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I thought this was gonna be about a dude getting clobbered on a bad take-out side at first. How does messing up a slide completely obliterated an ankle like that?

I mean, I can see if he slid late and his foot hit the base weird that he could easily break an ankle, but not THAT much damage.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Weak Boy Bones.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ankles are basically the 2nd easiest thing to gently caress up in amazingly simple ways, just behind knees.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I can definitely see a bad slide loving an ankle up pretty badly. Locking your knee and jamming the foot against the bag could definitely do some real damage.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ilmucche posted:

I can definitely see a bad slide loving an ankle up pretty badly. Locking your knee and jamming the foot against the bag could definitely do some real damage.

You don't even need to hit the bag. If maybe the bottom of your foot gets caught on the ground and you keep going you could gently caress it up.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
if you can't see how a bad slide could gently caress up an ankle you're not using your imagination enough

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Get proper trousers and learn how to slide? It can definitely be uncomfortable, but I have more fear of a routine ground ball than sliding into a base.

Saw a guy burst a testicle from a ground ball that took a hop. He had to get it removed, but he hit a walkoff in the final a couple weeks later so I’d say it was a wash.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is like the Streets suing Coach Taylor but a million times stupider

I thought this exact same thing, immediately.

euphronius posted:

Which is what happened in Friday Night Lights!

Eric the Mauve posted:

One of my 3 or 4-ish concussions happened during intermural softball when I got trucked by a bigass frat dude while blocking home plate. The ball got to me first, so the dude got called out after sending me rear end over teakettle. Good on you for not being Chase loving Utley.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This great umpire reaction happened this year in regards to a slide:
https://twitter.com/handlit33/status/1166088651689877504

Covered by our favourite now dead sports site:
https://deadspin.com/francisco-cervelli-lands-flying-karate-kick-on-base-so-1837593689

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ilmucche posted:

This great umpire reaction happened this year in regards to a slide:
https://twitter.com/handlit33/status/1166088651689877504

Covered by our favourite now dead sports site:
https://deadspin.com/francisco-cervelli-lands-flying-karate-kick-on-base-so-1837593689

Hahahahaha that's amazing

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Not sure if this was posted earlier but a few Deadspin people were on this podcast and talked openly on what happened. Surprised at how candid they were about who hosed up.

https://slate.com/podcasts/hang-up-and-listen/2019/11/the-end-of-deadspin-on-hang-up-and-listen

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

One of my 3 or 4-ish concussions happened during intermural softball when I got trucked by a bigass frat dude while blocking home plate. The ball got to me first, so the dude got called out after sending me rear end over teakettle. Good on you for not being Chase loving Utley.

I should have worded that better--what I meant was that I didn't slide, and because I didn't slide I ended up destroying the second baseman. Context: I'm on first, no outs, weak ground ball to shortstop. En route to second I see the shortstop coming in and conclude (a) he won't have a play at second and will go to first, therefore (b) I'm going to take third on the throw to first. But he got to the ball and went to second with it far faster than I anticipated. By the time I saw the second baseman moving across the bag right in front of me to reach out for the throw it's far too late to slide.

The second baseman was a little skinny guy. I'm big and comically uncoordinated, but faster than I look in a straight line. I tried to stop, but no chance. Crushed him like Scott Stevens and sent him flying. Benches clear and the ump screams at me to get the gently caress in my car and leave.

Ump was in the right, by rule in that league if there's a force play at second you are required to slide (presumably to prevent exactly what happened from happening). But it was doomed to happen the instant I decided to try for third, starting your slide too late is exactly how an overweight thirtysomething dude annihilates his knee/ankle/both.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oh man, yeah. You were damned if you did and damned if you didn't in that situation. Hope the dude was OK and that you got a chance to apologize later when tempers had cooled.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Just allow for overrunning every base like 1st base and do the double wide half orange base to give the runner a lane through.

I will die on this hill.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just allow for overrunning every base like 1st base and do the double wide half orange base to give the runner a lane through.

I will die on this hill.

Your bad baseball idea is not as good/bad as "Homerun ends the inning." :colbert:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/UnDeadspin/status/1194332652439883776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh man, yeah. You were damned if you did and damned if you didn't in that situation. Hope the dude was OK and that you got a chance to apologize later when tempers had cooled.

He was fine and I was sentenced to having to bring beer for both teams to the next game we played against that team. :yotj:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I will die on this hill.

Yes, yes you will